or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5c ate up Android while Google's Moto X flopped: why everyone was wrong
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 5c ate up Android while Google's Moto X flopped: why everyone was wrong - Page 3

post #81 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

September will bring the hammer down... The 5c and 4s will step down in price to $449 and $349.  And, Apple will increase the high end offering. Broadening of the portfolio and price points will both allow Apple to take profit and market share.   It is a beautiful strategy  

 

I agree Apple's strategy is without peer. I wonder if it'd be cheaper (plastic vs metal) and simpler just to drop the 3.5" 4S this fall when they add the larger screen size phone. Or maybe they'll give the 4S another year. Either way growth in iPhone sales will continue through the next cycle. Just as they never dropped into the sub-$500 laptop market, I doubt they'll ever drop into the sub-$300 phone market.

post #82 of 228
The iPhone will continue to struggle against android until apple gives it the power to read a floppy disk
post #83 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

My eyes hurt.


BECAUSE THE TRUTH NAILED YOU !


post #84 of 228
Some great old quotes about newspapers that apply equally well to what's reported in other mediums today:


Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper.
- George Orwell

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.
- Mark Twain


And a couple DED likely relates to:

I became a journalist because I did not want to rely on newspapers for information.
- Christopher Hitchens

I think that of all the principles for journalism, the most important is to complicate simple things and simplify complicated things. At first sight, you may think something is simple, but it may conceal a great deal. However, facing a very complex thing, you should find out its essence.
- Jin Yongquan
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
post #85 of 228
I think all analysts are missing why Apple made the 5c. They made it because of the debacle in manufacturing costs for the 5 and the lack of new machines to make the 5s. We will see a 5cs this year because Apple needs a lower cost of goods to raise their profit margins back up to where they were before 2013. If Apple had continued to make 40-45% gross margins on the sales of it's products in 2013, then there still would have been record profit increases and the stock price would not have dropped so sharply from $700 a share.

This is one case where Jony Ive cost the company big money with the ambition of his design. I think that it is very telling that the game plan was changed after the results from the iPhone 5 came in.

Apple has been hampered by 2 profit limiting problems during the last 18 months. They had no access to the volume of high quality screens for the iPhone that they needed to match Samsung with its own manufacturing facilities. They also had a very difficult to execute design for the iPhone 5. Perhaps they missed Steve's willingness to change a weak idea, or they just made a mistake. Either way we should not miss the problems at Apple while we are recognizing the strengths or we won't know when the same problem comes back.
post #86 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post
 

Thanks, but others answered my question/comment earlier.  

post #87 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I think all analysts are missing why Apple made the 5c. They made it because of the debacle in manufacturing costs for the 5 and the lack of new machines to make the 5s. We will see a 5cs this year because Apple needs a lower cost of goods to raise their profit margins back up to where they were before 2013. If Apple had continued to make 40-45% gross margins on the sales of it's products in 2013, then there still would have been record profit increases and the stock price would not have dropped so sharply from $700 a share.

This is one case where Jony Ive cost the company big money with the ambition of his design. I think that it is very telling that the game plan was changed after the results from the iPhone 5 came in.

Apple has been hampered by 2 profit limiting problems during the last 18 months. They had no access to the volume of high quality screens for the iPhone that they needed to match Samsung with its own manufacturing facilities. They also had a very difficult to execute design for the iPhone 5. Perhaps they missed Steve's willingness to change a weak idea, or they just made a mistake. Either way we should not miss the problems at Apple while we are recognizing the strengths or we won't know when the same problem comes back.

I generally agree with your approach, especially about the larger screen supply for Apple's specs. Interpreting Jony Ive's 5/5s design as a mistake is a bit harsh. Ambitious, hubris, an overreach in the final analysis, maybe. We're pretty far from the inside info. I tend to think it was a production gamble that had to be tried in practice at the scale of millions to find out if it was cost effective. That's the way the big game has to be played, and it makes the design all the more desirable. You see the care, as Jony says, but you also see the risk and the gamble. That he cannot talk about, but we can see it. Same with the all-glass 4/4s. Risky as hell, but worth it.
post #88 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The main iOS failures:

- Missing true USB ports. Just connect a USB pendrive to share files.
- Missing a decent file system (like the Mac has). Just connect a USB pendrive to see and share files.
- Jailed. Just connect a USB pendrive to share files.
- Sanboxed files and applications. Open any file with any application.
- Expensive. Price should be slashed in half.

