or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Leonardo DiCaprio may take lead role in Steve Jobs biopic with Danny Boyle at the helm

Leonardo DiCaprio may take lead role in Steve Jobs biopic with Danny Boyle at the helm

post #1 of 41
With Sony's big-budget Steve Jobs biopic in limbo after David Fincher backed out of the project, fresh rumors say director Danny Boyle may reteam with Leonardo DiCaprio to take on the story of Apple's cofounder.

Steve Jobs

According to a Monday report from The Hollywood Reporter, Sony is in discussions with Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire, Trainspotting) to direct the biopic based on Walter Isaacson's official Jobs biography.

In the same report, the publication said Boyle approached DiCaprio to play Jobs, though it is unclear if the actor is interested in the role. The two previously worked on 2000's The Beach.

Monday's news comes one week after director David Fincher reportedly pulled out of the project after making excessive demands of $10 million in up front payment and full control over marketing. Sony was supposedly hesitant in handing over the reigns after a marketing debacle with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

A report earlier this year claimed Fincher would only direct the feature if actor Christian Bale agreed to play Jobs.

For now, the only confirmed name on the roster is screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, who won an Oscar for his work on The Social Network. Like Jobs' biopic, Social Network revolved around another big Silicon Valley name in Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg.
post #2 of 41

Interesting. I hadn't considered DiCaprio, but he's good.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 41
Christian Bale would nail Jobs' voice a lot better than DiCaprio, not that Leonardo is bad by any means. Patrick Bates is only a haircut away from being Jobs.

Jobs, checking out Bill Gates' business card: "Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh, my God. It even has a watermark."
post #4 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Interesting. I hadn't considered DiCaprio, but he's good.

Good actor but I can't see him in that role.

What about Daniel Day-Lewis as Steve Jobs?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 41
Well there's a movie I won't be seeing. Terrible actor and an even worse choice as lead in this movie should it come to pass.
post #6 of 41

One of the best actors alive

post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

One of the best actors alive
Hardly
post #8 of 41
DiCaprio was terrible as Howard Hughes, and there would be some direct similarities to a 'Jobs' character/bio, can't imagine he'd do any better.

This whole endeavor has Hollywood schlock written all over it. It's too soon, plus the cheesiest late 90's tv office drama screenwriter, combined with trying to staple on whatever famous flavor of the month lead actor, all so they can squirt this abortion out quickly.
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Hardly

who should be on the list than?

post #10 of 41
Daniel would be amazing as always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Christian Bale would nail Jobs' voice a lot better than DiCaprio, not that Leonardo is bad by any means. Patrick Bates is only a haircut away from being Jobs.

Considering Bale's thin, wheezing fake-wrestler Batman voice, I think he's better off not trying to "do voices".  I've always thought that Liev Schreiber should just dub all of Bale's roles, cause at least he's got some fuzz on the potatoes when he hits the lower registers. 

post #12 of 41

I would watch this in a heartbeat. I love Leo's movie choices and acting abilities and I'm almost a fan of his work since Catch me if you can. People on internet forums are quick to judge and never take the time to give people a chance. I'll use Heath ledger as an example. So many people on the internet ridiculed him at the time and he turned out to be a fan favorite after playing the role (regardless of his death).

post #13 of 41
Quote:

I have no doubt he'd do a fantastic job but he's a tough one to convince to take a role. He does so much research and training for his characters, he seems loathe to commit to a role he won't be comfortable with for years at a time.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have no doubt he'd do a fantastic job but he's a tough one to convince to take a role. He does so much research and training for his characters, he seems loathe to commit to a role he won't be comfortable with for years at a time.

I, for one, am not in any rush to see a movie about Jobs.

post #15 of 41
Quote:

I, for one, am not in any rush to see a movie about Jobs.

Point taken.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 41
Daniel Day Lewis without a doubt.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

who should be on the list than?
Day-Lewis or Bale I'd rather see in all honesty.
post #18 of 41
DiCapro looks nothing like Steve and he's not nearly as tall.
post #19 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

DiCapro looks nothing like Steve and he's not nearly as tall.

There is a 0.05 meter difference. That one aspect is well within an acceptable range.

post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Considering Bale's thin, wheezing fake-wrestler Batman voice, I think he's better off not trying to "do voices".  I've always thought that Liev Schreiber should just dub all of Bale's roles, cause at least he's got some fuzz on the potatoes when he hits the lower registers. 

Bale's actually very good at voices. Have you ever heard his natural Welsh accent? It's jarring 

post #21 of 41

Hugh Jackman had been a better choice!, still DiCaprio is better than Bale

Steve Jobs was a funny person while Day Lewis or Bale are not funny at all they only do dramas

post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Day-Lewis or Bale I'd rather see in all honesty.

I would rather see Day-Lewis over Bale. I think it will be hard for people to immerse themselves into the film if they see Bale, instead of saying oh that's Jobs, they'll say look it's Batman.

post #23 of 41

Bale and Lewis are too old for the time covered in the film. Boyle and DiCaprio are a great choice. It's certainly more accessible than Fincher and Bale. This one unlike the Fincher scenario, actually sounds like it can make it's money back and even make a tidy profit.

Or more to the point, people will actually see this movie.
post #24 of 41
Only if Scorsese is directing.
post #25 of 41
They already made the definitive Jobs / Apple film - Pirates Of Silicon Valley.

