or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Office for iPad updated with support for Apple's AirPrint

Microsoft Office for iPad updated with support for Apple's AirPrint

post #1 of 29
Microsoft's Office for iPad now ties even more tightly into Apple's ecosystem, as the touch-friendly productivity suite has been updated with support for the wireless AirPrint standard, along with a few other new features and assorted bug fixes for Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

The newly announced update to Office for iPad comes just over a month after the software first launched on Apple's popular touchscreen tablet. AirPrint support is now available for all three applications in the Office suite: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

In Word for iPad, users can print a document with or without markup. In Excel, print-outs can come from a selected range, a single worksheet, or an entire spreadsheet.

Individual pages or slides can also be selected to print. And the capability utilizes Apple's AirPrint standard, which means any AirPrint-enabled wireless printer is compatible.

In addition, PowerPoint has also been updated with support for SmartGuides, which help users align pictures, shapes and text boxes as they are moved around on a slide. Microsoft promises that presentations can look "beautifully designed" on iPad with "very little effort."

Excel has also been updated with AutoFit, which lets users adjust the width of multiple rows or the height of multiple columns at the same time. And all three applications have also seen various bug fixes and stability improvements.

Users can view Office documents for free on iPad using Microsoft's applications, though editing capabilities require an Office 365 subscription. The company launched a new $69.99-per-year entry-level plan earlier this month, offering access to the service through one Mac or PC, as well as one iPad.

Downloads of Office for iPad hit 12 million units in the suite's first week of availability. The applications go head-to-head with Apple's own Pages, Numbers and Keynote for iOS.
post #2 of 29

Of course, this could not possibly have been in the initial release. That would have been too difficult.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course, this could not possibly have been in the initial release. That would have been too difficult.

My first reaction was ... "What ...? It didn't already?"
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #4 of 29

Now the only thing missing is a non-subscription version.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #5 of 29

Very close to a COMPLETE state!

post #6 of 29
Quote:

Why and how?

post #7 of 29
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post
Why and how?

Sorry; sarcasm.

post #8 of 29
Now is they would just come up with a subscription level that covers JUST the iPad version of the software, I could actually use these programs.
post #9 of 29
Wasn't there a lot of people who said Microsoft office was too late or not needed - why is everyone downloading it? It seems overpriced too.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Wasn't there a lot of people who said Microsoft office was too late or not needed - why is everyone downloading it? It seems overpriced too.
Habit. The branding of Office on people's minds (in the sense of cattle branding). Curiosity (impulse downloading: it's been hours since I last downloaded an app, let's try this new Office stuff!)
post #11 of 29
Quote:

Downloading was FREE... using it costs money.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And all three applications have also seen various bug fixes and stability improvements.

After being on the market for decades, Microsoft is STILL fixing bugs and trying to stabilize these programs... Just like their OS I suppose.
post #13 of 29
Quote:

Overpriced? The single user version is, but the Home Premium for up to 5 users is a bargain.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #14 of 29
Quote:

The same could be said about Touch ID on the iPad Air

post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Now the only thing missing is a non-subscription version.

Yeah! I signed up for a free trial of the cloud component so i could test/evaluate the MS apps. They were among some of the best things that MS has done on a tablet (better than the Surface equivalent).

But, they were not that much more robust than Apple's free iWork apps -- not nearly enough to pay for a subscription (for my needs).

I cancelled my MS trial.

I believe, had MS done this a year ago, I (and quite a few others) would have purchased the apps for a reasonable price (not a subscription) -- now, from me, they have nothing!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #16 of 29
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
The same could be said about Touch ID on the iPad Air

Unlike TouchID, AirPrint was not omitted due to a physical limit to a number of objects manufacturable.

post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah! I signed up for a free trial of the cloud component so i could test/evaluate the MS apps. They were among some of the best things that MS has done on a tablet (better than the Surface equivalent).

But, they were not that much more robust than Apple's free iWork apps -- not nearly enough to pay for a subscription (for my needs).

I cancelled my MS trial.

I believe, had MS done this a year ago, I (and quite a few others) would have purchased the apps for a reasonable price (not a subscription) -- now, from me, they have nothing!

Indeed. As much as I hate MS, I can acknowledge the importance of native Office apps for strict file compatibility and would easily spend some 30 bucks on that. But subscription-based? Not a chance.
post #18 of 29
A feature that should have been there since day 1. *rolls eyes*

iWork for me -- I am done with MS Office, unless forced by an employer!
post #19 of 29
Quote:

Like MMS? Maybe it wasn't ready.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #20 of 29

I notice that Excel doesn't support print-to-fit. That can be an important consideration for a spreadsheet. Maybe it will come in a future update.

post #21 of 29
Quote:

Maybe it was buggy and they pulled the feature from the RTM build. Given the demand and the fact that it had taken so long already, maybe Microsoft didn't want to wait any longer and decided to release Office for iPad before it was finished. Apple did the same with the iWork applications, making major additions a few weeks after launch.

post #22 of 29
Quote:

Depends what type of user you are. If your a home user then you probably don't need an enterprise level solution but depending where you work can probably get office really cheap on a home use program. If your an organisation a 365 subscription is a similar price to what you would have been paying for licenses anyway, but now has the bonus of ipad apps thrown in too.

I get why people compare it to other apps and think its expensive, but MS's main target market is enterprise and compared to other enterprise software where you could be paying closer to £1000 per user, Office including multiple apps for around £100 a user isn't that badly priced.

post #23 of 29
Quote:

$10/month for five users (that's five PCs/Macs plus five tablets) is actually a great deal. Even if you only bought the cheapest edition of Office, you're looking at $140 per system—and 365 Home comes with Publisher, Outlook, and Access, which only the $400 standalone edition includes. Yes, buying it outright is ultimately cheaper in the long run, but it would take years to recoup the investment (after which the next version will be out).

Obviously, it isn't a perfect match for all use cases (for instance, if you only have one PC), but it's by no means overpriced. For most home use, iWork is probably sufficient (and much cheaper), but if you need to interface with your work at all, odds are pretty good Office is your best bet.

post #24 of 29
So... Office Apps without Edit, Save and Print is like a mobile OS without Copy&Paste.
post #25 of 29
I downloaded all 3 Apps, Word crashed with the first document I opened... I uninstalled them.
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_mac_boy View Post

I downloaded all 3 Apps, Word crashed with the first document I opened... I uninstalled them.

And no other app has ever crashed on you?
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And no other app has ever crashed on you?
You can't uninstall Safari 1wink.gif
post #28 of 29

Right- Apple never updates it initial releases.

As an enterprise user this will now open up my iPad to more than just using it as a hightech View-Master.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #29 of 29
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

As an enterprise user this will now open up my iPad to more than just using it as a hightech View-Master.

Of course, you could have opened it up years ago, but that’s your choice.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft Office for iPad updated with support for Apple's AirPrint
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft Office for iPad updated with support for Apple's AirPrint