or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC

Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC - Page 2

post #41 of 119

You think they would be tired of this by now. Stop trying to out do Apple, stop trying to jump in front of what you think Apple is going to do. Do what Samsung do. Oh wait, that is what Samsung do.

post #42 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Samsung is an embarrassing company.

They aren't like Wayne Gretzky: skating to where the puck will be.

They instead try to go to where they guess Wayne Gretzky is going without even seeing the puck.

All I can think of is Jimmy Paek whenever I read this...

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #43 of 119
I have to give Samedung credit. They already succeeded... at looking desperate.
post #44 of 119

It really does not matter what, when and how Samsung does this.  Apple will roll their solution out that a appeals to the masses like they always have.  It will be tied into the iTunes eco system which is the foundation for everything Apple does.  This is why Apple never needs to be first to release.

post #45 of 119
It's hard for an industrial behemoth like Samsung to create an image of being cool (as defined by outsider status). Like your dad using current hip-hop slang which just makes him seem a little ridiculous. Apple, while big, is much more narrowly focused, thus seeming like the David in this fight. Thanks, Samsung, for unwittingly being the new Microsoft for Apple to play off of.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #46 of 119
I heard a rumor that Apple is entering the Zamboni market and will make a big splash with the NHL...better get on this one, Samsung!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #47 of 119
Samsung do refrigerators. "We OWN you, Apple, in kitchen appliances!"
post #48 of 119
Why did this web page auto-open the App Store to some game on my iPhone. Is that some form of advertising or is it a glitch on my phone?
post #49 of 119

Back before the iPod there were MP3 players on the market.  Before the iPhone there were phones that purported to surf the web, or was that the WAP?  Lol!  And before the iPad there were tablets, mostly being used in warehouses to count inventory.  Apple has this nasty habit of releasing products, second, third, a year late, two years late, and too expensive for some people's taste.  But once those Apple products arrive, it seems everything that had come before is soon forgotten.  This time will be no different.

I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
I have enough money to last the rest of my life. Unless I buy something. - Jackie Mason
post #50 of 119
Originally Posted by NostraThomas View Post
Why did this web page auto-open the App Store to some game on my iPhone. Is that some form of advertising or is it a glitch on my phone?

There are ads that tear you out of Safari with a forced iTunes link, but they seem to only work on mobile devices.

Report it to Kasper and hopefully he’ll get rid of it.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #51 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Upstage Apple like with there dumb watch! LOL! Apple is going to make them look pitiful with the products they release. And after Apple does release its own stuff you watch within 6 months you will see a total redesign of Samsung's products that will look exactly like Apple's.
Just like after the iPhone came out there were none with touch displays, after Apple though everyones went to touch displays, well except maybe Blackberry which ignored there doom until it was to late.

Hah! I can't wait for another DED Before/After graphic.

His one on Samsung phones before/after the iPhone is a classic.

post #52 of 119
So how many health related patents has Samsung come up with? How many medical engineers and doctors have they hired? Oh wait, they don't have to...
post #53 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Frankly, it has turned me off to all South Korean products

South Korea isn't all bad (some NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdma5UiMaEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bUzIlrzLHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6_ZPnCIel0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9CALKOvAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0 (1.9 billion views)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASO_zypdnsQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskatt2 
They aren't like Wayne Gretzky: skating to where the puck will be.

They instead try to go to where they guess Wayne Gretzky is going without even seeing the puck.

And they try to be everywhere to cover all possibilities. It's possible to get a hit that way but as their attempt at a fingerprint sensor and watch showed, if you don't do it right then it doesn't have the same impact.

Samsung makes good components - display panels, SSDs, CPUs, memory, which is why Apple uses them but they are shameless about copying product ideas.
post #54 of 119
What, is Samsung gonna update their shitty watch AGAIN? They already have like 3 versions, plus that shitty bracelet thing. Why can't they release something good initially, instead of spamming the industry with an updated version every couple months? All this shit does is turn consumers off these products, and decreases their trust with technology.
post #55 of 119
"A conversation around health" is the least sexy sounding thing ever! It sounds like I am tuning into a round table discussion about generalized health topics.

