or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple trademark update suggests company may enter jewelry business, hinting at rumored 'iWatch'

Apple trademark update suggests company may enter jewelry business, hinting at rumored 'iWatch'

post #1 of 54
Apple has broadened its corporate trademark to cover "Class 14" items -- a distinction given to jewelry, clocks and watches, potentially signaling that the company is planning to enter the wearable device market.

iWatch
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton

The trademark change, discovered on Monday by MacRumors, is related to the company's name, meaning that "Apple" seeks to have its name protected in the jewelry business. Product categories in trademark filings are divided into 45 different classes, and Apple's extension specifically looks to qualify the company in "Class 14 (Jewelry)."

"This class includes mainly precious metals, goods in precious metals, and, in general, jewelry, clocks and watches," the definition for Class 14 states.

The class also includes "imitation jewelry," as well as cuff links and tie pins.

Apple has filed jewelry- and watch-related trademark extensions in the U.K., Mexico, Norway and Ecuador. But Apple is not yet protected in Class 14 in its home country of the U.S.

Last year, it was revealed that Apple had specifically applied for ownership of the product name "iWatch." That helped to fuel speculation that Apple is planning to enter the wearable devices market with a new wrist-worn accessory.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.

The "iWatch" trademark was sought under Class 14 as well as Class 9, which includes computers and peripherals.

Apple's Class 14 extension and "iWatch" trademark applications represent a slightly more transparent approach than the company has attempted in the past. For example, Apple began obtaining the rights to the "iPad" name in 2006 through a British shell corporation named "IP Application Development Limited," or "IPAD Ltd."

Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said earlier this month that he expects Apple will launch a so-called "iWatch" this fall in two different sizes, intended to be appropriate for both men and women. He believes the device will sport a flexible AMOLED display and will focus on health tracking and fitness.
post #2 of 54
I hope it's the next iPod Nano: one you can wear on your wrist, but smaller. If anyone can do smaller, thinner, lighter and make it matter, it's Apple.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 54
If true. It is very clever. Jewelry has one of the highest margins (`70%) compared to TV's and Computers in the single digits, if any at all.
post #4 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

If true. It is very clever. Jewelry has one of the highest margins (`70%) compared to TV's and Computers in the single digits, if any at all.

That will not last long, the typical cast of characters will get involved and it become a race to the bottom again.

post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

That will not last long, the typical cast of characters will get involved and it become a race to the bottom again.

They're already involved. Haven't you seen Samsung's terrible offerings so far?

post #6 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're already involved. Haven't you seen Samsung's terrible offerings so far?

my point was they come in copy what works and drive value out of the market.

post #7 of 54
Quote:

i agree.

post #8 of 54
Quote:

Nope.  Google/Samsung/Microsoft cannot compete with Apple as far as taste and style.  No way. 

Now the hire of the Burberry CEO makes perfect sense.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #9 of 54
Quote:

no they won't.

Do you see people paying $5000 for an imitation Rolex watch?  hell no.

Jewerly is a totally different animal from computing devices.  If it wasn't diamond rings, gold braclets, ect should have all been commodized by now. 

post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Jewerly is a totally different animal from computing devices.  

Samsung's plastic crap watch is also category 14, is it not?

"Jewelry" doesn't have to mean gold, diamonds and expensive stuff.

post #11 of 54
Quote:

Samsung's plastic crap watch is also category 14, is it not?

"Jewelry" doesn't have to mean gold, diamonds and expensive stuff.

Apple did not hire the CEO of BurBury and Paul Deneve returns to from Yves Saint Laurenthe for nothing.

Apple's jewerly will look NOHTING like the monstrosity by SamDUNG

post #12 of 54
Quote:

Apple's jewerly will look NOHTING like the monstrosity by SamDUNG

Of course it won't. Apple's will be much, much better. That goes without saying.

I was merely stating that "jewelry" can mean a lot of things.

post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I hope it's the next iPod Nano: one you can wear on your wrist, but smaller. If anyone can do smaller, thinner, lighter and make it matter, it's Apple.

In my opinion, they took a step back with the iPod Nano last refresh.  Regardless, if it's simply an iPod Nano- *yawn*.

Essentially- don't count on it

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini Retina, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #14 of 54

Or maybe they took a step forward, to turn the nano back into a non-wearable to make way for the real iWatch?

post #15 of 54
Quote:

no they won't.

Do you see people paying $5000 for an imitation Rolex watch?  hell no.

Jewerly is a totally different animal from computing devices.  If it wasn't diamond rings, gold braclets, ect should have all been commodized by now. 

Actually, I have seen people in China paying $100 a knockoff Rolex's there are plenty of people willing to pay $100 for something that is suppose to look like $5000 product. Do not kid yourself other companies will not attempt to knock off what Apple is doing especially if it is successful or becomes some sort of status symbol.

post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Or maybe they took a step forward, to turn the nano back into a non-wearable to make way for the real iWatch?