Those are deal breakers for hundreds of millions of people. Will Apple learn or will it go the path of the Mac and iOS will eventually become a niche market?

 

Hmm. I reckon a large part of the run-away success of the iPhone and why we will continue to see it's ever increasing lead over it's competitors where it matters (where the money is) is because of the absence of these kind of things that most people don't want or need and everyone can do without due to system security. Also, as far as I (and many others judging by the sales numbers) am concerned the iPhone is not expensive, it is very cheap for what it gives me compared to the paltry, cheap and nasty alternatives. I guess if you think it is expensive then it's out of your league, (like a Lamborghini?). 

post #89 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The main iOS failures:

- Missing true USB ports. Just connect a USB pendrive to share files.
- Missing a decent file system (like the Mac has). Just connect a USB pendrive to see and share files.
- Jailed. Just connect a USB pendrive to share files.
- Sanboxed files and applications. Open any file with any application.
- Expensive. Price should be slashed in half.

Those are deal breakers for hundreds of millions of people. Will Apple learn or will it go the path of the Mac and iOS will eventually become a niche market?

 

One of the most replied-to posts ever.

 

As I recall, Apple was criticized for introducing USB.  And SCSI and FireWire and non-VGA and …  well, you get the idea.

 

Take it to the cloud, dude.

 

Now if someone would make a USB card or paper tape reader, or a USB 9-track tape drive, I would feel differently about keeping USB.  (maybe the do)  I have some old momentos I'd like to look back thru after I retire in a couple years.

post #90 of 228

Nice article, with plenty of documented examples and links supporting your case. I agree with your evaluation of the media's general disdain of Apple and its business prospects. These people are probably mostly retreads from the old Microsoft shills and apologists, so I reckon its somewhat to be expected. The most telling thing is your point: "Cook almost doesn't seem to be aware of the tech meme that iPhone 5c is a terrible failure that he and everyone else at Apple should be ashamed to have ever released to the public." That old George Herbert quote about living well is the best revenge would seem to be Tim Cook's response.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 

Dilger, why are you obsessed with perpetuating this narrative that analysts and the media have it in for Apple? Every 'editorial' is crammed with 'evidence' that the media downplays Apple's successes and accentuates its failures, and that the opposite is true for Android manufacturers.

 

Frankly you seem to have something approaching an obsession with Google and Android OEMs. 

 

Do you find anything specifically wrong with his facts and evidence, or are you simply unhappy that he dares to point out that your emperor has no clothes. You have obviously landed at an Apple-centric site, and you seem to know his writing background; don't read it if you don't like his work.

post #91 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I generally agree with your approach, especially about the larger screen supply for Apple's specs. Interpreting Jony Ive's 5/5s design as a mistake is a bit harsh. Ambitious, hubris, an overreach in the final analysis, maybe. We're pretty far from the inside info. I tend to think it was a production gamble that had to be tried in practice at the scale of millions to find out if it was cost effective. That's the way the big game has to be played, and it makes the design all the more desirable. You see the care, as Jony says, but you also see the risk and the gamble. That he cannot talk about, but we can see it. Same with the all-glass 4/4s. Risky as hell, but worth it.
Yes we're VERY far from the inside info. Personally I'm sick of everyone and their mother giving us their theories on why Apple produced the 5C. Or why the iPad is in a so-called slump and what Apple needs to do about it.
post #92 of 228
I am very much an Apple fan but I have to say that factoring in the price, the larger screen, the FM radio and the Google apps and features, the $40 Android smart phone I just purchased from Amazon is a better phone than the Apple 5c. For one thing, you could carry this Android phone around and never worry about it getting damaged, lost or stolen. Neither it or the iPhone 5c can resist water damage but at least with the Android phone I am only out $40 in the worst case. The 5c will cost you $550 to replace since Apple Care does not cover water damage.
post #93 of 228

Don't go read the Macalope then! www.macalope.com

Dilger does this maybe once a week, the Macalope does this daily. He can do this daily because there is so much crap written about Apple in the media, and there has been since time immemorial, well at least the 80s.

post #94 of 228
Quote:
Besides this, iOS is running laps around Windows/Android - with an almost arrogant elegance.

 

Well-said sir, well-said.

