or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Survey suggests Apple could sell 15M more iPhones in US with larger 5" display option

Survey suggests Apple could sell 15M more iPhones in US with larger 5" display option - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post

I'm highly confident they will continue to release a 4" iPhone model for years to come. It is the most successful smartphone line ever and continues to grow.

But if they suddenly stopped 4" for some reason, I would just have to adapt to whatever Apple offers. That being said, I would choose a 6" iPhone screen over a 4" Android screen any day.

This is why I think Apple has a compelling reason to drop the 4" altogether looking at it from a business-stance.  They essentially won't lose any existing "4-inch" users, and will only gain "larger screen" users- all while only having to manufacturer and support a single (or 2) sizes instead of 2 (or 3).

I hope that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #42 of 69

If Apple releases a higher resolution, larger screen iPhone this year, I might switch from my HTC One (m7) to that. I mainly switched from the iPhone 4S to the HTC One because of the display size and resolution (the 5/5S/5C line did not interest me).

post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A couple years ago this could have been your comment...

Well, thank you for trying to speak for me, but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Remember that Apple has been shipping larger screens on an iOS-based device for a long time so instead of assuming that Apple will simply slap a display slightly smaller than the iPad mini display and call it an iPhone perhaps you should look at what differences Apple might bring to the table and what aspects of usability appeal to Apple in this space.

Sometimes even Apple needs to address current consumer demands.  If people are walking into an AT&T store and choosing a crappy Samsung smartphone over an iPhone simply because it has a larger screen (and they are), that's a serious problem.  And it's a problem Apple should have attacked 2 years ago with more than just an upgrade from 3.5" to 4".

FEAR GOOGLE
FEAR GOOGLE
post #44 of 69
I think this is more of added sales, not increase as the decrease from current buyers will drop this.
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post

Well, thank you for trying to speak for me, but no.

Yes, that is the sort of thing we saw from the moment the first LTE chips were in an Android-based device until Apple announced the iPhone 5 in 2012. After the iPhone 5 was announce it was then stated that Apple was simply copying others. Can't you see how the technology wasn't ready before that point to satisfy Apple's needs?
Quote:
Sometimes even Apple needs to address current consumer demands.

Which they do all the time. A sudden trend in netbooks doesn't mean Apple should produce a $300 10" Atom-based notebook no matter how many millions of people are buying netbooks. Can't you see how that was not a good product?
Quote:
If people are walking into an AT&T store and choosing a crappy Samsung smartphone over an iPhone simply because it has a larger screen (and they are), that's a serious problem.  And it's a problem Apple should have attacked 2 years ago with more than just an upgrade from 3.5" to 4".

1) Apple attacks problems all the time but saying they "should have" done this or that sounds ridiculous coming from anyone that doesn't run a more successful tech company… which is nobody.

2) There will always be people buying a different product but that doesn't mean Apple should waste money going after them. What is the benefit of going after $300 desktop PCs when there is no profit in it for Apple and would likely cause irreputable harm to their Mac brand? Instead, why not create a product that works for a market that is sustainable for long time? Why not, ya' know, do what Apple actually does that has led them to excel in the PC, PMP, smartphone, digital media appliance, and tablet markets where they dominate.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #46 of 69
Quote:

Baloney. I see these larger screen devices popping up all over here in the US. I''ve heard people say they chose an Android device over an iPhone based solely on screen size. This is not a Chinese consumer phenomenon. Or did you not even read the original story above?

Well be sure to add your anecdotes and observations to the "research" survey in the article. They can always use more ammunition to force Apple to see it their way.

post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

I wish the bigger screen comes out…that way all this talk of iPhone small screen blah, blah will cease forever.

Lets get back to whats really going on here.... Apple's superior iOS Ecosystem and drop dead gorgeous hardware.

It just means the haters will select one of the standard attack vectors:

1. Walled gardens, blah, blah
2. Too expensive
3. Customization boogeyman
4. 64- bit is fake/not needed/marketing
5. iOS 7 sucks
6. Apple is losing the megapixel war
7. Obsession with thinness
8. Lightning connector = Apple tax
9. Antennagate
10. Two-handed phablet screen

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #48 of 69

Most people who say "I'd buy an iPhone if it had a bigger screen" are mainly Android owners making up an excuse why they didn't buy an iPhone instead of just admitting they couldn't afford one or they made a mistake.

When Apple bow to pressure (because Jobs isn't there to say no), these "must have a big screen" people will just move on to another excuse as to why they won't buy one.

post #49 of 69
Quote:

Oh please. So you're implying the only reason Apple hasn't dabbled in larger iPhome screen sizes is because of manufacturer limitations? Despite the fact every Android device maker on the planet has been shipping larger screened devices for years?

Riiiight.

How did I know you would jerk your knee that way . . .

