or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is

Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is - Page 2

post #41 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nowadays, no Internet search engine company can be taken seriously unless they are also making a tablet.

Nowadays, no book retailer can be taken seriously unless they are also making a tablet.

Nowadays, no PC clone maker can be taken seriously unless they are also making a tablet.

Nowadays, no kitchen appliance and TV manufacturer can be taken seriously unless they are also making a tablet.

So. Good.

I would only add:

Nowadays, no tablet maker can be taken seriously, save one!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/4/14 at 4:42pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #42 of 150
OT -- But funny ... Just Funny!

post #43 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I would only add:

Nowadays, no tablet maker can be taken seriously, save one!

I wish IDC would nut up and sell their own tablet.

Otherwise, I can't take them seriously.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #44 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I think there may be a little market saturation and even more market satisfaction going on in wealthier markets, and the iPad's probably too expensive for developing markets. People are always going to buy a phone before they buy a tablet, and if they can't afford an iPhone they're hardly going to buy an iPad.

I myself (living in a wealthier market) have an iPad 2. Eventually it's probably going to break and force me to buy a new one, but for now I just don't see any reason to shell out for an upgrade when my tablet does everything I want it to do just fine. Apple made it too well!

Quote:
What the penetration data shows is an extremely rapid rate of penetration. In comparison with the smartphone, the tablet is rising much faster. This is shown below:

They are likely to saturate at around the same time but the tablet started much later.

So how does this explain the slowing iPad sales?

It’s possible that saturation for tablets could come well below 100% and that we are on a different curve than the model above. However, the ubiquity of the product and broadness of appeal, even within non-consumer (i.e. education and enterprise) makes it difficult to reconcile. In addition, the penetration data is self-evident. It’s improbable that penetration goes to 42% as it just did, and then stops suddenly. These decelerations of adoption have been observed historically but they are usually explained by cataclysms such as wars and economic contractions, neither of which are affecting the US right now. If a product solves an important “job to be done” then it gets adopted in a predictable way by a given population.

The anecdotal evidence provided by the company and others coupled with the survey data collected for the population of US users implies that the iPad is solving numerous important jobs and is therefore continuing on a predictable trajectory and that a discontinuity has not occurred.

http://www.asymco.com/2014/04/30/the-ipad-discontinuity/

post #45 of 150
Quote:

*images*

This one makes me think of a certain author at AI who I won't mention by name.  :lol:

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #46 of 150
Any body here think that the draw down is due to new models coming this quarter? Seems like a smart move on Apples part especially if the next iPad revs have all the missing parts the current model is lacking (Touch ID, more RAM, more flash).
post #47 of 150
Don't forget the IBM mobile purchasing report last Christmas that showed over 80% of all actual purchases came from iOS devices!
post #48 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post

These shill articles need to go away first how no one uses Office (what a joke) and now this. I enjoy coming to this site but am not a fanboy.

Interesting how the "shill articles" quote reams of facts, figures, and statistics, while the "anti-shill" posts consist exclusively of "Nuh-uh!", isn't it?
post #49 of 150
@pfisher
"It would be nice to have a non-Apple product for once. Looks like the Kindle Fire is the way to go"

huh?

Why would that be?

The Kindle Fire isn't even running a real Android OS so you have to use what Amazon gives you. That limits you even more. Enjoy the malware!
post #50 of 150
Excellent article.
post #51 of 150
Mr. Dilger,
I really appreciate your continued reporting about Apple reporting. Thank you and keep up the good work.
post #52 of 150

Wow!  In a brief, pointed, and well-written article, you prove the incredible power that one individual can exert in a media-connected world.  This article shines a light of truth that burns away so much falsehood and manipulation.  

And your piece makes so much sense!  How could it be that Apple's web usage was so much higher than its supposed marketshare?  How could it be that Android and Samsung and Microsoft were supposedly conquering Apple in the market, when all three of these companies are stumbling with ongoing decreasing profits and even earnings?

