or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Questionable 'iPhone 6' render claims Apple's next handset will be 33% thinner

Questionable 'iPhone 6' render claims Apple's next handset will be 33% thinner

post #1 of 83
A dodgy set of renderings sourced from Eastern Europe on Friday purport to show Apple's next-generation iPhone with a chassis designed to hold a 4.7-inch display in an ultra-thin 6 millimeter cross-section.

An iPhone with rounded edges and a 67-millimeter-by-138-millimeter footprint is depicted in the shots, which also match previous rumors by placing the power button on the device's right side. The renderings were sourced by Ukranian blog UkrainianiPhone and first noticed by Nowhereelse.fr.

A z-height of 6 millimeters would make the handset 1.6 millimeters slimmer than the already-svelte iPhone 5 series, an impressive accomplishment. The current-generation iPod touch slots in at 6.1 millimeters thick.

The rumor follows a report from earlier this week saying that Apple was having trouble manufacturing batteries thin enough for their new device, though that note was in the context of a larger handset that would sport a 5.5-inch display. No such rumors followed the 4.7-inch variant, and it would be difficult to argue that Apple would make the larger device even thinner than 6 millimeters.

One factor working against the renders' authenticity is the lack of a cutout for Apple's dual-LED TrueTone flash, a problem that has plagued many schematic "leaks" of the iPhone 6. TrueTone is a flagship feature for Apple's iPhone 5s, and it is extremely unlikely that the company would drop it a single generation later.
post #2 of 83
Could the TrueTone dual flash be dropped to save on manufacturing costs? The dual flash would still be available on the "legacy" 5s model.
post #3 of 83
And here what it might look in reality. A little too big for me. But nice. I've got a feeling the bezels will indeed be like that. Looks different, recognizable, and good.

post #4 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuello del pollo View Post

Could the TrueTone dual flash be dropped to save on manufacturing costs? The dual flash would still be available on the "legacy" 5s model.

I think that's very unlikely!

Wow on AI since 2004 and only 22 comments? 1smile.gif
post #5 of 83
Quote:

So, you'd like Apple to drop a 1 cent LED that increases the quality of photographs.

Why?

Do you really need to save 1 cent?

post #6 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One factor working against the renders' authenticity is the lack of a cutout for Apple's dual-LED TrueTone flash, a problem that has plagued many schematic "leaks" of the iPhone 6. TrueTone is a flagship feature for Apple's iPhone 5s, and it is extremely unlikely that the company would drop it a single generation later.

Separate R, G, and B elements can be fit into a single SMD LED, so it seems possible to create a single LED with two elements.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

post #7 of 83
1.6/7.6 = 21%
post #8 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

Separate R, G, and B elements can be fit into a single SMD LED, so it seems possible to create a single LED with two elements.

This. TrueTone is a relative godsend on the 5s and it would make no sense to drop it, so some sort of smaller evolution of the dual-LED flash seems likely. What isn't clear is why this wasn't done in the first place...
post #9 of 83

I'm thinking they are grouping the two flash tones in one circle. Maybe a bullseye? one color in the center and other around it? Or possibly intermixed leds?

post #10 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsethunder View Post

This. TrueTone is a relative godsend on the 5s and it would make no sense to drop it, so some sort of smaller evolution of the dual-LED flash seems likely. What isn't clear is why this wasn't done in the first place...

The hole is bigger. Maybe they could fit both in that round shape.
post #11 of 83

If the iPhone is anything close to what the leaks look like I know that I'll be getting 3. I'm going to upgrade my family to this model. It only makes sense for them to go to a design similar to the iPad. 

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

post #12 of 83
Hell Yes this is what I an wondering...

iPhone 6 = 6 mm ?

Or at least 6,66 mm 1biggrin.gif

There wont be any other oportunity for such equation as iPhone 7 will be even thinner, but the model number will be higher.
post #13 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujones1 View Post

If the iPhone is anything close to what the leaks look like I know that I'll be getting 3. I'm going to upgrade my family to this model. It only makes sense for them to go to a design similar to the iPad. 

That's not similar to the iPad. The bezels are completely original.
post #14 of 83
Introducing... the iPhoneAir. ;-)
post #15 of 83
About the TrueTone flash. Maybe they're incorporating it into software instead, allowing the camera intelligent white balance capability that knows when a more pleasant warm light balance will enhance a low light photo, without the need for using anything more than a standard LED flash.

