or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 7.1.1 with improvements to Touch ID, keyboard

Apple releases iOS 7.1.1 with improvements to Touch ID, keyboard

post #1 of 67
Apple on Tuesday released iOS 7.1.1, a minor update for its mobile operating system that's intended to address a few bugs, including an issue that could affect keyboard responsiveness, while also further improving the performance of the iPhone 5s Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

iOS 7.1.1 is now available through Software Update in the Settings application on an iPhone or iPad. Documentation accompanying the update says it contains "improvements, bug fixes and security updates."

Apple has said that iPhone 5s owners will also see further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognition after installing the update -- something the company has continuously done since the launch of the handset last year. The update is also said to fix an issue that could arise when using Bluetooth keyboards while VoiceOver is enabled.

April 22, 2014

The latest iOS update follows March's release of iOS 7.1, a significant upgrade that addressed a number of issues that had lingered since last fall's debut of iOS 7. In particular, iOS 7.1 fixed a number of crash-related issues that iPhone and iPad users were experiencing while using the multitasking view and browsing the web in Safari.

April 22, 2014

iOS 7.1 also brought improvements for Siri and Touch ID, and also set the stage for the launch of CarPlay in supported vehicles and aftermarket install kits later this year.

Animation

As for the next major update to iOS, Apple is expected to introduce its eight-generation mobile operating system at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. The conference will kick off on June 2, likely with a keynote presentation to formally unveil iOS 8, along with any other products the company may have in the works.
post #2 of 67
The keyboard already became a lot more responsive on my iPad with the 7.1 update. Still, I take it, thanks Apple.

Hmm, 1.26GB for my iPhone. Are delta's only available over cellular? Not that it matters to me, but sometimes I read people complaining about size...
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #3 of 67
let us change the color of the keyboard to gray or black like in other Apple apps it changes....
post #4 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hmm, 1.26GB for my iPhone. Are delta's only available over cellular? Not that it matters to me, but sometimes I read people complaining about size...

?

Mine is only 18.8 MB

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #5 of 67
Not seeing it
post #6 of 67

Why did it ask me for my passcode? Is that new?

post #7 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

I don't think so. Not newer than iOS 7.

post #8 of 67
It asked for my passcode too... and mine was only 28.8 MB. (iPhone 5S)
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Mine is only 18.8 MB

Weird. Oh, and my iPad is downloading 1.34GB (USB>iTunes>WiFi>Home DSL).
post #10 of 67
I hope it fixes my down volume button not working. Really hoping its software and not hardware related.
post #11 of 67
keyboard responsiveness is one thing Apple has going for it. Always much better than Android in that respect.
post #12 of 67
Quote:

No; just finished the update now via wifi on a 32GB iPhone 5. It was 18.8MB.
post #13 of 67

28.something on my iPhone 5S - an update over 1GB sounds like you were not already at 7.1

post #14 of 67

"I hope it fixes my down volume button not working. Really hoping its software and not hardware related."

Hmm if you have a iPhone 5 it's most likely hardware (well the internal dome button at least). Myself and few of my colleagues had a similar issue, even if it's out of warranty still try returning to Apple as it's quite common.

post #15 of 67
The iOS 7 update is still wasting 3+ GB on my iPhone 4...
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

let us change the color of the keyboard to gray or black like in other Apple apps it changes....

I agree 100%.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 67
Quote:

Quote:

Mine is only 18.8 MB

iTunes? That will download the whole thing. You need to download it direct to the iPad via Settings -> General -> Software Update

post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

First time I remember seeing this pop-up right before install also.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #19 of 67

Did they at least add some more contrast to the Shift key on the unlock screen?  I can hardly tell if it's active in low light conditions let alone in the bright sunlight.  Really starting to worry about Apple lately.  Almost like they're not using the stuff they're making.

post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Pretty sure they allow you to remove uninstalled updates now. Oh, but you may need to update to get that feature. :rolleyes:

post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

I hope it fixes my down volume button not working. Really hoping its software and not hardware related.

:???: Have you tried restoring? Because if you have an that didn't fix...its hardware.

post #22 of 67

BREAKING!!!!

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #23 of 67
Hi philboogie If you let your iPad download the update, instead of through iTunes, should be around ~20 MB ish instead of the whole shooting match
post #24 of 67

Does Home Sharing work yet?

