or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is - Page 4

post #121 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 

Just to clarify - are you suggesting that AppleInsider is not biased?

If so, that is possibly the most risible statement I've heard in my whole life.

Amusing that you mention people getting defensive and angry, when the mildest criticism of Apple is enough to get plenty of the regulars here foaming at the mouth.
Euphonious,

please don't take Daniels comments out of context.  Lets look at the whole paragraph including the TOPIC sentence. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

It's also quite embarrassing for you comment on the article without having even read it. And if you did read it, and all you can offer is contempt for the truth and a quick turnaround segue into how great Amazon's failing, low-priced iPad copy is and how much contempt you carry for Apple, well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 

regarding foaming at the month.  Any praise for Apple makes people come here foaming at the mouth with evidence they didn't even bother to read the whole article.  This is the whole point of what Daniel said. Please don't remove that part. That was the whole point of the paragraph and why that was stated first. 

If you look at the post that @Corrections replied to (shown in blue below, and later in context) you will see that he unfairly unloaded on @Relic.

Quote:
I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved.

Clearly, @Relic does not appear to be replying to this article -- rather commenting on AI in general. @Relic, is sometimes a bit contrary (aren't we all) and often prefers competitive products.

While, I don't always agree with Relic, I usually enjoy her posts and reasoned discussions -- can't say the same for @Corrections -- that's why I blocked him!


FWIW, @Relic had been hospitalized for months under intense medication, and we thought we'd lost her late last year.

Welcome back @Relic!


Here's the @Relic post in context:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good to see you post again. Do hope this means you're feeling better now.

THAT is impressive! I have the same res, but it's a 30" ACD - hardly portable. Although tech has come a long way, there is still so much we would like to evolve even further.


Best,

Phil

I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved. Did you ever buy an Apple PowerMac, I would be interested to hear from people who have one. Especially if their worth it, I'm kind of tempted. I can build a dual CPU 12 Core Xeon, 64GB system easily enough and cheaper but what I can't get is the graphic cards for the price Apple is offering.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #122 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


I've linked this before -- but, it's always worth reminding ourselves.




The problem with the "camera you have with you" is that you always have it with you!

 

I hadn't seen that before and so true!  I have finally taken to confiscating my kids phones and tablets when we are on a road trip every few hours so they can look outside at the scenery.

post #123 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 

Just to clarify - are you suggesting that AppleInsider is not biased?

If so, that is possibly the most risible statement I've heard in my whole life.

Amusing that you mention people getting defensive and angry, when the mildest criticism of Apple is enough to get plenty of the regulars here foaming at the mouth.
Euphonious,

please don't take Daniels comments out of context.  Lets look at the whole paragraph including the TOPIC sentence. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

It's also quite embarrassing for you comment on the article without having even read it. And if you did read it, and all you can offer is contempt for the truth and a quick turnaround segue into how great Amazon's failing, low-priced iPad copy is and how much contempt you carry for Apple, well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 

regarding foaming at the month.  Any praise for Apple makes people come here foaming at the mouth with evidence they didn't even bother to read the whole article.  This is the whole point of what Daniel said. Please don't remove that part. That was the whole point of the paragraph and why that was stated first. 

If you look at the post that @Corrections replied to (shown in blue below, and later in context) you will see that he unfairly unloaded on @Relic.
 
Quote:
I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved.

Clearly, @Relic does not appear to be replying to this article -- rather commenting on AI in general. @Relic, is sometimes a bit contrary (aren't we all) and often prefers competitive products.

While, I don't always agree with Relic, I usually enjoy her posts and reasoned discussions -- can't say the same for @Corrections -- that's why I blocked him!


FWIW, @Relic had been hospitalized for months under intense medication, and we thought we'd lost her late last year.

Welcome back @Relic!


Here's the @Relic post in context:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good to see you post again. Do hope this means you're feeling better now.

THAT is impressive! I have the same res, but it's a 30" ACD - hardly portable. Although tech has come a long way, there is still so much we would like to evolve even further.


Best,

Phil

I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved. Did you ever buy an Apple PowerMac, I would be interested to hear from people who have one. Especially if their worth it, I'm kind of tempted. I can build a dual CPU 12 Core Xeon, 64GB system easily enough and cheaper but what I can't get is the graphic cards for the price Apple is offering.

