or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'

Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster' - Page 2

post #41 of 79
What happened to "News"...
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoC View Post

Comparing the image to the size of trees on the shore, the "Nessie" would have to be 100 feet long. Not possible.

I noted the same thing earlier 1confused.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
post #43 of 79

Apple edits out vehicles.  Look at Apple Maps satellite imagery in New York Harbor for entire schools of Nessies swimming around.  (And check out the roadways for the ghosts of dead cars showing their spectral images!!!  I want to believe!)

post #44 of 79

Although I agree (for the most part) there are fascinating elements to the Loch that fuel the stories. Although it's essentially 'just a lake' it's still incredibly deep, there's very poor visibility due to the peat content and it contains huge underwater caverns. These are the things that really fuel the imagination.

The tales/myths are great for the imagination (especially for children) and the whole community thrives from the tourism so try not to be too hard on them! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is no Loch Ness monster, and I question the sanity of anybody who believes otherwise. It's all superstition and probably good for tourism.

It's a lake. The chances of a big sea creature existing there, swimming around for ages and ages without ever showing itself, or without anybody ever being able to clearly photograph or film it is close to zero. And no, fuzzy and grainy photographs do not count, and they're as legitimate as UFO hoaxes.

Edited by Dazabrit - 4/18/14 at 3:16pm
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

You're busted—Bigfoot doesn't have any pockets.

Bigfoot is carrying that iPhone up his...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

What happened to "News"...

You must be new here. Welcome.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post

"Nessie" can be viewed by clicking here on an iOS device or Mac running OS X Mavericks.

That's a joke...I click the link and I get google maps inside apple insider. I thought it was supposed to open in Apple's maps app?

Yeah I just copied the coordinates and pasted into maps
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Bigfoot is carrying that iPhone up his...

Maybe better to use R. Crumb's version:

post #49 of 79

of course there's a Loch Ness Monster. next you'll be saying there's no Jesus or UFOs and stuff.

post #50 of 79
Buzzkill warning... It's a boat, probably a barge or tour boat. The missing vessel is an artifact of combining multiple photos for a smooth transition.

Don't believe me? Look up the London Eye and check of the Thames. It's swarming with "ghost" ships :-).

post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

The article never explained why Apple maps were better than Google maps at finding Nessie! It kept saying they were but why???? More detailed in that area? More up to date? Constantly updated?

I thought the reason was explained in the article: Google Maps doesn't have Nessie. Apple Maps does. Apple 1, Google 0. Win.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 79

Og come on, look at he context, zoom back a little and you clearly see that the North end of the Loch where this is, is near the outflow of the river There is sediment all over the place in the surrounding water and this is just an eddy in sediment. Done.

post #53 of 79
This story is not being taken seriously enough!

censored

censored

post #54 of 79
There's not enough food in Loch Ness to support a group of breeding "monsters" of any size.
post #55 of 79
"The more reasonable explanation?" *sigh*

I never comment on these articles, but for some reason I couldn't let this one go. I did a few quick minutes of mythbusting and came to the following conclusion (your results may vary.)

post #56 of 79
Well the picture on Apple Maps is real, search for River Ness. Not sure if the dropped pin I did will be a good link but:
A82
Inverness
IV3
Scotland
Near Dores and lairgmore.
It's way bigger than any boats or even houses near it.
post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think both Apple and Google source some imagery from Digital Globe. As they're purchased static images I wouldn't expect they would all match. Years ago another satellite image also supposedly located "Nessie". That one was seen on Google Earth I believe.

But dang, the satellite views being made available to the public are simply incredibly detailed. Some years back we purchased what was at the time a high-resolution regional image from Microsoft for use in creating land maps for a client. IIRC it cost us northwards of $700. It wasn't nearly as detailed at what we have now for free.

If this is so, why is the area around my house vacant land on Google Maps and full of houses on Apple maps?

Poor old outdated Google.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A ship in a loch?
Why not?
http://www.lochness-cruises.com
Besides, Loch Ness is 27 miles long.
post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If this is so, why is the area around my house vacant land on Google Maps and full of houses on Apple maps?.
If what is so? Maps are incredibly detailed now?
post #60 of 79
Quote:

If this is so, why is the area around my house vacant land on Google Maps and full of houses on Apple maps?

