or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' may sport curved edges, display glass

Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' may sport curved edges, display glass

post #1 of 44
A report on Wednesday claims Apple's next-generation iPhone may employ a curved chassis design and accompanying display glass, a vast departure from the substantially squared-off design used on existing Apple handsets.

Squair's "Curvaceous Bumper." | Source: Squair

Citing a "trusted source," Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports the so-called "iPhone 6" will sport "rounded" edges and a curved display glass much like the design seen on Samsung's Galaxy S III. The publication's sources have a decent track record in predicting future Apple product designs, especially regarding displays and screen tech.

Aside from the Galaxy S III, Apple's supposed iPhone design is akin to an existing iPhone bumper made by Japanese company Squair (seen above). The metallic bumper, made out of Duralumin, features a largely rounded-off edge that protrudes from the iPhone's chassis. It is unclear if the iPhone 6 will boast such a severe curvature.

To accommodate the rounded edges, a slightly curved display glass is also said to be part of Apple's design plans. Based on what can be gleaned from the report, it seems like the top glass will not feature a convex face, but rounded edges to sit flush with the chassis.

Finally, the iPhone 6 will do away with the dual glass-covered antenna windows seen on the back of iPhone 5 and 5s models, the source said. It is unknown what method of radio transmission will be utilized in the upcoming handset, though Apple will likely take steps to avoid another "antennagate" debacle.

Earlier this month, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said in a research note that Apple would release two new iPhones this year, a 4.7-inch version and a larger phablet-style 5.5-inch model. Kuo believes the 4.7-inch iteration will use a 1,334-by-750-pixel display with a resolution of 326 pixels per inch in a bid to maintain congruency with current apps. The 5.5-inch version would be a more traditional 1,920-by-1,080 pixels, which translates to 401ppi.
post #2 of 44

This is good news!! I personally detest the squared off design and the sharp edges. This will be a nice change (if it is true)

post #3 of 44
So basically the new iPhone will have an iPod touch/iPad style design.
post #4 of 44
I'm sure it will be nice, but I'm definitely into the defined edges the iPhone has had since 4. If some how the glass is curved to increase one handed use, then that will be cool though.
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The article says like the Samsung Galaxy S III. For the clickbait.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Click bait is usually the title. No way of telling that there's a SGS 3 reference until after you've clicked on it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #7 of 44
Quote:

which is stupid. iPod and iPad have curved design. The only interesting thing is how they handle the antennas. I'd love it if they could do something similar to the LTE iPad but not sure if that is feasible with the iPhone.
post #8 of 44

How retro :(

post #9 of 44
no!!! no curved edges! i set my phone on its edges on a flat surface to take photos so often, i would miss being able to do that...

i hear what others are saying about the feel tho, the flat edge definitely took getting used to after the iPhone 3.
post #10 of 44

I really hope this will not turn out to be true. It will be a huge step backwards; a case of form over function.

There are so many Apps, built-in functionality, and general uses. that utilize the flat end, edges, and the flat back of the iPhone.

It's also what really sets the iPhone apart, visually, from it's competitors.

post #11 of 44
Those curves look like a 1991 Ford Taurus, not a BMW. :/
post #12 of 44
Curved glass?! OMG, here comes another lawsuit from Samscum claiming they came up with the idea first! Think I'll park my butt with a beer in my hand and some popcorn on the side to watch the fireworks! 1tongue.gif
post #13 of 44

Now, iPHone looks like Samsung phones. But no one cares... because 

1. It can be Apple's slap to Samsung 

2. People think still iPhone is cool. 

post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes, but I assume they will have figured out a way to make the antenna still external. I'm not even sure that's possible but I am assuming it until shown proof that it's not.

PS: The history of the Stealth Bomber's evolution and difficultly of moving from flat to curved panels made possible because of some obscure math done by a Russian mathematician is an interesting story. I think it might have been NOVA episode but I'm not certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stf2012 View Post

no!!! no curved edges! i set my phone on its edges on a flat surface to take photos so often, i would miss being able to do that...

Looks like you'll have to wait to buy it with Curvair's "Squaireous Bumper." 1biggrin.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

The original iPhone and the next generation of iPhone, as well as the iPad and most of the iPods have had curved edges.

post #16 of 44
Noooo!
I hope Apple retains the current design and form factor of the iPhone.
Isn't that why it is selling well?
post #17 of 44

Blah, blah, blah...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Blah, blah, blah...

Yada, yada, yada...

post #19 of 44
I like the square sides - that way I can set it on a level surface and it doesn't fall over.
post #20 of 44
The curved edges may be more than aesthetics. I remember reading an article about Apple's interest touch capable areas other than a phone's screen. Imagine if the rounded touch-capable areas could be used for input. Apps could do all sorts of things.