 

dmz


Edited by thx1138 - 4/26/14 at 12:40pm
post #95 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I think all analysts are missing why Apple made the 5c. They made it because of the debacle in manufacturing costs for the 5 and the lack of new machines to make the 5s. We will see a 5cs this year because Apple needs a lower cost of goods to raise their profit margins back up to where they were before 2013. If Apple had continued to make 40-45% gross margins on the sales of it's products in 2013, then there still would have been record profit increases and the stock price would not have dropped so sharply from $700 a share.

This is one case where Jony Ive cost the company big money with the ambition of his design. I think that it is very telling that the game plan was changed after the results from the iPhone 5 came in.

Apple has been hampered by 2 profit limiting problems during the last 18 months. They had no access to the volume of high quality screens for the iPhone that they needed to match Samsung with its own manufacturing facilities. They also had a very difficult to execute design for the iPhone 5. Perhaps they missed Steve's willingness to change a weak idea, or they just made a mistake. Either way we should not miss the problems at Apple while we are recognizing the strengths or we won't know when the same problem comes back.
Apple had one quarter which was a complete outlier where their gross margins were above 40%. Why do people think Apple needs to get back to those ridiculous margins that clearly aren't the norm? I think part of the reason for the stock drop was/is Wall Street's concern over growth and their impatience around new products. Wall Street considers Apple a hit factory and they want new hits. Then they see Samsung throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks and think Apple is doomed because they're not doing the same. Samsung has done a great con job getting people to believe that quantity equals innovation. Google has done the same releasing information on prototype crap that isn't actually shipping but it makes people believe that they're doing something while Apple is not, because Apple does their business in private.
post #96 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Hmm. I reckon a large part of the run-away success of the iPhone and why we will continue to see it's ever increasing lead over it's competitors where it matters (where the money is) is because of the absence of these kind of things that most people don't want or need and everyone can do without due to system security. Also, as far as I (and many others judging by the sales numbers) am concerned the iPhone is not expensive, it is very cheap for what it gives me compared to the paltry, cheap and nasty alternatives. I guess if you think it is expensive then it's out of your league, (like a Lamborghini?). 

Slightly off-topic alert: An iPhone related story from a Denver TV station has done an expose on the lengths schemers will go to to get their hands on unlocked iPhones. Yup, they're wanted that badly. I'm curious tho how they qualified for the credit?
http://www.9news.com/story/news/investigations/2014/04/24/9wtk-iphone-scheme/8093499/
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #97 of 228
Apple's 90s failures did not merely pile up, but pile up "like rotting carcasses in the sun."

Poetry!
post #98 of 228
Usually, when I see articles criticizing Apple's marketing, their products or financials, I always pause and say to myself that it can't be the whole story! What's missing? Where is the truth? This isn't just due to some unquestioning loyalty to the company, often pegged a fanboy or isheep. It's none of that! It comes from a trust built up from years of this company proving itself over and over to be unique, innovative and delivering products that are appealing time and again. Giving me what I want with a consistency unmatched by the others! They've worked hard to earn that trust! I'm now at the point where I'm confident that they'll do right by me and so far, they have. Your articles tell the whole story, fill in what's missing, and reveal the truth. I've developed a similar trust in your reporting that I have for Apple. Well done!
post #99 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnewsjunkie View Post

I think all analysts are missing why Apple made the 5c. They made it because of the debacle in manufacturing costs for the 5 and the lack of new machines to make the 5s. We will see a 5cs this year because Apple needs a lower cost of goods to raise their profit margins back up to where they were before 2013. If Apple had continued to make 40-45% gross margins on the sales of it's products in 2013, then there still would have been record profit increases and the stock price would not have dropped so sharply from $700 a share.

This is one case where Jony Ive cost the company big money with the ambition of his design. I think that it is very telling that the game plan was changed after the results from the iPhone 5 came in.

Apple has been hampered by 2 profit limiting problems during the last 18 months. They had no access to the volume of high quality screens for the iPhone that they needed to match Samsung with its own manufacturing facilities. They also had a very difficult to execute design for the iPhone 5. Perhaps they missed Steve's willingness to change a weak idea, or they just made a mistake. Either way we should not miss the problems at Apple while we are recognizing the strengths or we won't know when the same problem comes back.

I think you misread this.