Well here we go, the simple truth, is that the numbers are being manipulated in a way that is glaringly obvious once you exposed it.

Thank you for yet another great piece of reporting that will stand out amid a sea of biased, lazy, often hysterical, and manipulative reports about Apple and its competitors.

This article is yet another shining moment for this website.  Few people have the courage, intelligence, and even the desire these days, to report the truth.

Yeah yeah, I know, it's just consumer electronics, while there are wars and suffering in the world.  But reporting truth and exposing lies is a virtue nonetheless.  Thanks.

post #53 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

When a product is shipped, does its manufacturer get paid by whoever they're shipping it to? If a company ships 50 million tablets, do they get the revenue when it's shipped, or only when the front-end shop sells the tablet?

The answer to your question is, "it depends."

Normally, when a manufacturer hands merchandise over to a shipper, the title changes hands to the retailer, and the retailer is then billed. However, marketing can make any number of stipulation to sweeten the pot for the retailer to take a larger order or favor the manufacturer in any number of ways. Here is an example of a few such "deals."
1. Delayed billing for up to a year after shipment.
2. Product "cosigned" to a retailer who then pays the manufacturer as they move the inventory.
3. The manufacturer can agree to take back unsold inventory after a stipulated period of time. So the ownership may move back and forth.

So, unless the terms of an agreement is known, the answer remains, "it depends."
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #54 of 150
There is a part of me that really doesn't care if Apple's market dominance is recognized by analysts or not.

I'd just as soon Apple continues to stealthy gain dominance of the markets they have targeted... Apple's real competition knows Apple is walking all over them. Yet, since Apple is not painted as the dominator by all the financial wizards ( I use the word "wizards" loosely here), Apple doesn't need to defend itself... It's still playing catch up (heh heh).
post #55 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

@pfisher
"It would be nice to have a non-Apple product for once. Looks like the Kindle Fire is the way to go"

The Kindle Fire isn't even running a real Android OS so you have to use what Amazon gives you. That limits you even more. Enjoy the malware!

The sole purpose of the Kindle is to create a short cut between your bank account and Amazon's. It has no other purpose... and all along you thought it was a "reader."
post #56 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The sole purpose of the Kindle is to create a short cut between your bank account and Amazon's. It has no other purpose... and all along you thought it was a "reader."

Brilliant!  A short cut between your bank account and Amazon's!  Quote-worthy!

post #57 of 150

IDC have proven themselves to be a bunch of criminals and liars, market manipulators, obviously with an agenda, and being paid off to spout deceptive, false data that is then used as a source for spamming the internet with "Apple is Doomed", "Apple is collapsing" articles, both on mainstream news sites and blogs. Frankly, it's utterly nauseating. Truth and facts mean so very little these days- it's all about the clicks, and being the biggest attention-whore in the room. 

When it was not to Apple's benefit, iPads were not considered computers so that Apple could not be shown to have a larger share in the PC market- even when all evidence was pointing towards iPads replacing PCs, and competing with PCs. But Now, apparently almost every Windows PC is considered an iPad competitor, in order to tank iPad marketshare #s. Hilarious. Go **** yourselves, IDC. Incredible how all your "mistakes" are never to Apple's favor. 

post #58 of 150
Quote:

These shill articles need to go away first how no one uses Office (what a joke) and now this. I enjoy coming to this site but am not a fanboy.

Some people like to know what's going on in the world around them. 

post #59 of 150
Quote:

You might have a point if there had been an article that actually said that "no one uses Office."

Since there was no such article, your comment seems ignorant at best and libelous at worst.  Or maybe both.

post #60 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

That's the ASUS Transformer Book Trio (Android tablet and Windows PC inside the keyboard dock).

This is the ASUS T100:

The original image from the article was the higher end, $999 T300, which is styled to look like a MacBook Air.

