or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple quietly releases more affordable MacBook Airs starting at $899 [u]

Apple quietly releases more affordable MacBook Airs starting at $899 [u] - Page 3

post #81 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

£749 is a much better entry level price, it's just a shame they they continue to rip us off.

At £699 they'd be able to justify their whole "it costs us more to do business in the UK" line, but considering the US price with 20% added on top to account for the VAT that we pay is only £645 one can't help but feel screwed over by their greed.

Take it up with Cook. The company isn't here to lose money, they do have to keep their margins, otherwise Wall Streets downgrades the stock.

I think they are also factoring the fluctuations in the currency exchange rates and they don't change their price because the exchange rate changes.  

post #82 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Did you really expect Apple to drop a retina MacBook Air via silent update on the apple store? I see this as clearing the deck for new stuff and the update was minor enough that it could be announced this way.

Of course not... There was talk about the MBA's getting an "update" within a week.  One never knows really what Apple was up to... One could hope... :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

Sounds like you should be looking at getting a Macbook Pro, not a Macbook Air.

I considered it.... I take my MBA everywhere I go when going to/from client sites.  I also drive a motorcycle every day.  I used a Macbook Pro for about a week (configuring it for a friend) and as as much as I liked it, the weight difference was substantial enough that I could really feel the weight of it on my motorbike and carrying it around all day.  I'm a gym-rat, and quite strong... but that extra weight adds up as the day goes on.  

The MBA horsepower-wise is fine.  It's only a business-machine.  It does see duty as a Windows-machine via VMware, so the extra memory (mine has 4GB) would come in handy.  8GB is fine, but with today's tech... 8GB should be standard, and 16GB should be the upgrade.

Nonetheless, these are solid updates to an already fantastic machine.  I can hold out with mine for a little longer.

Edited by sflocal - 4/29/14 at 1:55pm
post #83 of 115
The best laptop on the market, period! I wish it had a Retina display.
post #84 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jume View Post

The best laptop on the market, period! I wish it had a Retina display.

You mean its the best next gen Netbook? 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #85 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Netbooks arose because of the cheap, low-power Atom CPU. The MBA's CPUs historically have had list price for around $280 to $360. That's more than an entire netbook and those Core processors are considerably faster and have more features than any Atom CPU.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #86 of 115
Quote:

No for me MBA is the definition of laptop. Portable computer that offers great portability and enough power to do most of the tasks on the go. It's light, slim and robust. I couldn't have find a better laptop then 13'' MBA. It's perfect!

post #87 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Netbooks arose because of the cheap, low-power Atom CPU. The MBA's CPUs historically have had list price for around $280 to $360. That's more than an entire netbook and those Core processors are considerably faster and have more features than any Atom CPU.

I know what netbooks are...the MBA is the next gen of netbooks. Ultrabooks are just next gen netbooks. iPads will replace them...

post #88 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jume View Post

No for me MBA is the definition of laptop. Portable computer that offers great portability and enough power to do most of the tasks on the go. It's light, slim and robust. I couldn't have find a better laptop then 13'' MBA. It's perfect!

And it doesn't do anything an iPad can't. 

post #89 of 115
Quote:

I know what netbooks are...the MBA is the next gen of netbooks. Ultrabooks are just next gen netbooks. iPads will replace them...

There is nothing "next gen" about a notebook that goes to being a $200-300 Atom-based (or equivalent) system to a $600-1500 Core-based system. The MBA is ultra-light notebook that is responsible for the Ultrabook branding by Intel. Calling that chip a netbook when it can do so much more than basic access to the Net is like saying Michael Jordan is just a guy that puts a ball in a ring.

post #90 of 115
Quote:

Whatever that means but don't compare productivity of iPad to MBA because it doesn't even come close...

post #91 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There is a good chance this is a pre new model clearance sale