I've also noticed on most of these leaked illustrations of the iPhone 6 lately, that the next-gen model seems to be dumping the chamfered edge. Which is a shame, if that's the case because I think it gave the iPhone a real quality classy look.
post #16 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

And here what it might look in reality. A little too big for me. But nice. I've got a feeling the bezels will indeed be like that. Looks different, recognizable, and good.

That looks like a Galaxy S.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #17 of 83
I will be getting 2. My eyes can't stand the small screen, and my wife has already broken her phone by letting the kids dip into the olive oil at the restaurant. I think demand for a big iPhone will be off the charts. We have all been waiting for a phone that is easier to use. This will help a lot with missed key punches and less headaches from reading small print.
post #18 of 83

Honestly, who's surprised? Were you expecting this?

"The...wait for it... magical  new iPhone 6 is 79% thicker than the previous iPhone and ways exactly 42 pounds, making it the perfect size for Arnold Schwarzenegger."

post #19 of 83
I would rather Apple keep the same "thickness" as the current generation iPhones, but with 2 day battery life.
post #20 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

I would rather Apple keep the same "thickness" as the current generation iPhones, but with 2 day battery life.

Most people would... however Apple isn't just a software company, they are a hardware company who's engineering team takes deep pride in making things slimmer; truth be known making things slimmer as an engineer is something to take pride in and is a feat in engineering however from the customer perspective we don't care or necessarily want it. Apple has an arrogance within their engineering because honestly they do have some of the top engineers in the world; this arrogance often leads them to ignoring what might be best for the customer just so they as a company has bragging rights... it's been shown time and time again. This will be no different.

Yup, slimmer and taller, just what people want... a phone that looks like an elongated clown shoe.

post #21 of 83
Quote:

No matter what.............. I'm still getting 3. I'm upgrading all my Apple stuff this year. 4.7 and/or 5.5, iPad Air bezel or not I'm going to have it.

post #22 of 83

Improbable.

The iPhone uses a 3.5mm audio jack. That would really leave 1.25mm on each side which would be the glass or case. Or course, they could switch to a different plug, like a 2.5mm jack.

Also, a thinner case would likely degrade audio performance from the speaker.

I call B.S. on this rumor.

post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

Yeah, totally my first thought too.

Not that this visionary thinking automatically gives authenticity to these pictures, but just saying...

It's nice that they get thinner and lighter etc… but currently, I think battery life is the biggest drawback of the iPhones. They're showing people in all the ads in these wild lifestyle situations, filming, taking pictures, facetiming, navigating in the wilderness, sleeping on the wall of a cliff etc. The truth is you absolutely have to have a complete recharge every day if you're an active user like they're advertising. I'm pretty sure making the battery thinner isn't gonna help. Battery tech needs to be 10 times more efficient, and to embrace some sort of solar charging or something. Sorry.. off topic. Anyways, I'm so ready for new iPhones. It's been awfully similar for a lot of years, hasn't it?

post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Improbable.

The iPhone uses a 3.5mm audio jack. That would really leave 1.25mm on each side which would be the glass or case. Or course, they could switch to a different plug, like a 2.5mm jack.

Not necessarily. 

http://www.cultofmac.com/85736/apple-patents-ways-to-make-an-ipod-thinner-than-a-headphone-jack/

post #25 of 83
Quote:

Improbable.

They could probably change to lightning port audio anytime they want... But yeah, it's probably B.S. :)

post #26 of 83

The curved back may compensate for the bigger size - otherwise it's just too difficult to hold and use.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #27 of 83

The more pictures we see, the more they prove it’s not usable with one hand.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All the while, the Moto X definitely IS usable with one hand and even smaller handed people with 1 hand because their design isn't ridiculously elongated. Apple is essentially going to market this as the first large screen phone usable with one hand and that they are the first manufacturer thoughtful enough to make a large screen phone usable with one hands, while actually making it less usable with one hand than many Android phones that are already out. Meh

post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

So, you'd like Apple to drop a 1 cent LED that increases the quality of photographs.

Why?

Do you really need to save 1 cent?

I sure would like to save 473,000. 

47.3Million * .01 = 473,000. Every cent counts. 

post #30 of 83
Originally Posted by itpromike View Post
All the while, the Moto X definitely IS usable with one hand and even smaller handed people with 1 hand because their design isn't ridiculously elongated. 