 

Sure, Apple paid heavily for the initial production of the 5, but by the time the 5s came out, production was running smoothly, shortages of screens aside. In essence, Apple's difficult learning curve on the 5 has paid off in spades; no competitor can even come close to the build or quantities of the 5 and 5s so sales as a prestige product are assured. There are no iPhone 5s form factor competitors at all.

 

If in fact the 6 builds on the existing design of the 5, then it is evidence that the design has been hugely successful, and the margins Apple made on the iPhone are proof that the manufacturing costs were reined in.

 

The 5c I agree was a design to cost reduce the iPhone based on a different manufacturing paradigm and reduce the pressure on 5s production. I don't think the cost reduction happened.

 

Some say the 5c is a failure, but I see it as a iPhone build that needs some marketing to educate the customers, as well as touch and a 64bit processor to give it state of the art specs, albeit at a lesser level than the current 5s and the upcoming 6.

post #100 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

I am very much an Apple fan but....


Oh great... another one of these....
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

...the $40 Android smart phone I just purchased from Amazon is a better phone than the Apple 5c. 


So the Yugo he just bought from an eastern-bloc country known for cows and land mines is better than one made in Germany??

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

For one thing, you could carry this Android phone around and never worry about it getting damaged, lost or stolen...

 

So your phone is such a better deal since it is a total piece of crap that you (or anyone else) couldn't care less about what happens to it?

..not sure if serious... 

post #101 of 228
What I've been arguing all along on Seeking Alpha is that the 5C is not really a new model and was never meant to be a new model. Apple has typically reduced the price of the previous year model by $100 with the release of a new flagship phone. This time, they did the same thing, but reduced the production cost. Everyone was arguing that the 5C would reduce margins when in fact, it actually increased it. All the 5C had to do was sell better than the previous year's 4S did when the 5 came out. And it did. By a lot.
post #102 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post
 


Oh great... another one of these....
 


So the Yugo he just bought from an eastern-bloc country known for cows and land mines is better than one made in Germany??

 

 

So your phone is such a better deal since it is a total piece of crap that you (or anyone else) couldn't care less about what happens to it?

..not sure if serious... 

Well if "one of these" is an easily verifiable iOS app developer with 30 years of working with Apple products then yes that is me. I am surrounded with stacks of iOS devices. The shelves behind me are a wall of Apple products that looks more like an Apple Store. None of this prevents me from having an objective opinion about the relative capabilities of a $40 Android phone compared to a $550 Apple phone. If price is not an issue that certainly the iPhone 5c is much better in all ways except the screen size and lack of an FM radio (a minor feature I know). However you cannot ignore the price. The Apple phone is almost 14 times more expensive. At some point you have to admit that the 5c is a tough sell for a second rate iPhone.

post #103 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAustin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

The main iOS failures:


- Missing true USB ports. Just connect a USB pendrive to share files.

- Missing a decent file system (like the Mac has). Just connect a USB pendrive to see and share files.

- Jailed. Just connect a USB pendrive to share files.

- Sanboxed files and applications. Open any file with any application.

- Expensive. Price should be slashed in half.


Those are deal breakers for hundreds of millions of people. Will Apple learn or will it go the path of the Mac and iOS will eventually become a niche market?

One of the most replied-to posts ever.

As I recall, Apple was criticized for introducing USB.  And SCSI and FireWire and non-VGA and …  well, you get the idea.

Take it to the cloud, dude.

Now if someone would make a USB card or paper tape reader, or a USB 9-track tape drive, I would feel differently about keeping USB.  (maybe the do)  I have some old momentos I'd like to look back thru after I retire in a couple years.

Chad or chadless pt?

Here's a 729 for mag tape:




Now, if we could only get a cartridge reader on it 1biggrin.gif

I hear that the A8 APU will use magneto restrictive delay lines instead of RAM.

Mmm ... I do have a cartridge from a DataCell, around here ... Someplace ...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #104 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage View Post

Thank you Daniel--the one voice of reason and sense in a league of morons.

