or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2014 conference call
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2014 conference call

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Apple surprised the market on Wednesday by not only beating expectations for its second fiscal quarter of 2014, but also announcing a 7-for-1 stock split, increased share buybacks, and a a higher quarterly dividend. Following the announcements, executives from the company participated in a conference call with analysts and the media, and notes of interest follow.

Execs


Participating in the call were Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer, and Corporate Comptroller Luca Maestri.

Highlights



  • $45.6 billion in revenue was new March quarter record and the highest-ever non-holiday quarter
  • Earnings per share saw highest growth rate in last six quarter
  • iTunes, software and services revenue grew at a double-digit rate
  • 800 million iTunes accounts, most of which have credit cards
  • Mac sales continued to exceed the overall PC market
  • Over two-thirds of people registering an iPad were new to the platform, while over half iPhone users were also new
  • Products and services are expanding into "new markets," Cook said
  • Incoming retail chief Angela Ahrendts joins Apple's executive team next week
  • Apple has acquired 24 companies over the last 18 months
  • The company is planning annual dividend increases going forward
  • Apple ended quarter with $156 billion in cash, about $18 billion of it held domestically
  • Apple has no plans to repatriate hits huge overseas cash sum, saying it would not be a valuable move for shareholders
  • 7-for-1 stock split will take place June 2, 2014, trading will begin split-adjusted on June 9


Apple's iPhone business



iPhone sales were up 17 percent years over year. Apple specifically cited China Mobile as leading an all-time quarterly record in the nation of China.

In Japan, iPhone sales were up 50 percent year over year. Strong growth was also seen in "many other developed markets."

iPhone also saw strength in Brazil, Poland, Turkey, and Indonesia with "strong double-digit" growth. Sales in India also more than doubled.

Siemens has 30,000 iPhones deployed among its employees, with numerous in-house apps developed.

iPhone ASPs were down a little over $40 this quarter, largest sequential decline to date. About half of that decline was driven by sales of the iPhone 4S in emerging markets, Maestri said. The rest was lower capacity mix while moving away from the launch quarter.

"We sold a very, very low single-digit percentage (of iPhone 4 units)," Cook said. Those sales had a minimal impact to results on the quarter.

iPhone 4S drew in new user ratios in the 80 percent range in some markets, Cook said. "If we can get them in on the entry iPhone, it gives them a great product at a great value and gets them into the ecosystem." Cited Apple's ability to keep customers.

Apple's expanded share buyback program



Cook said Apple plans to continue to investing in R&D, supply chain, retail, marketing, distribution, and expansion into new markets.

Apple plans to have enough cash on hand to be flexible, but the company plans to revisit its capital allocation program every year.

Cook said Apple is fortunate to be able to return "significant" capital to shareholders.

Program is increased by $30 billion, for total program size of over $130 billion. Cook called the size and pace "unprecedented," and completion is still expected for December of 2015.

"Vast majority" of its program is focused on share repurchases, because Apple believes its current share price does not reflect the value of the company.

Dividend increase for the second time in two years is "meaningful," Cook said. Apple is planning for annual dividend increases going forward.

Apple's iPad business



Cook said iPad shipments came on the high end of Apple's own estimates, though the 16.3 million units shipped disappointed analysts.

Cook said he continues to believe that the tablet market will surpass the PC market in size in the next few years, and that Apple will be a major player in this market.

Channel inventory was reduced this year, while last year the company increased channel inventory by 1.4 million units.

iPad users in America generate almost 4 times the traffic of Android tablets.

Among people planning to purchase a tablet within 90 days, two thirds plan to buy an iPad.

"Thousands" of iPads being used at delivery company FedEx every day.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is planning to deploy 11,000 iPads to change how doctors and patients interact. Will allow quick access to real-time secure medical information.

iPad has over 95 percent share of U.S. education market.

iPad "absolutely has been the fastest growing product in Apple's history," Cook said. Company has sold over 210 million to date, which is more than the company initially thought was possible, and is also almost twice as many iPhones as the company sold in a comparable period of time.

91 percent of tablet activations in enterprise are iPads.

Cook said Apple has to focus on iPad penetration in both education and enterprise markets to drive further sales.

The release of Microsoft Office for iPad will help drive sales, Cook said. How much is unclear, but the CEO said it would have been better for Microsoft if they had come to market earlier.

"Office is still a very key franchise in the enterprise, in particular, and I think having it on the iPad is good," Cook said.

