or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Wall Street impressed by Apple's surprise second quarter, analysts see stock headed to new highs

Wall Street impressed by Apple's surprise second quarter, analysts see stock headed to new highs - Page 3

post #81 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

No, of course, otherwise that would be an insane increase, up dividends by a factor of seven?: I was doing a  funny.

Ah! I sincerely asked about it yesterday. It seems crazy that dividends per share would not be divided but I have no experience or knowledge with dividends after a split so I did ask. So I guess I'm the only ignorant one around here.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #82 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Apple has raised its dividend , increased the stock buyback, and split the stock all in hope of rewarding investors for their patient wait and Apples dwindling stock price in a Bull market. Hppefully Apple has products in the pipeline that will be released soon. As for Apple beating the Anal-ists estimates. It just goes to prove that they really don't know much about Apple

Dwindling stock price?

----

Somebody likes colors
post #83 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ah! I sincerely asked about it yesterday. It seems crazy that dividends per share would not be divided but I have no experience or knowledge with dividends after a split so I did ask. So I guess I'm the only ignorant one around here.

I have to admit to a moments hope on that front but then I noted if such a dramatic increase in return to investors was planned they'd have trumpeted it to the rooftops and they hadn't. So those Maserati brochures got quietly tucked back away....

I expect there's an understandable difficulty in language when you're discussing across a stock split divide like that.

post #84 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Dwindling stock price?

NYTimes headline for June 9th: BREAKING: Apple stock price plummets by nearly 500 points.

post #85 of 110
Quote:

NYTimes headline for June 9th: BREAKING: Apple stock price plummets by nearly 500 points.

Nah: "APPLE Slashes dividend from $3.29 to $0.47 per share!"

post #86 of 110
Quote:

Are my calculations correct?

I am trying to figure out what the new share price will need to be for Apple to be a $1 TRILLION DOLLAR company.

With 861.74 million shares the price needs to be $1160. Based on the 7:1 split, and not including any drop in shares from their massive buyback, apple will need to reach $165.78 per share.

Despite all the rationality we profess too, that's perhaps the somewhat irrational, purely psychological beauty of stock splits: getting to $165 from $80 seems far more do-able than getting from $565 to $1160, doesn't it?
post #87 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Well., as long as the plantation owners are happy.

Go get yourself a good education, then get out and see the world, as you are obviously clueless.
post #88 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I love this guy, actually. He adds flavor. And reminds me of Time Cube.

I suspect LSD 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #89 of 110
Quote:

My wife was all excited about that too lol, I felt bad telling her. That said, it would have been a great way for Tim to give back the wealth. 1biggrin.gif I would suggest only allowing long time share holders to have the 7x increase though ... 1smoking.gif
post #90 of 110
Maynard Um, ahahahaha
post #91 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect LSD 1biggrin.gif

On The Contrary, I'm Leading AUSTERITY !  ;)

post #92 of 110
Quote:

I'd suspect it does given the entire stock thing is so psychological, there seems to be zero actual math involved for Wall Street. I am many others have argued that a stock split would be a good idea for the last few years only to be told it would never happen and we were stupid by many 'experts' on this blog. Oh well, it's nice to see Tim agrees with us 1smoking.gif

I am disappointed the dividends are being split by 7 too though ... Tim what were you thinking? 1biggrin.gif

Side question: how do you add the tag lines to your AI profile? I've looked everywhere to see where I can add this and have had no success in located this profile attribute.
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
post #93 of 110
Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post
Side question: how do you add the tag lines to your AI profile? I've looked everywhere to see where I can add this and have had no success in located this profile attribute.

