or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple shows off iPhone 5s multimedia creation prowess in 'Powerful' ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple shows off iPhone 5s multimedia creation prowess in 'Powerful' ad - Page 2

post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm ok with that, since I speak only for myself. Anybody taking my comments and applying them to all Apple users would be guilty of a gross generalization. Not all Apple users are like me of course. With many millions of users, comes many different opinions. I don't believe that there's anything wrong with somebody speaking freely and writing down their honest thoughts, even if some of those thoughts might ruffle the feathers of a few people. 
Me, me, me.... and I.
post #42 of 92
I showed the heart rate app to my MD daughter. She immediately did not believe it. She grabbed my wrist looked at her watch and said the app was correct. She was impressed! 1smile.gif
post #43 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Yes, but in terms of the rate of change in redness between heartbeats as the blood flows through the veins, not an increased reddening from a higher heart rate. I'm pretty sure they all use a variation of the same technique of measuring the rate of change, not comparing the redness to some hue chart.

The method used to determine heart rate in the Apple video measures the instantaneous changes in reflectivity/absorption of the fingertip with each heartbeat. Even down in the capillaries, the change in blood pressure over each beat of the heart causes a measurable change in the absorption spectrum. This method used on exercise equipment and purpose built heart rate meters using only a red LED, a single photodetector and some simple, mostly analog circuitry. The change in peripheral blood, though small, is easily discerned from background noise, as the optical path passes only through tissue (fingertip or earlobe). The addition of an infrared LED allows reasonably accurate measurement of oxygen saturation, as the "color" of blood changes with oxygen level, and can be detected by looking through tissue at two different wavelengths.

 

Here's how it's done... http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~neil/teaching/lectures/med_elec/notes6.pdf

 

In that iPhone app, they measure changes in intensity of the reflected light from the flash unit over the course of each heartbeat. They may use only the red channel, but could also correlate/contrast changes there to changes in the green and blue channels. The rapid and repetitive changes in reflected spectral shape, though small, would be unlikely to come from sources other than pulsatile blood flow in the fingertip placed over the lens.

 

It's possible to tease useful information out of poor quality data if you've got sufficient data and compute power. For a rudimentary heart rate sensor, the iPhone has more than enough of both.

post #44 of 92
What I like about this ad is it gets back to Apple's previous style of leave the jabbering and fake disingenuous dialogue to our competitors %u2013 we'll just let our product and its diverse pool of users do all the talking.
post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

I'm ok with that, since I speak only for myself. Anybody taking my comments and applying them to all Apple users would be guilty of a gross generalization. Not all Apple users are like me of course. With many millions of users, comes many different opinions. I don't believe that there's anything wrong with somebody speaking freely and writing down their honest thoughts, even if some of those thoughts might ruffle the feathers of a few people. 

Your comment about Android users isn't a gross generalization? If you want to view Samsung or Google as the enemy that is one thing but forming a negative opinion about a person or group of people based on what technology they use is a bit over the top. While the ad was very good it takes a lot more than an iPhone and a 14.99 app to be creative. 

post #46 of 92
Not enough "blah-ing" or insults. /s
post #47 of 92

Nearly all the television I watch is DVR'ed. I usually will skip most commercials but sometimes they play while I check something on my iPad. Commercials that have a song I like I tend to purposefully not skip in the future just to hear it again. I realize Microsoft is failing miserably with most of their ads and certainly with sales of their devices but that one with "I just want to see you be brave" is at least one I will not skip because I like the song. Samsung's very latest commercial also seems to have a catchy tune and they have had some songs I liked in past commercials. The actual ad from Apple in this article is a good commercial. I love the fact that it highlights the iPhone superiority with music over Android. But who the hell chose the music to play for this ad. I will certainly not be pausing to watch or listen to this ad again since that song was just so annoying. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #48 of 92

I'm a developer of a popular music app. We want to NAMM where all the major music manufacturers demonstrate their products every year. Every booth you went to that had an app ran on iOS. Nothing was available for Android. Why? It's simple. There's no way to do MIDI or real-time audio processing on Android. That's the blunt truth.

 

I was talking with the president of the MIDI group and he had a representative from Google and Microsoft come to the show and walk the floor. At one point the Google rep asked the IK Multimedia rep why it wasn't available for Android. He simply replied "There's no way in hell it could be done".  That about sums it up.

 

It's also why my app isn't available on Android. Well that and the SDK is a cluster___ and app store revenues are ridiculously low because of the perception that everything should be free.

post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
 

 That's the blunt truth.

 

It is indeed. Android is latency hell, and that's why I believe that Fandroids have blurred senses, because they claim that everything is just fine and dandy. Every millisecond counts when doing realtime music.

