or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple beats estimates with $10.2B in profit on sales of 43.7M iPhones, 16.3M iPads

Apple beats estimates with $10.2B in profit on sales of 43.7M iPhones, 16.3M iPads - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

The big news is Angela Ahrendts joining the Apple team next week. BOOM !

Yes! AA is a very big deal!

Also, I like what Apple is doing financially:
  • stock split to attract smaller investor and (hopefully) reduce manipulation
  • stock buyback using inexpensive borrowing
  • dividend increase and commitment to future increases

I would also like to see some sort of dividend reinvestment program (DRIP) -- where a shareholder can reinvest dividends to automatically purchase additional shares.

It is possible that Apple is in the process of changing AAPL into a different kind of investment -- a GRIST (GRowth/Income STock) attractive to many types of investors.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I would also like to see some sort of dividend reinvestment program (DRIP) -- where a shareholder can reinvest dividends to automatically purchase additional shares.

It is possible that Apple is in the process of changing AAPL into a different kind of investment -- a GRIST (GRowth/Income STock) attractive to many types of investors.

Indeed, Ms. Ahrendts is huge deal for Apple, more so than most people realize. Retail, sad to say, has suffered a lot since Ron Johnson departed. This news has to give the Retail employees a big boost.

post #43 of 63
One thing I haven't seen mentioned …

The stock split date is for AAPL shareholders of record on June 2 – the same date as WWDC Keynote.

I suspect that this is not a coincidence!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #44 of 63
APPLE IS DOOMED! Look the iPad sales are down! I have serious doubts about Apple. APPLE IS DOOMED!

Thought I'd say it before the media does. Thanks.
post #45 of 63
Quote:

Quote:

Indeed, Ms. Ahrendts is huge deal for Apple, more so than most people realize. Retail, sad to say, has suffered a lot since Ron Johnson departed. This news has to give the Retail employees a big boost.

I think she will add a lot to Apple's senior management, including more than just retail.

Watch a strategic thinker in action:

http://live.wsj.com/video/social-media-on-the-global-runway/0913196F-EB7E-49B4-9B1F-BFBCB55935BA.html#!4D2E16D3-510A-4EEB-9DA0-798E7E246782

I suspect we will see Angela take an active (and very welcome) part in the WWDC and future product announcements.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 4/23/14 at 4:23pm
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #46 of 63
Quote:

The big news is Angela Ahrendts joining the Apple team next week. BOOM !

I guess that bonus article is bullshit.
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Except for iPads it was a blow out quarter. Be interesting to see what they say about tablets.

But fairly impressive.

To be fair, Apple provided a more significant update to its iPad line up over this holiday season than last. I suspect lots of people jumped on iPads for the holiday. 

post #48 of 63
Quote:

I know you can do that on Scottrade (I did). I know that's not the exact same thing but just saying.

post #49 of 63
Apple grew EPS 15% this quarter
Google grew EPS 1% this quarter

So why the frick is Googles PE 27 and Apple is 13,
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How many people (I am certainly one) skipped on replacing their original/iPad 2 with a new one this past year because of the lack of Touch ID? If my next phone is going to have it then I want it on my iPad too. I can't imagine I was alone on that.

That was one of my reasons for not upgrading, plus my iPad 2 is still cranking along. But have to admit it's getting a bit sluggish, loading certain heavy content website, games etc. I blame the small ram more than the processor... Best of my limited knowledge.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #51 of 63
Where are you now, Constable Dodo?
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Where are you now, Constable Dodo?

It's hard to type when you're using both hands to stuff your mouth with crow. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's hard to type when you're using both hands to stuff your mouth with crow. lol.gif

No, he'll still complain about future results.
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The iPad was a huge yoy dip. But everything else was rosy. Services had greater revenue than iPods or macs.

But. iPads. Not good. Might explain the move to a phablet.

