or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung's 'prepped' witness angers judge in final day of patent trial testimony

Samsung's 'prepped' witness angers judge in final day of patent trial testimony

post #1 of 42
On the last day of testimony in the Apple v. Samsung patent trial, Samsung counsel and its final expert witness were berated by presiding Judge Lucy Koh over possible coaching on what to say regarding claim construction of a contentious Apple patent.

Apple Data Detectors

Apple and Samsung met in court on Monday to hash out the definition of a claim relating to Apple's '647 patent covering data detectors. Specifically, Apple's definition of "analyzer servers" as presented in Apple v. Samsung differs from a ruling handed down by the Court of Appeals for Federal Circuit last week that overturned the dismissal of a separate action involving Apple and Motorola.

In its ruling, the CAFC sided with Judge Richard A. Posner's interpretation of analyzer servers, not Apple's version as argued in the trial against Samsung. Since Judge Koh allowed Apple to assert the patent and its claim construction, she granted both parties an hour of time and one witness each to clarify the patent in an extension to proceedings.

Apple recalled Carnegie Mellon professor Todd Mowry to testify that Samsung is still in infringement of Apple's "quick links" patent even with Judge Posner's interpretation, reports CNET.

To counter, Samsung recalled University of North Carolina professor Kevin Jeffay. In his testimony, Jeffay said he held a particular interpretation of the analyzer server -- one incongruent with Apple's definition -- but claimed the court ordered him not to discuss it. Judge Koh was not pleased.

According to tweets from mLex correspondent Mike Swift, the jurist did not appreciate "that Samsung 'prepped' Jeffay to say he was blocked from using correct construction." Judge Koh ultimately struck his statements from the record, adding that the expert's deposition was "very inconsistent."

Samsung was charged for the time, limiting Jeffay's testimony to a non-infringement argument based largely on prior art in the form of Borland's Sidekick software first launched on MS-DOS in 1984.

Apple and Samsung will present closing arguments on Tuesday, after which jurors will deliberate and render a verdict as per a 53-page set of finalized instructions handed out earlier today.

post #2 of 42
Samsung is crooked to the core.
The most dishonest company on the planet.
post #3 of 42
Not a good day for Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I'm not so sure. Did you consider any psychics as owning businesses?
Edited by SolipsismX - 4/28/14 at 10:24pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 42
So as usual, Samsung (and its lawyers) get caught lying, cheating, bending the truth, etc... and they know the worst they will get is a slap on the wrist. They play the system to their advantage knowing the judge(s) don't have the chops to make an example.
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not a good day for Samsung.
I'm not so sure. Did you consider any psychics as owning businesses?

I knew you were going to say that.

That'll be $25.
post #6 of 42

So, the final verdict might be coming tomorrow afternoon already? Or maybe on wednesday?

I want to see Samsung lose so badly.

post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So as usual, Samsung (and its lawyers) get caught lying, cheating, bending the truth, etc... and they know the worst they will get is a slap on the wrist. They play the system to their advantage knowing the judge(s) don't have the chops to make an example.

their lawyers were told sanctions might come their way if it happened again (trying to introduce a new testimony) they would face new sanctions.  and the a little after they coached a witness to say something that was not true and in the end, just lost a little time.

so... basically- they can do what they want when copying/selling phones and then do what they want in court.  and let's face it- even if apple does win, it will be rounded down until it is about 90 million.

however, if it were the other way around...

post #8 of 42
I am piss off at samsung employees because they are cheating and stealing patents from apple and blackberry company. I am not going to buy any samsung galaxy smartphones. So I am to kick the Samsung business with their smartphone out my United States. The stupid customers did bought rip off samsung smartphones. The google are cheating at their employees too. So what I say about Andy Rubin is big troublemaker google employee because he did wrote a android software by copying from iOS after the first iPhone came out.
post #9 of 42
If people stop using Google search, Google+. Et al, they will lost their only meaningful source of income and will stop to continue to update android, which were copied by their fxxking chief by sitting on Apple's board...Samjerks will no longer be able to copy any Apple's ideas, analysts and journalists will be fired no because they wrote untrue stories, but rather no cheaters to pay them to lie...we will save on tax dollars to feed those Cote et al...case solved.
post #10 of 42

I hope Apple win this (again), and Samsung learn something from this (unlikely).

post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by water cooler View Post
 stop using Google search

Time to start using bing

post #12 of 42
try using www.ask.com instead of google.
Information is toooooo much power.
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripo View Post

try using www.ask.com instead of google.
Information is toooooo much power.

