or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'

Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'

post #1 of 79
One of the world's most enduring mysteries added another layer recently, as amateur sleuths have discovered what they claim to be the Loch Ness Monster lurking under the water of the famous lake using satellite imagery from Apple Maps, after finding Google's monster tracking solutions unworkable.

"It was purely by accident that I came across the image," Loch Ness Monster enthusiast Andy Dixon told the Daily Mail. "I was trawling through satellite transmissions of different parts of the country and I thought I would try Loch Ness."

"I could see something big under the water and I saved it to my phone. My first thought was that it was the monster and I contacted Gary Campbell of the Official Loch Ness Monster Club," he added. Unofficial clubs have yet to weigh in.

Campbell noted that the ghoulish image does not appear on Google's satellite images of the loch, only those used by Apple's mapping application. Apple's overhead imagery is provided by satellite firm DigitalGlobe, though it is not immediately clear what Apple or DigitalGlobe have done to make the combined solution more suitable for those combing for cryptids.

While the anomaly initially appears to be the wake of a boat, "experts" have noted that it is unlikely as there is no visible hull or superstructure. Imaging errors are also unlikely, as other boats in the area are clearly visible, making the appearance of a mythical creature clearly the more reasonable explanation.

"What ever it is, it's just below the surface and heading south so unless there have been secret submarine trials going on in the loch, the size of the object would make it likely to be Nessie," Campbell said.

"Nessie" can be viewed by clicking here on an iOS device or Mac running OS X Mavericks.
post #2 of 79
Apple Maps. Where no Google satellite has gone before.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #3 of 79
That's definitely not a piece of driftwood! Sweet find!
post #4 of 79
I think both Apple and Google source some imagery from Digital Globe. As they're purchased static images I wouldn't expect they would all match. Years ago another satellite image also supposedly located "Nessie". That one was seen on Google Earth I believe.

But dang, the satellite views being made available to the public are simply incredibly detailed. Some years back we purchased what was at the time a high-resolution regional image from Microsoft for use in creating land maps for a client. IIRC it cost us northwards of $700. It wasn't nearly as detailed at what we have now for free.
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/18/14 at 10:33am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #5 of 79

What a disappoint. All this time we thought Nessie was a Plesiosaur, and it turns out be a humongous Catfish.

Lame.

post #6 of 79
If you look closely, you see it's a ship.
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, actually. . .
http://www.digitalearthblog.com/200908/nessie-found-in-google-earth/
post #8 of 79

Wait! It could yet be a plesiosaur form factor.

If you look at the zoomed image, the sections of body, flippers, and most of the tail are visible and look similar. The more "filled" section, circled in my photo here, appears to be 'wake' from where the creature is closest to or breaking the surface. Presumably that is the base of the neck, which extends down below the surface.

post #9 of 79

Apple Maps showing you images of things that don't exist.  I'm shocked.

post #10 of 79

There is no Loch Ness monster, and I question the sanity of anybody who believes otherwise. It's all superstition and probably good for tourism.

It's a lake. The chances of a big sea creature existing there, swimming around for ages and ages without ever showing itself, or without anybody ever being able to clearly photograph or film it is close to zero. And no, fuzzy and grainy photographs do not count, and they're as legitimate as UFO hoaxes.

Where are the dead loch ness monsters? Is the loch ness monster asexual? Doesn't it reproduce? Is there a family swimming around? Isn't it strange that no evidence of that exists at all, even though it's a lake, not a huge ocean.

I'll change my mind when there is legitimate, scientific proof. Show me a dead loch ness monster, and conduct an autopsy. Same goes for aliens.

post #11 of 79
Actually, I think it's the face of Jesus. Like I saw on my toast this morning.
post #12 of 79
Around my mother's house, which it out in the wild country, Google Maps shows very low resolution satellite imagery, houses are about a pixel wide. Apple maps on the other hand shows detailed high resolution imagery, though it's black and white! 1smile.gif
post #13 of 79
So... a vague photo that could be anything, which has gone through dozens of human hands and dozens of processing steps, including major incentive for pranking, is now considered "evidence." Cool.
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is no Loch Ness monster, and I question the sanity of anybody who believes otherwise. It's all superstition and probably good for tourism.

It's a lake. The chances of a big sea creature existing there, swimming around for ages and ages without ever showing itself, or without anybody ever being able to clearly photograph or film it is close to zero. And no, fuzzy and grainy photographs do not count, and they're as legitimate as UFO hoaxes.

Where are the dead loch ness monsters? Is the loch ness monster asexual? Doesn't it reproduce? Is there a family swimming around? Isn't it strange that no evidence of that exists at all, even though it's a lake, not a huge ocean.

