or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple taps Catcher for metal casings on next-gen 'iPhone 6'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple taps Catcher for metal casings on next-gen 'iPhone 6' - Page 4

post #121 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


Exactly!

"One-handed" actually means "one-thumbed" and my lone thumb can't provide decent control. If at all possible... I use two hands like you described: one hand holding the phone and the other hand's index finger providing the input.

I can send a text message with one hand (one thumb) thanks to the keyboard being at the bottom of the screen.

But there is soooo much more I do with my phone. Pinching and zooming? Needs two hands. Multi-finger gestures? Needs two hands.

And if I'm banging out a lot of text... I flip over to the landscape keyboard. Two hands.

I'm ready for a larger screen... my eyes are ready for a larger screen. My pockets can handle it.

My lone thumb? Not worried... he didn't get a lot of solo action anyway!

Totally with you. The phone already has too many functions better served by the index finger or two thumbs, than with one thumb.

 

Notice Jobs showed the first iPhone with the INDEX finger graphic...not a thumb. ;)

post #122 of 134
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
Huh? It's running iOS 7. You claim it's a jailbreak/skin- and I claim it might not be.

 

Oh, it’s not. Whited00r does a semi-passable job of converting the UI to iOS 7-esque stuff. Apparently in poor photo conditions, it does better than semi. 

 

Notice I still haven’t posted an image showing Settings for him. This is on purpose.

 

EDIT: Wow, still that dark, huh. That’s what I get for borrowing a crappy point and shoot. :p

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #123 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


Is 4.7" considered a phablet these days? Or is it becoming normal?

I don't know what Apple's market research reveals... but do they expect to stay at 4" forever?

I realize Apple's 4" phone is the best-selling smartphone on Earth... but clearly something is up.

Honestly... I wish Apple would start making a range of current iPhones. They do that with iPads, iMacs, Macbooks...


4.7" is not a phablet, 5.5" is. Anything bigger than 5" should not be considered a phone.

 

The 4.7" iPhone is going to be great for people with bigger hands.

I agree Apple should start making a range of iPhones like they do with the iPad:

iPhone mini = a sub 500$ iPhone*

iPhone = the 4.7" iPhone.

(*) I really hope Apple is ditching the 4" iPhone in favor of the original 3.5" iPhone. There's not much difference between 4" and 4.7" as there is between 3.5" and 4.7".

post #124 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I really hope Apple is ditching the 4" iPhone in favor of the original 3.5" iPhone. There's not much difference between 4" and 4.7" as there is between 3.5" and 4.7".

I presume you mean this the other way around. And I would agree. In fact, if they let me choose between a 3.5" and a 4.7" display I probably choose the former. Or to be more precise, a smaller FF would be preference. I will however need to go into a Store to feel them both in my hand and try to see its pocketability.

Hypothetical question to all: would you buy a 5.5" iPhone if that was the only available model and you are already enjoying many paid apps and their ecosystem?
post #125 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I presume you mean this the other way around. And I would agree. In fact, if they let me choose between a 3.5" and a 4.7" display I probably choose the former. Or to be more precise, a smaller FF would be preference. I will however need to go into a Store to feel them both in my hand and try to see its pocketability.

Hypothetical question to all: would you buy a 5.5" iPhone if that was the only available model and you are already enjoying many paid apps and their ecosystem?

I would for sure. In fact, if 4.7 or 5.5 were the only options, I'd pick 5.5 still I think. I'd have to try it out first. If it was clumsy or felt awful, I'd stick to 4.7.

Even if 4.7/5.5 is the only option, what other choice do you have? Even if android didn't suck, what choice do you have? There isn't a decent <4" phone jut there- speaking from a hardware perspective. The top end android or windows phones are all large.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #126 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I would for sure. In fact, if 4.7 or 5.5 were the only options, I'd pick 5.5 still I think. I'd have to try it out first. If it was clumsy or felt awful, I'd stick to 4.7.

Thanks. So, 5.5". Do you also have an iPad mini, or would you choose a large iPad plus a 5.5" iPhone?
Quote:
Even if 4.7/5.5 is the only option, what other choice do you have? Even if android didn't suck, what choice do you have? There isn't a decent <4" phone jut there- speaking from a hardware perspective. The top end android or windows phones are all large.