An image of the cheaper plastic $400 T100 has been substituted so that nobody gets confused.

post #61 of 150
Quote:

Thanks for clarifying.  we would have still been wondering why you are coming to this site if you had not spelled it out for us. /s

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #62 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Quote:

Interesting how the "shill articles" quote reams of facts, figures, and statistics, while the "anti-shill" posts consist exclusively of "Nuh-uh!", isn't it?

fact, figures, and statistics.. those just lead to embarrassment.  Its better to just pull things out of a dark place and cash the check.

post #63 of 150
This is why there should be no "tablet" market and no "smartphone" market. There's a PC market and cell phone market. That's it. These research companies tend to define and redefine these labels to suit their results.
post #64 of 150
Quote:

The segment is a bit strange to categorize.  The iPad Air is a lot closer to the iPhone than it is to a Macbook Pro or Mac Pro.  The ASUS T100 is a lot closer to a laptop or desktop PC than it is a Windows phone.  Yet the T100 (x86-64 Windows) is categorized with the iPad Air (ARM iOS). The form factor "tablets / 2-in-1" is what both of them have in common.

Though in some ways I use my desktop/laptop and my phone more like each other. I find the iPad too difficult to use for email and other productivity stuff: the virtual keyboard is too slow compared to both my Mac keyboard (I'm a 120+ wpm typist, though) *and* my swype-style keyboard on my (Android) phone. I'd love it if Apple added a swype-style keypad to the iPad in about 1/8 of the screen space (more space to see what you're editing, too!).

So I use the tablet mainly for games and as a reading/media device (though it's a little heavy for the latter -- the only thing that makes me want to upgrade my 2 to an Air before it breaks).  I use the desktop, laptop, and phone for productivity stuff.

The convertible devices are even harder to categorize, of course. It would be interesting to know how people mostly actually use them (if they do, ha!). 

post #65 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Though in some ways I use my desktop/laptop and my phone more like each other. I find the iPad too difficult to use for email and other productivity stuff: the virtual keyboard is too slow compared to both my Mac keyboard (I'm a 120+ wpm typist, though) *and* my swype-style keyboard on my (Android) phone. I'd love it if Apple added a swype-style keypad to the iPad in about 1/8 of the screen space (more space to see what you're editing, too!).

So I use the tablet mainly for games and as a reading/media device (though it's a little heavy for the latter -- the only thing that makes me want to upgrade my 2 to an Air before it breaks).  I use the desktop, laptop, and phone for productivity stuff.

The convertible devices are even harder to categorize, of course. It would be interesting to know how people mostly actually use them (if they do, ha!). 

You know, I only type about 85-90 wpm, but I've never found it difficult to type on the iPad.  I mean, sure, it's not like typing on a regular keyboard.  But I seem to do just fine.

Then again, people are different.  At Starbuck's tonight, there were these three HS girls at one table, and two of them were texting almost constantly.  And they were just flying, doing that whole two-thumb thing that I've NEVER been able to master (or even close).

So, yeah, people are just different I guess.

post #66 of 150
Quote:

The segment is a bit strange to categorize.  The iPad Air is a lot closer to the iPhone than it is to a Macbook Pro or Mac Pro.  The ASUS T100 is a lot closer to a laptop or desktop PC than it is a Windows phone.  Yet the T100 (x86-64 Windows) is categorized with the iPad Air (ARM iOS). The form factor "tablets / 2-in-1" is what both of them have in common.

Difference is the iPad Air can't make cellular calls. Does the 2 in 1 get categorized as a PC or a "tablet"?
post #67 of 150
LOL. No sale. Nice try, Peter Bright.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #68 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

When a product is shipped, does its manufacturer get paid by whoever they're shipping it to? If a company ships 50 million tablets, do they get the revenue when it's shipped, or only when the front-end shop sells the tablet?