I'll try to make it simple for you. When Apple releases a larger phone, they need 30 million screens or so. It has to be LTPS or IGZO. Apple was already using 70% of the world's supply of LTPS screens with their iPhones. No supply for a new phone till 2014. No IGZO at all.

The Android mfg's are using Apple's leftovers. Get it?
Edited by Flaneur - 4/30/14 at 2:56pm
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A couple years ago this could have been your comment...
Remember that Apple has been shipping larger screens on an iOS-based device for a long time so instead of assuming that Apple will simply slap a display slightly smaller than the iPad mini display and call it an iPhone perhaps you should look at what differences Apple might bring to the table and what aspects of usability appeal to Apple in this space.

Thanks for the meme-eries!
post #51 of 69

It will be interesting to see how Cook spins that Apple innovated this.

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Like I said in the other thread when you expressed your beFUDdlement, you should know by now, because you have been TOLD so many times that it is a matter of high-efficiency, high-density screen supply, either LTPS or IGZO.

You look to be either hopelessly dense or a shameless crypto troll. I lean toward the latter.
And you know this how? I don't remember Tim Cook or anyone else at Apple saying this. What they said when the 5 came out was they made the phone taller but not wider so it was easy to use one handed. If the reason is so obvious why are so many wondering where the larger screen device is? And as far as competitors using Apple's leftovers...um display mate recently said the GS5 has the best display on the market. Read just about any review of a new flagship high end Android device and the display gets very high marks.
Edited by Rogifan - 4/30/14 at 6:33pm
post #53 of 69
Quote:

Oh please. So you're implying the only reason Apple hasn't dabbled in larger iPhome screen sizes is because of manufacturer limitations? Despite the fact every Android device maker on the planet has been shipping larger screened devices for years?

Riiiight.
Apparently they all use inferior technology (even though display mate said the GS5 has the best display on the market right now). But what do I know, since I'm just a troll. 1biggrin.gif
post #54 of 69
Quote:

If people are walking into an AT&T store and choosing a crappy Samsung smartphone over an iPhone simply because it has a larger screen (and they are), that's a serious problem.  And it's a problem Apple should have attacked 2 years ago with more than just an upgrade from 3.5" to 4".

Did you not see recent sales figures? It's not much of a problem as you think it is. You're the type that wants Apple to be the only company that sells smartphones.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #55 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Most people who say "I'd buy an iPhone if it had a bigger screen" are mainly Android owners making up an excuse why they didn't buy an iPhone instead of just admitting they couldn't afford one or they made a mistake.

When Apple bow to pressure (because Jobs isn't there to say no), these "must have a big screen" people will just move on to another excuse as to why they won't buy one.

Wrong. Many of them once owned iPhones and want to go back but won't until there's a bigger screen. I know, and have met quite a few previous iPhone lifers that switched to the Note 3.
post #56 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apparently they all use inferior technology (even though display mate said the GS5 has the best display on the market right now). But what do I know, since I'm just a troll. 1biggrin.gif

Does DisplayMate measure all aspects of a display? Does DisplayMate all aspects of a device? If not, then it's not a good measure as one of the biggest problems with other OEMs is that they unfortunately focus on one thing (especially if it's easily quantifiable) while ignoring other aspects that affect usability.

post #57 of 69

**** these "surveys". Anyone remember this?

http://readwrite.com/2013/02/04/200-million-workers-want-windows-8-tablets-not-ipads#awesm=~oCYVkvNtYie0m8

Yeah, how did that work out? I remember all the fear-mongering and proclamations of doom for the iPad before the Surface was released- so many stories like this. There's always something just around the corner that's going to **** over Apple. Except- it never happens. 

post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And you know this how? I don't remember Tim Cook or anyone else at Apple saying this. What they said when the 5 came out was they made the phone taller but not wider so it was easy to use one handed. If the reason is so obvious why are so many wondering where the larger screen device is? And as far as competitors using Apple's leftovers...um display mate recently said the GS5 has the best display on the market. Read just about any review of a new flagship high end Android device and the display gets very high marks.

You're going to have to actually think and connect dots, so start with the old LTPS supply problem and see how far you can go:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/29/apples_next_iphone_expected_to_consume_70_of_high_res_ltps_screen_supply

Yes, the GS5 is said to have a good display, but if you think Apple is going to beg Samsung for 50 million AMOLED screens then you have no business commenting here at all. Ever.
post #59 of 69
It my estimation, because of second and third tier potential clients, the idea of phasing out the 4" and the 3.5" is laughable for the next several years. Folks in less affluent nations will be entering iOS though both size phones for some time to come.
post #60 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

They'd probably moan about the price.