Said without a trace of irony, as well!
post #105 of 228

I wrote on another blog last year that the iPhone 5C was selling very well, based on my own observations at a local Apple Store. Not only that, I owned several 5C's myself and found them to be, as many others have, excellent phones. But it seems to me that you miss the real culprits in this scenario: the  Apple-centric media who almost without exception panned the 5C and its sales as you hav panned the Moto X in this article. On the other hand, your article fails to  account for the fact that the Moto X despite poor sales was almost universally acclaimed as the best Android phone of 2013. The failure of the Moto X to match iPhone sales had nothing to do with the quality of the phone. It had more to do with poor marketing decisions on the part of Motorola or Google, e.g. limiting initial sales and Moto maker to only one carrier, and a less than stellar TV ad campaign. A testimony to the Moto X's superb innovations can be found in the latest (June 2014) issue of MacLife magazine, in an article about what the writer hopes will be contained in the upcoming iOS8. The Moto X and several of its innovations are mentioned specifically as well worthy of Apple's consideration.

post #106 of 228

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post



So you think that Motorola's success in the UK impeaches the OP's thesis? In the USA, we have a saying: "That's the exception that proves the rule." Your fixation on the Motorola's success in the UK reminds me of a product introduction in the 1980s. That was the Coca Cola formula change to "New Coke." New Coke was a success in Detroit, Michigan. However, it was a failure everywhere else, its success in Detroit notwithstanding.
 

That's news to those of us living in the Detroit area. Do you have a source for that claim?

post #107 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachar View Post

I don't know how Tim Cook can say 85% of purchasers go the iPhone 4S are new to iOS . When I purchased one for my wife from an Apple store no one asked me any questions like this and when I took out a monthly contract for an iPhone 5 no questions were asked either.

I'm sure they can be extremely accurate in these figures as every iPhone has to be activated against an Apple ID and they will know whether that Apple ID has previously had any other iPhones / iPads / iPod Touch activated against it or not... No previous activations = new to iPhone as it is extremely unlikely that people are going to create a new Apple ID for every new device because they'd lose all previous App purchases, etc if they did.
post #108 of 228
Originally Posted by HAMETA View Post
BECAUSE THE TRUTH NAILED YOU !

 

Ooh, I like that image. “Hurt me with the truth; don’t comfort me with a lie.” That strikes home with me.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #109 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

I am very much an Apple fan but I have to say that factoring in the price, the larger screen, the FM radio and the Google apps and features, the $40 Android smart phone I just purchased from Amazon is a better phone than the Apple 5c. For one thing, you could carry this Android phone around and never worry about it getting damaged, lost or stolen. Neither it or the iPhone 5c can resist water damage but at least with the Android phone I am only out $40 in the worst case. The 5c will cost you $550 to replace since Apple Care does not cover water damage.

 

The article isn't arguing a subjective opinion that the 5c is a "better phone" that everyone "should" be buying. 

 

It's arguing objectively the plain facts of commercial success. Over the past 6 months, Apple sold a huge number of 5c units at sustainable profit margins that will enable it to continue developing new products in the future, while Google lost $700 million establishing tiny market share gains in a few areas with phones it won't even be selling in the future, because it offloaded Motorola to Lenovo. 

 

You can argue an option about what you personally find likable in a given product, but you can't argue the facts. 5c was very successful and Motorola was very unsuccessful. That's not even really all that surprising given the experience, ecosystem and inertia behind Apple vs the lack of experience and the weakness of Android as a platform that Google was coping with.

 

What is surprising is that the media would work so hard to spin failure as success and success as failure.

 

It's impossible to look through tech news reports and not see blatant dishonesty and an incredible double standard between Apple being browbeat over invented problems that aren't really problems while "Android" is given pass after pass despite severe problems that are threatening its very viability, not to mention harming the experience of users who end up stuck with devices that can't/won't be upgraded.

 

Also, you can Liquipel your iPhone for $60 if you're worried about water damage.  

post #110 of 228
Analcysts. Pundits on Google and Samsung's payroll to talk up their garbage products while bashing Apple for not being like them (thank god). They all remind me of a secretary that bashes Apple products, but still dosen't know how to manage their Outlook inbox or annotate a simple pdf document on their "simple" windows computer. A bunch of tech idiots that hate Apple because it is "so different" when they all basically do the same damn thing damn near the same way. We'll be reading the same thing in about 6 months about the groundbreaking Fire from Amazon.
post #111 of 228
Wasn't there just an article lately about how a high percentage of S5 customers in the UK were former iPhone users? There's so much slop on both sides of the fence that its hard to know what to follow. I'll go by Comscore's numbers which show Android and iOS growing in marketshare. Though Android continues to grow faster than iOS, they both command a sizable chunk of the market.
post #112 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Dilger, why are you obsessed with perpetuating this narrative that analysts and the media have it in for Apple? Every 'editorial' is crammed with 'evidence' that the media downplays Apple's successes and accentuates its failures, and that the opposite is true for Android manufacturers.

