or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rolls out iPhone 5 sleep/wake button replacement program in U.S. and Canada

Apple rolls out iPhone 5 sleep/wake button replacement program in U.S. and Canada

post #1 of 45
Apple on Friday launched a replacement program for faulty iPhone 5 sleep/wake buttons after finding a "small percentage" of units manufactured before March 2013 include parts that may stop working.

iPhone 5

As noted by Apple, the new program covers possibly defective iPhone 5 models produced through March 2013 The dedicated website was first spotted by The Loop.

According to the program's informational webpage, Apple said it "has determined that the sleep/wake button mechanism on a small percentage of iPhone 5 models may stop working or work intermittently."

Customers with iPhones exhibiting the described behavior, and who have a qualifying serial number, can have the component replaced free of charge. Apple has also provided a quick serial number verification tool on its website to check for preliminary program eligibility.

Replacements, which take about four to six days after receipt, are conducted at an Apple Repair Center and owners can bring in their phone personally or send it through the mail. Apple notes that all units will be examined for eligibility prior to repair, including whether the handset is in working condition. Cracked screens and other damage that may impair sleep/wake button replacement will need to be fixed before installing the new part, which comes out of the customer's pocket.

While their handset is being services, eligible customers may request an iPhone 5 loaner model (16GB only) from participating Apple Stores and Authorized Service Providers.

Apple faced a similar issue in 2013 when the company was taken to court over allegedly faulty wake/sleep button flex cables on the iPhone 4.
post #2 of 45
the button works fine for me. just saying.
post #3 of 45

I bought my iPhone 5 in December of 2012, and I noticed the button always seemed weak. My mom now has it, so I'll have to see if she's willing to send it in for this service. 

post #4 of 45
I got a 5 the day it came out. A month ago I Had to have the sleep/wake button replaced. I called Apple and they said it was out of warranty and id have to pay a few hundred. I am an hour away from the closest apple store. So I went to the local phone repair guy and he did it $65
Do I have a legit complaint here? All I want is some iTunes credit. This apple memo is more or less admitting fault ifs the button which have been there for 16 months
post #5 of 45
I had my iPhone 5 replaced around June of last year because of just that issue. I'm glad they've instituted a replacement program, because I've been scared to death of my replacement iPhone 5 going bad now that it's no longer under warranty.

Kudos to Apple!
post #6 of 45
Apple guy on the phone basically said I was SOL because I didn't drive over 70 miles and pay $250 , which I didn't have at the time to fix a problem that the local guys fix. All I asked for was iTunes credit. He said. 'No' what should I do now. Any reasonable person would do what I had done vs driving 70 miles and paying $250
post #7 of 45
Awesome. I thought it was my fault! My sleep/wake button has been nearly non-functional for months. Good info.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

Apple guy on the phone basically said I was SOL because I didn't drive over 70 miles and pay $250 , which I didn't have at the time to fix a problem that the local guys fix. All I asked for was iTunes credit. He said. 'No' what should I do now. Any reasonable person would do what I had done vs driving 70 miles and paying $250

Ask someone else! I believe Apple has sometimes in the past instituted a reimbursement for already-done repairs--as an official policy, not a special request for one person. Maybe such a policy will emerge; if not, maybe someone else can make an exception for you.

I'd have made the same choice as you: pay $65, not $250!

The problem might be if the provider you went to was not Apple-authorized. You can probably check and see if he's listed at http://locate.apple.com

post #9 of 45
He's not authorized. No one around me are.
post #10 of 45
Quote:

I got a 5 the day it came out. A month ago I Had to have the sleep/wake button replaced. I called Apple and they said it was out of warranty and id have to pay a few hundred. I am an hour away from the closest apple store. So I went to the local phone repair guy and he did it $65
Do I have a legit complaint here? All I want is some iTunes credit. This apple memo is more or less admitting fault ifs the button which have been there for 16 months

"If you believe you have paid for a replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund."

https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

Edited by SpamSandwich - 4/25/14 at 3:52pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 45
My dad had an iPhone 5 with a bad sleep/wake button and a bad battery. Glad Apple's acknowledging the problem.
post #12 of 45
Yes. Mine is starting to really not working as specially in the cold mornings
post #13 of 45
Weirdly I'd just started thinking in the last couple of days that my sleep wake button didn't seem quite as responsive as it should be - just checked on the web site and my serial number is eligible so I guess a trip to my local apple store is in my near future.

Also the article only mentions US and Canada but the program page has a country drop down and worked fine for me here in the UK.
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Also the article only mentions US and Canada but the program page has a country drop down and worked fine for me here in the UK.