Whoever wrote and approved that needs to work in their skills. You want to excite tantalize and entice not turn off people.

Samsung is a great manufacturer and sales company. Why can't they just hire away Apple employees or other people to think of their own new awesome products?

Whether or not it's justified their reputation is overwheingly that of a copy cat who increasingly copies the cool kid in order to be popular.

5S and S5? Really?
post #56 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

"A conversation around health" is the least sexy sounding thing ever! It sounds like I am tuning into a round table discussion about generalized health topics.

Whoever wrote and approved that needs to work in their skills. You want to excite tantalize and entice not turn off people.

Who wrote it?  Samsung did- duh.  Just a copy of "Let's talk iPhone" or the numerous one-liner invites Apple has done throughout the years.

But in typical Samsung fashion, it doesn't come close to being as well executed as Apple.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #57 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

All this does is confirm Apple is still the top dog, the one to beat, the one people pay attention to. That Samsung feels it just has to announce something to upstage Apple says it all, that they’re the also-ran, not the one the industry follows, not the one people look to for leadership.

Agreed. 100%

post #58 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Samsung do refrigerators. "We OWN you, Apple, in kitchen appliances!"

If they got their act together, building an IoT's in the home is a good thing.   I can think of some coolness... "Do I have beer in the fridge?"   And a PTZ camera scans your fridge for beer.   From your phone, tablet, tv... "Is my laundry load done?  is are the clothes in the dryer dry?"  These are things Samsung 'could' integrate into their world.... but because they are 10 different companies, not gonna happen.

But that would take more than 24 months of planning, and in most companies, thinking 9 months ahead on product is a death sentence.

It's like AirPlay for Apple.  it took 2 years for that to evolve around the product set.   Probably 2 more years for it to refine.   Buy then, advices and Apple TV are 4-8X more powerful, 'ac' networking is fully fleshed out (10x more network), I can see iBeacon technology moving into the home, and the functionality becomes ubiquity.   

Ob Health thing... you walk by your kitchen cabinet at 8am.   Your phone 'reminds' you to take your meds.  You walk away... It BEEPS you to GET BACK and TAKE YOUR MEDS.... (basically reminders plus iBeacon).  If you don't, you get a call from your 'Nice Nurse' who calls you and reminds you to take your meds...   and that friendly voice is heeded ("I like that nurse.... she always calls me and checks up on me").   In a future world, the med bottle is iConnected, as is a monitor to see if your BP, HR, hopefully even drug blood levels are within norms.     as 20-40 somethings we think this is silly... but taking care of my MiL, that was exactly the sort of thing that pushed her to full care (forgetting to take her meds).  So now insurance/medicare are paying parts of 18,000/year for effectively someone to remind her to take her pills and eat.   Something that could have been delayed for 3-5 years.

An App.  iBeacon, an FDA approved app.  something on the skin monitoring her (iWatch? or something an iDevice talks to).  Probably $200 in cost Insurance companies/gov't pay for it ($200 vs $18,000...), because it reduces acute care demands dramatically.   multiple by 500 million people in Europe and US who fall under socialized medicine are over 60 years old.   Looks to me about a 10-15B a year market.   

Can Samsung do that?

post #59 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

The invitation looks very dull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I agree. Very poor design for an invitation or even an ad. All black background is awful, especially if your topic is health related, you would want to have a bright, clean, sanitary look. Then there is the all caps, set solid headline, very ugly. The wavy stuff at the bottom might look ok on white but simply extra crap on the page just for decoration, useless. Formal invitation to follow - what a joke. The whole style of the artwork is dreadful. What is wrong with them? They should have just copied Apple's invitations.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #60 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Truly embarrassing company.

Almost like this is a game to them....one I hope they lose very badly. I wonder if they lose this case if they'll be like they are now or if they'll put their tail between their legs and no longer do these things?