Isn't Ask.com's toolbar and start page widely considered malware? 1hmm.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

Time to start using bing

Yahoo presents the information a bit nicer. I've been using Yahoo as the standard search on all my iDevices and Macs for months now. I don't miss Google search at all.
post #15 of 42
I would suggest duck duck go, disconnect, and Adblock. For the last 6 months I have been dropping google. I started, not because google vs apple. I could care less what two companies do with each other. But rather, I don't want my personal data in the hands of a marketer . I think google has created some neat things but ultimately I choose to find similar stuff elsewhere.
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

If people stop using Google search, Google+. Et al, they will lost their only meaningful source of income and will stop to continue to update android, which were copied by their fxxking chief by sitting on Apple's board...Samjerks will no longer be able to copy any Apple's ideas, analysts and journalists will be fired no because they wrote untrue stories, but rather no cheaters to pay them to lie...we will save on tax dollars to feed those Cote et al...case solved.

I personal don't think google is all that bad. Id prefer to not use an android device, but base android is not that similar to iOS. Yes, they changed their direction completely when iOS came out- but they had to- or they'd never take off (see Blackberry). Now touchwiz and samsung is a completely different story. They are the worst of the worst in the tech field. So glad apple is doing these lawsuits. Although not "good" publicity for apple- it at least shines the light on how rotten Samsung is.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #17 of 42
I could read this story over and over...LOL!

Koh really lost it and went medieval on Samsung in the courtroom.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #18 of 42
F
Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaPilot View Post

Yahoo presents the information a bit nicer. I've been using Yahoo as the standard search on all my iDevices and Macs for months now. I don't miss Google search at all.
For the kind of search I do, I find Yahoo's engine adequate.
Just like you, my Mac and both iPhone and iPad, now default over to Yahoo.
post #19 of 42
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Come on, Kimmy; retake the south! You know you want to!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaPilot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

F
For the kind of search I do, I find Yahoo's engine adequate.
Just like you, my Mac and both iPhone and iPad, now default over to Yahoo.

I switched to Yahoo! soon after Google backstabbed Apple. Often, the results are; seemingly; superior.
post #21 of 42

Isn't the correct term "coached"? All witnesses are "prepped" before a case (for example, explained how things will go and the types of questions they'll be asked).

"Coaching", IMO, is when the lawyers are telling the witness what to say beforehand when asked a specific question.

Regardless, chalk up another one for Samsung.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #22 of 42
Samsung will lie, cheat, steal, copy, and just about anything else that is low life to make a buck or win an argument. Boycott Samsung products. They have no morales, not one drop of honesty in them. Samsung is corrupt through and through.
post #23 of 42
Lie, cheat, steal, bribe: the story of Samsung.
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Lie, cheat, steal, bribe: the story of Samsung.

Actually, not too far off:

"Tax evasion, bribery and price-fixing: How Samsung became the giant that ate Korea"

Personally, I would add astroturfing, benchmark-cheating, and press-threatening to the above, but there may not have been enough room in the headline, you know?

post #25 of 42
I decided some time ago that I would not buy any Samsung products because the company has despicable business practices and there are many other brands to choose from.
Coincidentally, when I had a highly reputable independent appliance repairman in the house to deal with a couple of minor issues, We ended up discussing the quality of modern appliances.
He said people's reluctance to pay for quality has had a significant impact on appliances. He told me the worst modern appliances are from Samsung and LG. He said they were all glitz and no substance, gimmicky, over-complex, unreliable and hard to repair. And he said parts are expensive and hard to get.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Powell View Post

Time to start using bing

Yahoo.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq2 View Post

Actually, not too far off:

"Tax evasion, bribery and price-fixing: How Samsung became the giant that ate Korea"

Personally, I would add astroturfing, benchmark-cheating, and press-threatening to the above, but there may not have been enough room in the headline, you know?