Customer satisfaction with iPad is at 98 percent. Cook said "there's almost nothing in the world" with a 98 percent satisfaction rate.

"There is no shortage of work going in" on how to make the iPad better going forward. No shortage of ideas for future directions for iPad either, Cook said.

Apple's iTunes and App Store businesses



Cook called iTunes a major part of Apple's business.

Sales were up to $2.6 billion.

Cumulative app downloads are over 70 billion.

The App Store generated 85 percent more revenue than Google Play in the March quarter.

Apple's Mac business



Apple cited strong performances from the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

The Mac has gained market share in 31 of the last 32 quarters.

Apple's retail business



First stores in Brazil and Turkey opened in the quarter.

Angela Ahrendts joins Apple's executive team next week

Apple's next (Q3 F2014) quarter



Apple is investing "heavily" in R&D into the next quarter, for both current products and future products and services.
post #2 of 33
Angela Ahrendts joins Apple next week.

BOOM !
post #3 of 33
"The numbers don't lie%u2026 Apple is DOOMED!" - said every uninformed Apple hater/Samsung devotee.
post #4 of 33

Come on Apple bashers.... anything to say?

 

Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?

post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Angela Ahrendts joins Apple next week.

BOOM !

is that true, if so then what I said about her sticking around until she collects a bonus did not make sense especially with a stock split coming. 

 

I do not want to be negative, but I am curious how the market is going to spin this all to be bad. The market does not want to see Apple to grow that is for sure.


Edited by Maestro64 - 4/23/14 at 2:43pm
post #6 of 33

Angela is joining Apple next week.

When Angela joins Apple and takes stage in coming Apple Event... it will be the best dressed moment on the stage!

First ever lady to talk on Apple Stage.

 

But what about 2 million pounds performance bonus?  Apple will pay that?  

post #7 of 33

Tim reported Ms. Ahrendts arrival early in the call. 

post #8 of 33
Pleased with AAPL's quarter and its newfound sensitivity toward the investment community. The financial engineering should buttress the company's value until it expands its pipeline.
post #9 of 33
Mac Sales at 12% is a great sign for future growth.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Mac Sales at 12% is a great sign for future growth.

But I, a stock anal-cyst, was expecting 23 million Mac Pros alone. WTF?

post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Dividend increase for the second time in two years is "meaningful," Cook said. Apple is planning for annual dividend increases going forward.

Does that mean 7x the dividend moving on plus whatever the increase is per share or will the dividend also be divided by 7?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 33
Double post
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Does that mean 7x the dividend moving on plus whatever the increase is per share or will the dividend also be divided by 7?
Wishful thinking. Lol
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Does that mean 7x the dividend moving on plus whatever the increase is per share or will the dividend also be divided by 7?

I was looking for the ¿ at the end of your question. All things remain relative in a stock split....7x the amount of shares, 1/7 the share price and 1/7 the dividend. Plus, obviously, earnings per share will be 1/7, also, which directly relates to the dividend.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I was looking for the ¿ at the end of your question. All things remain relative in a stock split....7x the amount of shares, 1/7 the share price and 1/7 the dividend. Plus, obviously, earnings per share will be 1/7, also, which directly relates to the dividend.

I figured that was the case but I've always seen dividends are being per share so I wasn't 100% sure.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #16 of 33
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
91 percent of tablet activations in enterprise are iPads.

 

"Winning."

 

And Ballmer wanted to leverage Office to try to sell Surface Pros.

Better for MS to fall back on their core competencies: Desktop Windows and Office on various (popular) platforms.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #17 of 33

Somebody didn't listen to the conference call! The constant negativity from the  NYT is tragic

 

post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Angela is joining Apple next week.
When Angela joins Apple and takes stage in coming Apple Event... it will be the best dressed moment on the stage!
First ever lady to talk on Apple Stage.

But what about 2 million pounds performance bonus?  Apple will pay that?  
How do we know Angela is going to present at the next Apple event?
post #19 of 33
For those that want some REALLY good historical data on Apple, go to this site. It's fairly up to date and they present the information in a lot of useful ways to analyze the company aside from their financial reports (Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cash Flow). This site breaks down products sales, etc. it's a GREAT site to analyze Apple from a more detailed look at their revenue stream by product category, etc. etc.

http://barefigur.es
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

For those that want some REALLY good historical data on Apple, go to this site. It's fairly up to date and they present the information in a lot of useful ways to analyze the company aside from their financial reports (Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cash Flow). This site breaks down products sales, etc. it's a GREAT site to analyze Apple from a more detailed look at their revenue stream by product category, etc. etc.

http://barefigur.es

Impressive and useful site. Love the use of modern web code.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Impressive and useful site. Love the use of modern web code.