Tag lines… you mean a signature? You can add it from any page on the forum by going here:

Or by navigating to your user page directly.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #94 of 110
Quote:

There was a contest on the Yahoo AAPL stock message board about a year ago to see who could write the funniest 'bad', as in bad-news-for-Apple headline. I won. Some of my entries:

Apple employee loses pre-release iWatch at gym where South Korean ambassador works out

iPhone found to be favored by girls named Kim, but Samsung Galaxy phones still number one with guys named Kim

Apple iWatch owner and avid free diver drowns while requesting Siri play Beach Boys Kokomo

Samsung iPhone trademark registration found among recently surfaced Jamestown papers

Mormon community bankrupts AT&T and Verizon by taking advantage of family share plans, carriers seek court permission to reduce expenses by ending iPhone subsidies

Blackberry Q phone sales spike as gang bangers dismantle devices to wear keyboards as bling, Apple virtual keyboards cannot offer similar value

Microsoft Surface tablet found most popular among monks at Vatican Scriptorium, Apple likely to cede entire Scriptorium market

Wood pulp consortium to protest airline's use of iPads, claims elimination of paper a major contributor to loss of remaining American manufacturing jobs

Mid-priced iPhone sales spike, but may spell death of iPod, flags flown at half staff during wild celebrations at Apple's Cupertino campus

Apple's Stuxnet-like virus goes off early, kills seven million in Southeast Asia but misses prime target, Samsung's Chief Re-engineering Officer

Apple's Cook decides to reveal recipe for success, allows competitors to stop making fools of themselves

Apple fails to buy back shares in last quarter of flagging stock price

New Apple store in Seoul built on sacred burial ground, archeologists find remains of lost tribe with oversized hands
post #95 of 110
Quote:

Tag lines… you mean a signature? You can add it from any page on the forum by going here:

Or by navigating to your user page directly.

Thanks so much. I never thought to look up In the upper right corner of the screen for that drop down menu; the information there is only presented when I'm scrolled to the top of a page am I'm never at the top of an article when I'm thinking about adding a signature, so I never saw it. Whew, thought I was losing my mind.
post #96 of 110
Quote:

iPhone found to be favored by girls named Kim, but Samsung Galaxy phones still number one with guys named Kim

That one's my favorite. :)

post #97 of 110
I am not familiar with the stock market in the least, but I am curious: Is Apple among a select few of companies that continue to confound Wall Street, or is this type of mis-analyzing common? Or even to drive down stock prices to be an attractive buy, but with the inevitable upturn (I mean come on, it's Apple) so they can sell the stocks for a profit? Why does Apple continue to be misjudged?
post #98 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

I am not familiar with the stock market in the least, but I am curious: Is Apple among a select few of companies that continue to confound Wall Street, or is this type of mis-analyzing common? Or even to drive down stock prices to be an attractive buy, but with the inevitable upturn (I mean come on, it's Apple) so they can sell the stocks for a profit? Why does Apple continue to be misjudged?

All of the above.  And more.

post #99 of 110
Quote:

There was a contest on the Yahoo AAPL stock message board about a year ago to see who could write the funniest 'bad', as in bad-news-for-Apple headline.

Jony Ive sells 600,000 personal shares of AAPL after reading analyst consensus that Apple is doomed.
post #100 of 110

While I liked the upside surprise that Apple reported with earnings, for me, the best thing about listening to the CC was the confidence that I heard in Tim Cook. IMO, it was his best performance as Apple CEO to date. Always trying to read between the lines, I hope this new confidence is brought on not by just a good quarter, but what Apple has in store for the rest of the year. Listening to Cook this CC made me feel much more confident in what Apple has planned for the future.

post #101 of 110
Quote:

I love this guy, actually. He adds flavor. And reminds me of Time Cube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm impressed by all the sizes and colors. That takes dedication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Same here. His posts are utter insanity, not to mention 'colorful.'

I'm Not Sure If This is YOUR TASTE, but THIS is Definitely The " ORIGIN " and " ONSET " of Japanese Animations Produced in 1966 by " Studio ZERO " - The First " MANGA " Artists KickStarters Unit Combined Top " Manga " Artists Then in JAPAN whose Disciples ReaLly Have Made Japanese " Manga " Comics and Animations History which Have Succeeded to Date to Prevail NOW All Over The World.

If It Delights YOU, My Pleasure.

" Rainbow Troop( 戦隊 sentai ) ROBYN "

http://youtu.be/HgWeG6bDs4k

http://youtu.be/Bsp4ARNEMrg

post #102 of 110
8^)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #103 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If I exchange the $50 bill in your wallet with five $10 bills, does that make you poorer?

