or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple will not unveil 'iWatch' or next-gen Apple TV at WWDC - report

Apple will not unveil 'iWatch' or next-gen Apple TV at WWDC - report - Page 4

post #121 of 164
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
All it would take is to tell an influential blogger that the focus will be on OSX and not to expect anything else, right?

Not really. If there’s something to leak, how do you hide that? Contrast with the opposite: saying there is something but isn’t; with nothing to leak, nothing about it can leak.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #122 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Last year in a holiday memo to employees Cook said:
At some point Cook needs to put up or quit the tease. If all we get at WWDC is a redesigned OS X and iOS 8 with incremental updates that's not going to leave a lot of time to unveil these "big plans".

Apple times their product announcements as they see fit, when appropriate and ready not based on the expectations of Wall Street analysts and competitors eager for a glimpse at the next product they'll feverishly copy.

Edited by freediverx - 5/4/14 at 3:28am
post #123 of 164
Quote:

Maybe people were expecting it because outside of CarPlay Apple hasn't announced anything new in the first 6 months of the year.

It'll be ready when it's ready.

http://www.imore.com/tim-cook-talks-about-new-product-categories-taking-time

post #124 of 164

Maybe the TV perhaps but not this moronic watch.

post #125 of 164
My guess is Apple may have to tweak its devices to respond to competitors. It's seen some watches, some health monitoring, so they're likely good there. Responding to the Amazon phone with 3D capability may take some time.
post #126 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

My guess is Apple may have to tweak its devices to respond to competitors. It's seen some watches, some health monitoring, so they're likely good there. Responding to the Amazon phone with 3D capability may take some time.
Amazon phone? Yeah I'm sure Apple is spending time thinking about that. lol.gif
post #127 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

Still think a surprise is coming at WWDC. If you're Cook and tired of leaks, wouldn't you maybe allow for a leak that casts doubt that anything new is coming? I do know that design work is done on a new product line. I have no idea how long something takes to be announced after design, but surely not that long.
The nMP last year was a complete surprise. I don't remember seeing any leaks on that, certainly not any photos of the hardware. If it's a brand new hardware product that isn't going to be on sale right away Apple might be able to keep it a surprise. Still, my gut feeling is Apple leaked this to temper expectations not throw people off. I would love to be wrong though.
post #128 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

It'll be ready when it's ready.

http://www.imore.com/tim-cook-talks-about-new-product-categories-taking-time
Then this is what Cook should be saying all the time. When you say new products "across 2014" naturally people are going to wonder where they are. The buying season doesn't just consist of October, Novemer and December. I'm hoping these spec bumped MBAs mean we'll a new MacBook model at WWDC.
post #129 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Cook became CEO in 2011. Not even three years ago.
I remember Jobs creating new product categories every quarter and never has more than a one day gap between breakthroughs. Oh that never happened? You mean there was 6 years between the iPod and iPhone? Jobs should have been fired for that innovation gap.

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I have no idea why supposed Apple fans feel the kind of loyalty to Cook which allows them to piss on Jobs' legacy. In the first 3 years he saves the company.

I believe you completely missed the sarcasm in jungmark's post. 

post #130 of 164
I hope we won't get another year of Apple packing everything in the fall and failing to deliver proper inventories.  Fail, and more fail again...
post #131 of 164
Quote:

Tim Cook is the one who said Apple had "big plans" for this year. He's the one who told WSJ and analysts that Apple would be announcing new product categories this year. I'm just voicing concern that they're all seemingly going to happen in September and October. Last years iPad event felt really rushed (Apple spent next to no time demonstrating the benefit of 64 bit on the iPad) because Apple crammed in a bunch of product announcements all at one time. Is it impossible for them to space things out a bit so we don't have these long lulls and then a bunch of products announced all at once? Might be good for people's budgets too....so they're able to spread out purchases more.

