or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple tech takes on distracted driving, blocks users from texting while behind the wheel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple tech takes on distracted driving, blocks users from texting while behind the wheel - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post
 

People before they died in car accident said the exact the same thing

 

 

 

You can take your little condescending lecture and cram it.  

 

 

Quote:
Yes it's a huge difference, my advice when your driving dont use touch controls let Siri do it for you 

 

Great, I didn't ask for your advice  You're also totally wrong.  Looking at a map is far more distracting than sending a quick yes or no.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

So my pregnant wife, who is due to give birth any day, would not be able to send me a text because the phone has decided that I am driving and it would therefore be unsafe?

The day Apple implements this "feature" is the day I get rid of my iPhone.

Yes. If she texts you and then you crash and burn, there'd be a lot of guilt. She could call you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This completely ridiculous and I will abandoned iPhone over it if this is forced upon me with no way of Disabling.

It's not that I need to text and drive. It's about control. Apple has no right to control such things. For that matter, human beings must stop accepting such bullahit. You so not need laws and restrictions to protect you from yourself...what you need is common sense. We need to advocate the spread of common sense and knowledge....not treat EVERYONE like idiots for the sake of a few.

This is absolute WRONG way to handle these issues and I will protest it til the end. If Apple ever forces this upon me, I will demand they remove it or take my iPhone back and refund my money, along with all the money I've spent getting into the iPhone ecosystem.

Why have laws then? If common sense solves everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAmazingThing View Post

The only valid argument is a measure of control. It is already illegal to text and drive...no need to let some third party restrict you from texting and driving.

Imagine if all cars had breathalyzers installed by default...

More people are texting and driving than DUI.
post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAmazingThing View Post

The only valid argument is a measure of control. It is already illegal to text and drive...no need to let some third party restrict you from texting and driving.

Imagine if all cars had breathalyzers installed by default...
I'm imagining that would actually be a really good idea.

If it's illegal, then why object to enforcing the law with technology? Unless you intend on breaking the law, that is.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I am glad Apple is introducing this now. Maybe less deaths will not happen with this new technology they are producing.Texting and driving is a slow suicide for both driver and pedestrian.

Sadly there is nothing slow about it. Further it is manslaughter bordering on murder in some cases. Worst yet it is young woman that seem to be killing themselves and friends at a very high rate. We have had some really ugly deaths locally, like a young woman driving an SUV full of friends into a tractor trailer at full speed. It isn't slow death when you do something like that, it is rather instant and devastating.

Honestly sometimes I'm glad I never had kids as I'm not sure I'd ever want to give them the keys to a car.
post #45 of 72
I have had a number of similar experiences over the last few years. Frankly in all my years of driving I had fewer contacts with drunk drivers. Everything from guys running red lights with their head glued to a phone to people drifting from lane to shoulder oblivious to people using the road with them. It is so bad that I've given up riding my bicycle in some areas. People are simply unaware of the people around them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLuvr View Post

A car came with two feet of hitting me as I crossed the street walking last week. Guess what, the driver was texting... maybe to his pregnant wife.

Sunday evening, I was run off the road by... guess what... some numnutz texting.

If you don't believe this is a serious problem with all the senseless deaths that have been caused, then you are an idiot. If somebody needs to contact you, they can ring the phone and you can answer on bluetooth... either OEM on your car or a visor mount. There is zero reason to be texting while driving. Zero.

Agree 100%

Sadly these guys will make al sorts of claims like I missed him (after swerving through traffic). Or the classic one is I didn't see him (which of course you can't see him if you are texting). Right now the problem is far worst than drunk driving as far as real danger on the road. I'm not a fan of drunk driving either but it is time to start putting these people behind bars just like drunk drivers and if the situation fits convict them of manslaughter or murder and label the bastards for life.
post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Sadly there is nothing slow about it. Further it is manslaughter bordering on murder in some cases. Worst yet it is young woman that seem to be killing themselves and friends at a very high rate. We have had some really ugly deaths locally, like a young woman driving an SUV full of friends into a tractor trailer at full speed. It isn't slow death when you do something like that, it is rather instant and devastating.

Honestly sometimes I'm glad I never had kids as I'm not sure I'd ever want to give them the keys to a car.

 

I was so tuned into my own experiences with idiot people texting while driving over the past week that I forgot to mention that my Mom and I came across a road block in PA due to emergency vehicles. A young man was texting while driving coming down the mountain in Lycoming County when he hit a pickup truck head-on and sent it off into the woods. I don't know the outcome from the accident.