I don't think they'd have bothered updating the spec if that was the case, especially not if it was a short-term thing. Maybe they'll do what they did with the MBP line when transitioning to Retina models and keep them on sale for a while but have the Retina models higher priced. They could introduce a single Retina 12" Air with 128GB SSD starting around $200 higher than the entry Air at $1099. If it's just one model, they could even switch the old cMBP slot out for the Retina Air at $1199 but then it conflicts with the section. It would be good if the rMBP line just dropped $100 and eliminated the cMBP. Thunderbolt 2 would be a selling point for a Retina Air as it will support a Retina Thunderbolt display.
post #92 of 115
suspect the 12 inch is an ARM/iOS based macbook...maybe called macbook cloud rather than macbook air. will be a different niche than the current intel based macbook air targets. kind of like a chrome book. apple will sell it for $800 for 64gb.
post #93 of 115
Predictions go start threw, 12 inch (retina)at $1200 could be coming soon as these are now cheaper(amazing now $200 lower then last years price.
post #94 of 115
Quote:

Except run windows.

Or Java.

Or Pixelmator

Or drive my 29" display at 2560 x 1080

Or XCode

Or connect to my RAID array

Or connect via Ethernet

Or run Steam and my steam games

Or run FCP

Or a gazillion other things that I won't bother listing.

post #95 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think they'd have bothered updating the spec if that was the case, especially not if it was a short-term thing. Maybe they'll do what they did with the MBP line when transitioning to Retina models and keep them on sale for a while but have the Retina models higher priced. They could introduce a single Retina 12" Air with 128GB SSD starting around $200 higher than the entry Air at $1099. If it's just one model, they could even switch the old cMBP slot out for the Retina Air at $1199 but then it conflicts with the section. It would be good if the rMBP line just dropped $100 and eliminated the cMBP. Thunderbolt 2 would be a selling point for a Retina Air as it will support a Retina Thunderbolt display.

In a way he is right, since no production line changes are necessary in this case. It's probably a result of chipset necessity and not a deliberate "let's give this a bump" upgrade.

In other words, just clearing the line for an early-2015 Retina release. Unless absolutely desperate, I wouldn't touch these "bumped" MBAs with a 10-meter pole...
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #96 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

In a way he is right, since no production line changes are necessary in this case. It's probably a result of chipset necessity and not a deliberate "let's give this a bump" upgrade.

In other words, just clearing the line for an early-2015 Retina release. Unless absolutely desperate, I wouldn't touch these "bumped" MBAs with a 10-meter pole...

Because a April 2014 model replacing a June 2013 model is just "clearing the line" for a machine you expect early-2015?  

These are only "clearing the line" if you expect a retina MBA announcement at the 2014 WWDC and not sometime in 2015 early or late.

post #97 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

The extended warranties cost money too. Apple doesn't have to offer that in the US.

Not sure I understand what you mean there. Can you explain?

Buying consumer electronics in the UK gets you a Multi-year warranty by law. I think it is something like 3-4 years. Apple only provides a one year limited warranty in the US. I think most of the EU is at least two years. That costs Apple more money to do business there as a result and they do pass the costs on to the consumer.
post #98 of 115
Quote:

Lots of reasons. An 11" notebook isn't going to work for a lot of people when they know Windows and can get a 15" notebook that has more and faster everything for less money.
There is no fraud here. You can determine for yourself if this MBA fits your needs, then buy or not to buy as you see fit.
I'm thinking this is setting the stage for a new MBA and will surprised if there wasn't a major update later this year.

Except I don't really believe that this price change was meant as a competitive dig at 15" Windows laptops. I believe it was a direct shot to the heart of this....

post #99 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

Except I don't really believe that this price change was meant as a competitive dig at 15" Windows laptops. I believe it was a direct shot to the heart of this….

[image]

I don't see that as being likely as I don't see any of the MS Surfaces taking away from Apple's sales, at least in such quantity that Apple believes losing $100 of profit on each MBA is an advantageous move. I think it probably has to do with a drop of component prices coupled with an EOL model type on its last hurrah.

post #100 of 115
Quote:

I don't see that as being likely as I don't see any of the MS Surfaces taking away from Apple's sales, at least in such quantity that Apple believes losing $100 of profit on each MBA is an advantageous move. I think it probably has to do with a drop of component prices coupled with an EOL model type on its last hurrah.