Dick Applebaum,

 

 

#1. Passionate author at AI, spends time and effort to research and create an editorial, for a popular website which attracts Apple fans and unfortunately trolls.

#2. Reader in pain comes to AI for entertainment (apparently not because she is an Apple fan per your description of her), says how much she thinks nothing has changed without even bothering to read the article.  Call author names and tries to discredit him.  I've heard of grumpy old men that just complain to get attention, I guess there is no reason we can't have the same with women. 

#3. Author responds to defend himself and his work.  Basically saying, read the article and its contents before making accusations.  Otherwise, they have no basis for what they said other than bias.

#4.  Now you block the author because he defended himself and what he said.  

 

I am not sure I understand the motivation to your post.  Are passionate authors not people too? Should they just sit there while grump people come here, who have never wrote, researched or published anything in their life throw mud at him without have the common respect to even read what he actually wrote?

If people can't be civil and respectful of someone's hard work and just comes here to bash without actually reading it, then to me it says a lot about that person, how to categorize them, and what respect I will give them going forward.  


Edited by snova - 5/5/14 at 3:47pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #124 of 150

Makes me want to go buy 4 more iPads, the new MBA, and when the 6 comes out, a new iPhone for everyone in my family. What about the new iWatch? I'll pick up one of those too!

post #125 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Dick Applebaum,


#1. Passionate author at AI, spends time and effort to research and create an editorial, for a popular website which attracts Apple fans and unfortunately trolls.
#2. Reader in pain comes to AI for entertainment (apparently not because she is an Apple fan per your description of her), says how much she thinks nothing has changed without even bothering to read the article.  Call author names and tries to discredit him.  I've heard of grumpy old men that just complain to get attention, I guess there is no reason we can't have the same with women. 
#3. Author responds to defend himself and his work.  Basically saying, read the article and its contents before making accusations.  Otherwise, they have no basis for what they said other than bias.
#4.  Now you block the author because he defended himself and what he said.  

I am not sure I understand the motivation to your post.  Are passionate authors not people too? Should they just sit there while grump people come here, who have never wrote, researched or published anything in their life throw mud at him without have the common respect to even read what he actually wrote?
If people can't be civil and respectful of someone's hard work and just comes here to bash without actually reading it, then to me it says a lot about that person, how to categorize them, and what respect I will give them going forward.  

Hear! Hear!
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #126 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 


Just to clarify - are you suggesting that AppleInsider is not biased?


If so, that is possibly the most risible statement I've heard in my whole life.


Amusing that you mention people getting defensive and angry, when the mildest criticism of Apple is enough to get plenty of the regulars here foaming at the mouth.
Euphonious,


please don't take Daniels comments out of context.  Lets look at the whole paragraph including the TOPIC sentence. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 

It's also quite embarrassing for you comment on the article without having even read it. And if you did read it, and all you can offer is contempt for the truth and a quick turnaround segue into how great Amazon's failing, low-priced iPad copy is and how much contempt you carry for Apple, well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 


regarding foaming at the month.  Any praise for Apple makes people come here foaming at the mouth with evidence they didn't even bother to read the whole article.  This is the whole point of what Daniel said. Please don't remove that part. That was the whole point of the paragraph and why that was stated first. 


If you look at the post that @Corrections replied to (shown in blue below, and later in context) you will see that he unfairly unloaded on @Relic.

 
Quote:
I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved.


Clearly, @Relic does not appear to be replying to this article -- rather commenting on AI in general. @Relic, is sometimes a bit contrary (aren't we all) and often prefers competitive products.


While, I don't always agree with Relic, I usually enjoy her posts and reasoned discussions -- can't say the same for @Corrections -- that's why I blocked him!



FWIW, @Relic had been hospitalized for months under intense medication, and we thought we'd lost her late last year.


Welcome back @Relic!



Here's the @Relic post in context:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good to see you post again. Do hope this means you're feeling better now.


THAT is impressive! I have the same res, but it's a 30" ACD - hardly portable. Although tech has come a long way, there is still so much we would like to evolve even further.



