or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Code discovered in iOS 7.1 offers further evidence Touch ID is coming to Apple's next iPads
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Code discovered in iOS 7.1 offers further evidence Touch ID is coming to Apple's next iPads

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
This year's anticipated iPad refresh is rumored to expand implementation of Apple's Touch ID fingerprint sensor beyond the iPhone, bringing it to the next iPad Air and iPad mini. Now, newly discovered code in the iOS mobile operating system offers further evidence in support of those claims.

Smart Cover


Poking around in code for the Touch ID framework in iOS 7.1, Twitter user and developer "UNiCORN" found a reference to Apple's iPad lineup, potentially suggesting that the next-generation iPad mini and iPad Air may sport the company's fingerprint scanning technology. Currently, Touch ID is only found in the iPhone 5s.

The code for Apple's "BiometricKit" refers to the "UIDeviceFamily" with two identifiers: The number "1" for the iPhone lineup, and the number "2" for iPad. The integers refer to the entire product lineups, so the code doesn't make any distinction between, for example, a future iPad Air or iPad mini.




Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities indicated earlier this month that Apple's 2014 iPad Air and iPad mini updates will both boast the Touch ID fingerprint sensor. He also sees both tablets being powered by next-generation custom "A8" processors built by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.

Kuo expects that the new tablets will debut either late in the third quarter or early in the fourth quarter of calendar 2014. He also expects a so-called "iPad Air 2" to feature an 8-megapixel rear facing camera.

Functionality of Touch ID also remains limited in its current state, only allowing users to securely unlock their iPhone or authorize iTunes purchases. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook has hinted that his company has big plans for Touch ID in the future, including the prospect of mobile payments on the iPhone.

Patent filings made by Apple also suggest that the fingerprint sensor could in the future enable multi-user support, by uniquely identifying a person -- a feature that could make it easier to share one iPad with a whole family. Touch ID is also capable of allowing for trackpad-like controls of a mouse cursor.
post #2 of 43
Common sense and intuition is all the code we needed to know this.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 43
Should've been in the last batch, hardly a surprise that it's coming in the new ones.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #4 of 43
No wonder iPad sales aren't growing like iPhones and Macs- once you have one why bother upgrading every year?
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Should've been in the last batch, hardly a surprise that it's coming in the new ones.
should've been in the last batch based on what? Do you work in Apple operations or something?
post #6 of 43

Let me tell you how surprised I am....

....

post #7 of 43
Somebody still needs to explain to me why Touch ID is a big deal. I have it on the iPhone 5S, don't have it on the iPad Air and certainly would not base any future purchase on whether or not a device had Touch ID. Is typing a passcode or password really so time-consuming?
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Somebody still needs to explain to me why Touch ID is a big deal. I have it on the iPhone 5S, don't have it on the iPad Air and certainly would not base any future purchase on whether or not a device had Touch ID. Is typing a passcode or password really so time-consuming?

Yep, and annoying

post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Should've been in the last batch, hardly a surprise that it's coming in the new ones.

No it shouldn't have.

 

The iPhone is a much bigger money maker, and thus deserves temporary exclusive features to drive sales. The "only way to get Siri" was iPhone for a while, just like the "only way to get TouchID" was iPhone.

 

Once it has matured, it will comes to iPad. The iPad, as good as it is, is a second class citizen to iPhone. This should be understood and appreciated.

 

(and none of what I just said even begins to take into account that Siri and TouchID are both far more useful on iPhone)

post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Common sense and intuition is all the code we needed to know this.

That is what I thought. As soon as Touch ID was even rumored on the iPhone 5s anyone with sense knew it was coming to iPads as soon as Apple could make it happen. No code needed just good old common sense. 

post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Somebody still needs to explain to me why Touch ID is a big deal. I have it on the iPhone 5S, don't have it on the iPad Air and certainly would not base any future purchase on whether or not a device had Touch ID. Is typing a passcode or password really so time-consuming?

Doesn't sound like any amount of explaining can break through this wall of pointless resistance.

 

It doesn't take much for most people to understand how great it is to still password protect your phone, but not have to enter it 100 x a day. Its simple and elegant...pick up the phone, wake it up with your thumb on the home button, and thats long enough for it to register your print and bring you in.