- sliders (volume, etc)
- control areas for games
- maybe even a "modifier key" for a normal touch
post #21 of 44
Hope this isn't true, the flat edges are great use in multiple aspects as has been stated.
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I really hope this will not turn out to be true. It will be a huge step backwards; a case of form over function.
There are so many Apps, built-in functionality, and general uses. that utilize the flat end, edges, and the flat back of the iPhone.

No worries, The new built-in gyroscope will hold the iPhone in whatever position you place it. It's magical.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Blah, blah, blah...

Yada, yada, yada...

Waah, waaahn. wa, waan, waah, waah.(best I could do for peanuts teacher)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf0
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #24 of 44
It's gonna look like a bigger iPod 5 1smile.gif
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The original iPhone and the next generation of iPhone, as well as the iPad and most of the iPods have had curved edges.

Yes, but mentioning Samsung in an article doubles site engagement. 1wink.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #26 of 44
Quote:

Yes, but mentioning Samsung in an article doubles site engagement. 1wink.gif

My apologies. The image below represents the proper (and my current) reaction intended by AI.

post #27 of 44

I wonder if this means they'll change the design for the iPod Touch to keep diversity.

post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keda View Post

The curved edges may be more than aesthetics. I remember reading an article about Apple's interest touch capable areas other than a phone's screen. Imagine if the rounded touch-capable areas could be used for input. Apps could do all sorts of things.

- sliders (volume, etc)
- control areas for games
- maybe even a "modifier key" for a normal touch

And these features would require a rounded edge rather than a flat edge because………?

post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

No worries, The new built-in gyroscope will hold the iPhone in whatever position you place it. It's magical.

Why that's preposterous!

Your just being silly.  I'm sure Apple will simply install a built-in kick-stand.

post #30 of 44
I really miss the feel of the 3S. It fit so comfortably in the pocket and it felt great in the hand. I wouldn't mind moving on to a curved design somewhere down the road.
post #31 of 44
Looks like the original iPhone 1. We've come full circle.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Click bait is usually the title. No way of telling that there's a SGS 3 reference until after you've clicked on it.

Do you really think that AI would get more clicks if the title read:

iPhone 6 Copies 3 Year Old Samsung Phone

I'm joking... of course.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Apple did the curve with the first 4 iterations. Flat is best. They won't go back.
post #34 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I like the square sides - that way I can set it on a level surface and it doesn't fall over.

... Maybe it'll have a kick stand... ?

Whoosh!...ducking the barrage of "green apple-insiders" throwing comments that don't understand my, nor the humor juxtaposed with "surface" in the original sentance...1smoking.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #35 of 44
iPhone 6 copies which phone?

Edited by Ireland - 4/24/14 at 1:57am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike022465 View Post

Curved glass?!

Relax, the title or article doesn't say curved glass. The article even mentions specifically that the top glass would not be convex, just the bare edge to meet the metal in a smooth manner. The glass would still be flat in that scenario, just slightly beveled at the very edge.
Edited by Ireland - 4/24/14 at 2:00am
post #37 of 44
Quote:

And these features would require a rounded edge rather than a flat edge because………?

Curved edges would allow for a single, continuous surface. Maybe the "control edges" would be operable after an activation step to avoid erroneous touches.

This wold be hard to do with perpendicular faces, because the phone would likely require separate pieces of glass, and not offer the surface continuity of a round edge face.
post #38 of 44
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Yada, yada, yada...

Apple: But you can’t yada yada trials!

Samsung: *raises hand* I’ve yada yada’d trials!

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #39 of 44
And if the bottom looks like the top, I guess this would affect (negatively) the use of Cycloramic:

http://cycloramic.com/index_main.html#video
post #40 of 44
Quote:

Actually, it's function over form.

The iPhone 4 and 5 designs are a MUCH worse design than the original iPhone and 3g/3gs.

You see, it's a PHONE.  You do sometimes have to hold it in your hand and talk on it.  The 3 is comfortable, the 4 is not, and the 5 is even worse.

I'm using a 4 now because tethering is much faster over wifi than Bluetooth and it's got a faster processor.  But if it weren't for my Bluetooth headset, I'd have to switch back to the 3gs. 

I just hope Apple maintains a reasonable screen size option, those Samsung phones are ridiculously large.  And PLEASE don't make it thinner again, thicker with much longer battery life would be amazing - and easier to hold. 

Oh, and I know an easily and quickly swappable battery is probably too much to ask for, but please, Apple?  Back when I carried dumbphones, I always kept a couple spare batteries charging, and changed them out when I ran the battery down (which happens if you're on the phone for several hours a day, and I am some days).  Now instead of a spare battery, I have to have a spare iPhone, and do a SIM swap when the battery dies.  And if Apple comes out with a swappable battery now, it'll be regarded as a brilliant innovation.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 6' may sport curved edges, display glass