Agreed, and so very informative. Somebody in Spain knows what they're doing.

Edit: seems like it's a one man operation. Francesco Schwarz to be precise.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



Impressive and useful site. Love the use of modern web code.

 



Yeah, it rocks. The ONLY thing I would LIKE to see on the site, but I know he can't, is sales per SKU. It would be nice to see the sales of each model desktop, laptop, iPhone/iPod/IPad model just to see trends and breakdowns in the market.

He has made some cool changes with how the data is presented, but it's up to date fairly quickly and I routinely spend at least 30 hours quarter looking at the numbers and noticing year to year trends by quarter.

He's got other companies that he plans on putting up, so maybe soon he'll have other companies we want to look at, but this site is a MUST HAVE for ANYONE that wants to see Apple, or the other companies listed from a more detailed perspective.
post #23 of 33

Hello there, I’m the creator of Bare Figures.

 

@drblank: Thanks a lot for the praise, that is really nice of you. You’re right, sales per SKU would be awesome. If only Apple would officially release that data… But I think Asymco does a perfect job in analyzing and estimating numbers of that kind.

 

@SolipsismX: Thanks a lot for noticing that! :-)

 

Right now I’m refactoring a lot in the backend of the site to make it a lot better. After that I will continue to add new companies. Stay tuned! :-)

post #24 of 33
The 95% and 91% market share for Education and Enterprise, respectively, is absolutely staggering, and is the most important take-away from today's conference call. Those numbers, in a nutshell, explain why IOS users outspend Android users by a significant margin. Educated consumers with disposable income choose iOS over Android. The future is bright. $150 a share by 2016.1tongue.gif
post #25 of 33
Does anyone know have an idea of what the repatriation tax rate is? Would the cash be taxed as income just as if it was earned in the US? Is there a snowball's chance in hell that the Fed Gov't would create a repatriation tax holiday in the foreseeable future? What is Apple ultimately going to do with the $120b that sits overseas? Is there a way they can spend that $? Acquisitions? It would be nice if APple Insider would editorialize this aspect of Apple's business. Thanks.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I was looking for the ¿ at the end of your question. All things remain relative in a stock split....7x the amount of shares, 1/7 the share price and 1/7 the dividend. Plus, obviously, earnings per share will be 1/7, also, which directly relates to the dividend.

Gonna be strange to see Apple trade in the $80 area. And then earnings of $1.50+ a share.
post #27 of 33
Wonder if judge cote, DOJ, google/Samscum, amzn boozo, WSJ.....el al, has been shorting appl shares? They might have to pound their heads against the wall tomorrow to let the shit come out...
post #28 of 33

Yep did not take the analysis long to come up with why apple is Doomed, they were disappointed Apple did not announce any new products on the call. They are still making statement that apple is over valued since they have no new product and the fact they were not introduced yesterday show that apple has nothing in the pipeline.

 

Is the investment community that stupid to listen to analysis making that statement when Apple entire history they never intro a product on an earning call.

post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

The 95% and 91% market share for Education and Enterprise, respectively, is absolutely staggering, and is the most important take-away from today's conference call. Those numbers, in a nutshell, explain why IOS users outspend Android users by a significant margin. Educated consumers with disposable income choose iOS over Android. The future is bright. $150 a share by 2016.1tongue.gif

I agree. I'm particularly happy to see the Enterprise number so high because it also means Microsoft has been frozen out of the market where it once enjoyed total dominance. They came late to the party with so-so products and couldn't muscle themselves back in and dominate. Another market Microsoft lost out on is the U.S. government purchases for phones and tablets. The GSA went through the whole process from RFQ to award while Microsoft sat out the process. That was a three-year contract with a three-year optional extension. Apple was the only company who's phone and table was accepted.

Someday someone will write a book on how Steve Ballmer pissed away Microsoft's future in mobile devices and overall dominance of Enterprise and Government; and I will stand in line to buy it.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric38 View Post

Does anyone know have an idea of what the repatriation tax rate is? Would the cash be taxed as income just as if it was earned in the US? Is there a snowball's chance in hell that the Fed Gov't would create a repatriation tax holiday in the foreseeable future? What is Apple ultimately going to do with the $120b that sits overseas? Is there a way they can spend that $? Acquisitions? It would be nice if APple Insider would editorialize this aspect of Apple's business. Thanks.