They are also accused of giving their plant workers cancer.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cferry View Post

I decided some time ago that I would not buy any Samsung products because the company has despicable business practices and there are many other brands to choose from.

With the enviable ethical reputation that Apple enjoys, why do they continue to associate with Samsung in a business relationship? Apparently they don't fell as strongly about the issue as you do. There are other vendors for screens, cpu, memory, etc, but Apple always renews contracts with Samsung. I wonder which company has a stronger negotiating advantage, Apple or Samsung?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #29 of 42

First I would tend to listen to a Professor from CMU about software before someone from a NC University. CMU has a long history with Software and Software engineering. It looks like Samsung could not find anyone else who had a different view point than Apple by they found this guy from NC.

Also since they are arguing that Sidekick was prior artwork, I would have to agree, I used sidekick for years when it finally came out on the mac and love that program and it did have a way of recognize certain types of text. Can not say it was exactly like Apple but it was similar from what I remember. This could be an interesting point to see how that plays out.

post #30 of 42
Is anything samdung ethically correct?
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Aren't Google services widely considered malware?

post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Aren't Google services widely considered malware?

Apparently you're not familiar with Ask.com. 1rolleyes.gif
post #33 of 42
Quote:

I use https://duckduckgo.com/

post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

I use https://duckduckgo.com/

They've got a good thing going. If they can figure out how to expand services (it's expensive!) without targeted ad money they have a good chance of growing share.
post #35 of 42
Quote:

They've got a good thing going. If they can figure out how to expand services (it's expensive!) without targeted ad money they have a good chance of growing share.

I wonder if 1) Apple would be interested in buying them, and 2) how much it would cost.

post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cferry View Post

Coincidentally, when I had a highly reputable independent appliance repairman in the house to deal with a couple of minor issues, We ended up discussing the quality of modern appliances.
He said people's reluctance to pay for quality has had a significant impact on appliances. He told me the worst modern appliances are from Samsung and LG. He said they were all glitz and no substance, gimmicky, over-complex, unreliable and hard to repair. And he said parts are expensive and hard to get.

I only have 1 Samsung product left in my house to get rid of: Samsung DLP which I got in 2007 and got screwed by its flawed chip which Samsung refused to fix. After that, I'm free of Samsung products.

post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

That'll be $25.

Scamsung here,

That'll be $S5.

Payable in Gold, with a fingerprint sensor swipe.

post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

With the enviable ethical reputation that Apple enjoys, why do they continue to associate with Samsung in a business relationship? Apparently they don't fell as strongly about the issue as you do. There are other vendors for screens, cpu, memory, etc, but Apple always renews contracts with Samsung. I wonder which company has a stronger negotiating advantage, Apple or Samsung?

It's not so much that there aren't others who make quality products, it's that Samsung has quantity on its side.  Apple is guaranteed large sums of parts which many companies can't do.  Apple has been trying help other companies grow so in the future they won't have to rely on Samsung, but it takes time.

post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So, the final verdict might be coming tomorrow afternoon already? Or maybe on wednesday?

I want to see Samsung lose so badly.

Do you mean you really want to see Samsung lose, or that you want to see Samsung lose big time, or both? Any way, I agree with all sentiments!

I’ll crawl back to Pedants' Corner...

😉
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #40 of 42
Someone should write a comic strip with Apple as the good guys and Samsung the baddies. Steve Jobs, Sir Jonathan Ive and Tim Cook would be the principal superheroes, of course.

Samsung's wickedness would be comical in its obviousness, were it not reality.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung's 'prepped' witness angers judge in final day of patent trial testimony