or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple print ad touts environmental responsibility, pokes fun at Samsung [u]

Apple print ad touts environmental responsibility, pokes fun at Samsung [u]

post #1 of 46
Apple gave its legal adversaries a bit of a ribbing on Tuesday as the company took out a full-page ad in UK newspapers saying, "There are some ideas we want every company to copy," alluding to Apple's environmental awareness [updated with a high-quality image].

Click for larger.

The tongue-in-cheek jab, spotted by AppleInsider reader Janak, is likely in reference to Apple's ongoing court battle with Samsung. Apple is suing the Korean company over alleged patent infringement in multiple jurisdictions including California, where a second jury trial is currently underway.

The ad's text is overlaid atop a picture showing off Apple's gigantic solar array -- the largest end user-owned facility in the U.S. -- that powers its data center in Maiden, N.C. At the bottom of the page is a URL directing readers to Apple UK's environmental responsibility webpage.

Update:

Click for full-size scan.

Apple's ad comes on the heels of a public push touting the company's environmental initiatives. On Monday, the company launched its "Better" campaign with a short video in which CEO Tim Cook named various Apple initiatives created to foster environmentally sound business practices.

Tuesday's ad rolls out alongside a redesigned environmental responsibility mini-site that educates visitors about Apple's green initiatives like hardware recycling and the use of renewable energy at data centers, corporate buildings and retail stores.

In addition, Apple Stores received special treatment for Earth Day as outlets around the world changed the color of the Apple logo's leaf to green. The modified trademark was also found on retail store employees, who donned green t-shirts and special ID cards to commemorate the event.
post #2 of 46
Brilliant !

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

post #3 of 46
That's awesome. 1smile.gif
post #4 of 46
"We want to leave the world better than we found it".
Really?
Then stop selling all-in-one Macs (a waste of displays!!!).
post #5 of 46
I'm just waiting for someone to complain that the ad was in print. I'm sure the earth day crowd is anti paper.
post #6 of 46

LOL, That's a good one.  A positive AD.

It certainly of better taste than the competitor's negative Ads.

Keep 'em coming.

post #7 of 46
"Apple customers worldwide followed in Apole's footsteps by using a green Sharpie to permanently color in the leaf on their laptops and iPhones.
post #8 of 46
Those solar panels look like ipanels. I wonder if Apple received a patent on solar panels on grass (verry conceivable in our patent system). Good for them though, just screams a tad arrogance though, like smeeling your own fart arrogance. I think Google has spent nearly 2 billion dollars on clean energy owns the world's largest solar farm, and some giant winds farms. They are without a doubt the leader in clean energy between the likes of Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc. Yet I've never seen them take out a full ad on doing what most publicly aware company should be doing. Weird.
post #9 of 46
Peterbob - google does invest in clean energy, but by their own admission is only at 34% use. Apple is at 73%. That's why google hasn't trumpeted their stats.
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post

Brilliant !

That was the word i was looking for

post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclephil View Post

Peterbob - google does invest in clean energy, but by their own admission is only at 34% use. Apple is at 73%. That's why google hasn't trumpeted their stats.

Makes complete sense when Google started building data centers this type of green technology was rare. Apple might have 5% of the data centers capacity Google does. The fact that Google has gotten its massive data centers to 34% over the last few years is amazing. Where as apple just started building data centers a few years back with green energy in mind. 78% seems Meh.
post #12 of 46

I like the message. Their agency probably had a difficult time figuring out something workable for the layout

post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Really?

Sorry but this is just stupid. You need a display don't you?

post #14 of 46
Really?

How about you just stop buying Apple products and leave us all alone? You will never, ever, at any point in the future, get an xMac.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbob View Post

Makes complete sense when Google started building data centers this type of green technology was rare. Apple might have 5% of the data centers capacity Google does. The fact that Google has gotten its massive data centers to 34% over the last few years is amazing. Where as apple just started building data centers a few years back with green energy in mind. 78% seems Meh.

Going farther, I would bet that if you took Google's 34% compared to Apple's 78%, Google would still be in the lead by actual volume. 

post #16 of 46
Quote:

Those solar panels look like ipanels. I wonder if Apple received a patent on solar panels on grass (verry conceivable in our patent system). Good for them though, just screams a tad arrogance though, like smeeling your own fart arrogance. I think Google has spent nearly 2 billion dollars on clean energy owns the world's largest solar farm, and some giant winds farms. They are without a doubt the leader in clean energy between the likes of Apple, Microsoft, Facebook etc. Yet I've never seen them take out a full ad on doing what most publicly aware company should be doing. Weird.