Frankly you seem to have something approaching an obsession with Google and Android OEMs. 

Wow. Just Wow.

When presented with example after example of the press' and analyst's misreporting of fact and creation of failure scenarios all you can deduce is a DED obsession. Perhaps we need someone who can cogently string together an accurate picture and report on it. Thanks DED, your insight is sorely needed and I appreciate your research and consistency of presentation.

I am quite amazed at what appears to be a groundswell of hostility towards Apple. Just think about it for a moment. It's the American dream come to life. A rags to riches story of national proportion. A company started in a garage, beaten down every step of the way, making good and still functioning despite what appears to be a large group of people just itching for it to fail. Let's connect some of the dots here.

Conspiracy theory aside, it is known that Apple does not subscribe to a business model that rewards 3rd party sales people selling its product. It is also known that the competition does provide kick-backs (called sales incentives) as part of their normal business model. Apple has consistently gone up against cell company greed, forcing them to share some of their exorbitant monthly rates by subsidizing the cost of the phones. Forcing low-price unlimited data, though this has been largely undermined by unprecedented demand for more data capacity that the cell infrastructure is only now beginning to get in front of, and gave the cell companies a marketing excuse to wiggle out of. Apple providing a ecosystem-wide alternative to SMS again cutting into cell company margins, although this time, in an area that was near zero cost for the cell companies to support (using existing tower maintenance bandwidth).

Apple has made a lot of enemies along the way. Sure, "Haters gonna hate" but public facing sales people who must denigrate the iPhone in order to justify the sales they push that send their kids to college find ears only too willing to believe. Analysts, demanding growth in all phases of product cycles, set unreasonable targets in a rapidly maturing business. Cell companies become fearful of the power that Apple has wielded in the past, that has led them kicking and screaming to a business model that has actually benefited their customers (that's you and me folks). Now that the cell companies have a stronger footing they want to undo a lot of that work and greedily pull in more bucks for their still world-trailing service.

And then there's the government. Oh boy!

Government wants a piece of the action. Apple says emphatically "no" and continues to use existing tax rules to pay the minimum that it legally can. Backlash ensues. It suddenly becomes a reasonable thing, in the eyes of the popular press, to pay the government more than is required by law. As if tthe government were some charitable organization that would do more good works if only they had more money (now who believes that?). Suddenly it becomes popular to bash Apple (who is the largest single tech contributer to the government's coffers) for not paying more in taxes to a government that cannot or will not even provide basic protection for Apple's IP and business model. So what does the government do? Actually I've no idea what they do but suddenly there's a major anti-trust case that appear to be completely unreasonable, headed by what appear to be a politically motivated judge, coming to conclusions that do not pass tests of reasonableness and a whole bunch of states champing at the bit to make the pie bigger (that's to benefit you and me too, right?).

Sure Apple's no angel. Heck they're in business. But they are the ones that brought me powerful UNIX-based computing engines and let me carry them in my pocket. They are the ones that supported those engines with an amazing software eco-system. They were the ones who acted as a buffer to rein-in monopolistic cell phone, entertainment, and publishing companies. They make their money largely by keeping us, the customers, happy and I would rather trust that as a motivation than commoditizing companies like Samsung or any number of companies who have to tell me that they're not evil.

What a shame Schmidt got greedy and tried to horn in on Apple's business. Apple and Google as a team could have created an incredible tech future instead of providing such a distraction and a fertile ground for the legal system to get rich.

Time to get behind the company that is making it its business to provide us with resources to run our lives more productively and say a resounding "no" to disinformation and the companies who spend so much money to spread it.

OK rant-off for now. I'm going out to buy more popcorn and hide behind my sofa with my thumb in my mouth.
Edited by softeky - 4/26/14 at 3:11pm
post #113 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux8 View Post

What I've been arguing all along on Seeking Alpha is that the 5C is not really a new model and was never meant to be a new model. Apple has typically reduced the price of the previous year model by $100 with the release of a new flagship phone. This time, they did the same thing, but reduced the production cost. Everyone was arguing that the 5C would reduce margins when in fact, it actually increased it. All the 5C had to do was sell better than the previous year's 4S did when the 5 came out. And it did. By a lot.

