or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jury awards Apple $119.6M, Samsung $158K in damages after finding both guilty of patent infringement

Jury awards Apple $119.6M, Samsung $158K in damages after finding both guilty of patent... - Page 8

post #281 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

The particular implementation of an instruction set is probably copyrighted (don't quote me on this), which is why AMD and Intel don't simply copy each other's designs even when one is behind the other (like AMD is now or Intel was back in the Pentium 4 days). There's also the possibility that Apple or another ARM licensee creates their own extensions to the ISA (like AMD did with the basic 32 bit x86 ISA), for which they could indeed get patents.

The term "secure enclave" itself is just a marketing term used to package the particular collection of techniques that Apple uses. I'm not sufficiently familiar with the details to say whether the techniques used by Apple are industry-standard or were invented in-house.

If they are industry standard, others would be using them by now.

Remember Apple co-founded ARM, as one of the original licensees they are not as restricted as others with what they can do.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #282 of 287

Here's what Apple is up against as these IP infringement cases continue:

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/06/apple-samsung-smartphone-patent-war

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #283 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If they are industry standard, others would be using them by now.

Not necessarily. It depends on whether the techniques used are general techniques "but with a fingerprint scanner." Once the fingerprint image is converted to a hash, it is functionally equivalent to any other form of authentication data such as a hashed password. So the question is how Secure Enclave's method of handling the sensitive data compares with that of other hardware-based authentication setups that use a Trusted Platform Module (e.g. http://www.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&cs=04&~id=smartcard&~series=latit&~tab=recommendations).

post #284 of 287
Samsung cyber lynch mob lol.gif

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #285 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The pundits say Samsung and Google won in the end.  They are wrong.  Guilty is guilty.  

If only that were true in terms of perception (or to use that awful made-up buzz word: mindshare).

There are many people out there (admittedly perhaps those with an already anti-Apple bent), who simply see this as a case of Apple bullying Samsung. Apple's victories are not seen by these people for what they truly are (i.e. vindication of Apple's position), but rather, Samsung is seen as the underdog or victim.

So, for those of us who are fairly rational about such things; yes, guilty is guilty and the results are pretty clear.

But there are a ton of people who don't look at the detail (or who are perhaps very tribal or inclined to be tribal) who base everything off perception rather than facts.

post #286 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingsoc View Post

If only that were true in terms of perception (or to use that awful made-up buzz word: mindshare).
There are many people out there (admittedly perhaps those with an already anti-Apple bent), who simply see this as a case of Apple bullying Samsung. Apple's victories are not seen by these people for what they truly are (i.e. vindication of Apple's position), but rather, Samsung is seen as the underdog or victim.

So, for those of us who are fairly rational about such things; yes, guilty is guilty and the results are pretty clear.
But there are a ton of people who don't look at the detail (or who are perhaps very tribal or inclined to be tribal) who base everything off perception rather than facts.

So what, Samsung and Google have been selling that proposition to the media for a couple of years now.

Their marketing dollars pay for a huge amount of influence.
post #287 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So what, Samsung and Google have been selling that proposition to the media for a couple of years now.

Their marketing dollars pay for a huge amount of influence.

I think the marketing dollars are a factor (although not as big as people tend to think in terms of the audience I'm referring to).

I agree that we should say "so what" in terms of this idea that nothing will change in the minds of the die-hards, but what I'm expressing is the idea that if people think these court wins will cause anyone to re-think their stance and grant Apple some leeway...they are wrong. 

The court battle matters "in the real world" so to speak, but in the world of online commenters and warring tribes, it only further polarises people (again, I'm just saying this is the likely impact as a matter of fact - I do think Apple were right to pursue these cases).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Jury awards Apple $119.6M, Samsung $158K in damages after finding both guilty of patent infringement