Best,


Phil

I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved. Did you ever buy an Apple PowerMac, I would be interested to hear from people who have one. Especially if their worth it, I'm kind of tempted. I can build a dual CPU 12 Core Xeon, 64GB system easily enough and cheaper but what I can't get is the graphic cards for the price Apple is offering.
Dick Applebaum,


#1. Passionate author at AI, spends time and effort to research and create an editorial, for a popular website which attracts Apple fans and unfortunately trolls.
#2. Reader in pain comes to AI for entertainment (apparently not because she is an Apple fan per your description of her), says how much she thinks nothing has changed without even bothering to read the article.  Call author names and tries to discredit him.  I've heard of grumpy old men that just complain to get attention, I guess there is no reason we can't have the same with women. 
#3. Author responds to defend himself and his work.  Basically saying, read the article and its contents before making accusations.  Otherwise, they have no basis for what they said other than bias.
#4.  Now you block the author because he defended himself and what he said.  

I am not sure I understand the motivation to your post.  Are passionate authors not people too? Should they just sit there while grump people come here, who have never wrote, researched or published anything in their life throw mud at him without have the common respect to even read what he actually wrote?
If people can't be civil and respectful of someone's hard work and just comes here to bash without actually reading it, then to me it says a lot about that person, how to categorize them, and what respect I will give them going forward.  


By the numbers:

#1 agree

#2 disagree mas o menos (Cinco De Mayo speak):
  • @Relic is a technology fan -- everything from cars to watches
  • She claims (and I believe her) to have purchased, or currently owns, many Apple products -- when they suit her needs
  • if you review her post history vis a vis DED's -- I think you will find her less biased than DED
  • we do not know whether she read the article or not -- I suspect she did
  • her post, while in this thread, does not appear to be directed at this article or its author -- rather to AI in general
  • many here (including myself) post OT or general comments not related to the particular thread (I posted a response to the @Relic post asking about the new Mac Pro -- from another AI thread).
  • almost always, a DED article will include a link to another DED article (there are 12 links in this DED article -- 6 of them are to other DED articles)
  • where did @Relic call the author names and try to discredit him?
  • grumpy -- maybe so, maybe no ...

#3 I maintain that the author responded inappropriately to @Relic's post. If you have followed DED as long as many here, you will realize that he tends to take things too personally -- especially anything against Apple or for one of DED's despised Apple competitors -- Yes, despised is a strong word, but DED seldom seems to miss an opportunity to rant against MS, Sammy, or the perceived villain du jour, even if it isn't germane to the article/post at hand.

#4 I blocked @Corrections long ago, and complained to AI, when I first realized he was/is getting special treatment afforded no other author or poster:
  • DED has his say in the article -- his agenda, his biases, his selection and version of the facts -- that's as it should be in an editorial
  • @Corrections gets to post supporting facts to his own articles while (pretending?) to be a separate voice -- that's unfair
  • @Corrections gets to criticize/demean other posters while (pretending?) to be a separate voice -- that's unfair

Quote:
I am not sure I understand the motivation to your post. Are passionate authors not people too? Should they just sit there while grump people come here, who have never wrote, researched or published anything in their life throw mud at him without have the common respect to even read what he actually wrote?
If people can't be civil and respectful of someone's hard work and just comes here to bash without actually reading it, then to me it says a lot about that person, how to categorize them, and what respect I will give them going forward.

The motivations for my post are truth and fairness!

Passionate authors are people too -- and, like all of us, they are due all the valid praise and criticism they deserve. As stated earlier, I do not think @Relic's post was referring to the article or the author -- rather, the author overreacted and demeaned the poster. Again, we don't know that @Relic did not read the article -- and I don't think she bashed him.

I suspect if you will take the time to review the post history from @Relic and the post history from @Corrections -- that you will find that @Relic is more fair and reasoned than @Corrections -- and just as passionate.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/5/14 at 4:51pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #127 of 150
To Dick Applebaum:

I get the feeling that you feel very sympathetic to Relic due to her illness, and that is clouding your judgement. Her posts tend to be full of character and can be amusing. And I'm inclined to give her a free pass due to her predicament. But that doesn't excuse the sweeping statements that she made, which were ill-considered.

As for your comments about Daniel Eran Dilger: I don't know if you've got some kind of grudge against him, but what you say doesn't ring true at all. His writing is consistently intelligent, well-researched and shows a mind-boggling attention to detail and awareness of history, which I haven't come across with any other writer on the web. Many writers write in what they think is an 'intelligent' style, but those writers tend to end up resorting to lots of grand generalisations using fancy words without citing sources. They chuck a graph or two in to make it seem like they've done their homework, then wander off into intelli-speak land. Dilger, on the other hand, is a pleasure to read for two reasons: firstly, for all the length of his articles, his writing is actually concise, yet packed with detail. Secondly, he has developed a pleasantly distinctive character to his writing—sometimes more flamboyant, sometimes less so, but always containing a certain 'je ne sais quoi.'