Good! I was getting 1mad.gif wondering how come it was only US and Canada customers being treated fairly.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #15 of 45

Mine's got this issue. Glad they've acknowledged this is an inherent problem before I paid for it to be fixed myself. Downside though, guess I'm going to have to wipe out my jailbreak, thereby losing my tethering capability. Bummer.

post #16 of 45

I got my iPhone5 when it first came out.  I had mine replaced October of last year for exactly that problem.  I figured there was something up because the (very helpful) assistant took my phone after my pushing the button once and immediately replaced it with another one.  It's almost like they knew the phones were going to start coming in with bad buttons.

Nonetheless, unlike the other players in the game... I buy Apple not only because I think they make the best-quality products, but because they also stand by their products if-and-when they don't quite live up to their expectations.  That's called "service".

post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

My dad had an iPhone 5 with a bad sleep/wake button and a bad battery. Glad Apple's acknowledging the problem.

I had the exact same issues! Must have been a bad batch.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Weirdly I'd just started thinking in the last couple of days that my sleep wake button didn't seem quite as responsive as it should be - just checked on the web site and my serial number is eligible so I guess a trip to my local apple store is in my near future.

Brill! In UK, it's available from 2nd May. I’ll be in first thing. My phone is eligible.

Last autumn, it got worst over a few weeks, then pretty well stopped working. I can get it to work with great difficulty, but it takes an alignment of the stars. Apple replaced my faulty battery for free, but I had to wait for this fix.

For any of you with temperamental sleep buttons, your saviour lies at Settings:General:Accessibility:Accessibility Shortcut. It's the last option in Accessibility. Have it set to AssistiveTouch, then you can triple click the Home button to lock the screen. If you hold down your finger on lock, you can switch the phone off completely. Bear in mind, you may struggle to turn it on! Plugging it in will turn it back on, of course. You can also take a screenshot from the options here. The one thing I don't think you can do is a hard reset where you hold down the sleep and Home buttons together.

It's a big deal that Apple are providing this service, as when it comes to selling the phone, there will be a large difference in price between a fully functioning iPhone and one with a non-working Sleep button. Thanks, Apple.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #19 of 45
Quote:

Had you not had that repair done you would be fine. But you did so you just screwed yourself. Repairs by third party shops, even for things apple doesn't do, voids all rights to service by Apple, paid or not.

That said it is high time apple makes that button repairable, same with the volume buttons. And everything on the iPad and iPod touch

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #20 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Ask someone else! I believe Apple has sometimes in the past instituted a reimbursement for already-done repairs--as an official policy, not a special request for one person. Maybe such a policy will emerge; if not, maybe someone else can make an exception for you.

Legit repairs yes. If he had paid the $250 or whatever it was he could likely get is money back from Apple. But he violated the service terms agreed to when he bought the phone and had it serviced by a non authorized third party. So no Apple isn't going to pay him back for that repair or touch that phone again if they can track that issue (like if they got his serial)

post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Had you not had that repair done you would be fine. But you did so you just screwed yourself. Repairs by third party shops, even for things apple doesn't do, voids all rights to service by Apple, paid or not.

That said it is high time apple makes that button repairable, same with the volume buttons. And everything on the iPad and iPod touch

He should inquire anyway. Apple sometimes bends the rules under exigent circumstances. In this case, the need for repair was caused by Apple's manufacturing/part defect, and it happened under warranty. Ask Apple, what's the worst that could happen?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 45
About two months ago now, Apple replaced mine with new phone when they saw the button wasn't working. It was out of warrantee. Bondi store.
post #23 of 45
Had the same problem, glad mine was replaced last October for a lighting connecter issue now for that reason also.
post #24 of 45
I was given an Android RAZR for work. My iphone is fine, wish the droid button would work lol. When will the DoD authorize BYOD???
post #25 of 45
As @Benjamin Frost writes, there are other ways to turning the phone off. Although I do think you won't be able to take a screenshot with a wonky or non functional sleep/wake button.

I got the 5 when it came out, here in NL in October, and got the button fail on me, just on occasion, after 11 months old. I told the Genius I didn't think it was a major problem as it only failed if I didn't press it straight down (it failed when I pressed the button while picking it up causing me to press it under an angle). Yet he gave me a new phone, saying it should simply work.

I think I can tick this off under "one of the reasons our customer satisfaction is the highest in the industry".
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDark View Post

Mine's got this issue. Glad they've acknowledged this is an inherent problem before I paid for it to be fixed myself. Downside though, guess I'm going to have to wipe out my jailbreak, thereby losing my tethering capability. Bummer.

I'm delighted that you'll be losing your tethering capability due to jailbreak. Ideally, all jailbreakers will lose the ability to tether due to this issue.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

As @Benjamin Frost writes, there are other ways to turning the phone off. Although I do think you won't be able to take a screenshot with a wonky or non functional sleep/wake button.