Anthony Michael Hall was brilliant as Gates.

Noah Wyle was good as Jobs. Jobs even had Wyle imitate him at Macworld.

Plus, the whole thing was very non-serious and tongue-in-cheek. Not turgid and ponderous like this movie will be.
Edited by vaporland - 4/22/14 at 4:17am
Ask me about.... The 80's!
Ask me about.... The 80's!
post #26 of 41

Edward Norton!  I think he can capture the geeky and furious side of Jobs.

post #27 of 41

Does there really need to be another Steve Jobs movie? This is what the 3rd or 4th one in the past few years?

post #28 of 41
No, just no. It's getting embarrassing now with the movies. I liked Pirates once I saw the humorous angle, the Funny or Die movie was weird, the only saving grace about the Kutcher film was how much he looked like Steve.. Now we get another go round of "let's see if they **** up or get it right." I'd love to see a really good movie about him, but so far I doubt it will happen and I am not holding my breath.
post #29 of 41
I have plenty of memories of the real Steve Jobs; there's an abundance of footage readily available. As such, I don't want to sully the real man with a caricature, no matter how good.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Daniel would be amazing as always.

Too old.
No more Brits playing American icons.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #31 of 41
I liked the social network, but it took itself a little too seriously. Hopefully this one can have artistic integrity while having a little fun, too. Dicaprio could work, bale could work, but only if they did something completely new. A few of dicaprios characters have come across similar recently - so he'd have to really try something new here. I really like him in many movies though. Bale is good at doing unique characters - but I don't know if he could nail this role like it needs. I almost think bale would be too artsy with it. Lewis was kinda funny in Lincoln, and Steve jobs had a funny side, so he could work. I can picture him doing it.
post #32 of 41

Stop looking for look a likes. A good actor is a good actor. Hollywood make up artists can do what so many people seem to be hung up on.

post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

Stop looking for look a likes. A good actor is a good actor. Hollywood make up artists can do what so many people seem to be hung up on.

So you'd be fine with Meryl Streep playing Steve Jobs and Cate Blanchet as Steve Wozniak? Maybe Judi Dench as Bill Gates and Quvenzhané Wallis (image link) as Steve Ballmer?

post #34 of 41
So youd be fine with Meryl Streep playing Steve Jobs

She was great as General Grievous in Star Wars: Episode III.

…Cate Blanchet as Steve Wozniak?

“In place of blinkenlights you would have a SCREEN! NOT DARK BUT MONOCHROME AND GREEN AS THE PLAINS! EXPANDABLE AS LEGOS! FASTER THAN THE ALTAIR! ALL SHALL BITMAP AND DESPAIR!”

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #35 of 41
Quote:

The Batman "voice" is just Bruce Wayne whispering/rasping to avoid being recognized and was first done by Michael Keaton. It got over-enhanced in post in The Dark Knight and that's when some people started making fun of it. The choice to always do the voice when he's wearing the mask, whether he's talking to people who know who he is or not, is either cool or cheesy depending on your taste. (Supposedly the explanation is that mask has a voice modifier that does it automatically so Bruce doesn't mess up his throat.)

post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

The Batman "voice" is just Bruce Wayne whispering/rasping to avoid being recognized and was first done by Michael Keaton. It got over-enhanced in post in The Dark Knight and that's when some people started making fun of it. The choice to always do the voice when he's wearing the mask, whether he's talking to people who know who he is or not, is either cool or cheesy depending on your taste. (Supposedly the explanation is that mask has a voice modifier that does it automatically so Bruce doesn't mess up his throat.)

Its clearly understood why he's doing the voice, its the how he's doing the voice that's very sub standard.  The excuse given was "enhanced in post" but that's press damage control.  Did they pitch shift him?  No.   Did they use some harmonic or modulation effects on his voice?  No.  Did they excessively compress or EQ him?  No.  Did they do anything special to Bale's Batman voice versus all the other actors?  No.  That's just Bale trying to sound low and manly, but ending up sounding weak and wheezy because he's got no power in that lower end (bottom) of his vocal register.  

post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

She was great as General Grievous in Star Wars: Episode III.

:lol: Bravo, sir!

post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Hugh Jackman had been a better choice!, still DiCaprio is better than Bale

Steve Jobs was a funny person while Day Lewis or Bale are not funny at all they only do dramas

Obviously you've never seen My Left Foot.  

It's hysterical, he's in a wheel barrel being crazy for like the whole movie.  

Rambling like he's blazed out of his mind, painting with his foot... good times.

post #39 of 41
Quote:

So you'd be fine with Meryl Streep playing Steve Jobs and Cate Blanchet as Steve Wozniak? Maybe Judi Dench as Bill Gates and Quvenzhané Wallis (image link) as Steve Ballmer?

Just reverse Victorian Theater.  Don't be uptight.

post #40 of 41
Quote:

Just reverse Victorian Theater.  Don't be uptight.

It's not about being uptight it's about trying to recapture the person which in a medium of moving pictures needs to make it clear who the actor is. Gabourey Sidibe could have take over Kristen Bell role in Frozen because it's an animated cartoon because it's just a voice but I don't think Gabourey Sidibe as good as actor as she is could reasonably play Christian Bale or Robert Downey Jr.'s role in The Dark Knight and Iron Man movies.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Leonardo DiCaprio may take lead role in Steve Jobs biopic with Danny Boyle at the helm