In short, he is a fine writer, which may be why he has a regular column at AI.

I often enjoy and normally agree with your posts, so I was surprised not to.
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 5/5/14 at 7:24pm
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #128 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IDC, and probably the others you mentioned, earns the vast majority of their revenue from individual and institutional investors buying/subscribing to their research reports. They're not public relations firms. If their data is truly as inaccurate and intentionally slanted to make Apple look bad as DED would like you to be believe then investors wouldn't spend thousands of dollars buying the research would they? That would make no sense since it would be useless.
http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Interactive_Data_(IDC)

This could be proven if the other guys release actual numbers. But they don't because these numbers make them look better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

It is a good article, and fairly accurate.  I think saying the tablet market is 'collapsing' is overly dramatic and that Daniel has it fairly right, Apple is flat to falling, and Samsung is falling faster.  Samsung falling faster isn't necessarily good news for Apple as the tablet market future doesn't look like it is going to be gaining for either side.

I do criticize his 'media is biased against Apple' argument- mostly based on what I wrote.  A few months ago he was ranting against them not including iPad sales in PC's due to an anti-Apple bias.  Now they include them and he rants against that as anti-Apple bias.  I would have zero argument with it if he had a consistent argument (whether or not I agreed with that argument).  As long he continues to change his view from article to article depending on which method is more pro-Apple I think he deserves a little chiding.  If IDC is doing the same thing (in the opposite direction) they deserve more than a little chiding.

No they include 2-in-1 Windows PCs and "others" as tablets after they exclude tablet PCs and "others" in the beginning. They are arbitrarily defining the market.

This is why there is no "tablet" market but a PC market.
post #129 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

To Dick Applebaum:

I get the feeling that you feel very sympathetic to Relic due to her illness, and that is overriding your judgement. Her posts tend to be full of character and can be amusing. And I'm inclined to give her a free pass due to her predicament. But that doesn't excuse the sweeping statements that she made, which were ill-considered.

As for your comments about Daniel Eran Dilger: I don't know if you've got some kind of grudge against him, but what you say doesn't ring true at all. His writing is universally intelligent, well-researched and shows a mind-boggling attention to detail and awareness of history, which I haven't come across with any other writer on the web. Many writers write in what they think is an 'intelligent' style, but those writers tend to end up resorting to lots of grand generalisations using fancy words without siting sources. They chuck a graph or two in to make it seem like they've done their homework, then wander off into intelli-speak land. Dilger, on the other hand, is a pleasure to read for two reasons: firstly, for all the length of his articles, his writing is actually concise, yet packed with detail. Secondly, he has developed a pleasantly distinctive character to his writing—sometimes more flamboyant, sometimes less so, but always containing a certain 'je ne sais quoi.'

In short, he is a fine writer, which may be why he has a regular column at AI.

I often enjoy and normally agree with your posts, so I was surprised not to.

I don't mean this to be a Jihad against DED -- rather, I generally agreed with the editorial. I still have not commented on the article, but I think @Relic is being unfairly attacked and demeaned by @Corrections, DED's alter ego.

Tomorrow, I will spend some time, and PM you some.examples of DED articles and @Corrections posts that illustrate what I think is wrong.

It's a matter of trust, free speech and fairness -- if I have a grudge, it is against the way people and facts are, sometimes, treated.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/5/14 at 6:18pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #130 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it's clear to anyone with a brain that IDC, Gartner, and SA "cook the books" to make their paying clients look good and badmouth Apple at every opportunity since they know Apple will never pay their bribes. just like it is clear that Samsung constantly lies about its sales figures.

These analysts get paid to create fictional reports that make Apple look bad and the other guys look good.

The problem is... the other guys still aren't doing very well. And these reports won't change that.

So... how long can the analysts keep doing this?

It would be like a student showing his parents fake report cards all year with good grades... but he's still gonna flunk at the end of the year. At some point... the lies catch up to you.

The analysts are cooking the books to make somebody happy.... but it's not really doing anything.
post #131 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

regarding foaming at the month.  Any praise for Apple makes people come here foaming at the mouth with evidence they didn't even bother to read the whole article.