 

If you wish to remain anonymous, I understand, but you mentioned that you're a developer of a popular music app, do you mind telling the name of the app?

post #50 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post


Me, me, me.... and I.

 

Of course it's all about me, especially when certain people on this site feel the need to comment on me personally and not the OP.

 

I'm here to talk about Apple.

post #51 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post
 

Your comment about Android users isn't a gross generalization? If you want to view Samsung or Google as the enemy that is one thing but forming a negative opinion about a person or group of people based on what technology they use is a bit over the top. While the ad was very good it takes a lot more than an iPhone and a 14.99 app to be creative. 

 

Have you seen Samsung's ads where they are mocking Apple users?

 

Well, I like mocking Android users, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post
 

While the ad was very good it takes a lot more than an iPhone and a 14.99 app to be creative. 

 

I agree with that.

 

It doesn't matter what tools somebody uses, if they don't have the necessary talent or skills.

 

I've seen people working in million dollar studios and the results were complete crap and amateurish.

post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Now that was one of the coolest commercials in a LONG time.

 

Yeah, that was a great way to show the product.  They should do something similar for the iPad and the Mac lineup.  

post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

Have you seen Samsung's ads where they are mocking Apple users?

 

Well, I like mocking Android users, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

I think the mocking ads are getting a little old and a little juvenile.

post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I think the mocking ads are getting a little old and a little juvenile.

 

I agree. Samsung's ads are terrible, and they're not even funny, because they're not true.

 

I also think that their ads are very ineffective, because no sane Apple user is going to be swayed by them.

 

On the contrary, Samsung is merely creating more people who will hate them and their products.

post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
 

I'm a developer of a popular music app. We want to NAMM where all the major music manufacturers demonstrate their products every year. Every booth you went to that had an app ran on iOS. Nothing was available for Android. Why? It's simple. There's no way to do MIDI or real-time audio processing on Android. That's the blunt truth.

 

I was talking with the president of the MIDI group and he had a representative from Google and Microsoft come to the show and walk the floor. At one point the Google rep asked the IK Multimedia rep why it wasn't available for Android. He simply replied "There's no way in hell it could be done".  That about sums it up.

 

It's also why my app isn't available on Android. Well that and the SDK is a cluster___ and app store revenues are ridiculously low because of the perception that everything should be free.

One of the reasons is because of Audio Core is built in and Android doesn't have anything like it, plus Mac OS X is very intrenched in the music industry as most of the pro recording studios run OS X.  

 

I think Apple should also do an ad where they show IPad and OS X computers doing things that can't be done elsewhere as well.

 

There are nice products like the Mackie DL1608's, which are cool and make a great way to show off what iPads can be used for.  I'm sure there will be more future products like that.

post #57 of 92

Showing the athlete checking his heart rate with an iPhone was a subtle dig at Samsung and the new S5 because that was one of their touted features over their S4. From what I have read the apps for the iPhone get exactly the same results as the built in feature on the S5. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #58 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

One of the reasons is because of Audio Core is built in and Android doesn't have anything like it, plus Mac OS X is very intrenched in the music industry as most of the pro recording studios run OS X.  

 

Core Audio is the main reason, and you're right, Android has nothing like it, and they can't just go in and fix the issue after the fact. It's been years already, and probably the only way for them to solve the problem is to rewrite their whole crappy OS from scratch.

post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

Core Audio is the main reason, and you're right, Android has nothing like it, and they can't just go in and fix the issue after the fact. It's been years already, and probably the only way for them to solve the problem is to rewrite their whole crappy OS from scratch.

google would have to further bloat their OS and I think it's a forgone conclusion that a lot of the people in the music industry don't like mixing platforms when they have their main system on OS X.

 

Google has had to push back Android 5, and the longer it gets pushed back, the more entrenched iOS is getting because it's 64 bit and Apple just needs to continue development of newer chip designs.  Apple's biggest thing they need to really change is giving more RAM on iDevices.  I think that would free up a lot of developers to get some really sick apps on iPads.  Especially in the audio recording area. There are apps, but you can't do as much as they want because of the RAM limitation.  I think they should have iPads with 2GB and even 4GB of RAM.  Maybe the next go around we'll see increases in that area.

post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

I think they should have iPads with 2GB and even 4GB of RAM.  Maybe the next go around we'll see increases in that area.

 

Again, I agree with you.

 

We've all heard the rumors about some kind of iPad Pro, and I for one would like that rumor to be true.

 

I'm going to be upgrading to whichever new iPad comes out in the fall, and I want it to be as powerful as possible. iPads are already replacing many desktop tasks, and they should beef up the next iPad with more RAM.

