or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor again claims Apple's jumbo-sized 5.5" iPhone will launch after new, larger 4.7" model

Rumor again claims Apple's jumbo-sized 5.5" iPhone will launch after new, larger 4.7" model - Page 4

post #121 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except then there’s no point to a larger screen.

Though I’m warming to 4.7” a little.

I've been saying for years that people don't have an issue with anther display, it's having to get a significantly larger and heavier device in order to have it. If the usability isn't severely hampered by comparison then I'm all for it. And while I see how Apple could make the impact of a 4.7" device inline with the current iPhone I have trouble seeing this happening for a 5.5" model.

That said, culture change and Apple has successfully deprecated the need for the traditional "PC" that larger mobile devices as a primary computing device seem to the trend, especially in countries with logographic systems.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #122 of 142
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
…especially in countries with logographic systems.

They never had a problem with flip phone screens, though. I’m to understand that Japan still has a fairly large share of them.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #123 of 142
Quote:

They never had a problem with flip phone screens, though. I’m to understand that Japan still has a fairly large share of them.

Define problem? If you count the number of units sold or used we never had a problem with flip phones of blackberries (or any other less effective technological option) but when something more useful get presented it can quickly become canon. The iPhone and iPad are direct examples of this, and I think a larger display is likely more useful for cultures with complex logographies.

post #124 of 142
Define problem?

Wasn’t your implication that the screen was too small for either readability or usability regarding the input thereof, and that a larger screen (having, assumedly, more pixels and/or a greater surface area) would facilitate it better?

I keep remembering Japan still having a large number of flip phones despite all these other options.

post #125 of 142
Quote:

Wasn’t your implication that the screen was too small for either readability or usability regarding the input thereof, and that a larger screen (having, assumedly, more pixels and/or a greater surface area) would facilitate it better?

I keep remembering Japan still having a large number of flip phones despite all these other options.

It's not about being bad, but rather something being more ideal. Take the SDTV we grew up on. SD TV tubes and SD channels. These weren't unwatchable, but HDTVs which LED backlights and HD channels are better.

Technology is an interesting beast because we can go from not conceiving of something or feeling we don't need/want it to feeling as though we have to have it almost instantaneously. The Blackberry wasn't bad before the iPhone but now it's laughable. The 3.5" 480x360 resolution iPhone was a huge display with a lot of pixels for its time but now we want a lot more because it's more useful, even though you can still read on the original iPhone.

With logograms I can conceive of those users finding a larger display more useful and therefore gravitating to even phablet sized devices, especially if that is their primary personal computing device.

post #126 of 142
Quote:

Except then there’s no point to a larger screen.

Though I’m warming to 4.7” a little.

That's a matter of opinion and preference. Apple being who they are, would not increase screen size if there was no point. 

The point being I suspect Apple being unable to cram more tech into a small chassis and public demand.

post #127 of 142
It's not about being bad, but rather something being more ideal.

Ah, okay. I understand now. But still, you’d think that if a platform was more ideal for a certain type of input (et. al.) that they’d be flocking to it by now…

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

The point being I suspect Apple being unable to cram more tech into a small chassis and public demand.

People don’t know what they want until you show it to them. ;)

post #128 of 142
Quote:

Ah, okay. I understand now. But still, you’d think that if a platform was more ideal for a certain type of input (et. al.) that they’d be flocking to it by now…

To your first point, to some extent people are flocking. All one need do is consider collectively that most people buying an LG G2, HTC One, Samsung S4/S5, Note 3, etc etc are not also buying iPhones. While I have an S5 and 5S and 5, I am certainly in the minority. Otherwise that will equate to well north of 40 million+ people who are passing over the iPhone, and I'm willing to bet the screen size is the number one allure of competitors. Most of these competitors are also in the same flagship price bracket so price will not be the defining factor.

To your 2nd point, yes Apple has been very good at opening eyes, but in this case eyes are already open. People are just waiting on Apple to get it together: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/178977/survey-suggests-apple-could-sell-15m-more-iphones-in-us-with-larger-5-display-option

post #129 of 142
Quote:

To your first point, to some extent people are flocking. All one need do is consider collectively that most people buying an LG G2, HTC One, Samsung S4/S5, Note 3, etc etc are not also buying iPhones. While I have an S5 and 5S and 5, I am certainly in the minority. Otherwise that will equate to well north of 40 million+ people who are passing over the iPhone

Many more are flocking to the iPhone as indicative by the most recent sales number.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #130 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

To your first point, to some extent people are flocking. All one need do is consider collectively that most people buying an LG G2, HTC One, Samsung S4/S5, Note 3, etc etc are not also buying iPhones. While I have an S5 and 5S and 5, I am certainly in the minority. Otherwise that will equate to well north of 40 million+ people who are passing over the iPhone

Many more are flocking to the iPhone as indicative by the most recent sales number.

This is not a zero sum game.

Rewind to 2011 and among flagship device buying consumers it was damn near all iPhone.

That's not the case anymore. Now tens of millions are actively passing over the iPhone for competing flagship devices, with the largest impetus being screen size.
post #131 of 142
Quote:

This is not a zero sum game.

Rewind to 2011 and among flagship device buying consumers it was damn near all iPhone.

That's not the case anymore. Now tens of millions are actively passing over the iPhone for competing flagship devices, with the largest impetus being screen size.

So if Apple makes a big screen phone, then what? What's the next feature to go after? Do you want Apple to be the only company that's successful selling smartphones?
post #132 of 142
Quote:

So if Apple makes a big screen phone, then what? 