Yes, there is definitely an obsession with the Apple fans who hang out here. I get the impression they come to entertain themselves by provoking.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #132 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hey, I, too compliment DED when he writes a good article, and criticize him when he rants, elides or misrepresents facts, cites himself, etc.

Dick Applebaum,

I think its important to keep perspective of our roles as posters to AI, the authors, and ultimately the purpose of this website.  AI exists to make money. It does this from mostly from selling ad real estate. The more eyes and time people spend reading the website, the more AI makes.  To get more eyes here, AI hires people draw more Apple fans here (like myself) on a daily basis. Ironically, because it is so active it also attracts trolls like honey. These people I have found want to ride on the coat tails of the authors of this website and get a rise out of picking fights with Apple fan.  Same reason kids act out when they are young.  

 

Anyhow, lets for a moment think about what the owners of AI want when they go looking for a writer to post articles here and lets review how they have faired by hiring Daniel.   If you look at simply the post count on each article on this site, we will discover that Daniel's articles consistently generate the most posts and I assume the most hits.   Given his popularity,  he appears to me to be a one man show and is for all practically purpose drawing the most attention and thus revenue for this website.  I mean no offense to other author's here.  Others here repost the SAME news events as other web site.  However, Daniel generate original articles and for the most part is unique to AI.  Daniel is gaining readership and quoted by other websites.  Again, no disrespect to AI owners, but I bet given the right situation I bet Daniel could easily start his own website and most of readership here will follow him.

 

What influence we have on this as poster over what Daniel posts when we disagree? Is it what we say here in the forums? Does AI care if you criticize Daniel and what your opinion is?  I don't think so, as long as the fans stay and heck maybe even the less offensive trolls. As long as they generating ad hits, no cares?  I see no point in criticizing him in a negative way. Not only is it disrespectful to him as an Author and the reason you are reading his editortial , but its also effectively pointless in trying to cause a change in what he writes and how he writes.  He is a passionate guy and backs up his editorial with references to make them compelling. This is the draw.  If people really wanted to change his style and what he says, a more practical tactic should be employed.   Its actually pretty simple.   How you ask?  Stop coming and stop paying attention.

 

Also, I mean no offense and disrespect to you, but frankly it seems ridiculous that you have blocked him in the forums and are encourage others to follow your lead. Considering that for the most part it is obvious that you come here to read his articles.  It makes no sense to block him in the forums but yet read his articles. Why not block his articles too? In other words, stop reading them and stop posting in the comments section of each one to draw more attention?  

 

I mean you no offense. I'm just trying to keep it real and set your expectations accordingly.   We are all guests here. It's not our house. It not our business either(pun intended).   Posting to the forums at AI is a privilege, not a right.  Give it some thought. If you have something positive to say about Daniels posts, feel free.  If you got something negative and want to punish him. Stop posting and don't read what he writes.   It seem counterproductive to go after what he  writes by posting negative remarks about him or this website.   

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #133 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

regarding foaming at the month.  Any praise for Apple makes people come here foaming at the mouth with evidence they didn't even bother to read the whole article.

Yes, there is definitely an obsession with the Apple fans who hang out here. I get the impression they come to entertain themselves by provoking.

as I stated in my post #133, its not hard to figure out why trolls come.  Same reason kids act out.  They want to be heard and feel like people care about what they have to say and that they exist.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #134 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


I don't mean this to be a Jihad against DED -- rather, I generally agreed with the editorial. I still have not commented on the article, but I think @Relic is being unfairly attacked and demeaned by @Corrections, DED's alter ego.

Tomorrow, I will spend some time, and PM you some.examples of DED articles and @Corrections posts that illustrate what I think is wrong.

It's a matter of trust, free speech and fairness -- if I have a grudge, it is against the way people and facts are, sometimes, treated.

 

Rather than admit that your knee-jerk response was unfair to the author in this specific situation, you'd like to illustrate that a basis for the response can be found in the author's past behavior.

post #135 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hey, I, too compliment DED when he writes a good article, and criticize him when he rants, elides or misrepresents facts, cites himself, etc.
Dick Applebaum,
I think its important to keep perspective of our roles as posters to AI, the authors, and ultimately the purpose of this website.  AI exists to make money. It does this from mostly from selling ad real estate. The more eyes and time people spend reading the website, the more AI makes.  To get more eyes here, AI hires people draw more Apple fans here (like myself) on a daily basis. Ironically, because it is so active it also attracts trolls like honey. These people I have found want to ride on the coat tails of the authors of this website and get a rise out of picking fights with Apple fan.  Same reason kids act out when they are young.  