I am proud of Apple that they did not give in on the netbook trend. Instead they created a new category: the iPad. Let's hope they do the same for the phablet (= 5+" devices). The pressure to release a phablet is getting enormous though …

post #61 of 69
I still believe 4.7" is quite appropriate if Apple wants to target 1 size iPhone only. If Apple wants to keep 2 screen sizes in a long run, 4.5" and 5" would be ideal.
I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosedaddy View Post

One of the reasons the iPhone has been so successful is apps, and a huge reason why iPhone apps have been so successful is that Apple doesn't jerk developers around by having a ton of different screen sizes that developers need to support - just 2: iPhone/iPod-touch, and iPad (iPad mini and iPad are the same aspect ratio - iPad mini is the same UI slightly shrunk).

When they shifted to the iPhone 5, they made a big point of saying that this was the size they were going to stay at for a long time, and I think they will be true to that and keep to the current size.
With Apple's large customer base, every developer doesn't mind to optimize apps to accomodate new screen size. More customers, more money!
post #63 of 69

Is there ANY product in any product market, product category, or industry that gets as much unsolicited "free business advice" from industry pundits and experts as Apple's iPhone? 

Step back and think about the massive waste of time, money, and human capital that this represents. The iPhone and Apple in particular are tremendously successful and seem to be doing quite well one their own. Heck, I think Apple is probably the one company in the world that obviously would be best served to just keep following whatever strategy and execution models they currently have in place. It kinda seems to be working, don't you think? Did they post a plea for help or issue an SOS? 

At the same time there are thousands of other industries, companies, and multitudes of products and services that are simply dying a slow death and struggling. Think health care, food & water safety, crime prevention, universal Internet access, or everyone's favorite - global warming. Now those are areas that are ripe for bringing in all these "big thinkers" and trying to plug some of the holes would deliver tangible value. Heck, just getting some of the companies in other industries from the "sucks really badly" level to the "sucks but not too badly" level would have a profound positive impact on the quality of life of millions. 

The perverse fascination with telling the #1 most valuable company in the world what they should be thinking and doing is kind of absurd within the scope of reality. In fact it's become just another "fantasy league sport" for the couch and cubicle dwelling masses to vicariously live outside of their own limited personal experiences. Hey, I'm totally cool with this at the level of hobby/fan sites like AI, but to see industry professionals,  pundits, and credentialed business people engaged and obsessed at the levels they are engaging, and to observe that they seriously believe they are in a position to steer Apple in the "right direction" is borderline crazy - unless they are still operating strictly within the realm of fantasy.

post #64 of 69

I'm not keen for a larger iPhone, but I might purchase one for my younger brother who doesn't have access to low cost internet so that he can watch Netflix and Hulu and get basic internet service via Sprint Unlimited.

Would that my LTE iPad Air be considered by Sprint a smartphone and I would be dumping my landline and very slow DSL, albeit I would want to have a better tethering plan than what they offer.

post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I already guarantee you don't. I'm sure you hold it with one hand, as I do. But as soon as the index finger from your other hand comes up, you're argument fails.

Am I authorized to say that maybe I know more about my own behaviors than you do?

I use it with two hands from time to time, but I often use it with just one hand while walking, with the other hand in my pocket, and I like that.

My argument doesn't fail because I can use a small screen with one or two hands, but I can't use a big screen with one hand only.

post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post

The only time I use my index finger is if I go into landscape mode to read a specific webpage format or type a long message but that is rare. I hate anything but my one thumb to operate just a little more than I love a big screen. This is why I am happy with 4" and might never go above that size. So I will really need to evaluate a new, larger iPhone at the Apple store. It's the only way to really know.

Same here. I will judge in the store.

post #67 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

With Apple's large customer base, every developer doesn't mind to optimize apps to accomodate new screen size. More customers, more money!

That works in theory but talk to any developer. To do it right takes weeks or months (depending upon graphical complexity of app) of their best programmers and testing on yet another device size. Even the big developers do not want to waste time optimizing for screen size. It's probably the single biggest reason for the quality discrepancy between Android tablet apps and iPad apps. I'm sure it will become an issue for iPhone if many sizes are needed for that too.

post #68 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Not spin, but the iPhone 6 will be one of the most one handed friendly phones ever made out the box, and certainly easier on the hands than 99% of the android phones out there of similar size.

1: It's thin, so you won't need as big of a grip or stretch as often

2: control center puts many toggles and settings on the lower part of the screen so you don't have to reach

3: Gestures make navigating easier without reaching for in app controls

No android phone outside of the Galaxy S5 and Note 3 makes an effort to preserve one-handed use. 99% of android phones are pretty rough on one-handed use.

post #69 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

What's truly weird is your limited view of how innovation works. I wonder if you actually think a larger display is innovation in and of itself (despite Apple having used much larger displays for It's entire existence) or if you are just trolling.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Survey suggests Apple could sell 15M more iPhones in US with larger 5" display option
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Survey suggests Apple could sell 15M more iPhones in US with larger 5" display option