I got the 5 when it came out, here in NL in October, and got the button fail on me, just on occasion, after 11 months old. I told the Genius I didn't think it was a major problem as it only failed if I didn't press it straight down (it failed when I pressed the button while picking it up causing me to press it under an angle). Yet he gave me a new phone, saying it should simply work.

I think I can tick this off under "one of the reasons our customer satisfaction is the highest in the industry".

Exemplary service from Apple there.

You can take a screenshot with a non-working sleep button, believe me! I've done it. It's one of the options in AssistiveTouch. There are all sorts of weird and wonderful things you can do with it—shows Apple's care for the disabled.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Exemplary service from Apple there.

You can take a screenshot with a non-working sleep button, believe me! I've done it. It's one of the options in AssistiveTouch. There are all sorts of weird and wonderful things you can do with it—shows Apple's care for the disabled.

I didn't know that would still be possible. And yes, the accessibility options are vast. I'm amazed at how good the Dutch voice overs are, in spite of not supporting the language as a speakable item.
post #29 of 45
Quote:

About 5 months ago my button stopped working and I paid 270 dollars to get a replacement. I called a local apple store and they directed me to the recall web page and assured me that it could track back to the original phone but when I entered it, it said I did not qualify. A second call to them to track down that serial just to be sure eventually got me to someone who looked it up and got the refund process going. The whole thing just started so I would suggest that if your local apple store won't help, look up the number for a different one and call them.
post #30 of 45
Quote:

Thanks for info about the angle push ... but now I have Techno-Paranoia ... like every other iPhone 5 owner who never noticed a problem I will have to go and see if I can induce one ... 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I'm delighted that you'll be losing your tethering capability due to jailbreak. Ideally, all jailbreakers will lose the ability to tether due to this issue.

Why? What's it to you? You don't even know the circumstances.

Clue: Google 'Giffgaff tethering iPhone'

post #32 of 45
Quote:

As @Benjamin Frost writes, there are other ways to turning the phone off. 

Maybe Samsung can patent a way to turn your phone off without pressing any buttons by winking at it in Morse Code. They can add it to the dog pile of "desperate innovation" features on the Galaxy S6.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 45
I think this is just as much about upgrading more devices to the newest iOS than fixing the sleep/wake button. They're fixing a hardware problem why would they mandate they upgrade your OS. It's a win win for Apple, they get a happy customer and improve their iOS statistics. Genius
post #34 of 45
This makes me angry. I fought for months to get them to finally replace my phone and stop telling me I was crazy and pushing the button wrong! 😡
post #35 of 45

For those of you saying your iPhone 5 sleep/wake button works just fine: Good for you. Also: Don't care.

There's a problem and it isn't the first time Apple has experienced problems. But they are doing something about it.

post #36 of 45
My dad had complained about my old 5 I have him when I upgraded to the 5S. I never had a problem with it. Seems he's right- he qualified- sorry for doubting you pop. Hah

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Legit repairs yes. If he had paid the $250 or whatever it was he could likely get is money back from Apple. But he violated the service terms agreed to when he bought the phone and had it serviced by a non authorized third party. So no Apple isn't going to pay him back for that repair or touch that phone again if they can track that issue (like if they got his serial)

I'd ask again also. Can't blame the guy. Had he known they would reimburse his $250, it'd be different. But how was he to know there was something faulty when an easy repair for $70 local vs $250 and 4-5 hours later? No brainer.

He's also only wanting iTunes credit and would supply a receipt. I think once you talk to someone nice enough- they'll help you out. Apple is great like that.

post #38 of 45

Went to the local Apple store on Saturday to get my wife's iPhone fixed. Left with a 16GB loaner iPhone 5 two and a half hours later. Did not have a Genius Bar appointment though. Make sure you back up your device before you go.

post #39 of 45

Purchased my iPhone 5 in Oct 2012.  Within 6 months was on my 3rd phone due to this issue.  Each of the 1st 2 phones started off just fine, but within a few months the button would become nearly unusable unless you hit it in just the right way.  Each time I would take it into the Apple Store and they would press the button once or twice then say they'd be right back.  Within a few minutes they were handing me a replacement phone. 

I've had this 3rd phone for about a year now with no problems, so it does sound like those early batches must have had some issues.  Glad they are officially acknowledging now.

post #40 of 45
Had my handset replaced under warranty for this same issue.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple rolls out iPhone 5 sleep/wake button replacement program in U.S. and Canada
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple rolls out iPhone 5 sleep/wake button replacement program in U.S. and Canada