or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils standalone iOS apps for editing Google Docs, Sheets & Slides

Google unveils standalone iOS apps for editing Google Docs, Sheets & Slides

post #1 of 84
Internet search giant Google on Wednesday announced a trio of new native mobile applications on Apple's App Store that will allow iOS users to edit and create Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides from their mobile device.

In addition to creating new documents and editing existing ones, users will also be able to employ the suite's popular collaborative editing features. Google also enabled local caching for offline editing, and changes are automatically saved as users type.

Until now, the Drive app was the only first-party native solution for accessing Google Docs on smartphones or tablets. Google says the new apps are a response to a growing trend that has seen users turn to those devices more often, which has sparked a desire for more robust options.

"Every year, phones and tablets get better, and more of you are starting to use your mobile devices not just to view, but also to create and edit content," Google product manager Brian LeVee wrote in a blog post announcing the move. "And while the Drive app is a convenient place to store your stuff, we want to make it easier for you to quickly find, edit and create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on the go."

The apps' development may have also been spurred by Microsoft's decision to bring its Office 365 suite to the iPad, leaving Google's offerings in third place behind Apple's iWork suite and Office. Though Office was released only recently, whispers of Microsoft's imminent entry began to appear last fall.

Docs and Sheets are available now on the App Store as free universal downloads,?with Docs clocking in at 19.9 megabytes and Sheets a heftier 41.7 megabytes. The Slides app is said to be "coming soon."
post #2 of 84

On iWork.  And, deputy-in-charge-app MSOffice. No thanks Google!

Edited by Chandra69 - 4/30/14 at 12:36pm
post #3 of 84

I'd rather use iWork....

post #4 of 84
Google is getting scared. Now that MS is on iOS you'll see the majority switch to it or iWorks.

Google is on the way down and they know it.
post #5 of 84

GooGoo, no matter what you put out there, I'm not using it. 

post #6 of 84
Google knows where the users are. /S

Edited: forgot the sarcasm tag.
Edited by EricTheHalfBee - 4/30/14 at 11:47am

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #7 of 84
I like how Google has no fucking clue what direction to go in. They first removed these apps and consolidated everything into Google Drive. Now, they're bringing them back. I guess the Office thing motivated it. Oh well, competition is good.
post #8 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I like how Google has no fucking clue what direction to go in. They first removed these apps and consolidated everything into Google Drive. Now, they're bringing them back. I guess the Office thing motivated it. Oh well, competition is good.

No kidding. And they also have QuickOffice that they acquired. They're all over the place.

post #9 of 84

I agree goog is all over the place, but unfortunately, this disruptive functionality will be popular for the masses. The mainstream love google docs, gmail, etc. This is good for google, good for mobile users (of all platforms) but bad for MS mobile. I'm not saying that Office/iWork is not better, just saying that the masses prefer google docs.

post #10 of 84
Quote:

they are learning that consolidation only makes Android users happy.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #11 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

I agree goog is all over the place, but unfortunately, this disruptive functionality will be popular for the masses. The mainstream love google docs, gmail, etc. This is good for google, good for mobile users (of all platforms) but bad for MS mobile. I'm not saying that Office/iWork is not better, just saying that the masses prefer google docs.

I think the term you are long for is disruptive technology.  Not sure many would find disruptive functionality appealing.  That is what Google has been doing of late. They take something that works and then they break the functionality.

As much as I dislike MS, I am pretty sure Office has both Google Docs and iWorks beat in terms of users. 

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree unless we can up with some statistics.

post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Quote:

No kidding. And they also have QuickOffice that they acquired. They're all over the place.

when they get a clue, its too late and they tick off users when they attempt to changes things to get them to point in common direction through consolidation. 

post #13 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

Google is getting scared. Now that MS is on iOS you'll see the majority switch to it or iWorks.

a.k.a. "Google is Doomed"
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #14 of 84

I enjoy the competition. Microsoft is probably more scared by this than Apple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 84

Didn't Google say something like the future all applications would be browser based on the web? Quite the about face.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Microsoft... no.   Samsung... yes.  Google has no allies, only sources for eyeballs.

While this is a copy of Microsoft's play,  they are going against 2 different installed bases.