EXACTLY! This was my notion too, from the day it was introduced. In addition to everything you said, it also created another point of differentiation between the one year old 5 and the new 5S. Had they retained the more expensive metal body, in addition to costing more to produce versus the plastic body, they might have sold more of the one year old model at the expense of 5S sales.
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
Never own anything that poops. - RadarTheKat
Reply
post #114 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I generally do too.

Claiming"failure" is relative anyway. Motorola sold about 6.5 million devices last quarter. For them it's probably a decent showing, an improvement in both numbers and public perception of Motorola as a brand. For Apple 6.5 million would be considered a massive failure of epic proportions, while on the other hand Motorola or any other manufacturer achieving the likely Apple 5c sales numbers would be considered a huge success.
Consider Tesla. Their sales numbers are hardly Lexus-worthy but they still manage to get press reviews that "lavish them with praise" for their accomplishments. I don't think those reviews are "incredibly wrong" either.

In any event the 5c is obviously filling a need in Apple's lineup so it's certainly no failure.

 

If I recall correctly most of the claims involving it not doing well were relative to the 5s and the performance of previous models in the $100 below current generation price slot. Its performance is really somewhat relative to that, although margins may have been better for Apple if it's easier to construct and frees up expensive machinery.

post #115 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

U.K., France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Sweden, Poland, Czech Republic, Ireland, Portugal, Austria, Spain, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Hungary, and Luxembourg

 

... at Apple online stores in those countries and some carriers in U.K., France and Germany.

 

We've had them for a while in Australia.

 

They sell quite well.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #116 of 228
Spot on article Dan, the media and industry will never give Apple its credit where due, they single handedly reshaped the mobile space, and everyone wants them to mimic the fail business model of Microsoft, Google, and Samsung.
post #117 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post
 

Well if "one of these" is an easily verifiable iOS app developer with 30 years of working with Apple products then yes that is me. I am surrounded with stacks of iOS devices. The shelves behind me are a wall of Apple products that looks more like an Apple Store. None of this prevents me from having an objective opinion about the relative capabilities of a $40 Android phone compared to a $550 Apple phone. If price is not an issue that certainly the iPhone 5c is much better in all ways except the screen size and lack of an FM radio (a minor feature I know). However you cannot ignore the price. The Apple phone is almost 14 times more expensive. At some point you have to admit that the 5c is a tough sell for a second rate iPhone.

 

Why even spend $40 if you are surrounded by stacks of iOS devices? Grab one of them, and if you lose it, no big deal, just grab another one!

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply

"Inspirational phrase here." - Person you never heard of here.

Reply
post #118 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwriter927 View Post

That's news to those of us living in the Detroit area. Do you have a source for that claim?
My God, man. New Coke was introduced in 1985, some 29 years ago. I surmise that you were not even born then.
post #119 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadibe View Post
 
I  assume you have an Apple ID? Now think about it again just for a few.  See now how they might be able to tell?

Anyone who installed iTunes on a PC, or previously owned an iPod, Nokia, Blackberry, feature phone, etc., would either be miscounted or not  counted in your scenario. I think Apple probably use multiple methods of arriving at an estimated number of Android switchers.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #120 of 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 
Sharing files via AirDrop, iMessage, etc are extremely easy and more convenient than using external storage. I'm not sure why you're caught up on sharing files with USB. Why would you want to carry around a 2nd device just to share a file when in 2-3 taps of the phone (or iPad) you can push a file to someone more easily. Again, trying to make an iOS device a computer. 

 

Remember when you could copy files to, or from, your Mac with an iPod? In fact, you could even boot your Mac from an image on your iPod. You also could store any kind of file on your iPod, even a Windows .exe file if you wished. The reason that Apple discontinued that feature and does not allow access to the file system is because it is a security risk, not because they wanted to make your life more difficult, or as you say, easier. The walled garden is for your safety, not for general convenience, although not getting infected with viruses is quite convenient in the long run if you think about it. If you jail break your phone you would clearly see that there is a file system, it is just not user accessible in a normal configuration, for security reasons.

 

And iPhones do have a USB port, but again, it is restricted for your security, however, you can use it to import camera memory card images and other specialized uses. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 5c ate up Android while Google's Moto X flopped: why everyone was wrong
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5c ate up Android while Google's Moto X flopped: why everyone was wrong