That was 2012.  It's 2014 now.  I doubt the consideration of an iPod nano is being thought of as it relates to the iWatch.

post #17 of 54
Quote:

Which Apple will not join.  This will lead to Apple taking in 87% of all profits made in the global jewelry business, including sales of wedding bands, nose rings, and gold tooth caps.  None of this will matter to those who will produce charts showing Samsung as the leader in smart watch unit volumes as well as their newly released lines of bronze wedding bands, gigantic plastic nose rings, and gold-colored veneers.

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #18 of 54

Maybe Apple Inc. is just taking a preventative measure to block Samsung & Google from marketing a smartwatch called "The Apple Watch".  :)

post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

gigantic plastic nose rings

But they're "open" plastic nose rings.  So you can customize them to whatever you want.

post #20 of 54
Quote:

What are you gonna do? Tether your wrist to your face with ear buds?

post #21 of 54
Quote:

Actually, I have seen people in China paying $100 a knockoff Rolex's there are plenty of people willing to pay $100 for something that is suppose to look like $5000 product. Do not kid yourself other companies will not attempt to knock off what Apple is doing especially if it is successful or becomes some sort of status symbol.

thats my point.  They will be willing to pay $100 for a cheap Rolex knockoff but not $5000.  At that point most people will just shell out $10,000 to get a real rolex.

Samdung/Google/Microsoft won't be able to sell jewery at a 20% discount and beat Apple.  People are willing to pay a premium for jewerly.  Only if they price it 90% cheaper will they get significant sales.  No way on earth can they do that in the jewery segment.

post #22 of 54

I think this trademark update is a very good indicator that iWatch (and more) is on the way.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think this trademark update is a very good indicator that iWatch (and more) is on the way.

It seems hard to deny they are making some sort of wearable.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The class also includes "imitation jewelry"...

lol sometimes subtle humor is the best

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

You did not come into the world to fail. You came into the world to succeed.

- Gordon Hinckley

post #25 of 54

While at brunch on Sunday, April 13, 2014, I sat next to a family of four. Mom and Dad lived in Harrisburg. One daughter lived in Los Angeles. The other daughter lived in London. They all had iPhones, which made me smile. What hit a somewhat emotional nerve was seeing the father prick his finger to draw blood for analysis before taking an insulin shot.

I immediately remembered all the rumor articles about what might be coming in iOS 8 for iPhone 6 and/or iWatch. I started talking to the father about the possibility of him never again having to prick his finger to draw blood for insulin analysis starting in September of THIS year thanks to upcoming Apple medical technology. I stressed possibility to them, but the significance of Apple making this stuff real was overwhelming to them and me!

When asked how the technology could work, I pulled out my iPhone 5S and showed how Touch ID works and said the blood analysis technology could be embedded in the Home button just like the finger print technology. And, Reminders could be set up to notify him it was time for him to analyze his blood and inject insulin.

Blown away in an understatement!! The man and his wife were amazed about what could be a thing of the past for him. He has been pricking his fingers multiple times a day for over 20 year. To think Apple just might be on the brink of bringing part of the invasive procedure to an end in just five months boggled their and my minds.

IF Apple brings forth the medical technologies we have been reading about, there will be no limits to the very real benefits the technologies will bring to humankind around this world we live in!!!

post #26 of 54
Quote:

It doesn't matter to Breitling or Tag that Casio and Timex have already reached the bottom of the current timepiece market.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 54
Quote:

Don't forget: Tim Cook has already announced the iRing. 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

While at brunch on Sunday, April 13, 2014, I sat next to a family of four. Mom and Dad lived in Harrisburg. One daughter lived in Los Angeles. The other daughter lived in London. They all had iPhones, which made me smile. What hit a somewhat emotional nerve was seeing the father prick his finger to draw blood for analysis before taking an insulin shot.

I immediately remembered all the rumor articles about what might be coming in iOS 8 for iPhone 6 and/or iWatch. I started talking to the father about the possibility of him never again having to prick his finger to draw blood for insulin analysis starting in September of THIS year thanks to upcoming Apple medical technology. I stressed possibility to them, but the significance of Apple making this stuff real was overwhelming to them and me!

When asked how the technology could work, I pulled out my iPhone 5S and showed how Touch ID works and said the blood analysis technology could be embedded in the Home button just like the finger print technology. And, Reminders could be set up to notify him it was time for him to analyze his blood and inject insulin.

Blown away in an understatement!! The man and his wife were amazed about what could be a thing of the past for him. He has been pricking his fingers multiple times a day for over 20 year. To think Apple just might be on the brink of bringing part of the invasive procedure to an end in just five months boggled their and my minds.

IF Apple brings forth the medical technologies we have been reading about, there will be no limits to the very real benefits the technologies will bring to humankind around this world we live in!!!

Don't oversell them on possible upcoming products! Always undersell, then let Apple over deliver.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 54
Quote:

Don't oversell them on possible upcoming products! Always undersell, then let Apple over deliver.

