or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple shows off iPhone 5s multimedia creation prowess in 'Powerful' ad

Apple shows off iPhone 5s multimedia creation prowess in 'Powerful' ad

post #1 of 92
Apple on Tuesday released a new commercial for its flagship iPhone 5s, showing off the handset's digital media creation capabilities through a slew of music, movie making, translation and exploration apps.

Source: Apple via YouTube

The minute-and-a-half spot, posted to Apple's YouTube page, marks a return to ads in which the iPhone is front-and-center in almost every scene.

Set to the song "Gigantic" by the Pixies, the spot begins with a musician plugging his electric guitar into an iPhone 5s through what looks to be an iRig setup running the AmpliTube app.

From there, the commercial cuts between snippets of other music makers as they prepare their respective iPhones in a type of pre-show tune-up. Thirty seconds into the ad, the band is playing, with guitar, bass, drums, synth and vocals all being recorded, generated or aided by the iPhone 5s.

With the song playing in the background, the clip moves through a series of cutscenes showing 5s users making home movies, controlling stage lighting at a theater, playing games and even launching model rockets via remote control.

The video ends with a teacher projecting an astronomy app on what looks to be the ceiling of a classroom. The ad's tagline, "You're more powerful than you think," flashes onscreen for a brief moment before the white Apple logo closes out the commercial.
post #2 of 92
Now that was one of the coolest commercials in a LONG time.
post #3 of 92

A supercomputer that happens to be a mobile phone. :-)

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #4 of 92
and all samsung can do is make a commercial that pokes fun of people standing in line waiting for the newest near supercomputer.
post #5 of 92
Apple just also showed if you didn't really know that it has showed it can check your heart rate which pretty much says it had it long before Samsung did , it was capable of doing that , so samsung copied once again
post #6 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post

and all samsung can do is make a commercial that pokes fun of people standing in line waiting for the newest near supercomputer.

Did you know there's a way to praise Apple without bashing other companies? 

Same question to Android fans?

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #7 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Same question to Android fans?

There is not one Android article I can read without seeing someone claim how inferior Apple is.

post #8 of 92

Apple's best commercials don't need any (or much) text or talk to convey the message. Well done.

And anything with the Pixies makes it better.

post #9 of 92
Now if I could just get a tube iphone.
post #10 of 92

Beautiful ad. Most of these apps are either unavailable or impossible on an Android device. Shows the iPhone being used for really atypical and incredible use cases. 

post #11 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post

Did you know there's a way to praise Apple without bashing other companies? 

I hope you agree that this commercial accomplished that goal.

post #12 of 92
That was was a great ad.

Also I love the heart rate shot. Laying the groundwork for healthbook.

Only question for me was... What was the rocket launching app??? How would that work?
post #13 of 92

It also possible to spend advertising on your smartphone and yet never say anything positive about your smartphone.

post #14 of 92

I have a lot of music apps, so i liked that ad!

I can't imagine anybody who calls themselves a musician ever using Android for any musical purposes. They would either have to be one of those paid liars by Samsung, either that or a complete imbecile. I've mentioned this before, but music creation is just terrible on Android. 

If you are a Fandroid and you're thinking of replying to this post, then don't even bother because I will save you the trouble. Music creation on Android was terrible years ago and it remains terrible to this day. I'm not interested in hearing any more pathetic excuses or lies. I am interested in reality. 

Back to the ad, I liked how the ad begins with music apps then goes on to show a whole bunch of other creative apps and uses. It's one of the best Apple ads that I've seen in a while.

Just face it. Apple and iOS is for talented and creative people. Android is mostly for untalented people who lack creativity and for people who suffer from dulled senses, or maybe they're just on heavy drugs. It's also for people who don't have much money and for people who live in the third world. Hardly cutting edge, if you ask me.

post #15 of 92
Such a terrific ad. The scene with the dad making a Godzilla movie with his kid was particularly creative and touching.

As an aside, can we please stop responding to the troll "Brandon Powell?"

post #16 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just face it. Apple and iOS is for talented and creative people. Android is mostly for untalented people who lack creativity and for people who suffer from dulled senses, or maybe they're just on heavy drugs. It's also for people who don't have much money and for people who live in the third world. Hardly cutting edge, if you ask me.

Glad you put that "mostly" in there.

As for the ad, it was very typical of Apple's style. I didn't really notice anything special about it. It was interesting how they threw in the heart-rate monitor as a dish to Samsung, but it'll be fun to see how those who decried a heart-rate monitor as useless will react to this.

post #17 of 92

Can the iPhone read heart rate with a specialized app?  I really thought the Galaxy S5 was the only smartphone capable of that.

post #18 of 92

I like the ad, but not the song.

Quote:

I can't imagine anybody who calls themselves a musician ever using Android for any musical purposes. They would either have to be one of those paid liars by Samsung, either that or a complete imbecile. I've mentioned this before, but music creation is just terrible on Android. 