What do you think is more important for Apple, a) spacing out product launches to please bloggers, Wall Street analysts and competitors, or b) launching products when they're ready, at optimal times for the holiday shopping season and to prevent competitors from copying in time for said shopping season?

post #132 of 164
Quote:

I can't stand Samsung but they did get it right with having the Galaxy product line announced in the spring and the Note line in the fall. They have both halves of the year covered.

Samsung Galaxy S5 sales may disappoint in the first three months

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Analyst-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-sales-may-disappoint-in-the-first-three-months_id53711  

Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch sales disappointing

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/others/news/samsung-galaxy-gear-smartwatch-sales-disappointing-report-448032 

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 pre-order sales disappointing in South Korea

http://www.talkandroid.com/176561-samsung-galaxy-note-3-pre-order-sales-disappointing-in-south-korea/

***Also note, when reading anything about Samsung sales stats, that a) they only announce "shipment" numbers rather than actual "sales" and b) they routinely lie about sales numbers, as proven in court documents during trials with Apple.

post #133 of 164
Quote:

I believe you completely missed the sarcasm in jungmark's post. 

No I was responding to the sarcasm in his posts.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #134 of 164
Quote:

What do you think is more important for Apple, a) spacing out product launches to please bloggers, Wall Street analysts and competitors, or b) launching products when they're ready, at optimal times for the holiday shopping season and to prevent competitors from copying in time for said shopping season?

Which is it? When ready or in time for the Christmas season? These are not equivalent.

The problem is Cook said new products across 2014. Albeit in an internal menu. If nothing is discussed at WWDC then new products are unlikely later in the year as any serious new product requires an SDK. We might get upgrades to the entire line but that wouldn't be new products unless Cook means that the bigger screened iPhones - which seem to be locked down now - are the new products.
post #135 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

blah blah stupidity

It's easy to predict supply/demand in hindsight. I'd rather have more demand than supply on release.
post #136 of 164
Quote:

No I was responding to the sarcasm in his posts.

Sure, but it wasn't clear; maybe preface it with 'Precisely' or something similar.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #137 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Sure, but it wasn't clear; maybe preface it with 'Precisely' or something similar.

I wasn't agreeing with him.

Jungmark was dismissing Jobs' record with sarcasm. Not very good sarcasm either. The sarcasm didn't change his meaning, sarcasm is not irony. I then responded to his post - which questioned Jobs' record to defend Cook's tenure - by disagreeing that Jobs' record was as limited as he made out.
post #138 of 164
Quote:

I wasn't agreeing with him.

Is this remedial school?

Jungmark was dismissing Jobs' record with sarcasm. Not very good sarcasm either. The sarcasm didn't change his meaning, sarcasm is not irony. I then responded to his post - which questioned Jobs' record to defend Cook's tenure - by disagreeing that Jobs' record was as limited as he made out.

Ah - then you did indeed misunderstand Jungmark's pointed and accurate sarcasm. He was disparaging people who put Jobs down, not disparaging Jobs himself.

iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #139 of 164
Quote:

Since when is the holiday shopping season the only time people buy things? What about graduation, back to school, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. And how is spacing out product launches just pleasing bloggers? Seems like it makes good business sense to me.
post #140 of 164
Quote:

Samsung Galaxy S5 sales may disappoint in the first three months
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Analyst-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-sales-may-disappoint-in-the-first-three-months_id53711  

Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch sales disappointing
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/others/news/samsung-galaxy-gear-smartwatch-sales-disappointing-report-448032 

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 pre-order sales disappointing in South Korea
http://www.talkandroid.com/176561-samsung-galaxy-note-3-pre-order-sales-disappointing-in-south-korea/

***Also note, when reading anything about Samsung sales stats, that a) they only announce "shipment" numbers rather than actual "sales" and b) they routinely lie about sales numbers, as proven in court documents during trials with Apple.
What does any of this have to do with what I said? I didn't say anything about sales figures. I was talking about them having a big product launch in the spring and then again in the fall, having both halves of the year covered. And as far as shipped vs. sold, Apple reports shipped figures as well. Hence why Tim Cook spent so much time on Apple's earnings call explaining why the 16% YOY iPad decline wasn't as bad as it looked.
post #141 of 164

I'm not very fussed either way.