No; Apple is far ahead of Google in clean energy.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #17 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Going farther, I would bet that if you took Google's 34% compared to Apple's 78%, Google would still be in the lead by actual volume. 

And by that rationale, Google are also in the lead in terms of the volume of non eco-friendly power sources and the amount of greenhouse gas emissions, deadly toxins and other poisons they're pumping into the environment. Way to go.

post #18 of 46
Quote:

Really?

You don't understand what you are complaining about. If and when you don't want to use it as a computer, you can still use it as a display.

Quote: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

• Support for Target Display Mode via the Thunderbolt port using a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt cable (sold separately)
post #19 of 46
Quote:

Really?

Apple will probably leave the world in better shape than you. But we can test the proposition. Dig a hole. Lie down in it. Cover your self up. Decompose. No rush. We'll wait.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #20 of 46
Quote:

Google reportedly became "carbon neutral" in 2007.

Google maintains at least a couple of dozen data centers and perhaps more with quite a few spread around the world in locations that perhaps have no access to "green energy". But kudos to Apple for keeping it in mind as they build new centers.
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/05/15/google-data-center-faq/
melior diabolus quem scies
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm just waiting for someone to complain that the ad was in print. I'm sure the earth day crowd is anti paper.

I didn't think of it till your twisted mind came up with it. Like BobSchlob says, you're even trolling earth day. Nice.
post #22 of 46
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
I didn't think of it till your twisted mind came up with it. Like BobSchlob says, you're even trolling earth day. Nice.

How is a joke trolling?

post #23 of 46
Quote:

Really?

Huh, what?  And laptops?  Those should come without displays too?  How far should we take modularity?  Before you answer, please remember, the whole thing is recyclable.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
post #24 of 46
Quote:

You clearly didn't get the reference to Samsung.  First, Apple has put out an advertisement with a positive message; that it would be great if we all were more environmentally conscious.  It didn't say it's the only one, just as Apple would not claim to be the only computer maker, or the only smartphone maker, or the only tablet maker.  So you don't need to read into this that Apple considers itself the only environmentally conscious company on the planet.  But, as one of the companies that is environmentally conscious (among many) Apple is saying it would be nice if others followed suit.  And at the same time it's taking a jab at Samsung, a noted fast-follower that is not so noted for its environmental consciousness. and no, I don;t see google putting out a similar advertisement; but then again, who is fast-following Google?

post #25 of 46
Quote:

It's not just about data centers and clean energy.  It's also about environmental stewardship in the building and packaging of products.  And that extends deep into the supply chain.  Is Google delving deep into the supply chain of any Nexus devices it has manufactured on its behalf, or is it simply taking the position that that's the responsibility of its partners?  How about Motorola when it owned that company?  Has Google done this and subsequently reported what it has found to anywhere near the extent Apple has?  Maybe Google doesn't have so much to tout in a similar advertisement.

post #26 of 46
Quote:

which is to say also that, Google would be in the lead by absolute volume of server farm footprint that uses traditional energy sources.  Can't have it both ways.

post #27 of 46
It made me smile when I saw it in the newspaper this morning!
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

It's not just about data centers and clean energy.  It's also about environmental stewardship in the building and packaging of products.  And that extends deep into the supply chain.  Is Google delving deep into the supply chain of any Nexus devices it has manufactured on its behalf, or is it simply taking the position that that's the responsibility of its partners?  How about Motorola when it owned that company?  Has Google done this and subsequently reported what it has found to anywhere near the extent Apple has?  Maybe Google doesn't have so much to tout in a similar advertisement.

The 78% "green" figure Apple mentions does not include product manufacturing, packaging or delivery.

Motorola Mobility's environmental goals and manufacturer responsibility report can be found here:
http://responsibility.motorola.com/index.php/environment/operations/
http://responsibility.motorola.com/index.php/suppliers/

while many of Google's goals and initiatives are discussed here:
https://www.google.com/green/
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/22/14 at 11:51am
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The 78% "green" figure Apple mentions does not include product manufacturing, packaging or delivery.

Motorola Mobility's environmental goals can be found here:
http://responsibility.motorola.com/index.php/environment/operations/

while many of Google's goals and initiatives are discussed here:
https://www.google.com/green/

Of course not. Are Motorola Mobility's or Google's numbers different?