Anyhow, lets for a moment think about what the owners of AI want when they go looking for a writer to post articles here and lets review how they have faired by hiring Daniel.   If you look at simply the post count on each article on this site, we will discover that Daniel's articles consistently generate the most posts and I assume the most hits.   Given his popularity,  he appears to me to be a one man show and is for all practically purpose drawing the most attention and thus revenue for this website.  I mean no offense to other author's here.  Others here repost the SAME news events as other web site.  However, Daniel generate original articles and for the most part is unique to AI.  Daniel is gaining readership and quoted by other websites.  Again, no disrespect to AI owners, but I bet given the right situation I bet Daniel could easily start his own website and most of readership here will follow him.

What influence we have on this as poster over what Daniel posts when we disagree? Is it what we say here in the forums? Does AI care if you criticize Daniel and what your opinion is?  I don't think so, as long as the fans stay and heck maybe even the less offensive trolls. As long as they generating ad hits, no cares?  I see no point in criticizing him in a negative way. Not only is it disrespectful to him as an Author and the reason you are reading his editortial , but its also effectively pointless in trying to cause a change in what he writes and how he writes.  He is a passionate guy and backs up his editorial with references to make them compelling. This is the draw.  If people really wanted to change his style and what he says, a more practical tactic should be employed.   Its actually pretty simple.   How you ask?  Stop coming and stop paying attention.

Also, I mean no offense and disrespect to you, but frankly it seems ridiculous that you have blocked him in the forums and are encourage others to follow your lead. Considering that for the most part it is obvious that you come here to read his articles.  It makes no sense to block him in the forums but yet read his articles. Why not block his articles too? In other words, stop reading them and stop posting in the comments section of each one to draw more attention?  

I mean you no offense. I'm just trying to keep it real and set your expectations accordingly.   We are all guests here. It's not our house. It not our business either(pun intended).   Posting to the forums at AI is a privilege, not a right.  Give it some thought. If you have something positive to say about Daniels posts, feel free.  If you got something negative and want to punish him. Stop posting and don't read what he writes.   It seem counterproductive to go after what he  writes by posting negative remarks about him or this website.   

I understand and agree with most of what you say. I've been around since before there was an Internet – and understand that as it evolves, the rules change.

At some point, when the, value of the advertising exceeds the value of the content -- then worth of a site like AI becomes of little value to people like me ... Sad, really -- but, that's evolution.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #136 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post


After many years of reading on this site, I'm pretty sure that you believe any innovation that hasn't come from Apple is a lost cause.

Sadly, you might actually be correct.

I'm hoping you're wrong. 1smile.gif

You have been reading AI for many years and just joined last month?  possible....but not likely.  

post #137 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I understand and agree with most of what you say. I've been around since before there was an Internet – and understand that as it evolves, the rules change.

At some point, when the, value of the advertising exceeds the value of the content -- then worth of a site like AI becomes of little value to people like me ... Sad, really -- but, that's evolution.

Dick Applebaum,

glad we are aligned.  Its not just internet websites. I laugh when people complain about having 1000 channels and there is nothing good to watch.   The content out there is just plain insulting to people's intelligence, IMHO.   Yet, they keep watching and do nothing about it.   Networks keep racking in the money and keep getting bigger.    That's reality unfortunately of our society.   Oh well. Not my problem.  I just tune out and read a book instead of forcing myself to be subjected to content which just plain mindless crap.

 

When and if that happens here, I will be gone.  I really don't care for anyone to know why.  If they care, they can look at the web statistics and hire someone to figure out why readership has dropped.  Not my problem and not something I can control to any great extent.

 

So far, for me Daniel's articles are unique and entertaining. It's good to find a writer that  has some balls, writes about what he is passionate about, and stays true to himself.   He is a true Apple fan and belongs here for other of the same mindset.


Edited by snova - 5/5/14 at 8:08pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #138 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I understand and agree with most of what you say. I've been around since before there was an Internet – and understand that as it evolves, the rules change.