 

There are some heavy duty apps that people use on iPad, and those apps need power and RAM. In the future, we're only going to be seeing more desktop class apps and games get released for iPad.

post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

Beautiful ad. Most of these apps are either unavailable or impossible on an Android device. Shows the iPhone being used for really atypical and incredible use cases. 

 

Apple's business profiles page shows multiple programs, that are far beyond Android or Windows phones/tablets, it is good to see a return to what you can actually do Apple commercials.

 

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/

post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

........ I will certainly not be pausing to watch or listen to this ad again since that song was just so annoying  .... (to me). 

There, fixed that for you.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. .... Different strokes for different folks. ..... Need more ?

See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #63 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

Core Audio is the main reason, and you're right, Android has nothing like it, and they can't just go in and fix the issue after the fact. It's been years already, and probably the only way for them to solve the problem is to rewrite their whole crappy OS from scratch.

Cook & Co. need to Bro down with some more RAM!!!  I think it would a trip for an iPad Pro 12 inch with 4 or 8 GB RAM, and have a Thunderbolt port as well.   I know they would have a driver issue, but that would get REAL interesting if they could make that happen.  :-)

post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Cook & Co. need to Bro down with some more RAM!!!  I think it would a trip for an iPad Pro 12 inch with 4 or 8 GB RAM, and have a Thunderbolt port as well.   I know they would have a driver issue, but that would get REAL interesting if they could make that happen.  :-)

 

Agreed.:)

 

An iPad Pro 12 inch would be a day one purchase for me. I don't care how much it costs! 

 

Unfortunately, if we are to believe the rumors, then it's not going to happen just yet, maybe not this year. I hope that I'm wrong of course, because I want an iPad Pro like yesterday.

 

In the meantime, I'll probably just get an iPad Air 2, and get the iPad Pro in 2015.

post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

google would have to further bloat their OS and I think it's a forgone conclusion that a lot of the people in the music industry don't like mixing platforms when they have their main system on OS X.

 

Google has had to push back Android 5, and the longer it gets pushed back, the more entrenched iOS is getting because it's 64 bit and Apple just needs to continue development of newer chip designs.  Apple's biggest thing they need to really change is giving more RAM on iDevices.  I think that would free up a lot of developers to get some really sick apps on iPads.  Especially in the audio recording area. There are apps, but you can't do as much as they want because of the RAM limitation.  I think they should have iPads with 2GB and even 4GB of RAM.  Maybe the next go around we'll see increases in that area.

 

Apple will add the ram when it works the way they want it to work, i.e. no lost of battery life or the addition of extra weight.

post #66 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post
 

Your comment about Android users isn't a gross generalization? If you want to view Samsung or Google as the enemy that is one thing but forming a negative opinion about a person or group of people based on what technology they use is a bit over the top. While the ad was very good it takes a lot more than an iPhone and a 14.99 app to be creative. 

 

Apple is just nailing down the iOS ecosystem on the iPhone and iPad in a way that politely leaves the Android OS in the dust. Get people to think about the actual use cases in iOS equals game over profit wise, the decision is therefore made easy for which ecosystem gets the best developers doing what they do best. 

post #67 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post
 

 

Apple will add the ram when it works the way they want it to work, i.e. no lost of battery life or the addition of extra weight.

 

It can be slightly heavier, because a 12" iPad is obviously not meant to be carried around like an iPad Mini or iPad Air would be.

 

A 12" iPad would look perfect on my desk. If I step outside, I'll grab a Mini or an Air to bring with me.

post #68 of 92
A very classy commercial without derogatory statements towards their competitors. Simply a showcase of the product's capabilities. Apple once again showing them how it's done when it's done right.
post #69 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

It also possible to spend advertising on your smartphone and yet never say anything positive about your smartphone.

 


Really?  Samsung has to resort to using FIRE near peoples heads and yelling within 1 foot of them to stop them from winning a f*cking phone?  While some parts of the ad are funny, it is pretty mean spirited to the players. 

post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I showed the heart rate app to my MD daughter. She immediately did not believe it. She grabbed my wrist looked at her watch and said the app was correct. She was impressed! 1smile.gif


I have been using that app for someone, it is great!  I even paid for the better version for logging.

post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker915 View Post

Apple just also showed if you didn't really know that it has showed it can check your heart rate which pretty much says it had it long before Samsung did , it was capable of doing that , so samsung copied once again

No, no, no. Samsung in this one case did NOT copy anyone or anything at all. First, this exact same app is on Android as well. Second, no other phone has a HR monitor built into the device yet. I'm not saying it's a great feature to have or it's the best at doing HRM. Also, there plenty of other things to bash Samsung about easily but in this case you are wrong and you need to take off the Apple hat for a moment before making false statements. 

post #72 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
 

No, no, no. Samsung in this one case did NOT copy anyone or anything at all. First, this exact same app is on Android as well. Second, no other phone has a HR monitor built into the device yet. I'm not saying it's a great feature to have or it's the best at doing HRM. Also, there plenty of other things to bash Samsung about easily but in this case you are wrong and you need to take off the Apple hat for a moment before making false statements. 