If you are a Fandroid and you're thinking of replying to this post, then don't even bother because I will save you the trouble. Music creation on Android was terrible years ago and it remains terrible to this day. I'm not interested in hearing any more pathetic excuses or lies. I am interested in reality. 

Hey, why all the hatred? Apple users don't have to do this. We know we are much better than that... Get our stuff done, and laugh at how insecure Android/Windows users feel. Just have a good laugh out of it...

post #19 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

It was interesting how they threw in the heart-rate monitor as a dish to Samsung, but it'll be fun to see how those who decried a heart-rate monitor as useless will react to this.

I haven't mentioned anything about any heart rate monitor yet, but I'll give my 2 cents now.

It's not always about what features a phone has, but how they work is also important. Take Touch ID and compare it Samsung's version. Touch ID is miles ahead of Samsung's version.

I do know this. If Apple is going to be releasing their health app soon, then I'm pretty damn sure that whatever features Apple will include in their new phone will be way better than whatever Samsung has. They will work better, they will be more reliable and they will be easier to use.  So I don't have anything against a heart rate monitor in the next iPhone, if that were to happen, because I know it won't be a gimmick. 

post #20 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Can the iPhone read heart rate with a specialized app?  I really thought the Galaxy S5 was the only smartphone capable of that.

I don't remember the exact name, but there's an app that does the job. When your heart beats faster, a large quantity of red blood cells is careening through the nerves and arteries, making the blood 'redder'. Using the flash (to cause the blood to reflect an ample amount of light), and the camera (to measure the red-ness), the app takes a very close estimate of your heart-beat rate.

post #21 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

Hey, why all the hatred?

I'm just telling the honest truth from my perspective.

And I don't have to be nice to the enemy, because I didn't start the war.

post #22 of 92
Quote:

I don't remember the exact name, but there's an app that does the job. When your heart beats faster, a large quantity of red blood cells is careening through the nerves and arteries, making the blood 'redder'. Using the flash (to cause the blood to reflect an ample amount of light), and the camera (to measure the red-ness), the app takes a very close estimate of your heart-beat rate.

I have that app, it's by Phillips. It's called vital signs.

post #23 of 92
Quote:

I'm just telling the honest truth from my perspective.

And I don't have to be nice to the enemy, because I didn't start the war.

C'mon mate, they're not the 'enemy'! They're a good people, just a bit misguided and misrepresented.

post #24 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

can we please stop responding to the troll "Brandon Powell?"

post #25 of 92
Quote:

Hey, why all the hatred? Apple users don't have to do this. We know we are much better than that... Get our stuff done, and laugh at how insecure Android/Windows users feel. Just have a good laugh out of it...

You do realize that constantly poking fun at Windows/Android users itself displays a certain level of insecurity, which for the most part would be an inaccurate descriptive of Windows users in particular. If you want proof, head over to WPCentral, a website dedicated to news pertaining to primarily Windows Phone and secondarily Microsoft in general, and you'll discover that when Apple is brought up in conversation it is almost invariably as a form of friendly comparison, or a method of demonstrating Windows Phone's shortcomings as it compares to other operating systems. Those who violently advocate either side are deemed trolls and are simply ignored. In fact, the WPCentral users' attitude towards the technology world in general could better be described as "humble" rather than "insecure", and not to name names, but I think there are a few here who could benefit from imitating them.

post #26 of 92
Quote:

C'mon mate, they're
not the 'enemy'! They're a good people, just a bit misguided and misrepresented.

They are people who make a different consumer choice.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #27 of 92
Quote:

You do realize that constantly poking fun at Windows/Android users itself displays a certain level of insecurity, which for the most part would be an inaccurate descriptive of Windows users in particular. If you want proof, head over to WPCentral, a website dedicated to news pertaining to primarily Windows Phone and secondarily Microsoft in general, and you'll discover that when Apple is brought up in conversation it is almost invariably as a form of friendly comparison, or a method of demonstrating Windows Phone's shortcomings as it compares to other operating systems. Those who violently advocate either side are deemed trolls and are simply ignored. In fact, the WPCentral users' attitude towards the technology world in general could better be described as "humble" rather than "insecure", and not to name names, but I think there are a few here who could benefit from imitating them.

I agree -- a bipolar response sounds foolish. But even WPCentral would have a sizable chunk of users who think that Microsoft comes second only to the God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They are people who make a different consumer choice.

I didn't mean that they were misguided because they chose an alternative product, I meant that they are misguided because they bash Apple as the most pointless corporation ever.

post #28 of 92
Quote:

This app is around since a while and works great. It's called Heart Rate – only the constant advertisement to buy additional apps of the company are annoying. Also they diversify in too many different health monitoring apps just to cash in.

post #29 of 92
Nice ad. I think I recognize that young female drummer from last year's America's Got Talent season.

Quote:

1) There are lots of apps that measure the heart rate. It's just using the camera and flash. These have been around for a couple years.