I know, nothing compares to iOS. Still, I do think MS made a reasonable OS and I think I'd go with them over Android. Despite their market share they do have an App Store that seems to fulfill my 'needs'. One thing a WP8 phone [sic] that I need it to do is iTunes sync, plus ease of use in getting photos on and off the device. With MS, that might be clumsy. But I do like surprises.
post #127 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


I presume you mean this the other way around. And I would agree. In fact, if they let me choose between a 3.5" and a 4.7" display I probably choose the former. Or to be more precise, a smaller FF would be preference. I will however need to go into a Store to feel them both in my hand and try to see its pocketability.

Hypothetical question to all: would you buy a 5.5" iPhone if that was the only available model and you are already enjoying many paid apps and their ecosystem?


No. 5.5" is neither big enough to be productive nor small enough to use it at all times. I'd have an iPod Touch with a feature phone.

Yes, I mean Apple should offer both the 3.5" and 4.7". The 4" doesn't make much sense.


Edited by mr O - 4/25/14 at 10:36am
post #128 of 134
Originally Posted by mr O View Post
No. 5.5" is neither big enough to be productive and neither small enough to use it at all times. I'd have an iPod Touch with a feature phone.


Yes, I mean Apple should offer both the 3.5" and 4.7". The 4" doesn't make much sense.

 

I was going to just straight upvote this, but you mentioned 4.7” as viable. :p I think you’re dead on about everything else, though.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #129 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

I was going to just straight upvote this, but you mentioned 4.7” as viable. :p I think you’re dead on about everything else, though.


hello Tallest Skill,

Think about it. Some people have small hands, others are blessed with big hands.

Apple is planning to do the same with the rumored iWatch: Have one model for small (female) wrists and one for bigger (male) wrists. It is about proportion and ergonomics.

The 4.7" does make sense to a certain demographic. My hands are more suited to the smaller 3.5" iPhone.

post #130 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post



No. 5.5" is neither big enough to be productive and neither small enough to use it at all times. I'd have an iPod Touch with a feature phone.


Yes, I mean Apple should offer both the 3.5" and 4.7". The 4" doesn't make much sense.

"That works for me."
post #131 of 134
Originally Posted by mr O View Post
Think about it. Some people have small hands, others are blessed with big hands.

 

Yes, and 4.7” is too big even for big hands.

 
Apple is planning to do the same with the rumored iWatch: Have one model for small (female) wrists and one for bigger (male) wrists.

 

Since when?! Haven’t heard that rumor. Interesting that we’re calling the iWatch fact now, too.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #132 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Endless nonsense is an apt description of your posts.
You think bickering about product numbering is interesting and constructive?

Good to know you're around to fight the important fights.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #133 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Thanks. So, 5.5". Do you also have an iPad mini, or would you choose a large iPad plus a 5.5" iPhone?
I know, nothing compares to iOS. Still, I do think MS made a reasonable OS and I think I'd go with them over Android. Despite their market share they do have an App Store that seems to fulfill my 'needs'. One thing a WP8 phone [sic] that I need it to do is iTunes sync, plus ease of use in getting photos on and off the device. With MS, that might be clumsy. But I do like surprises.

I have a full sized iPad.  If I had the mini- I wouldn't opt for a 5.5.  My wife, for example- has a mini- and she actually wants to stick to the 4" size.

 

I like what Windows 8.1 has done also- the flagship Nokia that is running 8.1 is the Nokia 930 or Icon- both of which are 5".  :D 

 

I will note- 1 handed use is not very important to me, as I use 2 hands in almost everything I do- outside of talking on the phone. 

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #134 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I have a full sized iPad.  If I had the mini- I wouldn't opt for a 5.5.  My wife, for example- has a mini- and she actually wants to stick to the 4" size.

I like what Windows 8.1 has done also- the flagship Nokia that is running 8.1 is the Nokia 930 or Icon- both of which are 5".  1biggrin.gif  

I will note- 1 handed use is not very important to me, as I use 2 hands in almost everything I do- outside of talking on the phone. 

I agree. Not only on the iPad / iPhone combo, but also on the choice of WP8 if there was no iOS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple taps Catcher for metal casings on next-gen 'iPhone 6'