 

But if this capability was already possible without the dedicated HR monitor Samsung included what does that say about Samsung? They added a part which depletes some battery life presumably, certainly costs extra money and takes up space all to do something that was already possible without changing a thing. Isn't that like reinventing the wheel?

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

One of the reasons is because of Audio Core is built in and Android doesn't have anything like it, plus Mac OS X is very intrenched in the music industry as most of the pro recording studios run OS X.  

I think Apple should also do an ad where they show IPad and OS X computers doing things that can't be done elsewhere as well.

There are nice products like the Mackie DL1608's, which are cool and make a great way to show off what iPads can be used for.  I'm sure there will be more future products like that.
Here's a video for Jamstik, but it shows several iOS Apps and gives a great example of how quickly you can lay down tracks/loops.

I'm surprised this video doesn't have more views. It's production quality I find quite good.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #74 of 92

Ok, that ad was so good that Jobs' toes must have curled. Cool apps being used to create music and launch rockets....good grief. If I didn't have an iPhone and iPad already, I would have been on Apple.com before the commercial was through.

 

My son uses his iPad with music as well. He has his iPad propped up playing Jazz while he plays along on our Yamaha Clavinova (which is an impressive computer in its own right). Or he'll have a Youtube video showing a tune and he'll embellish while playing along.

 

So that's two things that my son does on his iPad that I find creative and educational. He's taught himself how to play music as well as making his little movies.

 

post #75 of 92

Great commercial, but it really hits home when they put up the punchline "You're more powerful than you think."

 

The message here is that the device is simply a tool that enables YOU and what YOU like to do. So many of Apple's best ads have been about connecting people with technology so that it enables them to do what they already like to do better. Very user-centric.

 

This is where Apple's branding stands in stark contrast with competitors whose marketing seems to take the lead from their most obsessively spec and feature-driven fans. Just look at Samsung's Galaxy ads that seem scripted from a feature checklist, and delivered by smug douchebags. Or Verizon's Droid ads, which also highlight the specs as the end in itself. It's a static approach, because it doesn't touch on how people actually use their devices beyond showing off a half-baked feature at a party or bragging about some spec.

post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

It can be slightly heavier, because a 12" iPad is obviously not meant to be carried around like an iPad Mini or iPad Air would be.

 

A 12" iPad would look perfect on my desk. If I step outside, I'll grab a Mini or an Air to bring with me.

 

I think your 12" iPad is coming but it will weigh about the same as a iPad Mini with more ram, so the best of both worlds. Within a year.

post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post
 

 

I think your 12" iPad is coming but it will weigh about the same as a iPad Mini with more ram, so the best of both worlds. Within a year.

 

How can a 12inch iPad weight the same as an iPad mini? The iPad Air weights about 1 lb, which is more than the mini. I think the 12 inch model will probably come in at what the older iPad 4's came in at. I think 1 1/2 lbs for a tablet is the most anyone would want to carry around. The battery alone will probably come in at around 1 lb for a 12 inch model.  Plus, i doubt Apple's going to make a top end tablet out of plastic.  Maybe carbon fiber or some other material they haven't released yet.    Liquidmetal??????????  I think a lot has to do with the battery since it would be a 64 bit model, high res display, at least 128GB of Storage, etc.

post #78 of 92
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

How can a 12inch iPad weight the same as an iPad mini? The iPad Air weights about 1 lb, which is more than the mini. I think the 12 inch model will probably come in at what the older iPad 4's came in at.

 

I’d be fine with a 1.5lb. 12” iPad, frankly. It wouldn’t be a change for me. :lol: 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) There are lots of apps that measure the heart rate. It's just using the camera and flash. These have been around for a couple years.

2) I thought it was measuring the speed of the light to dark changes as the heart pumps blood which then changes the pressure and therefore the density. I didn't think it had anything to do with a specific redness.

 

In the early 1970's as university students, we made a heart rate monitor using 7400 series TTL logic, 7 segment LED numeral displays and a cloths peg mounted lamp and phototransistor. We'd sit and try to drop our heart rate for bio-feedback fun. The lamp (a tiny incandescent bulb) shone through a hole in the peg to illuminate the phototransistor through a finger to which the assembly was clamped and sensed blood density changes at each heartbeat. Even discussing heart-rate sensing today as a feature in any device is amusing.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #80 of 92

Great ad, love it!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple shows off iPhone 5s multimedia creation prowess in 'Powerful' ad