Unless you're trying to tell us that, (i) These two do include manufacturing, packaging and delivery; and (i) These two are doing better than 78%, what's your purpose in giving us the links?

post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How is a joke trolling?

When you consider the source, and his background of beFUDdlement when it comes to anything progressive from Apple. And that includes new products as well.

I should say "their" background, because I believe he/she is more than one person.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

you would be wrong. Paper is a renewable resource.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #32 of 46
Quote:

Really?

don't like it? don't buy it.  Don't need a new keyboard, mouse and display? buy a Mini or a Pro.   Wanna piss on someone's parade? go somewhere else. 

Edited by snova - 4/22/14 at 11:30am
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course not. Are Motorola Mobility's or Google's numbers different?

Unless you're trying to tell us that, (i) These two do include manufacturing, packaging and delivery; and (i) These two are doing better than 78%, what's your purpose in giving us the links?

RadartheKat asked some questions and I offered links to find some of the answers. Perhaps you didn't see his post. I doubt they were questions you had so why does it matter to you?

I thought you would be more interested in my response to the questions you had here yet never acknowledged:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/178688/samsung-experts-say-apples-patented-features-not-valuable-in-trial/120#post_2519606
Edited by Gatorguy - 4/22/14 at 12:23pm
post #34 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

Google built a data center near here that gets all its power from a coal plant.  They claim that buying offsets from wind farms on a different grid makes that data center "green".  That's a far cry from powering a data center with actual renewable energy.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Google built a data center near here that gets all its power from a coal plant.  They claim that buying offsets from wind farms on a different grid makes that data center "green".  That's a far cry from powering a data center with actual renewable energy.

A new plant powered by coal? Which one was that? You'd think they'd plan better and make sure there was renewable power available for at least a good part of their needs.
post #36 of 46

PRICELESS!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

A new plant powered by coal?

did you get a new can of lube for Easter? ;-) 

post #38 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

You quoted him as saying 78% when it was 73%, but you also misattributed that number to data centers when it is all Apple facilities in total. Their data centers are at 100%. 

Quote: http://www.apple.com/environment/climate-change/
 As of 2013, we’ve already converted 73 percent of the energy for all our facilities — 86 percent for our corporate campuses and 100 percent for our data centers.
post #39 of 46
Quote:

Really?

Notebooks, the majority of sales, are all in ones.

The iMac 27 (the only iMac worth buying) works as a display for MacBooks with thunderbolt.

The 21" model is pretty stupid, 2.5" HDD, no target display mode, non-user accessable ram modules.
post #40 of 46
Quote:

I don't think you understand what Google is doing. They call out multi-million investments in energy projects, but when you read the details what they are actually doing is just contracting power purchase agreements from the facilities. That does have positive effects for both sides, but it means that Google doesn't own the facilities or even a percentage of the facilities when they do that. They do get a percentage and in at least one case all of the output from a wind or solar farm. Essentially Google is just pre-purchasing power for operations to ensure they have what they need. 

Apple's carbon footprint dwarfs Google's because of the manufacturing of its products. Google's numbers don't look like they include subsidiaries like Motorola (2012 numbers) or the manufacturing of Google branded products, but either way you would expect Apple to still be higher due to the volume of the devices they sell.

Google's power purchase agreements offset 504,657 metric tons of CO2 emissions in 2012. If you look at Apple's numbers for 2013, it had offset 73% of the .6M metric tons of CO2 emissions for all of its facilities. That would put Apple's number at 438,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions offset with renewable energy. By those numbers it shows Google has offset more power than Apple, but even if we had the 2013 numbers it doesn't appear to be an enormous amount. Google also has some private renewable power like the solar array at their headquarters which wouldn't be accounted for in their PPA offsets. The real difference here is Apple's actual investments in renewable infrastructure and not just investments as purchase agreements.

So Apple is buying solar, hydro, etc to operate and generate their needed power and Google is pre-paying about 1/3 of their electric bill from renewable sources. Both approaches have positive merits, but I currently favor Apple's approach. When Google's PPAs expire, Apple will still have their infrastructure. It does put Apple in the power generation business, but they probably outsource the work anyway. Google is doing this behind the meter side as well, but just on a much smaller scale. I just like Apple's side from a true investment perspective for renewables. Google's approach has some really good upside for the public utility sector and that should not be lost. I still don't like Google, but their current renewable approach is probably better than many of the other companies out there. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple print ad touts environmental responsibility, pokes fun at Samsung [u]