This is google realizing that you _may_ buy a chrome book, but it's likely you'll have an iPad or an iPhone,  and if they have to compete with iWork they will eventually lose (single ecosystem).   Better to keep a toe hold on users across browsers and platforms, until they figure out a winning play

to monetize writing a presentation on an iPad.

Apple, they want to be the App Store for everyone.    

post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'd rather use iWork....

Bingo, bro! 1smile.gif
post #18 of 84
Quote:

The Masses :
Google ? Oh, I Remember There EXISTED SUCH COMPANY BEFORE !
post #19 of 84
Quote:

Thats because Apple was never good in Office Suites and Microsoft's big share is there. So Apple does not care. And it is meaningful if MS gets scared of.

post #20 of 84
I just updated my resume on my iPhone using Pages. Emailed (PDF) to potential employer. All from my iPhone while having coffee at "fourbucks"! 1smile.gif I love Apple!
post #21 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post

a.k.a. "Google is Doomed"

I think the point is that Google support on iOS has always been lacking.  Now that iWorks and MS Office has gain popularity, I think Google is concerned that they will lose relevance on iOS.   So is Google Doomed on iOS?  They sure are acting like they are worried about it. 

The G+ mass integration (vaporization) effort hasn't helped either. Google was caught with their pants down and are scrambling to fix things, without any clear path of execution from what I can tell. I guess you could compare this to .Mac or Ping, but on a larger scale.

post #22 of 84
Quote:

I doubt Apple even cares, because they just want to sell more hardware.

Whether people use iWorks or not isn't really their priority. 

post #23 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I just updated my resume on my iPhone using Pages. Emailed (PDF) to potential employer. All from my iPhone while having coffee at "fourbucks"! 1smile.gif I love Apple!

Did a collaboration project a few weeks ago with Keynote (iCloud and Mac) with people from 3 different continents using our corporate PPT template as a basis (imported).   It went remarkably smooth compared to past efforts with Google Docs.  Will definitely do more with iWork in the cloud. 

post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Did a collaboration project a few weeks ago with Keynote (iCloud and Mac) with people from 3 different continents using our corporate PPT template as a basis (imported).   It went remarkably smooth compared to past efforts with Google Docs.  Will definitely do more with iWork in the cloud. 

Nice. Haven't had a chance to do anything like that yet. I may have to make up a project. :D

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

Quote:

I doubt Apple even cares, because they just want to sell more hardware.

Whether people use iWorks or not isn't really their priority. 

Apple cares.  While its all good for Apple, it even better for Apple if people are dependent on iCloud for their document storage than Google or Microsoft. 

I do think Google and Microsoft are at each other's throats of late.   Skype vs Hangouts, Office vs Docs. Entertaining for sure.   Wonder how long before Microsoft attempts social media. 

post #26 of 84
Quote:

I think the point is that Google support on iOS has always been lacking.  Now that iWorks and MS Office has gain popularity, I think Google is concerned that they will lose relevance on iOS.   So is Google Doomed on iOS?  They sure are acting like they are worried about it. 
The G+ mass integration (vaporization) effort hasn't helped either. Google was caught with their pants down and are scrambling to fix things, without any clear path of execution from what I can tell. I guess you could compare this to .Mac or Ping, but on a larger scale.

Google support of iOS has never been lacking. Hell you're more likely to get an update of an iOS Google app before Android.

The only thing they sorta held back on was maps because they wanted a better deal ( branding and the now dead latitude as an opt in attached to the app)

Other than that where has their support been perceptively lacking?
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAmazingThing View Post

Quote:

Google support of iOS has never been lacking. Hell you're more likely to get an update of an iOS Google app before Android.

The only thing they sorta held back on was maps because they wanted a better deal ( branding and the now dead latitude as an opt in attached to the app)

Google Voice has been lacking from day 1.

post #28 of 84
Quote:

Google knows where their bread is buttered.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 84
Quote:

how so? (Genuinely curious as I haven't used it on iOS)

To be fair GVoice on Android feels like abandonware lol
post #30 of 84
Quote:

Google knows where their bread is buttered.

This war doesn't extend to Google workers. Hell they overwhelmingly use macbooks. Even on their keynotes.
post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Didn't Google say something like the future all applications would be browser based on the web? Quite the about face.