At some point, when the, value of the advertising exceeds the value of the content -- then worth of a site like AI becomes of little value to people like me ... Sad, really -- but, that's evolution.
Dick Applebaum,
glad we are aligned.  Its not just internet websites. I laugh when people complain about having 1000 channels and there is nothing good to watch.   The content out there is just plain insulting to people's intelligence, IMHO.   Yet, they keep watching and do nothing about it.   Networks keep racking in the money and keep getting bigger.    That's reality unfortunately of our society.   Oh well. Not my problem.  I just tune out and read a book instead of forcing myself to be subjected to content which just plain mindless crap.

When and if that happens here, I will be gone.  I really don't care for anyone to know why.  If they care, they can look at the web statistics and hire someone to figure out why readership has dropped.  Not my problem and not something I can control to any great extent.

So far, for me Daniel's articles are unique and entertaining. It's good to find a writer that  has some balls, writes about what he is passionate about, and stays true to himself.   He is a true Apple fan and belongs here for other of the same mindset.
m

@snova

You said it better than I can... I am a bit further down the road, but we agree on our goal/destination.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #139 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

as I stated in my post #133, its not hard to figure out why trolls come.  Same reason kids act out.  They want to be heard and feel like people care about what they have to say and that they exist.

 

I doubt AI's management minds. The trolls keep people clicking and posting. If the site didn't have trolls to keep people energized about visiting over and over, they'd have to create them.

post #140 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

You have been reading AI for many years and just joined last month?  possible....but not likely.  

Since about 2010 when I purchased my first iPad and wanted to find out a little more about Apple.

It's amazing how much I can read without "joining" a site.

I also check out 9to5 and macrumors on a regular basis and I haven't registered on those sites. I never had a problem reading on those sites without registering. Not sure why that's so odd to you.
post #141 of 150
It should be noted that declining unit sales is no indication of the loss of a competitive edge in the industry. There is a difference between declining appeal and market saturation (just think of the total units it has sold since the original release in 2010, even domestically, and by extension how many of those units remain in active use).

Apple's marketing materials, loyal user collective, and incremental updates to its hardware and software ecosystem will ensure continued and rightful dominance in the tablet market (in my humble opinion). This is only augmented by the fact that Apple conducts extensive and thorough R&D on new features and designs, down to the packaging, before release. They also don't rush to add features simply because their competitors have; in fact it is usually the other way around. These factors guarantee excellence in deliverable products, despite Apple's now-juggernaut status. They do not cut corners simply because they are on top and want to skim the fats of profit for the sake of profit (oh, Capitalist America).

This is why I have always admired Apple. Unless some miracle product comes along that blows iPad out of the water in terms of hardware/software ecosystem excellence (it won't), I believe Apple's customer base and excellence will be ensured at the very least, decades to come.
post #142 of 150
Daniel, amazing research!!!! I had to sign up to comment here and I must commend you on simply outstanding research. I have retweeted it to my followers and I'm very glad I didn't join IDC a few years ago. 1smile.gif

Michael Tchong
Founder of MacWEEK
post #143 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


Some things never change. Good to read you're better than before.
Yes I have, from day one. A 1.6GHz single CPU, The first G5. A couple of later models, now on a mid 2010 MP.

I think if you're looking at bare specs a DIY is a cheaper option, or at least I would expect so. But usually difficult to compare. With Apple you also pay for the OS and such.

Do I understand you correctly that Apple offers their GPU cheaper than others? I take it you're referring to the D300/500/700 in their latest model. Which would be difficult to compare as well as they only bought the bare chip, not a full card.

A lot of assumptions on my part here, sorry about that.

Thank you for the heads, I already kind of figured that Apple wasn't using the full cards at the price thet they listed PowerMacs listed for. The performance seems to still be pretty fantastic though and I absolutely love the design which is half of why we buy Macs in the first place.