Apple should only reveal "iWatch" - again, if they are even making it - when they are good and ready. There would be a ton of pressure on such a product, so Apple need to bake it properly.

I would be very happy to see an update to OS X and iOS, even if that's all we get.

For OS X in particular, I'd love to see the visual overhaul, as I think it's somewhat overdue (despite OS X still looking pretty great).

I also think it'll be great to see continued movement on iOS, especially in anticipation of the next iPhone release.

So, either way, I'm happy.

It would be good to see some kind of Apple TV update, but I am not interested in minor iterative updates to that product. I'd be more interested if we saw a radical new Apple TV that incorporates some of the speculated features people have been discussing recently (especially a much better navigation/control mechanism and an App Store, etc...)

post #142 of 164
Quote:

I wasn't disparaging Jobs. Don't bring up bullshit like that.

If you don't understand it, that's on you.
post #143 of 164

Give Apple a chance and stop being in such a rush.

post #144 of 164
"Company uses their Software Development Conference to only unveil new Software Technologies! News at 11!"

Seriously... It's pretty silly to expect them to unveil new products at WWDC. Yes, they have used it in the past to unveil iPhones and iPads, but really? Those had a direct impact on the conference itself. Given that an iWatch or upgraded Apple TV are likely to rely on existing Software Technologies & Frameworks, it's highly unlikely that these products would be unveiled. They may not even release the API's for these products publicly. They still haven't for existing Apple TV's though they clearly have a framework that their Media Partners have been using (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, MLBTV, etc...). They may limit API access to the iWatch to only a handful of known/trusted App Developers until more of the kinks have been worked out of it (so the product launch isn't plagued with terri-bad apps).
post #145 of 164

Can we start a poll thread with voting on what people think OS X 10.10 will be named?

Possibilities:
Sierras
Sequoia

Yellowstone

Redwood

Inland Empire

Riverside
SoCal

NorCal
Napa
Vineyards

Crystal Cove
Beach Cities
Bay Cities
Breakers
Channel Islands

Golden Gate
... ... ...

Personally, I think it's a toss-up between the first 3 on my list. The Sierras are an iconic mountain range. Sequoia National Park & Yellowstone National Park are two key points of interest in California (among many).

post #146 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerslan View Post

Can we start a poll thread with voting on what people think OS X 10.10 will be named?

Possibilities:

Sierras

Sequoia
Yellowstone
Redwood
Inland Empire
Riverside

SoCal
NorCal

Napa

Vineyards
Crystal Cove

Beach Cities

Bay Cities

Breakers

Channel Islands
Golden Gate

... ... ...

Personally, I think it's a toss-up between the first 3 on my list. The Sierras are an iconic mountain range. Sequoia National Park & Yellowstone National Park are two key points of interest in California (among many).

I like Sequoia. However, I'm not sure it's going to be any of these.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #147 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerslan View Post

Possibilities:

Sierras

Sequoia
Yellowstone
Redwood
Inland Empire
Riverside

SoCal
NorCal

Napa

Vineyards
Crystal Cove

Beach Cities

Bay Cities

Breakers

Channel Islands
Golden Gate

... ... ...

I thought they moved to surfing hot spots. Big Sur comes to mind.
post #148 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I thought they moved to surfing hot spots. Big Sur comes to mind.

I thought of Trestles. It just shows I've spent too much time in Southern California.

post #149 of 164

OS X 10.10 90210

post #150 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasleep View Post

OS X 10.10 90210

OS X 10.10 Tintin

BEAT THAT!
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #151 of 164

I didn't think it was exclusively surfing spots... Otherwise yeah, Big Sur & Trestles are obvious options.

I was under the impression the new naming convention was going to be based on iconic California locations (which includes far more than just surfing locations).

post #152 of 164
Quote:

I wasn't disparaging Jobs. Don't bring up bullshit like that.