I personally think that this is still the future. Unfortunately for Google they were way too early to the show. The tech isn't quite there nor are the masses (who still think in using a particular program for a particular task.) I'd be hard pressed not to think that at some point in the fairly near future (7-20 years) it will be browser based... or as I like to think of it, the portal to finding and manipulating information.

OT - I think that the new wolfram alpha language is going to help pave the way towards something like this.

post #32 of 84
Quote:

Impressive, snova! Good to hear! 1smile.gif

Best
post #33 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Google strikes me as an overly-caffienated child in a technological candy/toy store ... They run screaming towards whatever "teh new shiney" is and play with/engorge themselves until the next thing grabs their attention. I picture the dog in "Up!" who kept thinking he saw a squirrel ... Lack of focus beyond their core strength - ad-supported search. What was it Steve Jobs said, the hardest thing to know is when to say "No..."

post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think this illustrates exactly why a larger iPhone is not such a terrible idea for a lot of users. (slightly off topic)

Google offers one product which is nothing short of awesome - Google Forms. For quick on the go data entry. To create a form takes minutes. It is limited (no hidden fields, for instance) but very usable. The results are instant in a gouge sheet (copy paste to spreadsheet of your choice)

post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I think this illustrates exactly why a larger iPhone is not such a terrible idea for a lot of users. (slightly off topic)

Google offers one product which is nothing short of awesome - Google Forms. For quick on the go data entry. To create a form takes minutes. It is limited (no hidden fields, for instance) but very usable. The results are instant in a gouge sheet (copy paste to spreadsheet of your choice)

I hear u pax. I made a typo in the cover email
I sent with "mi" resume. It's on me for not proofing better. I'll be looking at the larger iPhone instead of getting an iPad mini.

Best
post #36 of 84
Quote:

Quote:

how so? (Genuinely curious as I haven't used it on iOS)

To be fair GVoice on Android feels like abandonware lol

the reviews  at the iTunes store pretty much summarize the problems. Currently sitting at 1.5 stars average.  Most people had switched over to third party solutions.   Now Google wants to stop using the open protocol used by Google Voice and elling people to stop using third party apps because they intend to shut down the open protocol on May 15th.   They are using "security" as an excuse for going from "Open" to "Closed".  Later they say they will go back to "Open" if Skype also goes to "Open" and that it had less to do with security and more to do with Microsoft using Google Voice and Google Chat services without using Google's client..  hmmm... something doesn't add up here for reason to go from "Open" to  "Closed".

Do No Evil.   They can frankly do what they want, its their company... but this sounds a bit hypocritical. 

Edited by snova - 4/30/14 at 2:07pm
post #37 of 84
Quote:

The "masses" don't use stand alone word processors anymore, they are now a niche application.  Printer sales are way down too, funny how that works. MS and Google are just fighting over last decade's scraps.

post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Quote:

The "masses" don't use stand alone word processors anymore, they are now a niche application.  Printer sales are way down too, funny how that works. MS and Google are just fighting over last decade's scraps.

data to back up your statement? or is this speculation?

standalone apps are not gonna go away any time soon. The storage may be cloud based, but given using a browser or an app which uses the cloud for data store, I for one will pick app every time. 

lack of printer sales doesn't have much to do with standalone app vs not.    emailing of docs and cloud storage has replaced printed copy of most.  When was the last time you got a printed "memo" at your employer? However, I'm pretty sure most people received these "memos" in their inbox at work using a standalone email app on PC, Mac or SmartPhone vs. a browser.  

post #39 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Google strikes me as an overly-caffienated child in a technological candy/toy store ... They run screaming towards whatever "teh new shiney" is and play with/engorge themselves until the next thing grabs their attention. I picture the dog in "Up!" who kept thinking he saw a squirrel ... Lack of focus beyond their core strength - ad-supported search. What was it Steve Jobs said, the hardest thing to know is when to say "No..."

Agree and further... They've really only ever been a severely overvalued website.  

Their ad business is going on the ropes, the whole analytics thing has always been mostly hype.  Big advertisers are slowly realizing that search is terrible ad space, and the personal demographics, however private, are worthless to generating mind share and brand awareness.  

post #40 of 84
Quote:

data to back up your statement? or is this speculation?

:rolleyes: Do your own research or not.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google unveils standalone iOS apps for editing Google Docs, Sheets & Slides
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google unveils standalone iOS apps for editing Google Docs, Sheets & Slides