2) I thought it was measuring the speed of the light to dark changes as the heart pumps blood which then changes the pressure and therefore the density. I didn't think it had anything to do with a specific redness.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #30 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nice ad. I think I recognize that young female drummer from last year's America's Got Talent season.
1) There are lots of apps that measure the heart rate. It's just using the camera and flash. These have been around for a couple years.

2) I thought it was measuring the speed of the light to dark changes as the heart pumps blood which then changes the pressure and therefore the density. I didn't think it had anything to do with a specific redness.

From the app that I mentioned earlier, Vital Signs.

How it works?
Your heartbeat causes small changes in the color of your face. These changes are not visible to the eye, but with advanced software the iPad or iPhone camera detects these "micro-blushes" to measure your heart rate. 

When you breathe, your chest moves up and down. With advanced software, the iPad or iPhone camera tracks the movement of your chest to measure your breathing rate. 

post #31 of 92
Quote:

It's comments like that that give Apple's customers a bad name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAmazingThing View Post

And I have yet to see a DED style writer-dude (I think he calls himself a journalist) on any major Android site.

So no talented writers in the Android camp? Are you trying to prove Apple ][ right?
Quote:
Android sites are generally pro-Android without being anti-Apple anyways...mainly because they rarely if ever mention Apple.

Psychologically, those are extremely jealous of their betters don't like to mention them when they compare unfavorably.
Quote:
Most mentions I see of Apple are positive anyways

Bullshit!
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/23/14 at 1:23am

post #32 of 92
Quote:

Android sites are generally pro-Android without being anti-Apple anyways...mainly because they rarely if ever mention Apple. Most mentions I see of Apple are positive anyways and how Android would fare better to emulate such and such feature of iOS (iMessage comes up a lot as pretty much the PERFECT app).

I disagree. I am yet to come across an Android site (yes I do, because I own a Moto G), that doesn't aimlessly ridicule Apple. There are mature users who genuinely rationalise, but a majority (like AI users) are still anti-Apple. I don't mean to start anything, neither do I mean disrespect, but I would like for you to show me a site that stays professional. I would gladly join such a site (that doesn't censure Apple) for my Android phone queries. [Honestly waiting for your reply...]

Quote:

I thought it was measuring the speed of the light to dark changes as the heart pumps blood which then changes the pressure and therefore the density. I didn't think it had anything to do with a specific redness.

I'm sure there are a number of ways to do so. For the one I remember about, the developer claims measuring the redness in order to obtain the cell density, hence the heart-beat rate. But as you said, there are a number of apps for this, so may be they do use different techniques.

post #33 of 92
Quote:

I'm sure there are a number of ways to do so. For the one I remember about, the developer claims measuring the redness in order to obtain the cell density, hence the heart-beat rate. But as you said, there are a number of apps for this, so may be they do use different techniques.

Yes, but in terms of the rate of change in redness between heartbeats as the blood flows through the veins, not an increased reddening from a higher heart rate. I'm pretty sure they all use a variation of the same technique of measuring the rate of change, not comparing the redness to some hue chart.

post #34 of 92
Quote:

...not comparing the redness to some hue chart.

Hahaha, yeah, that does sound ridiculous.

post #35 of 92
Quote:

It's comments like that that Apple's customers a bad name.

I'm ok with that, since I speak only for myself. Anybody taking my comments and applying them to all Apple users would be guilty of a gross generalization. Not all Apple users are like me of course. With many millions of users, comes many different opinions. I don't believe that there's anything wrong with somebody speaking freely and writing down their honest thoughts, even if some of those thoughts might ruffle the feathers of a few people. 

post #36 of 92
that video like lasts totally longer than like the battery in like my 5S.
post #37 of 92

64 bit

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #38 of 92
Quote:

Glad you put that "mostly" in there.

As for the ad, it was very typical of Apple's style. I didn't really notice anything special about it. It was interesting how they threw in the heart-rate monitor as a dish to Samsung, but it'll be fun to see how those who decried a heart-rate monitor as useless will react to this.

Who would that be, obviously not people who have downloaded these types of App on iPhones over the last couple of years.

With Apple customisation is a choice not given to Samsung buyers who forsake phone memory on things that may not be needed.

post #39 of 92
Quote:

Search the App store on your iPhone, you'll find a lot of them.

They work by using the camera in conjunction with the flash to measure differences in the colour of light absorbed by a finger to then calculate heart rate.

The M7 chip also allows Apps like fitbit to keep track of daily activity.

The S5 hasn't brought anything new to the table.

post #40 of 92
Quote:

I imagine you frothing at the mouth declaring yourself victorious over the many people you've deemed your enemy who don't give a rats ass that your bigoted ass even exists. You own products...you aren't special. Get over yourself.

note: he is a bigot...by definition. find his posts in the article related to Tim Cook and the anti-discrimination bill among other things.

More to do with a fatal flaw in Android which has to do with real time audio processing.

Even with high powered multicore processors and gigabytes of RAM this is a field in which they can't compete.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple shows off iPhone 5s multimedia creation prowess in 'Powerful' ad