Apple has already been taxed once by the various governments on their earnings. They would be taxed on the post-tax income by the US Gov. Without any expenses to offset the income, the owed tax would be high. The US government would benefit by a tax holiday because that money could stimulate the US economy greatly - especially if that were a stipulation of the holiday.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


I agree. I'm particularly happy to see the Enterprise number so high because it also means Microsoft has been frozen out of the market where it once enjoyed total dominance. They came late to the party with so-so products and couldn't muscle themselves back in and dominate. Another market Microsoft lost out on is the U.S. government purchases for phones and tablets. The GSA went through the whole process from RFQ to award while Microsoft sat out the process. That was a three-year contract with a three-year optional extension. Apple was the only company who's phone and table was accepted.

Someday someone will write a book on how Steve Ballmer pissed away Microsoft's future in mobile devices and overall dominance of Enterprise and Government; and I will stand in line to buy it.

Ballmer ran Microsoft with WAY too much arrogance just sitting on the entrenched monopoly and the thought that people actually will stand in line to buy any piece of hardware with the name Microsoft on it.  What he doesn't realize or didn't was that most Windows users are forced through their companies to use Microsoft Windows computers and Office.  But when a company opens up the platform choice to the employee REALITY is that a fairly large percentage of employees want Apple or Android.  This is now proven fact. I don't know of a single company that has opened up the doors for the employees to choose the platform where they ONLY wanted Microsoft.  This mind set is opening up a lot of new doors for Apple, Android as well.  The problem Apple faces in the Enterprise market is that the IT Administration software that they use to manage their PCs (I think it's a Microsoft product, which shouldn't be a surprise) only supports PCs and not both PCs and Macs.  This is the kind of sleazy things Microosft does.  They open the door for Apple with things like Exchange, Office, but that door doesn't open wide enough to allow more Enterprise customers for switching or REALLY opening the door for Apple.  Ballmer blew it with Zune, Surface, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phones that I think they might actually have to shut down Nokia and maybe have to sell it off, because they aren't getting the traction they really need to be profitable.  Oops.

post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
 

Ballmer ran Microsoft with WAY too much arrogance just sitting on the entrenched monopoly and the thought that people actually will stand in line to buy any piece of hardware with the name Microsoft on it.  What he doesn't realize or didn't was that most Windows users are forced through their companies to use Microsoft Windows computers and Office.  But when a company opens up the platform choice to the employee REALITY is that a fairly large percentage of employees want Apple or Android.  This is now proven fact. I don't know of a single company that has opened up the doors for the employees to choose the platform where they ONLY wanted Microsoft.  This mind set is opening up a lot of new doors for Apple, Android as well.  The problem Apple faces in the Enterprise market is that the IT Administration software that they use to manage their PCs (I think it's a Microsoft product, which shouldn't be a surprise) only supports PCs and not both PCs and Macs.  This is the kind of sleazy things Microosft does.  They open the door for Apple with things like Exchange, Office, but that door doesn't open wide enough to allow more Enterprise customers for switching or REALLY opening the door for Apple.  Ballmer blew it with Zune, Surface, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows Phones that I think they might actually have to shut down Nokia and maybe have to sell it off, because they aren't getting the traction they really need to be profitable.  Oops.

 

Hmm..."arrogance" is a good way to describe Uncle Fester, AKA Steve Ballmer. I was present when a developer questioned him about Microsoft's love of keyboards as the prime method of communicating with computers. This was after the iPhone came out but before the iPad. Fester responded, "We use keyboards because our customers want keyboards." BOOM, end of subject!

 

I'm sure I was not the only person who thought to themselves, "This guy isn't even curious why someone might ask such a question. The topic was poison in his mind." So, it wasn't any surprise then the Surface appeared a few years later with the keyboard front and center and demanding the need for a desk top. It was also laden with lots of ports as if tying a computer down with cables was essential to getting work done. By the time you got the Surface running you needed a power source... so add another cable. And THIS, my friend was Uncle Fester's vision of portability.

 

The product has gotten better over time, but Uncle Fester's greasy paw prints are still all over it.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I figured that was the case but I've always seen dividends are being per share so I wasn't 100% sure.

Even Apple would start running out of cash if they put the dividend up 600% in one year!

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2014 conference call