 

So that is three personal incidents I have experienced in the past week, one almost sending me to the hospital. Use your phone to speak in the car. Only idiots text and drive. Period. 

post #47 of 72
It'd be much nicer if Siri mentioned you had a text and possibly read it to you. I often use Siri to compose texts to my wife while driving to coordinate evening activities on my commute home.
post #48 of 72

Yes, but you are talking versus looking at your phone and typing. That's a huge difference.

post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLuvr View Post
 

Yes, but you are talking versus looking at your phone and typing. That's a huge difference.

 

I am pretty sure a number of folks have demonstrated that even a hands free conversation can be just as distracting as any other activity routinely conducted in a moving vehicle - it is your brain that needs to be on task when driving as much as your eyes. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Sadly there is nothing slow about it. Further it is manslaughter bordering on murder in some cases. Worst yet it is young women that seem to be killing themselves and friends at a very high rate. We have had some really ugly deaths locally, like a young woman driving an SUV full of friends into a tractor trailer at full speed. It isn't slow death when you do something like that, it is rather instant and devastating.

 

So what you are saying is that the real problem is young women. Maybe we need to raise the minimum driving age until a point at which addictive text messaging is no longer predominant behavior. Or a maturity test as a component of the licensing process. 

post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post


I'm imagining that would actually be a really good idea.

If it's illegal, then why object to enforcing the law with technology? Unless you intend on breaking the law, that is.

 

I don't think people have really thought about a world where laws are enforced 100% of the time by technology. The experience of law enforcement for all of history has included committing a noticeable crime and police actually noticing and making a human judgment call to do something about it because it's a higher priority than something else. Trying to have machines make it physically impossible for humans to deviate from a program is a terrifyingly dehumanizing idea.

post #51 of 72

So passengers can't send texts?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

It'd be much nicer if Siri mentioned you had a text and possibly read it to you. I often use Siri to compose texts to my wife while driving to coordinate evening activities on my commute home.

 

The Bluetooth feature in my Honda can read texts.  Works with both iPhones and Androids.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #52 of 72

Apple Insider needs a grammar lesson in "present tense".  To read the headline and first sentence of this story, one would conclude that this is a fait accompli.  That Apple is doing it NOW.  

 

But it is not so.

post #53 of 72

Horribly intrusive idea Apple! Are you now the technology police? 

 

Unqualified drivers is the reason people get into accidents. This stupid check some boxes on a test and park between two cones is an ignorant way to issue licenses. People on a regular basis should have to pass a stringent virtual reality driving test that will measure reaction time, decision making, and law knowledge. 

 

I've seen only one person while driving in San Diego that almost caused an accident while texting. All others are just stupid people who have no right behind a speeding bullet. I literally witness people stopping on the highway (yes, on the highway) waiting to get into the lane that empties onto the ramp because they, for whatever reason, did not get over soon enough. 

 

Fix the problem first! The problem is people driving who should not be, or should be restricted to surface streets. Or speed up the adoption of technology that has senses its surroundings. 

 

Whatever has this tech in it, I will NOT buy! 

post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

More people are texting and driving than DUI.

That's a good point...I don't want my phone to tell me what I can and can't do though. Seems wrong.

 

But even still I don't think this tech is being understood properly. Also, with EVERY major mobile OS having decent to good hands free capabilities I don't see why this is even an issue.

 

I don't want people to text and drive. I'd rather they did not...especially since most people drive a lot worse than they think they do.

post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

How does this thing differentiate between driving a car vs. riding as a passenger?

Read the article next time.

post #56 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post
 

Horribly intrusive idea Apple! Are you now the technology police? 

 

Unqualified drivers is the reason people get into accidents. This stupid check some boxes on a test and park between two cones is an ignorant way to issue licenses. People on a regular basis should have to pass a stringent virtual reality driving test that will measure reaction time, decision making, and law knowledge. 

 

I've seen only one person while driving in San Diego that almost caused an accident while texting. All others are just stupid people who have no right behind a speeding bullet. I literally witness people stopping on the highway (yes, on the highway) waiting to get into the lane that empties onto the ramp because they, for whatever reason, did not get over soon enough. 

 

Fix the problem first! The problem is people driving who should not be, or should be restricted to surface streets. Or speed up the adoption of technology that has senses its surroundings. 

 

Whatever has this tech in it, I will NOT buy! 