I totally agree with you that there's no evidence en masse that Surfaces are taking away sales from Apple, but I also believe that Apple wouldn't wait until that was the case. I believe they would be way more offensive about it to finish nipping up any "would-be's." I also think that there's a little bit more to do with it than a drop of component prices, because like you said why would Apple just decide to lose $100? If component prices dropped and they aren't losing any sales then why drop prices at all? Why not use that to increase margins? To sum it all up, I don't see it as a "Oh crap we better do something to save ourselves" move. I see it as a "If these guys even thought for a second that they had a chance...." move. 

post #101 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I totally agree with you that there's no evidence en masse that Surfaces are taking away sales from Apple, but I also believe that Apple wouldn't wait until that was the case. I believe they would be way more offensive about it to finish nipping up any "would-be's." I also think that there's a little bit more to do with it than a drop of component prices, because like you said why would Apple just decide to lose $100? If component prices dropped and they aren't losing any sales then why drop prices at all? Why not use that to increase margins? To sum it all up, I don't see it as a "Oh crap we better do something to save ourselves" move. I see it as a "If these guys even thought for a second that they had a chance...." move. 

I see your point about if not having to drop prices with lower component costs if they do own the market, and they did lower the price on the iPods "coincidently" right before the Zune launched so perhaps there is something to that.

post #102 of 115
Quote:

Um, no.

Er, yes.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
post #103 of 115
Quote:

Based on what??

The fact that the iPad is the present and the future; the MacBook Air is the past.
post #104 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pool Man View Post

If you boot up a Mac and open a web browser with five or so page, mail app, iTunes (not playing), Pages, and Numbers -- you need just over 4 GBs of ram. That's before you've pushed PLAY in iTunes or typed anything into either iWorks app.

This means the MacBook Airs need a memory upgrade from Apple, which means the $100 price drop goes right back to Apple to get 8 GBs of RAM.

Not true. It is approx. 2.4GB for your scenario. It seems to me that you added the file cache in, which is wrong. The file cache is basically unused memory that OS X uses to cache frequently used disk pages. 

post #105 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Except run windows.

Or Java.

Or Pixelmator

Or drive my 29" display at 2560 x 1080

Or XCode

Or connect to my RAID array

Or connect via Ethernet

Or run Steam and my steam games

Or run FCP

Or a gazillion other things that I won't bother listing.

Then get a MacBook Pro. Nobody plays games on a MacBook Air, nobody uses FCP on a MBA for serious work.

post #106 of 115

Oh, so you can now run Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Virtualbox and Xcode on an iPad?

post #107 of 115

Then get a MacBook Pro. Nobody plays games on a MacBook Air, nobody uses FCP on a MBA for serious work.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1209-real-life-editing-experiences-with-a-macbook-air-and-final-cut-pro-x

post #108 of 115
Quote:

1) bullshit

2) the current MBA is faster than many MBP still in service. My MBP for work is about to be replaced but it's 3 years old and the 11" Core i7 2013 MBA is faster than it in terms of both CPU and GPU.

post #109 of 115
Quote:

1) bullshit

2) the current MBA is faster than many MBP still in service. My MBP for work is about to be replaced but it's 3 years old and the 11" Core i7 2013 MBA is faster than it in terms of both CPU and GPU.

HAHAHAHA living in a dream world are we! Lets see some real world tests that show this. Maybe it boots faster and things like that, but thats only because of the flash storage and nothing else. You could very easily put an SSD in a non-retina MBP too and then the difference is basically nothing. 

post #110 of 115
Quote:

HAHAHAHA living in a dream world are we! Lets see some real world tests that show this. Maybe it boots faster and things like that, but thats only because of the flash storage and nothing else. You could very easily put an SSD in a non-retina MBP too and then the difference is basically nothing. 

More BS. The PCIe SSDs trounce SATA connected SSDs, and considering those older MBPs had SATA II it's not even a contest.

post #111 of 115
Quote:

1) bullshit

Is the old one a 13"? The 15" 2011s would still be faster.

post #112 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Is the old one a 13"? The 15" 2011s would still be faster.