If you don't understand it, that's on you.

Yeah you were. Your claim was that jobs didn't release much from 2001-2007. I listed the significant releases in that time frame.
post #153 of 164
Quote:

Yeah you were. Your claim was that jobs didn't release much from 2001-2007. I listed the significant releases in that time frame.

None are those products were game changers.

And yet you shortchange Cook. The iPad mini/Air, Mac Pro come to mind.
post #154 of 164
Quote:

None are those products were game changers.

And yet you shortchange Cook. The iPad mini/Air, Mac Pro come to mind.

I don't know what's going on with asdad. He seems to be singularly missing the sarcasm of your initial post. Why is he still accusing you of disparaging Jobs?
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #155 of 164

Windansea

http://www.sandiego.com/beaches/windansea-beach

Edited by jfc1138 - 5/7/14 at 10:23am
post #156 of 164
Quote:

I remember Jobs creating new product categories every quarter and never has more than a one day gap between breakthroughs. Oh that never happened? You mean there was 6 years between the iPod and iPhone? Jobs should have been fired for that innovation gap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're right. These last four years without a major new product release have not all been on Cook's watch. Just most of it.

And as for those six years you claim that Apple went under Jobs without a major new product release, you're flat wrong.

In 2005 Apple released the Mac G5, featuring, for the first time, a computer with entirely new system architecture--a major product. In the other intervening years Apple released other entirely new products, including the first Intel Macs, Time Capsule, LCD Cinema Display, iSight, iLife, iWork, Apple TV and Xserve.

What totally new products has Cook brought into the world in his time? NONE! All that Apple has done is tinker with existing its products.
post #157 of 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're right. These last four years without a major new product release have not all been on Cook's watch. Just most of it.

And as for those six years you claim that Apple went under Jobs without a major new product release, you're flat wrong.

In 2005 Apple released the Mac G5, featuring, for the first time, a computer with entirely new system architecture--a major product. In the other intervening years Apple released other entirely new products, including the first Intel Macs, Time Capsule, LCD Cinema Display, iSight, iLife, iWork, Apple TV and Xserve.

What totally new products has Cook brought into the world in his time? NONE! All that Apple has done is tinker with existing its products.

Far be it for me to call you an errant, hook-nosed, fustilarian, but you're wrong. If SolipsismX is feeling kind, he will publish a list of new products that you have overlooked. May you shrink back, cowed and beaten.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #158 of 164
Quote:

Your list could be considered "tinkering with existing products", though. It's all about how you choose to look at the situation.

I am pretty impressed with what Apple has delivered under Tim Cook's leadership.

iOS7 and iPhone 5/5s are impressive products.

I also think that the new Mac Pro is ridiculously cool, and demonstrates significant innovation and leadership in the high-end desktop space - it's a space that Apple clearly doesn't want to give up, and is clearly serious about.

There are many more besides just these, but these are the ones that stand out to me at the moment in particular.

Again, it's all about how you look at things. Apple can not be expected to invent a new product category every year (and they patently didn't do this under Jobs).

post #159 of 164
Quote:

Mac Pro, lightning connector, iOS 7. I guess they don't fall within YOUR subjective definition.
post #160 of 164
Quote:

What does any of this have to do with what I said? I didn't say anything about sales figures. I was talking about them having a big product launch in the spring and then again in the fall, having both halves of the year covered. And as far as shipped vs. sold, Apple reports shipped figures as well. Hence why Tim Cook spent so much time on Apple's earnings call explaining why the 16% YOY iPad decline wasn't as bad as it looked.

It's relevant because you seem to suggest that Samsung is outselling Apple due to their product release schedules, so I pointed out examples showing Samsung's performance hasn't been all that hot lately.

Regarding sales figures, Apple publishes both shipment and sales figures unlike any of their competitors, and unlike Samsung, nobody has caught Apple lying about their numbers.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple will not unveil 'iWatch' or next-gen Apple TV at WWDC - report