Maybe you should educate yourself.  The majority of accidents are not caused by unqualified drivers.  You live in CA, you know the driver test behind the wheel does not include parallel parking!  They have not done that in decades.  You only demonstrated your own ignorance.  If you did research, you would know 23% of accidents were caused by cell phone use (1.6M accidents).  Do some research before you claim you know what you are talking about.  I have done insurance claims for 20 years and inattention by cellphone use, and other distractions, have increased.  The majority of accidents are caused by inattention, following too close, turning left in front of traffic, or running red lights.  It has nothing to do with unqualified drivers.  Sounds like you could care less about safety and drive and text all the time because you claim you are such a hotshot driver, and know-it-all.  So you think a car driving itself or sensing surroundings will fix the driver inattention?  You are a fool.

 

http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/texting-and-driving-stats/

post #57 of 72
This technology could be built without regard to using a camera ON the phone using accelerometers and other such devices... hence putting something over the camera lens is only something someone with too much time on their hands would do.

Car rolling over and still being able to text? Unbelievable you came up with that one. Go ahead and get rid of your iPhone, Apple doesn't need owners of that mental caliber.

Wife pregnant having to get to the hospital. Make some plans in advance, don't rely on any one thing. This was one of the biggest reaches today.

You guys aren't helping, only proving to the international community that we have a LOT of stupid people such as the ones Jay Leno used to interview off set
. Maybe change the word LOT to MOST.
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
 

Looking at a map is far more distracting than sending a quick yes or no.  

Ur right about that but what about other people? female in general...are they gonna do the same? just send a quick yes or no

 

Apple introduced this feature for two things 1 save people lives and 2 saving themeselves from lots and lots of lawsuits

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #59 of 72

Calling and texting must be band all  together just like Germany. In fact many other activities such as eating must be band as well. Driving requires complete concentration and it takes a split second  to put yourself and others in a compromised position. 

post #60 of 72

There are too many what if's and they are valid but there are too many people are getting killed or badly injured on a daily bases so you can't really base your argument around the what if's that are low in probability 

post #61 of 72
Sounds like a overly complex solution. Windows Phone just recognises your car Bluetooth to enable driving mode.

Good to see that it could be coming to iPhone as well. I imagine it would be optional for users to turn on like the WP version.
post #62 of 72

The article says that once something is out there that can prevent  distracted driving that laws will be passed to make them mandatory .I am a small government kinda guy so I do not want to see that. However whats going to happen is product liability lawsuits. As it stands now, a cell phone manufacture has never been successfully  sued due to someone using the phone and then hitting some innocent person.  Once there is technology that allows for a phone to be used and tell the difference between the drive and a passenger, and do it automatically , then every cell phone that does not have that type of program installed will be hit with massive lawsuits every time there is a cell phone caused wreak. 

 So if you what to get rid of it, the next phone will have it too, because the next cell phone maker does not want to get sued. 

 Think car set belts, go and try and order a car with out set belts, can not do it, because the car makers know that they would be sued if they sent one out of the factory without one and someone got hurt in that car.  Its not laws that are going to make this type of technology common place, its lawsuits. 

post #63 of 72

no if his wife is driving , she is on her way to the doctor. He can do nothing for her, unless he is also her doctor. However, she may be killed because he was texting her while she was driving , and she was already under a lot of stress , text just made her more distracted , so she killed some little girl while she was texting back or reading the text sent by the husband . Oh yes I know, I am a jerk , but this happens every day.  

post #64 of 72
Finally - a step in the right direction!

I've had enough of inconsiderate cell phone drivers! If it's truly an emergency that's one thing but I'd wager that 99.99% of all cell phone use while driving is not essential "life or death" communication. More and more people every day waste my time every day with their selfish needs to check their bookface, read email, tweet or the thousands of other stupid uses done behind the wheel.

As a motorcyclist, I fear for my life while they risk having nothing more than a fender-bender. What gives these thoughtless people the right to risk MY life? I'm not only on-board with any technology to lessen reckless cell phone use while driving, but I'm also for extremely harsh penalties for these mindless idiots -- especially if involved in an accident -- especially if a fatality is involved.

And don't try to think that "I'm not the problem, I can drive fine while using the phone" bull$hit. NO YOU CAN'T! I drive 100,000 miles a year and I can tell in an instant when a driver is distracted to the point of knowing whether its a phone call, reading or checking status.