No, it’s the same ratio. Lower resolution, but the screen would be the same shape.

post #31 of 83
33% thinner!?!? Wow.. If true that is mind boggling thin.
post #32 of 83
If this is true- it's likely the iPod touch based on the speaker location at the bottom. It'd also be .1mm thinner- which seems more probable.

They can't even get the camera lens in the 6.1mm touch without it protruding out the back. I love that design, but they likely won't consider that on the phone.

Again- everyone is so phone crazy they forget this year we'll see a touch upgrade (maybe the last)

Of course- the likelihood of this being authentic is laughable.
Edited by Andysol - 4/25/14 at 1:36pm

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #33 of 83
Quote:

No, it’s the same ratio. Lower resolution, but the screen would be the same shape.

Yes the screen size is the same but the body is not... It will be longer and much more odd looking because of it. Not only more odd looking (like a long clown shoe), but also if the bezel for the home button remains the same it will be less manageable with one hand because the length of the screen you would have to traverse added with the bottom of the bezel where the phone would rest in your hand. Additionally at the lower resolution it still impacts customer experience. None of Apples content on iTunes is at the crazy non-standard resolutions they insist on using time and time again; they are industry standard resolutions like 1080P. There are standard for a bloody reason. Because Apple ignores this, this leaves iOS customers with having huge black bars on the top and bottom of their viewing experience... You could then double tap to blow up the video but that would mean you would be missing what's going on in the scene on the sides... It's just a bad customer experience and makes it even worse that in a sense your competition is using standard resolutions for their flagship devices that are 'more compatible' with the content you sell than your own bloody devices.

Edited by itpromike - 4/25/14 at 1:49pm
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I will be getting 2. My eyes can't stand the small screen, and my wife has already broken her phone by letting the kids dip into the olive oil at the restaurant. I think demand for a big iPhone will be off the charts. We have all been waiting for a phone that is easier to use. This will help a lot with missed key punches and less headaches from reading small print.

Except for the status bar, from the looks of it.
Quote:

How true.

iPhone 6
It's the phone always (thought) you wanted.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #35 of 83
Quote:

Not likely...although, just because it's not a "pill" shaped design doesn't mean it can't be a "true tone" dual flash.

It could be a circle cut in half with an amber on bottom and regular flash on top.

The pill shaped design doesn't go with the aesthetic of everything else on the phone.

You got a circular home button… Circular front facing camera… circular Back facing camera.

I can see Johnny Ive insisting on a circular cutout for the true tone.
post #36 of 83
If you look closely at the leaked schematic, the word "flash" is linked to 2 locations,

One is the traditional location,

The other is a ring around the camera.

Which is insanely exciting, and equally dubious..
post #37 of 83
Originally Posted by itpromike View Post
Yes the screen size is the same but the body is not... It will be longer and much more odd looking because of it.

I don’t know about that. The Moto X’s bezels don’t appear to be very much smaller, if at all.

Not only more odd looking (like a long clown shoe)

So what do you call home telephones? :rolleyes:

None of Apples content on iTunes is at the crazy non-standard resolutions they insist on using time and time again; they are industry standard resolutions like 1080P.

So you’d prefer Apple use a LOWER resolution screen, despite the content fitting perfectly? Great¡ :rolleyes: 

There are standard for a bloody reason.

And, uh… what’s the reason? Remember: content creators couldn’t care less about the standard for half of what they put out.

Because Apple ignores this, this leaves iOS customers with having huge black bars on the top and bottom of their viewing experience...

So you’re whining about how tall the iPhone is while simultaneously whining about how you want the screen to be even TALLER (2.39:1)?!

post #38 of 83
Quote:

Improbable.

You're wrong, sorry to say. This matches everything we've seen, and some well connected sources. 

post #39 of 83
Quote:

Not usable with one thumb. Which is honestly not how I use my iPhone now, 90% of the time.

post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not usable with one thumb. Which is honestly not how I use my iPhone now, 90% of the time.

It's plenty usable with one thumb for what I use my thumb for. Scrolling. Occasional hitting buttons.

To type this I, like most people, am using two hands - one to hold, the other to type.

I am sure the 4" will stay for the begrudgers.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Questionable 'iPhone 6' render claims Apple's next handset will be 33% thinner
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Questionable 'iPhone 6' render claims Apple's next handset will be 33% thinner