 

Plus, it is pretty frigging cool.

post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

That is what I thought. As soon as Touch ID was even rumored on the iPhone 5s anyone with sense knew it was coming to iPads as soon as Apple wanted to make it happen. No code needed just good old common sense. 

Fixed that for you.

post #13 of 43

While less of a security risk than my iPhone which goes everywhere with me, my mostly stay-at-home iPad is used for more sensitive things like financials so a bit more convenient security, as I've found Touch ID to be with my 5s, would be attractive.

post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No it shouldn't have.

The iPhone is a much bigger money maker, and thus deserves temporary exclusive features to drive sales. The "only way to get Siri" was iPhone for a while, just like the "only way to get TouchID" was iPhone.

Once it has matured, it will comes to iPad. The iPad, as good as it is, is a second class citizen to iPhone. This should be understood and appreciated.

(and none of what I just said even begins to take into account that Siri and TouchID are both far more useful on iPhone)
Yeah because I'm sure Apple has tens of millions of touch id sensors sitting around but decided to not use them on the iPad because it's a second class citizen. How does Touch ID being on the iPad take away from iPhone sales? To me they're completely separate products. I still think the 5S was Apple's testing ground for Touch ID and when it makes it's way to iPad it will be for more than just unlocking the device or making iTunes purchases.
post #15 of 43
Despite this being floated by Kuo, if true I'll buy a new iPad to replace my 3rd gen.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Somebody still needs to explain to me why Touch ID is a big deal. I have it on the iPhone 5S, don't have it on the iPad Air and certainly would not base any future purchase on whether or not a device had Touch ID. Is typing a passcode or password really so time-consuming?

 

Perhaps I can suggest one reason. We try to limit our Son's use of our iPad by not giving him the pass code but even through we try to stop showing him the code he still works it out by watching us as we log on. I know we could always log on out out of eyesight but having a finger sensor would better. I can't understand why Touch ID was not included with the iPad Air. As soon as it does, then I am upgrading by replaving my existing 16 Gb iPad to one with more memory.  

post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Should've been in the last batch, hardly a surprise that it's coming in the new ones.

 

No, it shouldn't have been - for a large multitude of reasons, if you actually took more than half a second to consider it. Among other things, it would be very irresponsible to add such a major new feature, which needs shitloads of testing, with security and reliability implications, to multiple product lines at once. If there IS a major issue, they just fucked over both the iPhone and the iPad.

 

A second reason is complexity of manufacture and availability of components- you have no idea if they would have been able to manufacture and integrate that many Touch ID components, to satisfy iPhone and iPad lines.

 

Thirdly- marketing. Having the feature on both the iPhone/iPad dilutes focus and marketing of the feature itself. iPhone is obviously the priority for such a feature, in terms of usefulness. Touch ID has now been tested with tens of millions of people, in millions of use case scenarios, and Apple can now take this data and make sure the implementation is the best it can possibly be on the iPad. The feature has gotten significantly more reliable simply through software updates.

 

Only someone who's single thought is I WANT IT NOW DAMN ALL CONSEQUENCES would hold the view you do. A rational human being would see that your "should have" demand is childish, short-sighted, and just plain wrong. 

post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

No, it shouldn't have been - for a large multitude of reasons, if you actually took more than half a second to consider it. Among other things, it would be very irresponsible to add such a major new feature, which needs shitloads of testing, with security and reliability implications, to multiple product lines at once. If there IS a major issue, they just fucked over both the iPhone and the iPad.

A second reason is complexity of manufacture and availability of components- you have no idea if they would have been able to manufacture and integrate that many Touch ID components, to satisfy iPhone and iPad lines.

Thirdly- marketing. Having the feature on both the iPhone/iPad dilutes focus and marketing of the feature itself. iPhone is obviously the priority for such a feature, in terms of usefulness. Touch ID has now been tested with tens of millions of people, in millions of use case scenarios, and Apple can now take this data and make sure the implementation is the best it can possibly be on the iPad. The feature has gotten significantly more reliable simply through software updates.