Just drive people and use the phone when you get there!
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Ur right about that but what about other people? female in general...are they gonna do the same? just send a quick yes or no

 

Apple introduced this feature for two things 1 save people lives and 2 saving themeselves from lots and lots of lawsuits

 



1. Apple hasn't introduced this "feature." It's simply being explored.
2. I don't see what a person's gender has to do with it. Females being verbose is a stereotype.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #66 of 72

If she is that close to delivery may be you should be with her. This is for a safety and reducing the number of accidents that texting while driving is causing. Maybe while you are driving her to the hospital a stupid driver is texting and rear ending you. Then how you feel about this?

post #67 of 72
Just as long as it has an "off" switch. When I am a PASSENGER in a car, I'd be super ticked off if my phone suddenly disabled my ability to text (or any other function).
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Ur right about that but what about other people? female in general...are they gonna do the same? just send a quick yes or no

 

Apple introduced this feature for two things 1 save people lives and 2 saving themeselves from lots and lots of lawsuits

 



1. Apple hasn't introduced this "feature." It's simply being explored.
2. I don't see what a person's gender has to do with it. Females being verbose is a stereotype.

A stereotype that is founded on the truth, in my experience.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #69 of 72
This is obtuse. If I'm figuring out where to meet someone for lunch/dinner and I'm on the road, I should be able to glance at my phone while I'm stopped at a red light to see what the plans are, or if any changes were made. I shouldn't have to pull into a parking lot and shut off my vehicle just to read a god damn text....
post #70 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


A stereotype that is founded on the truth, in my experience.

 

All stereotypes are based in some truth.  They become stereotypes when vast generalizations are made and/or assumptions are drawn thereafter. The implication that women can't answer a quick text with a "yes" or "no" is a perfect example.  I know many women who don't fit the stereotype. iMember's comment was really not pertinent whatsoever.    

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLuvr View Post

A car came with two feet of hitting me as I crossed the street walking last week. Guess what, the driver was texting... maybe to his pregnant wife.

Sunday evening, I was run off the road by... guess what... some numnutz texting.

If you don't believe this is a serious problem with all the senseless deaths that have been caused, then you are an idiot. If somebody needs to contact you, they can ring the phone and you can answer on bluetooth... either OEM on your car or a visor mount. There is zero reason to be texting while driving. Zero.

 

 

Perhaps you need to find new ways home. You seem to be VERY prone to accidents. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
 

Maybe you should educate yourself.  The majority of accidents are not caused by unqualified drivers.  You live in CA, you know the driver test behind the wheel does not include parallel parking!  They have not done that in decades.  You only demonstrated your own ignorance.  If you did research, you would know 23% of accidents were caused by cell phone use (1.6M accidents).  Do some research before you claim you know what you are talking about.  I have done insurance claims for 20 years and inattention by cellphone use, and other distractions, have increased.  The majority of accidents are caused by inattention, following too close, turning left in front of traffic, or running red lights.  It has nothing to do with unqualified drivers.  Sounds like you could care less about safety and drive and text all the time because you claim you are such a hotshot driver, and know-it-all.  So you think a car driving itself or sensing surroundings will fix the driver inattention?  You are a fool.

 

http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/texting-and-driving-stats/

 

Firstly, the parking between cones was to show the absurdity of, not an actual test model. FACT, I never took a physical driving test in CA, so actually, I would not know that. FACT 23% is NOT the majority. Talk about ignorance! 

 

Inattentive or unskilled, I view them as being the same, although I concede I should have used the word inattentive for clarity for you. If you are not able (skilled) to drive due to distractions, you should not drive. If you are unable to know what distractions will lessen your ability to be attentive, then you are too unskilled to drive. 

 

If you are abler to drive with distractions and still be attentive, you have a higher level of skill. 

 

To better phrase. Those unskilled, or unable to drive with distractions, or have the inability to be attentive at all times, should not drive! 

 

This is by NO means me suggesting people should drive and text, or drive and the many other distractions people take on, but to point out, there are more people that should not have a license to drive due to the lack of their skills, then those using phones. Im my most humble opinion. If we gave real driving skills tests in a simulator, that would far greater reduce the risk to others, while probably removing those too stupid to text, drive, and be attentive. :) 

 

Thanks for the reply.  

post #72 of 72

I live in an urban environment and, no, I am not prone to accidents. I am athletic and have never had a broken bone save for a toe broken while jumping into a pool when I was 16.

 

I walk to work and do cross some major roads, but always in the crosswalks. Arlington, Virginia has laws regarding right-away to pedestrians. These incidents are not the only ones I have seen, but ones that by chance involved me just before this post came out. I will venture to guess that you have seen cars swaying on the road as idiots are texting. I have witnessed this at least a dozen times in the last year. It is a subject of conversation with my friends and relatives. The problem is ubiquitous.

 

If I were a lawmaker, I would submit a bill that required texting to be shut off during high speed travel, with an automated text reply saying "call on the phone if you need to contact me". I know it's a hassle for people riding trains or passengers in cars, but if it saves just one life or keeps one person from being maimed, isn't that enough?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple tech takes on distracted driving, blocks users from texting while behind the wheel