It's a mid-2010 2.53 Ghz Core i5 with the GT330M purchased just before the early 2011's came out.  My refresh was delayed a couple months and my new retina MBP is coming in the next couple days.  Technically my laptop was 3.2 years old went the order for a new one went out.  There was some snafu with Mavericks integration with some enterprise software so all mac refreshes were on hold for a while.

In comparison to the 2.0 Ghz Core i7 2011's the HD5000 is faster than the HD 6490M

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5000.91978.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6490M.43843.0.html

The dual core i7 in the 2014 MBA lags behind the quad i7 in the MBP 64 bit multicore tests (6091 vs 8945) but is also much faster in the single core benchmark (3129 vs 2455).

Compared against my 2010 model (4176) or even the 2010 Core i7 model (4808) it's no contest.  The base model 15" MBP got a huge upgrade in 2011.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i7-1.7-13-early-2014-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.0-15-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.53-aluminum-15-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.8-aluminum-15-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

FCP7 doesn't use more than one core although Compressor and obviously FCPX do.  If you're doing ProRes 422 on FCP the 2013/2014 MBA should be faster than the 2011 MBP in most, if not all, scenarios.

As for 13" MBP…I wasn't even considering them.  However an early 2013 Core i5 13" MBP does not compare favorably with the mid 2013 Core i7 MBA in either CPU (5731 vs 6152 64 bit multi) or GPU (HD4000 vs HD5000).  The same gen 13" MBP is a bit faster in both.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.6-13-early-2013-retina-display-specs.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i7-1.7-13-mid-2013-specs.html

Huh…I said 11" MBA didn't I?  Rather than change all the links the CPU is the same (i7-4650U) for both.  The 11" MBA is a seriously powerful little guy.

post #113 of 115
Quote:

"The single threaded performance of the upgraded 13-inch MacBook Air is almost able to equal that of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Anyone underwhelmed by Haswell should keep this in mind. What we're seeing here is a combination of IPC improvements and awesomely aggressive turbo, all within a 15W TDP."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u/2

The 11" and 13" MBA with the 1.7 Ghz i7 are essentially the same.  It is faster than the 13" Core i5 Retina MBP in the iMovie 11 and FCPX Import tests and Lightroom 3 export tests.

"We included in the 2012 MacBook Air with 2.0GHz Dual-Core i7 CPU and Intel HD 4000 GPU. What's the point? If you want a light weight Apple laptop with a 13" screen and don't require a Retina display, you get just as good performance with the Core i7 MacBook Air as you do with the 13" Retina MacBook Pro Core i5 and pay $300 less on the similarly configured model (8G RAM, 256G SSD) --- and save a half a pound on weight."

Barefeats show that the 2012 i7 MBA is on par with the 2012 13" Retina MBP as well.

http://www.barefeats.com/rmbp13.html

post #114 of 115
Quote:

"The single threaded performance of the upgraded 13-inch MacBook Air is almost able to equal that of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Anyone underwhelmed by Haswell should keep this in mind. What we're seeing here is a combination of IPC improvements and awesomely aggressive turbo, all within a 15W TDP."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u/2

The 11" and 13" MBA with the 1.7 Ghz i7 are essentially the same.  It is faster than the 13" Core i5 Retina MBP in the iMovie 11 and FCPX Import tests and Lightroom 3 export tests.

"We included in the 2012 MacBook Air with 2.0GHz Dual-Core i7 CPU and Intel HD 4000 GPU. What's the point? If you want a light weight Apple laptop with a 13" screen and don't require a Retina display, you get just as good performance with the Core i7 MacBook Air as you do with the 13" Retina MacBook Pro Core i5 and pay $300 less on the similarly configured model (8G RAM, 256G SSD) --- and save a half a pound on weight."

Barefeats show that the 2012 i7 MBA is on par with the 2012 13" Retina MBP as well.

http://www.barefeats.com/rmbp13.html

I call BS!

post #115 of 115

I call BS!

It’s BareFeats; there’s no BS to call.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple quietly releases more affordable MacBook Airs starting at $899 [u]