Seriously, it baffles me why HomeSharing is the same technology in use on AppleTV, that loads your entirely iTunes Library instantly.....yet on iOS devices, on the same network, it takes several minutes to load, and sometimes (read: usually) doesn't finishing loading at all.

post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

iTunes? That will download the whole thing. You need to download it direct to the iPad via Settings -> General -> Software Update

Some people will need to do the iTunes download if they do not have much free space on their device, like those with 16GB (and a video or two).

post #26 of 67
Touch ID seems to be working much faster. I like it.
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is only 18.8 MB

I see. Doing it without iTunes and over WiFi now. A mere 16MB for my iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Seriously, it baffles me why HomeSharing is the same technology in use on AppleTV, that loads your entirely iTunes Library instantly.....yet on iOS devices, on the same network, it takes several minutes to load, and sometimes (read: usually) doesn't finishing loading at all.

You too? Same here. Though my iTunes Music Library.xml is 133MB which I believe is the file it needs and might explain the long wait. Why it doesn't finish I don't know. No biggie or me; I just noticed it the other day.
post #28 of 67

Will require 1.2GB of free space to install.. I guess my next iPhone will be at least the 32GB version!

post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

BREAKING!!!!

BREAKDANCING! :lol:

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I agree.  I've never understood this.  Sharing on the Video app from local iTunes databases hasn't really ever improved.

post #31 of 67

Hoping they've fixed the "Messages (Saved)" bug that takes up an enormous amount of space on my iPhone/iPad (about 4GB on each).  No amount of deleting message threads will remove it.

post #32 of 67
Quote:

?
Mine is only 18.8 MB

26.1 MiB for my 16GB AT&T (GSM) iPhone 5S.

edit: typo.
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/23/14 at 12:37am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #33 of 67

Does wireless sinc work well for you guys with home sharing issues? 

Wireless sinc doesn't work well at all to iTunes on my PC. Honestly, attempting to sinc via USB to iTunes usually fails on my PC as well, since iTunes Match hogs all of the computer resources at launch. 

I know.. it's near time for a new PC :-P

post #34 of 67
Personally I'm afraid upgrade my wife had such a terrible experience was 7.1 with battery drain Apple replaced her phone now it's okay. So I'm somewhat reluctant to make an upgrade when my phone is working just fine right now.
I'm in a wait a little while to make this upgrade
My only issue right now is some lag when I press the touchscreen other than that just fine
Cautiously optimistic that this would help but I'm going to wait
What I am really waiting for his improved iPhoto and iTunes specially when you use an external hard drive to synchronize your photos and phones.
iTunes and iPhoto keeps forgetting my external hard drive requiring me to find it.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #35 of 67
Glad to hear that so many of you are having successful updates. I updated my iPad 2 an hour ago and now it's showing the old connect to iTunes thing on the home screen. I tried powering off and using the home and sleep buttons to reset it, but all to no avail. Can anybody help? The only option is a full restore but I'm concerned that I'll lose my photos and videos if I do a restore.

Help!
post #36 of 67
Touch ID couldn't perform better for me.

But, there is one thing that annoys me with it, but it's not actually its fault.

I almost never used passwords before. On my Nexus S I didn't even use a lock screen : a press on the wake button would show me the home screen directly. With touch ID when I receive notifications I can't just swipe the notification and get to it, I need to authenticate first. Same thing goes when I ask some things to Siri and it tells me that I need to unlock first.
Real first world problems!
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

Hoping they've fixed the "Messages (Saved)" bug that takes up an enormous amount of space on my iPhone/iPad (about 4GB on each).  No amount of deleting message threads will remove it.

Nope, the bug remains on both iPhone and iPad.  I'm sure iOS 7.1.2 won't let me down.

post #38 of 67
Quote:

Be thankful you are still supported.

post #39 of 67
Quote:

No it's not.

post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Personally I'm afraid upgrade my wife had such a terrible experience was 7.1 with battery drain Apple replaced her phone now it's okay. So I'm somewhat reluctant to make an upgrade when my phone is working just fine right now.
I'm in a wait a little while to make this upgrade
My only issue right now is some lag when I press the touchscreen other than that just fine
Cautiously optimistic that this would help but I'm going to wait
What I am really waiting for his improved iPhoto and iTunes specially when you use an external hard drive to synchronize your photos and phones.
iTunes and iPhoto keeps forgetting my external hard drive requiring me to find it.

Next time, save yourself the hassle of replacing the phone, and just do a Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings. This fixes 95% of ills suffered after an iOS update if they occur :)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 7.1.1 with improvements to Touch ID, keyboard