I understand what you are conveying. I wrote, "I stressed possibility to them, but the significance of Apple making this stuff real was overwhelming to them and me!" Not until I actually experienced the rumor benefits, did the rumors become more than rumors to me. I had a lot of "What if this stuff is real?" questions going on in my head and heart. I felt emotion. I felt great that a company I am a fan and shareholder of could be on the brink of changing the world in a extraordinarily spectacular manner. Even now as I try to grasp the significance of what could be coming, I am awestruck.

Here is something else to think about... A sound engineer is supposedly attempting to understand the sound of blood flow in an attempt to predict heart attacks is working at Apple right now. How crazily awesome is that?

I use a Polar heart rate monitor to measure my heart beat as I run, ride and lift just to see how my heart beat changes over time from exertion. How awesome would it be for me to hear my heart beat as well as seeing it on my iPhone. It boggles my mind that as an iOS programmer I can capture and analyze my personal heart beat data just to understand what is going on and to improve my daily exercise. The heart rate monitor does not know my mood nor the good/bad food, water or alcohol intake I had the night before a morning exercise, but I do. And, as long as I am honest about documenting all of this information in my personal iPhone app then analyzing my strong, less strong, weak and truly weak days is an eye opener.

post #30 of 54
I seem to recall TV shows (comedies I presume) where the regulars talked into their rings, tie clasps, lapels, and of course, their ubiquitous shoes.

Silly becomes the future.
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

It's the worst being an Apple and Samsung fan, great article but then you see 

:no::no: just pathetic

That's ridiculous. A person can't be both. That's like rooting for the allies and the axis at the same time.

post #32 of 54

I think it would very interesting to see actual jewelry from Apple.  Designed by Ive and his team it would command a premium and would surely be beautiful.  I'm talking gems and precisous metal only - no electronics.  There are numerous specialty jewelry makers out there and like someone mentioned, the margins are amazing.  It would also serve to build the luxury component of the Apple brand.  The pure jewelry could even match or coordinate with the electronic jewelry of the iWatch.

post #33 of 54
Quote:

That's ridiculous. A person can't be both. That's like rooting for the allies and the axis at the same time.

lol Maybe you shouldn't view people with different preferences than you as enemies. 

post #34 of 54
Its the worst being an Apple and Samsung fan

I’m honestly uncertain how you could be. At all.

You could possibly be okay with purchasing Samsung construction equipment and Apple electronics, but Samsung is Samsung, regardless of their industry.

post #35 of 54
Quote:

Don't be ridiculous.

post #36 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

You're saying that Rolex had no hope when Texas Instrument offered $20 digital watches in 1977. Interestingly enough TI is out of the watch business and Rolex is still going strong. Cheap crap cannot compete in the luxury market.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #37 of 54
Quote:

1oyvey.gif1oyvey.gif  just pathetic

Looking down on other people does not make you better than them.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 54
Quote:

Everyone seems to assume that the iWatch will run iOS. But what if it runs Pixo OS (the iPod OS)? In its latest incarnation on the iPod nano 7th gen it seems to have evolved quite a lot since the original iPod in 2001, mimicking iOS pretty effectively (though with the pre-iOS 7 look). The latest  iPod nano already has everything needed for the iWatch hardware-wise, including bluetooth 4 LE, it just doesn't have the form factor. Heck, Apple could even release a software update for the nano that enables communication with iOS devices for notifications and other stuff (they won't do it of course).

Using Pixo OS would mean less demanding hardware and more battery life compared to an iOS iWatch.

The main disadvantage of using Pixo OS would be that third party apps wouldn't be as easy to develop as developers are used to iOS. 

But does the iWatch really needs to run third party apps directly to be useful and successful? Do people expect to use complex apps on a small watch screen? 

This thing likely won't have 3G/4G connectivity and may not even have Wifi, so it will be dependent on a cellphone or tablet to enable a lot of its functionality anyway. That being the case, why not keep non-essential iWatch apps running on the iOS devices themselves (iPhone/iPad), projecting the interface on the iWatch screen much like "iOS in the car" does? It may look like a clunky solution, but if it works well it could be pretty seamless.

post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Don't be ridiculous.

`I'm 100% serious.

I don't see how any informed person could possibly claim to be a fan of Apple and another company which leeches and copies from Apple. 

If these confused people were diagnosed with a tape worm in their intestines, would they claim to be a fan of the parasite, while it's eating away at them?

post #40 of 54
Quote:

`I'm 100% serious.

I don't see how any informed person could possibly claim to be a fan of Apple and another company which leeches and copies from Apple. 

If these confused people were diagnosed with a tape worm in their intestines, would they claim to be a fan of the parasite, while it's eating away at them?

You don't think someone could have a MBP and say, "This is the best notebook for my needs" and also have a Galaxy Note 3 and say "This is the best smartphone for my needs" or a Samsung HDTV, and say "This is the best TV for my needs."? if not, then you don't think Apple can be a fan of itself and say "This is the best component for my needs" when it comes to SSD controllers, NAND, and displays, yet they buy these things in bulk among others because Samsung, despite their ethical shortcomings, are best in class for certain products and for certain people.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple trademark update suggests company may enter jewelry business, hinting at rumored 'iWatch'