Poor old you for living in an area where all your open space gets sacrificed for more housing.
post #61 of 79
Quote:

Didn't you already deleted your google account and services thousand times already! Why there is so much love for Google that you always come back to praise Google with no Google accounts/Services.

On my Mac, Apple map for US shows only land for any address, oh wait,  as far as I don't have to prove anything, I am allowed to say anything, right.   

post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

A bit weird to see you posting a link to a Google-bashing article, but I presume you were merely trying to lower yourself to my lame attempt at humour. For that, I command you.
Thank you. 1biggrin.gif

I've posted a less than favorable Google article more than once. It's seldom noted tho as most folks just aren't that interested in something they assume must be propaganda since a serious Apple fan wan't the one to bring it up. I'm much more middle of the road than some realize.

I have to admit you were quite mockable in the beginning, and it only became appreciative of your posts when I realised your weren't biased but just interested in tech in general, and what each company produces.
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Really? Rationale? Are you trying to convince a bunch of techno geeks that there is no Loch Ness monster? Get outa here!

Next thing you know he'll be telling us Sheldon is only an actor who has almost no knowledge of physics and that pro wrestling isn't real.

Edited by hill60 - 4/18/14 at 11:19pm
post #64 of 79

umm..didn't some guys from the Loch Ness area admit a few years ago that they had perpetuated the fraud?    And they showed how they faked the famous photo of Nessie?

I think this is going to turn out to be the work of a practical joker -someone who embedded the image into the map. 

post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcoop View Post

"The more reasonable explanation?" *sigh*

I never comment on these articles, but for some reason I couldn't let this one go. I did a few quick minutes of mythbusting and came to the following conclusion (your results may vary.)

I'm with you on this. The boat had to have been edited out.
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcoop View Post

Both images show Bigfoot.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I was wondering the same thing.

Any article with the following phrase must be a joke: "making the appearance of a mythical creature clearly the more reasonable explanation"

Yeah, that was going to be my comment. Anyone who writes that seriously, doesn't comprehend the meaning of the words in use. I would certainly hope the article author was being sarcastic.
post #68 of 79
Quote:

Both images show Bigfoot.

Bigfoot joke aside, THIS is the definition of reasonable. But when belief is involved, it doesn't matter how much factual data you give people, those who want to believe in BS will continue to.
post #69 of 79

'combing for cryptids'

Love you AI! Haven't finished reading the article yet, but had to voice my thanks for this phrase. 

“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #70 of 79
It looks almost exactly like this speed boat on the lake just a wee bit away. Dang and I was hoping it was old nessy. 1frown.gif
post #71 of 79
The shape of a ship is clearly visible. Apple erases vehicles from maps, so what we see is the ghost image of the ship, plus its wake. Mystery solved!
post #72 of 79
its a barge one tug on each side, for steering and with a tug astern for propulsion...
post #73 of 79

So what this article is saying is that Apple Maps displays false information? How is this a good thing?

post #74 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

So what this article is saying is that Apple Maps displays false information? How is this a good thing?

Apple maps display information, the interpretation of that information can be false.

According to the satellite image provided by Google maps, I should be sitting on a bare patch of dirt, rather than the house which is shown on Apple maps.
post #75 of 79
Quote:

Apple maps display information, the interpretation of that information can be false.

According to the satellite image provided by Google maps, I should be sitting on a bare patch of dirt, rather than the house which is shown on Apple maps.

Google is still using the same Digital Globe image you originally complained about? Dang, you should have reported it before dumping all your Google services 1tongue.gif. Now we can't look around the yards, which might actually be a good thing as far as privacy so why complain? With that said Bing does a nice job with your neighborhood if it's accurate.
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/20/14 at 5:25am
post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

"False" information? Well,

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #77 of 79
Quote:

"False" information? Well,

Nice one, but there's a difference between believing a creature is real and believing that a screwed up photo is real

post #78 of 79
No one believes it is real. It's a joke story.

censored

censored

post #79 of 79
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'