I don't really know what they're going to get out of this anyways. As soon as WWDC happens and Apple announces their stuff, everyone will forget what Samsung did a week prior to WWDC. Microsoft used to do this all the time too and it never worked so I'm not sure why Samsung will think it works for them. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #61 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What, is Samsung gonna update their shitty watch AGAIN? They already have like 3 versions, plus that shitty bracelet thing. Why can't they release something good initially, instead of spamming the industry with an updated version every couple months? All this shit does is turn consumers off these products, and decreases their trust with technology.

Hey, don't knock it. Samsung is updating it will Health features !

I'm thinking - a stopwatch (with alarm)
A pedometer with gps (so you know how far you have walked.)
A calculator (for working out health related math)
A torch (for nighttime jogging)
A fully touch based screen ( for viewing heathy websites - very small)
Waterproof for swimming, surfing etc.
A camera for those exciting 'surfing action' stills.
Tough plastic case for danger sports, rock climbing, base jumping etc.

I'm sure there is more those Samsung genius' have thought of, the sky is the limit!
Apple must be quaking right now !
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
post #62 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..

There wouldn't be a Samsung watch or any of these health things if the rumours about Apple making a watch with sensors combining with healthbook on the iPhone didn't come out. Samsung do a lot of "releasing stuff first" off the back of what they hear other companies are planning to do.

Apple don't rush crap to market like Samsung. They release it when it's right.

post #63 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

But in typical Samsung fashion, it doesn't come close to being as well executed as Apple.

Looks like a typical situation common in Asian corporate structure. Graphic artists being managed by engineers with no formal training or experience in communication arts. You show them a couple comps and they always pick the ugliest one and then decide that it needs to be even uglier. "I like the third design but make the background black and the headline all caps. We need it to POP!!!"

post #64 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Looks like a typical situation common in Asian corporate structure. Graphic artists being managed by engineers with no formal training or experience in communication arts. You show them a couple comps and they always pick the ugliest one and then decide that it needs to be even uglier. "I like the third design but make the background black and the headline all caps. We need it to POP!!!"

Asian corporate structure ?
Graphic designers and artists know that experience the world over !
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
Grocery Stores FEAR Him
post #65 of 119
Samsung could't upstage Big Top Pee-Wee (Pee Wee Herman) if it tried.
post #66 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NostraThomas View Post

You probably tapped on a ad at the bottom unknowingly.

post #67 of 119
post #68 of 119
How dare they attempt to upstage Apple's magical, revolutionary, and incredible event? Embarrassing....
post #69 of 119
"Whatever..." -- Everyone.
post #70 of 119

And the new conversation is: Samsung is sick

post #71 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I love my apple gadgets and frankly hate the samsung junk, but frankly it's a bit rich of Apple folk to say Samsung wants to jump the gun on Apple's health stuff, given that they were first with the health app, and the various hardware health monitors. Sure, i know the pulse thing is complete gimmick as it does nothing more than an app and the normal camera, but given that Apple hasnt announced anything at this point, many could argue Apple is copying Samsung..

You're joking right? Apple has been in this so called health market for many years. Nike+iPod was a collaboration between Apple and Nike and has been built into Apple's devices since 2006. Furthermore, Apple has been hiring people in the health monitoring industry for years, how could they possibly be copying Samsung when Samsung has only recently entered this market a couple of months ago?

You'd have to be blind or just ignorant not to see all the things Samsung has done previously that follow directly in Apple's footsteps - even if Apple hasn't walked down that path Samsung is constantly running in the same direction trying to get there first. It is blatantly obvious that Samsung has Apple envy. Their entire marketing focus is geared towards bashing Apple. Everything they do is a direct response to something that Apple MIGHT do. This isn't just speculation either, there are documents proving that Samsung has been focused on chasing Apple.