With many manufacturers, the revenue from units shipped is not as important as the number of units shipped, for the quarter. Usually they don't break down the quarter revenue to point where one can tell how much of it is revenue realized from units shipped and sold this quarter from revenue realized from units shipped last quarter but sold this quarter. But units shipped is the number many analyst use to forecast growth as this is the figure they use to compare to same quarter last year or from quarter to quarter. So manufacturers will offer incentives to venders like, differed payment plan, favorable return or discount policy for unsold inventory, pay for rebate program to help sell unsold inventory, discount for large orders, etc., etc., as an incentive for venders to order more units, so they can beat last year or last month units shipped numbers.  

post #69 of 150

Terrific exposé of IDC's dodgy business practices, if Samsung et al are happy to pay someone to prop up their fantasy world then that will make it all the better for Apple when the drugs wear off. I don't think anyone is being fooled other than those who actively choose to be fooled.

Reports of Apple's demise are soon going to be as risible as similar reports when the iPhone was introduced. Apple have hardware and software nailed and they have understood then when it comes to quality of life, a couple of hundred bucks extra is less than nothing, in fact people are happy to pay for what Apple provides. Let's see Samsung try to make the same profits as Apple and see where that gets them. It's simply unambiguous and undeserved jealousy, from companies that can only copy, steal and lie.

post #70 of 150
I've been watching IDC and other analysts wrongfully predict Apple's doom since I bought 1000 shares of AAPL at $73/share (just a little over 5 years ago). I wonder why they hardly ever mention anything about Apple's near-meteoric rise in stock price? These "market analysts" are nothing more than link baiters. The information most of them provide is worse than useless, it's misleading and irresponsible!
post #71 of 150
Quote:

This is where is gets a bit messy.  

For example, both of these devices are branded as a 2-in-1, but both of them are quite different:

The ASUS T100 has all of the core components inside of the tablet portion.  It just happens to come with a keyboard dock in the box. 

The Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga is a standard ThinkPad laptop with a touch display that can fold 360 degrees to become a tablet.

So the T100 would be a tablet PC with a tablet class Intel Bay Trail-T chip, and the ThinkPad Yoga would be a laptop PC with a laptop class Intel Haswell U series chip.

One is a notebook, the other is a laptop with a Tablet PC type hinge. But both products are statistically irrelevant. None are selling in significant volumes. Asus is the largest Windows netbook vendor, and its sales are shrinking. It wasn't that big even a year ago when IDC was inflating its sales estimates. It's smaller this year.

There is a market for PC notebooks, but the top Apple's MacBooks are the top seller in the premium tablet class. Most PC vendors are selling low end devices that make very little money, which is why the ASP for PCs is so low, and why even top PC mobile makers like Asus are reporting declining/flat profits. 

post #72 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Grocery Stores FEAR Him" LOL. That's Business Insider for ya.

That was my favorite part of the article. It was really great.

Quote:

I laugh whenever someone posts that, as I sometimes have to remind myself not to be the person in the chair (still happens anyway).

post #73 of 150

One problem iPad has is iPad is good.

I have a iPad (the original one) still in heavy use by a family member daily.

iPhone doesn't have this problem. Anything before iPhone 4 is considered too out of date to use.

post #74 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree with...
Anybody who believes in the numbers coming from any of those research firms is a moron. 

After many years of reading on this site, I'm pretty sure that you believe any innovation that hasn't come from Apple is a lost cause.

Sadly, you might actually be correct.

I'm hoping you're wrong. 1smile.gif
post #75 of 150
I work for a large broadband company as an installer and I can honestly say that the only tablets I've ever seen in homes are iPads, Nooks, and Amazon tablets. I've NEVER seen any other tablet when doing installs. And this has been for over 7 months. Even my father in law that hates Apple (and loves microsoft and gateway/dell) has 3 iPads in his home. He rarely uses his laptop anymore.

I'm so happy to be a stockholder.
post #76 of 150

The iPad's biggest competitor is the iPad Mini.   Or would that be its smallest?   darn them!! decisions decisions.

post #77 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I've been looking for a good Android tablet, but they only one that seems any good is the Amazon Kindle Fire.