Only someone who's single thought is I WANT IT NOW DAMN ALL CONSEQUENCES would hold the view you do. A rational human being would see that your "should have" demand is childish, short-sighted, and just plain wrong. 
Bingo.
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Somebody still needs to explain to me why Touch ID is a big deal. I have it on the iPhone 5S, don't have it on the iPad Air and certainly would not base any future purchase on whether or not a device had Touch ID. Is typing a passcode or password really so time-consuming?

 

Is that rhetorical?  Are you seriously arguing that Touch ID makes it too convenient??  Entering even a 4 digit passcode every time to use a phone is the reason tons of people don't use even that minimal level of security.  Touch ID makes securing your device very convenient.

 

Also, entering your passcode/password onscreen is a security issue that Touch ID solves.  Someone just has to watch you unlock the phone once and they can now access it.

 

And if that doesn't convince you then just go stand in the corner with all the people writing down their passwords on sticky notes stuck to a monitor.

post #20 of 43

Let's not confuse "it being possible for Apple to add Touch ID to the previous iPad" and "Apple purposely leaving it out to give them an easy upgrade for the next gen iPad".

They do it all the time, it's good for the bank balance.

post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachar View Post
 

 

Perhaps I can suggest one reason. We try to limit our Son's use of our iPad by not giving him the pass code but even through we try to stop showing him the code he still works it out by watching us as we log on. I know we could always log on out out of eyesight but having a finger sensor would better. I can't understand why Touch ID was not included with the iPad Air. As soon as it does, then I am upgrading by replaving my existing 16 Gb iPad to one with more memory.  

You know what? That is by far one of the best reasons I've seen. Unlike people simply whining about having to type a password because their attention spans are so short. Thanks. 

post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Somebody still needs to explain to me why Touch ID is a big deal. I have it on the iPhone 5S, don't have it on the iPad Air and certainly would not base any future purchase on whether or not a device had Touch ID. Is typing a passcode or password really so time-consuming?

*** crickets singing ***

I have no idea. But I hear positive things about TouchID on the iPhone 5s.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

You know what? That is by far one of the best reasons I've seen. Unlike people simply whining about having to type a password because their attention spans are so short. Thanks. 

It is even faster to get to your home screen with Touch ID than swipe to unlock with no passcode: just click and release while keeping your thumb on the home button. I pull my phone out a lot, and it is a noticeable pleasure to not need to enter the code every time, but throw in that it's faster than swiping to unlock with no passcode, it makes setting up a secure device a no brainier. Also, as the poster above noted, my daughter hacked my code by watching me when she was four.
post #24 of 43
I was due to upgrade my old iPad, but disappointed that the Air didn't have iTouch or more memory (not RAM, but working memory - should be 2Gb or more). iTouch is one of those "only at Apple" things that just makes life so much easier. I use a long (greater than four digit) security code, so it makes my life much easier.

I am confident that this update will continue to increase iPad sales, and I expect a refresh well before the fall. I'll be in line for one when it arrives...
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

No, it shouldn't have been - for a large multitude of reasons, if you actually took more than half a second to consider it. Among other things, it would be very irresponsible to add such a major new feature, which needs shitloads of testing, with security and reliability implications, to multiple product lines at once. If there IS a major issue, they just fucked over both the iPhone and the iPad.

A second reason is complexity of manufacture and availability of components- you have no idea if they would have been able to manufacture and integrate that many Touch ID components, to satisfy iPhone and iPad lines.

Thirdly- marketing. Having the feature on both the iPhone/iPad dilutes focus and marketing of the feature itself. iPhone is obviously the priority for such a feature, in terms of usefulness. Touch ID has now been tested with tens of millions of people, in millions of use case scenarios, and Apple can now take this data and make sure the implementation is the best it can possibly be on the iPad. The feature has gotten significantly more reliable simply through software updates.

Only someone who's single thought is I WANT IT NOW DAMN ALL CONSEQUENCES would hold the view you do. A rational human being would see that your "should have" demand is childish, short-sighted, and just plain wrong. 
It was left out to ensure that they had a Big Bang feature to convince people to upgrade when the new iPad comes out.

The iPhone 5s had been out for enough time for any serious bugs to be encountered and squashed.