Edited by mjtomlin - 5/2/14 at 10:56am
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #72 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

You're joking right? Apple has been in this so called health market for many years. Nike+iPod was a collaboration between Apple and Nike and has been built into Apple's devices since 2006. Furthermore, Apple has been hiring people in the health monitoring industry for years, how could they possibly be copying Samsung when Samsung has only recently entered this market a couple of months ago?

You'd have to be blind or just ignorant not to see all the things Samsung has done previously that follow directly in Apple's footsteps - even if Apple hasn't walked down that path Samsung is constantly running in the same direction trying to get there first. It is blatantly obvious that Samsung has Apple envy. Their entire marketing focus is geared towards bashing Apple. Everything they do is a direct response to something that Apple MIGHT do. This isn't just speculation either, there are documents proving that Samsung has been focused on chasing Apple.

You realize that Samsung has an entire division for healthcare that's been around for a very long time. They make medical equipment such as 

Digital Radiography, Ultrasound and In-vitro Diagnostics and much more. So they have some idea about the health market. Apple is not the only company in the world to do health anything. 

post #73 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

You realize that Samsung has an entire division for healthcare that's been around for a very long time. They make medical equipment such as ]Digital Radiography, Ultrasound and In-vitro Diagnostics and much more. So they have some idea about the health market. Apple is not the only company in the world to do health anything.

I guess some things can carry over but when talking about a consumer health market and wearables I think we're in an entirely new .

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #74 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I really hate those Gear Fit devices. Even with the pictures you have to twist your head to a stupidly uncomfortable angle to see the screens.

I'd never buy one for that reason and that reason alone, regardless of who they're made by.

They are actually made so others can look at it while you wear them, Ever notice when some asked to look at your watch and you have to twist you arm funny so they can see the face of your watch. With the Samsung ID is allow others around you to look at it easily.

Edited by Maestro64 - 5/2/14 at 11:36am
post #75 of 119
Quote:

You realize that Samsung has an entire division for healthcare that's been around for a very long time. They make medical equipment such as 

Digital Radiography, Ultrasound and In-vitro Diagnostics and much more. So they have some idea about the health market. Apple is not the only company in the world to do health anything. 

Yes, I do. Samsung is a huge conglomerate and has their hands in almost everything. Their biggest business, by far is their consumer electronics division and that's what is being discussed here. Their CE division has absolutely no vision other than to move in any and every direction their competitors do. They have proven this time and time again in all areas of the CE market, not just smartphones. Lately, the ONLY thing they seem to focus on, is Apple. And it's ironic that the company they bash the most, is the one they envy the most.

post #76 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There are ads that tear you out of Safari with a forced iTunes link, but they seem to only work on mobile devices.

Report it to Kasper and hopefully he’ll get rid of it.

That has been happening to me more and more also. Incredible what these advertisers won't do. We need something for Safari on iOS to block this crap. 

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #77 of 119
Quote:

Yes and in the case of their Digital Radiographics such as the Rayscan it is a complete ripoff of a well know Japanese manufacturer and their Ultrasound is a replica of GE designs. Not sure about the in-vitro, not familiar with that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that wasn't a ripoff product as well. 

post #78 of 119
Quote:

Seriously, you are taking this into this forum and comparing that with Apple first or Sammy first in Health monitoring devices? Come on buddy! 

post #79 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post

Quote:

Thirded.

LG makes great washers and dryers. I wouldn't discount them.

An American company has a cheap knockoff of the LG washers and dryers, but they are just a little cheaper and crap (belt-driven washers instead of a direct motor). I forgot the name of the company, but they almost look like LG W/D.

Let's stop stereotyping entire nations.

Better yet, let's buy the best product out there.

post #80 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS9 View Post

I wonder why people are concerned with Samsung.

Someone at work helped me to activate their Galaxy S5. What a cheap-feeling phone. I will never forget taking off that cheap-ass thin plastic back of the case to put in the battery.

Yuck. No thanks. The only benefit was the bigger screen...other than that it felt cheap.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung hoping to upstage Apple with health-related event 5 days before WWDC