 

UhOhhhhhhh, seems like I kicked over a hornets nest around here. To be clear I had zero intention or interest on waying in on the article from which this thread was formed. I just don't have the energy or fortitude (from my word of the day calendar) to comment on such things at the moment. I just replied to a user who asked if he should buy a Kindle 7 HDX, since I have one I thought I could give my experience with mine and I defiantly wasn't trying to prevent him from buying an iPad, the Kindle 7 HDX is actually a really neat little device for 200 dollars. The comment I made to PhiBoogie about Appleinsider in general, again was not made because of the article. I had just gotten done reading a few other threads and it brought back a lot of memories, I made it as a joke, in retrospect I wish I hadn't because it is very clear that some of you lack such a sense of humor when it comes to Apple. Those who know me just a little, know I mean no disrespect or any ill thoughts towards Apple. In fact, I have no real feelings towards them in general, their a computer company that sell inanimate objects. I use them when their products suit my needs, like a lot of Swiss Germans we look at the engineering side of things and not on how they make us feel. So then why do I come here, for you silly's , you guys are such character's and I enjoy your company, that and I am an uber geek of magnitude proportions and because I sway either which way in the tech world I think I bring a little levity to this very one sided site. So please don't make this into something it's not because there's nothing to discuss and I'm truly sorry if I did something to offend anyone. Next time I'll simply say,"me like Kindle" and leave it at that.


Edited by Relic - 5/7/14 at 12:10am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #144 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

[^ post]

I got the humorous side of your post, as well as your unbiased view on the Kindle. Indeed, this post gotten way off track, and while I can understand some of the points being made, I think you deserve a thumbs up for responding here. Just last week I posted something stupid, which fortunately got deleted my a mod and learned that I should probably simply stick to tech talk. However, in your case, I would love to continue to read up on non-Apple stuff, preferably in a humorous way.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #145 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


I got the humorous side of your post, as well as your unbiased view on the Kindle. Indeed, this post gotten way off track, and while I can understand some of the points being made, I think you deserve a thumbs up for responding here. Just last week I posted something stupid, which fortunately got deleted my a mod and learned that I should probably simply stick to tech talk. However, in your case, I would love to continue to read up on non-Apple stuff, preferably in a humorous way.

 

You want to read something really stupid, I spent the better part of the weekend trying to teach my dog how to play Marry Had A Little Lamb on my keyboard. I even tried to color code the keys until I realized that dogs are color blind. So now I'm writing a script for my Novation Launchpad that will light up the button according to the tones that need to be pressed next. I'm on a mission to make a stupid pet video. So just know, whatever stupid thing you do, there is someone out there doing something even dumber.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #146 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

You want to read something really stupid, I spent the better part of the weekend trying to teach my dog how to play Marry Had A Little Lamb on my keyboard. I even tried to color code the keys until I realized that dogs are color blind. So now I'm writing a script for my Novation Launchpad that will light up the button according to the tones that need to be pressed next. I'm on a mission to make a stupid pet video. So just know, whatever stupid thing you do, there is someone out there doing something even dumber.

Ha! Your dog certainly is a cutie, and I can understand you undertaking this 'mission'. Would like to see that video if you get to complete it.

As for the tech used, that Launchpad if a nice little thing indeed:



Bit like a Linn drummachine on steroids!
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #147 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post
 

You have been reading AI for many years and just joined last month?  possible....but not likely.  

 

Why in the world would you think that's unlikely?  I can think of at least a dozen sites that I've been reading for MANY years and never bothered to join.

 

ETA: Just to make this point clear, on the front page right now as to who is viewing: "327 Users (30 Members, 297 Guests)"

post #148 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Why in the world would you think that's unlikely?  I can think of at least a dozen sites that I've been reading for MANY years and never bothered to join.

ETA: Just to make this point clear, on the front page right now as to who is viewing: "327 Users (30 Members, 297 Guests)"

Funny how it's almost always a 10 to 1 ratio.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #149 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Funny how it's almost always a 10 to 1 ratio.

 

Pretty standard stuff, especially when you consider the broad range of search terms that AI are all over Google for. People are coming in to find a solution to issues and have no plans to return.

post #150 of 150

Thanks for this rich analysis, very instructive!

As you do, I think that Apple’s ipad is far from collapsing. The thing is that there is a huge market that remains still unexplored and it is the enterprises’one. The iPad, more than other tablets, is a wonderful tool for business and professional are starting to realize that and equipping their teams. As a matter of fact, there are already a massive amount of app dedicated to business and some are already standard (paradoxically, Office for iPad, Google Drove) and others have a great potential (Beesy for example). Now, when the corporate people will be ready to embrace the tablet revolution at work, it will be an open door to Apple’s ipad which has already a foot in it. And Apple know that, since they are updating their MobileDeviceManagement tool for ipad fleets. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is