Not sure where you got that services was more than macs. Macs generated over $1B more than Services according to Apple's financial statement at $5.5B as compared to services at 4.5B. iPod is less than $500M.

http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q2fy14datasum.pdf
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

To be fair, Apple provided a more significant update to its iPad line up over this holiday season than last. I suspect lots of people jumped on iPads for the holiday. 

iPad sales performance during the 2013 holiday season was covered at the previous quarterly earnings announcement in January.

You are three months late.

post #56 of 63
Quote:

Quote:

I think she will add a lot to Apple's senior management, including more than just retail.

Watch a strategic thinker in action:

http://live.wsj.com/video/social-media-on-the-global-runway/0913196F-EB7E-49B4-9B1F-BFBCB55935BA.html#!4D2E16D3-510A-4EEB-9DA0-798E7E246782

I suspect we will see Angela take an active (and very welcome) part in the WWDC and future product announcements.

I absolutely love the fact that Angela is coming to Apple, and that other very intelligent women like Marissa Mayer are cosying up to Apple and getting the respect and media attention that they so deserve.

Let's face it, tech has been the realm and sandbox for the boys to play in forever. It's about time we let the other, more beautiful and pragmatic half of the planet take a serious shot at letting us know where we have unnecessarily complicated things with our primitive "pails, shovels and back hoes", and bring an even more humanist and organic experience and approach than even Apple has given us thus far.

Also, women are far more willing to pay for utility AND style... often much more... see shoes, bags and accessories as an example. I would venture to say that a huge amount of the growth of Apple is due to women finding it approachable and useful tech... and the iPod and iPhones being truthfully the first "wearables" in their eyes. If Apple is going to be successful with ANY future wearable tech... they best talk to the ladies first about that and give them a say in how it looks and works. This is what will set Apple wearables apart from the competition and "cheap Asian Knock-Offs".

There's a ton of growth still left in the tech market, and I seriously believe it will be that "other half" of our species that will influence it, and quite possibly make it better and far less complicated, even for us tech dudes.

*** This coming from the guy that missed the only goal of the CL game last night between Real:Bayern updating/fixing Spotify and iMessage for his ex on her iPad! Felt like "sand in my boxers and socks" after that howler by the Bayern defense when catching the replay amid, "is it working yet?"..... grrrr!!
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #57 of 63

That's a pretty great iPhone figure. 43.7m in only 3 months, it creates a big software market. And the Mac is taking more and more of the shrinking computer market. I wonder if it will be the majority computer one day. And that shrinking computer market isn't disappearing, it's shifting to tablets, and iPad dominates there too.

post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

That was one of my reasons for not upgrading, plus my iPad 2 is still cranking along. But have to admit it's getting a bit sluggish, loading certain heavy content website, games etc. I blame the small ram more than the processor... Best of my limited knowledge.

Sluggish is being nice! It's still an incredible device though. Considering it's my practically my main computer now, it's time for an upgrade.
post #59 of 63
Translate this as > 1 billion Asian people don't yet fully understand how slimy shiny marketing can make average products and general corporate evil seem palatable.
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Not sure what to make of the iPad shortfall. That doesn't seem to bode well.

It's the price. Who would want a iPad Mini retina at $399? iPad Air with 35% screen larger for only $100 difference. 

post #61 of 63
I guess it's awesome that Apple can command such profits, but since they and their investors' main idea about what to do with all the money seems to be to give it to the shareholders -- and I'm not a shareholder -- I'd frankly rather see lower prices on some of the entry level products, particularly in poorer foreign markets, to boost market share and get more people into the ecosystem.
post #62 of 63
Dooooooooomed I say!
post #63 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So why the frick is Googles PE 27 and Apple is 13,

The stock market has nothing to do with reality, but instead peoples perception of reality?

Unless you are in for the long term - time cures all ills, including blatant manipulation...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple beats estimates with $10.2B in profit on sales of 43.7M iPhones, 16.3M iPads