[When my daughter was 3, she would count her money coin by coin and declare "I have 7 moneys!"]

bad example, since currency has a fix value, it like going to store and the guy trying to convince you top pay a high value for something and calm is it a rear product and you can see right behind him that his store is pack to the ceiling with the product. In this case stock are like supply and demand the more supply you have the lower the value it has, then supply is low and demand is high the the value goes up.

Too many share of a stock is generally seen as diluting it value. It is pure economics. Also add in fact that apple was buying back shares, why, to reduce the total number of share their by increasing its value, they just undid what they been trying to do.

Also do not confuse value with price you pay. two different concepts.

post #104 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Despite all the rationality we profess too, that's perhaps the somewhat irrational, purely psychological beauty of stock splits: getting to $165 from $80 seems far more do-able than getting from $565 to $1160, doesn't it?

I have to agree with this, this has been my investment strategy for a long time, I rather buy a company which good fundamentals $10 and buy a 1000 share of it verse buy a similar company at $100/share and get a 100 share since a $10 value company will hit $20 faster then a $100 share going to $200. I made more money on the lower value stocks then I ever made on the more expensive stocks. The more expense stocks are controlled my a smaller select group of investors so you subject to their whims, also some large institutional investors are required to keep and hold stocks like apple depending on their public disclosed investment strategy so when you do an expensive stock it may not grow as it would have if it was a lower value.

But Apple having now 6B outstanding shares makes it too diluted so it may not increase in value as it might have otherwise/

post #105 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

bad example, since currency has a fix value, it like going to store and the guy trying to convince you top pay a high value for something and calm is it a rear product and you can see right behind him that his store is pack to the ceiling with the product. In this case stock are like supply and demand the more supply you have the lower the value it has, then supply is low and demand is high the the value goes up.

Too many share of a stock is generally seen as diluting it value. It is pure economics. Also add in fact that apple was buying back shares, why, to reduce the total number of share their by increasing its value, they just undid what they been trying to do.

Also do not confuse value with price you pay. two different concepts.

You are just embarrassing yourself.  Maybe take an introductory college course in economics first okay?  

post #106 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

You are just embarrassing yourself.  Maybe take an introductory college course in economics first okay?  

I was going to say, but you said it better than I could have. :)

post #107 of 110
Quote:

I'm hoping for $1000 ... and I mean after the stock split ... 1biggrin.gif

You may see it! You may also need some patience.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #108 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Shape-shifters are great at morphing news to suit their personal goals.

Just like the NY Times, which within an hour of the earnings report had posted an article headlined "Apple's Profit Climbs, but Cracks Are Showing" which was mostly gloom-and-doom and lots of FUD. I specifically remember a photo of an empty-looking Apple Store and a discussion of how the smartphone market in China was declining (with no mention whatsoever of Apple's strong performance in China).  Today I find the article has disappeared from the NY Times website, and has been morphed into a new article by the same author (Brian X. Chen), painting a rosier picture of Apple, and a variant headline "Apple's Profit Still Climbs, but Pressure is Growing". Must be that Chen's first version was advance-written, under the influence of the typical "analyst" FUD. But now, the "analysts" (aka, stock manipulators) are singing praise and pumping the stock up, so Chen revised his song.  I'm sure Constable Odo will find a contrarian melody of his own.

Well spotted! Just goes to show what a load of junk the news is these days - there's always a fucking agenda behind everything. I hate it so much. AI is not immune, but at least there are a lot fewer lies and deceit here than all the mainstream rags.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #109 of 110
Quote:

Apple to $1,000,000,000,000 by… June 2015, then? Anyone?

May 2015. I think they probably won't reach that high by then, but you're on!

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #110 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Nah: "APPLE Slashes dividend from $3.29 to $0.47 per share!"

Rather: GOOGLE $525 APPLE $75: GOOGLE Now Worth Seven Times Apple!

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Wall Street impressed by Apple's surprise second quarter, analysts see stock headed to new highs