Remember that the iPad refresh was in November.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #26 of 43
Since when is a .plist was considered "code"?
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It was left out to ensure that they had a Big Bang feature to convince people to upgrade when the new iPad comes out.
 

 

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #28 of 43

That's great, but it's only half the equation, iPads still need user profiles for Touch ID to be a real home run feature.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #29 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post
 

You know what? That is by far one of the best reasons I've seen. Unlike people simply whining about having to type a password because their attention spans are so short. Thanks. 

What do a short attention span have to do with it? It's a necessary evil to have a password on your phone and not only is touch ID more secure, but it's faster and easier. Congrats on being the first person to complain about that combo.

post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Somebody still needs to explain to me why Touch ID is a big deal. I have it on the iPhone 5S, don't have it on the iPad Air and certainly would not base any future purchase on whether or not a device had Touch ID. Is typing a passcode or password really so time-consuming?

The time/effort can add up I expect, especially for those who, like me, have auto-lock set to the minimum interval to max the power savings by keeping the screen dark as much as possible.

 

For those who set their auto-lock on 5 minutes or never, perhaps less so.

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Yeah because I'm sure Apple has tens of millions of touch id sensors sitting around but decided to not use them on the iPad because it's a second class citizen. How does Touch ID being on the iPad take away from iPhone sales? To me they're completely separate products. I still think the 5S was Apple's testing ground for Touch ID and when it makes it's way to iPad it will be for more than just unlocking the device or making iTunes purchases.

????

 

Do you really think that's how it works? Do you really think something so trivial and 'making enough TouchID sensors' is what dictates Apple's product strategy? Give me a break. If Apple wanted 10 million TouchID sensors, they would have made 10 million.

post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Somebody still needs to explain to me why Touch ID is a big deal. I have it on the iPhone 5S, don't have it on the iPad Air and certainly would not base any future purchase on whether or not a device had Touch ID. Is typing a passcode or password really so time-consuming?

Don't forget, Touch ID is still in it's infant stages. I imagine Apple will open the API up to 3rd parties at some point. Imagine never having to type ANY password ever again.
post #33 of 43
Get a move on Apple. They could have linked Touch ID to a keychain that entered all of your online passwords last year. Limiting the functionality to device unlock and iTunes purchases, and omitting it from the retina iPad mini, were the main reason I decided to forgoe upgrading both my iOS devices last year.
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

????

Do you really think that's how it works? Do you really think something so trivial and 'making enough TouchID sensors' is what dictates Apple's product strategy? Give me a break. If Apple wanted 10 million TouchID sensors, they would have made 10 million.
Because Apple have never been supply constrained in anything, ever.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #35 of 43
Mmm, Let's see ...

New iPads with 64-bit CPUs, robust security, theft deterrent, more RAM, potentially larger screens and larger SSDs ...

Who could be interested in that? Possibly the 95% of Fortune 500 companies that are deploying and writing apps for iPads ...

Ya' think?

Not to mention hospitals, education, military, government, creatives ...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

Since when is a .plist was considered "code"?

A plist is XML -- like HTML, it is parsed (and rendered) and is usually considered code.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #37 of 43
false -- AI forum screw up on a post from an iPad.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Because Apple have never been supply constrained in anything, ever.

Kuo was saying at the time that the 5s was going to be in short supply because of the sensor, the sapphire, or both. What feeble memories people have.
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It was left out to ensure that they had a Big Bang feature to convince people to upgrade when the new iPad comes out.

The iPhone 5s had been out for enough time for any serious bugs to be encountered and squashed.

Remember that the iPad refresh was in November.

Just because you would think of petty nickel and diming of your customers doesn't mean Apple would.

Also, you forget how short the time between Apple's acquiring the technology and their rolling it out. And you forget that the 5s was said to be constrained because of the Touch ID, by Kuo. You want to argue with a supply reporter based in Taiwan, go ahead.
post #40 of 43
Wish I hadn't bought iPad Air few weeks ago.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Code discovered in iOS 7.1 offers further evidence Touch ID is coming to Apple's next iPads
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Code discovered in iOS 7.1 offers further evidence Touch ID is coming to Apple's next iPads