Then there will probably be blood in the streets for a short period of time as lots of android phones don't get sold. The great disparity currently present that draws people to android will be gone resulting in: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/178977/survey-suggests-apple-could-sell-15m-more-iphones-in-us-with-larger-5-display-option

Quote:
 What's the next feature to go after?

Whatever the market dictates, apparently, since that is driving the increased screen size. Tim Cook and SJ have made their thoughts on screen size well known and it conflicts with the current market trends and demands so Apple is conforming.

Quote:
  Do you want Apple to be the only company that's successful selling smartphones?

Irrelevant, and insipid. 

I like my iPhone 5S, and I like my Samsung S5 even more so it is my daily driver. I'm agnostic, and don't all that wrapped in corporate drama. All I care about is the product that suits me best at the moment.

post #133 of 142
Quote:

That is one of those half - truths. Much of the time they know what they want from a functionality standpoint. If a bigger screen makes something easier to view or navigate, the screen size is merely a means to an end assuming any incidental drawbacks are outweighed by the advantage. I find it a little weird to use to that quote repeatedly as a point of reasoning.

post #134 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

That is one of those half - truths. Much of the time they know what they want from a functionality standpoint. If a bigger screen makes something easier to view or navigate, the screen size is merely a means to an end assuming any incidental drawbacks are outweighed by the advantage. I find it a little weird to use to that quote repeatedly as a point of reasoning.

The question is would all these people be calling for a big screen iPhone if they hadn't seen it on a competitor's device?
post #135 of 142
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

If a bigger screen makes something easier to view or navigate, the screen size is merely a means to an end assuming any incidental drawbacks are outweighed by the advantage.

The quote may be a half truth, but the conclusions many draw from it are equally so. For example, “I want a larger screen” is in no way a valid position. How much larger? “Larger”. I’m sure they’ll get right on that, skippy.

People may want a larger screen, but they don’t know how large a screen they actually want… until Apple shows it to them.

Me… I’m ready for a 4.7”. I just wish it still had flat sides, because it’s going to be slippery as all get out.

post #136 of 142
Quote:

The question is would all these people be calling for a big screen iPhone if they hadn't seen it on a competitor's device?

I'm not sure. I think some of them would, but I don't know how to quantify it.

Quote:

The quote may be a half truth, but the conclusions many draw from it are equally so. For example, “I want a larger screen” is in no way a valid position. How much larger? “Larger”. I’m sure they’ll get right on that, skippy.

People may want a larger screen, but they don’t know how large a screen they actually want… until Apple shows it to them.

Me… I’m ready for a 4.7”. I just wish it still had flat sides, because it’s going to be slippery as all get out.

With many components it costs more to make the device more compact. LCD screens and their respective implementations within a device are not this way, so I think it is entirely feasible that with earlier iphones, they were going for something that could be sourced at a cost effective rate. It doesn't even have to be Apple. Apple is just in a good position there because they have a high degree of control over both the hardware and direction of the OS. They can mitigate the use of weird scaling methods and other problems when it comes to matching the device.

post #137 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post

What Kind of Woman Are You TALKING ABOUT ?

Like THIS ???

Must all your posts include a silly photo and a bombastically oversized, red font? This is even worse than people who type in all caps.

post #138 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

More and more every day I see young people, teens and early twenties, using large screen Android phones.

Even a year ago I saw more iPhones in use but that trend seems to be changing amongst people in that are group.

Anecdotal evidence... true... but...

The most meaningful part of your comment was the last line: "Anecdotal evidence".

Most of those Android users you're seeing are not former iPhone users who have switched to larger Android phones. They are simply Android customers who are buying whatever's being pushed to them.

Platform Loyalty

From a Yankee Group survey last year,

• "91 percent of iPhone owners intend to buy another iPhone, while 6 percent plan to switch to an Android device with their next purchase."
  • "76 percent of Android owners intend to buy another Android phone..." indicating that 24 percent of Android phone users plan to switch to another platform - 18 percent to iPhones.

http://allthingsd.com/20130426/androids-leaky-bucket-loyalty-gives-apple-the-edge-over-time/

iOS vs. Android 4 Year Projections

Why Larger Phones?

Android smartphone manufacturers push larger phones because they lack Apple's design and engineering prowess to deliver a high performance device in a compact design. What Apple does is hard. It's much easier to design a larger phone with good battery life.

This fascination with larger phones (the complete opposite of every other technology trend, including cell phones historically) is largely manufactured by Samsung's $14 billion marketing budget.

post #139 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post

What Kind of Woman Are You TALKING ABOUT ?

Like THIS ???

Must all your posts include a silly photo and a bombastically oversized, red font? This is even worse than people who type in all caps.

Brightens up the forum.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #140 of 142

Could you at the very least use a more up to date article. This one is a year old.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #141 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Could you at the very least use a more up to date article. This one is a year old.

The article referenced a Yankee Group survey that was conducted last year. I am not aware of a more recent version.

Can you cite a more current analysis or was that not included in your Samsung Astroturfer Starter kit?

Edited by freediverx - 5/20/14 at 7:04am
post #142 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

The article referenced a Yankee Group survey that was conducted last year. I am not aware of a more recent version.

Can you cite a more current analysis or was that not included in your Samsung Astroturfer Starter kit?

Really? You're that lazy.

SAS kit.  Hahahahahahahahaha... good one.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor again claims Apple's jumbo-sized 5.5" iPhone will launch after new, larger 4.7" model
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor again claims Apple's jumbo-sized 5.5" iPhone will launch after new, larger 4.7" model