I'm on my second Asus MeMO that I have to return because it keeps freezing up.

Lenovos have problems after awhile, as well.

I was looking at the Dell one that runs Windows and comes with Office, but reviews bad as the full Office is not designed for 8" tablets. Not many apps out there that will run good on an 8" tablet running full Windows.

It would be nice to have a non-Apple product for once. Looks like the Kindle Fire is the way to go.

Didn't look at how good Samsung tablets are, because I won't buy Samsung.

I would defiantly pull the trigger on the Kindle HDX. I have the little one, the 7" model and I absolutely love it. 200 dollars for a tablet that contains a Qualcomm 800, 2GB RAM, 1080P and Miracast (wireless desktop, works extremely well too) is pretty amazing. Even though people complain about the lack of Google Play Store, I personally don't miss it as I am chugging along just fine using MoboGenie as my app store, Pro Launcher 2 to replace FIreOS's UI and SideBar for smoother multitasking. The Kindle HDX is extremely quick, has absolutely the best built quality of any Android tablet on the market, beautiful screen (especially the 8.9 version with it's 2560 x 1600 Res.), very thin and portable, an absolute pleasure to read eBooks (install Mantano Reader, best eBook reader on the market), FlipBoard, Pinterest, listening to Podcasts with PocketCasts and of course watching movies using VLC to stream from my 1TB Google Drive using ES File Explorer, cooking with new recipes from EverNote Food and editing pictures with PS Touch(this works fantastically on the Kindle). There are of course many more apps but I just wanted to list the stuff that I use the most on my Kindle. It's my little buddy that goes with me everywhere. I still spend a lot of time in hospitals so I wanted something really portable without sacrificing specs. Yes, I also have an iPad but I only use it for music now so it's permanently installed into a Alesis iO Dock. An iPad Mini would have also been nice and very portable but I gave mine to my daughter and the price for a new one was just a little on the high end for what I would use it for, the Kindle just made more sense. Anywhooo I highly recommend the Kindle HDX.

Edited by Relic - 5/5/14 at 3:12am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #78 of 150
Good to see you post again. Do hope this means you're feeling better now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

...especially the 8.9 version with it's 2560 x 1600 Res.

THAT is impressive! I have the same res, but it's a 30" ACD - hardly portable. Although tech has come a long way, there is still so much we would like to evolve even further.

Best,
Phil
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #79 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Funny but not really true, I have yet to buy anything from Amazon with my little Kindle HDX. Just install a new Launcher,  app store and you will never have to see anything Amazon related. I even blocked out the Amazon apps that came pre installed. All of this can be done in under 10 minutes with zero technical know how. The Kindle is also fairly reasonably priced when you consider it has a Qualcomm 800 CPU, 2GB of memory, 1080P resolution and wireless desktop mirroring with Miracast for just 200 dollars. A tablet that is just as fast as an iPad Mini Retina for this price isn't so bad, especially when your goal is to just to watch movies, read eBooks, surf and play games. Customer Service for the Kindle is also pretty fantastic, all you have to do is press a button called MayDay and a Amazon rep will appear live via video chat in under 15 seconds. They can handle simple questions all they way to giving out RMI numbers for returns or repair. That's pretty cool and defiantly better than pressing a bunch buttons on your phone to get to the right department and then waiting for some one to pick up.

The Kindle HDX is a good tablet, regardless of what you think. Not everyone can afford an iPad, so if you have to go Android it's a very good option.

post #80 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good to see you post again. Do hope this means you're feeling better now.
THAT is impressive! I have the same res, but it's a 30" ACD - hardly portable. Although tech has come a long way, there is still so much we would like to evolve even further.

Best,
Phil

I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved. Did you ever buy an Apple PowerMac, I would be interested to hear from people who have one. Especially if their worth it, I'm kind of tempted. I can build a dual CPU 12 Core Xeon, 64GB system easily enough and cheaper but what I can't get is the graphic cards for the price Apple is offering.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is