I'll change my mind when there is legitimate, scientific proof. Show me a dead loch ness monster, and conduct an autopsy. Same goes for aliens.
People would have said same about giant squids.
post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

People would have said same about giant squids.

Except the oceans are vast and deep, lots of things could be swimming around there.

post #16 of 79
If you look closely, you see it's Bigfoot.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 79
"Nessie" can be viewed by clicking here on an iOS device or Mac running OS X Mavericks.

That's a joke...I click the link and I get google maps inside apple insider. I thought it was supposed to open in Apple's maps app?
post #18 of 79
Quote:

LOL why would anyone show you anything of the sort? I agree with you I just think the last point is funny. If such evidence exists, you're still not going to see it.

post #19 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Well, actually. . .
http://www.digitalearthblog.com/200908/nessie-found-in-google-earth/

A bit weird to see you posting a link to a Google-bashing article, but I presume you were merely trying to lower yourself to my lame attempt at humour. For that, I command you.
post #20 of 79
Quote:

A bit weird to see you posting a link to a Google-bashing article, but I presume you were merely trying to lower yourself to my lame attempt at humour. For that, I command you.
Thank you. 1biggrin.gif

I've posted a less than favorable Google article more than once. It's seldom noted tho as most folks just aren't that interested in something they assume must be propaganda since a serious Apple fan wan't the one to bring it up. I'm much more middle of the road than some realize.
post #21 of 79
to borrow from Mulder ... "I want to believe"
post #22 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If you look closely, you see it's Bigfoot.

Big Foot has been vacationing in the Pacific NW. He has my iPhone so I'm tracking him.
post #23 of 79
This is how 'Pacific Rim: Nessie's Pissed!' starts.
I was involved in Post Production. NDAs are more guidelines than rules.

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

post #24 of 79
Late April fools joke?
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #25 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post

If you look closely, you see it's a ship.

A ship in a loch?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Late April fools joke?

I think the two likely possibilities are Nessy is real or that's a wind pattern on the water. But I'm only guessing.
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Big Foot has been vacationing in the Pacific NW. He has my iPhone so I'm tracking him.

You're busted—Bigfoot doesn't have any pockets.
post #28 of 79
Quote:

...Show me a dead loch ness monster, and conduct an autopsy. Same goes for aliens.

Show me a live loch ness monster. Much more impressive! (And no autopsy required ;)).

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

post #29 of 79
Could it be the Malaysian airliner?
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Late April fools joke?

I was wondering the same thing.

Any article with the following phrase must be a joke: "making the appearance of a mythical creature clearly the more reasonable explanation"

post #31 of 79
Quote:

But you believe in a god, right?

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #32 of 79
My first thought was that it was the monster and I contacted Gary Campbell of the Official Loch Ness Monster Club,"

Yes, naturally the very first thought of any sane, reasonable person.
post #33 of 79
Quote:
 Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiyo-maru_carcass

Yes I know this is far from proof, but the point is, we just can't say for sure. To make an absolute statement would be ridiculous, either for or against. This world is a crazy place, and with how vast our bodies of water are... you just never know. Plenty of species have evaded us. We have to have faith in how this crazy universe works just because most of it we'll never see, we'll never fully understand, and it sure as heck isn't scientific, most the time. It always remains theories. I expect some day in the future, whether it's a few hundred or thousands of years for things to defy our modern day "laws" of physics.

Look back 500 years and see what they thought. Then a few thousand years. Now we think some things are silly, but we are not exempt of this notion. Whether it's science, society, or medical (chemo for example), our modern day ways will eventually be proven wrong, outdated, or desperate.

Point being, never say never to the things unseen.

post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

My first thought was that it was the monster and I contacted Gary Campbell of the Official Loch Ness Monster Club,"

Yes, naturally the very first thought of any sane, reasonable person.

Actually yeah, it is. I wouldn't go to the press before asking for some confirmation that I wasn't completely crazy.

post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo2222 View Post

Actually, I think it's the face of Jesus. Like I saw on my toast this morning.

Funny! 1smile.gif
post #36 of 79
Quote:

Really? Rationale? Are you trying to convince a bunch of techno geeks that there is no Loch Ness monster? Get outa here!
post #37 of 79
The article never explained why Apple maps were better than Google maps at finding Nessie! It kept saying they were but why???? More detailed in that area? More up to date? Constantly updated?
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What a disappoint. All this time we thought Nessie was a Plesiosaur, and it turns out be a humongous Catfish.

Lame.

Yeah, but at least she'll taste a lot better once we catch her.

post #39 of 79
Comparing the image to the size of trees on the shore, the "Nessie" would have to be 100 feet long. Not possible.
post #40 of 79
Quote:

There is no Loch Ness monster...

Really?

Then you wanna tell me where my tree fiddy went?

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'