or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is - Page 3

post #81 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved.

Some things never change. Good to read you're better than before.
Quote:
Did you ever buy an Apple PowerMac, I would be interested to hear from people who have one. Especially if their worth it, I'm kind of tempted. I can build a dual CPU 12 Core Xeon, 64GB system easily enough and cheaper but what I can't get is the graphic cards for the price Apple is offering.

Yes I have, from day one. A 1.6GHz single CPU, The first G5. A couple of later models, now on a mid 2010 MP.

I think if you're looking at bare specs a DIY is a cheaper option, or at least I would expect so. But usually difficult to compare. With Apple you also pay for the OS and such.

Do I understand you correctly that Apple offers their GPU cheaper than others? I take it you're referring to the D300/500/700 in their latest model. Which would be difficult to compare as well as they only bought the bare chip, not a full card.

A lot of assumptions on my part here, sorry about that.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #82 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm105 View Post

The Kindle Fire isn't even running a real Android OS so you have to use what Amazon gives you. That limits you even more. Enjoy the malware!

He/she isn't susceptible to malware since the apps in Amazon's app store are vetted.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #83 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Some people like to know what's going on in the world around them. 

Those people (all people) need to simply get their noses out of their smart devices and newsprint and simply LOOK around them with their own eyes and not rely on others' opinions.

Daniel Swanson

Reply

Daniel Swanson

Reply
post #84 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good to see you post again. Do hope this means you're feeling better now.

THAT is impressive! I have the same res, but it's a 30" ACD - hardly portable. Although tech has come a long way, there is still so much we would like to evolve even further.


Best,

Phil

I have my ups and downs. today is a good day. I have a fire going in my bedroom so it's nice and warm, using my snoring dog as a pillow and just surfing. Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved. Did you ever buy an Apple PowerMac, I would be interested to hear from people who have one. Especially if their worth it, I'm kind of tempted. I can build a dual CPU 12 Core Xeon, 64GB system easily enough and cheaper but what I can't get is the graphic cards for the price Apple is offering.

Whoa! Relic! Glad to see you back ... The o'l same o'l, same o'l just isn't the same (o'l?) without some of the o'l same o'l people ... Is that a sentence?


that that is is that that is not is not is not that it that it is


Anyway, it is a very pleasant surprise to see a post from you!


If you are referring to a Mac Pro, I am considering it too and I asked @digitalclips (on another thread) to share his experience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hey, Digi -- How's your Mac Pro working out?

What config did you choose?

Are you using Thunderbolt Bridge to any Macs?

What Displays and External RAIDs?

Anything you would do different?


I too, have been watching AAPL closely, bought some more right after the earnings/dividend/split announce.

Once the dividend pays, I'll have some spare cash to buy new toys ...

Likely a Mac Pro config (medium to loaded?). 27" display and Pegasus 24TB RAID.

I could pull the trigger right away, but may wait and see what WWDC brings -- displays and iMacs.

Any ideas/comments will be appreciated.

Hi Dick,

Glad to share my experiences. I went for the 6 Core basic config as that was the best version shipping in 2013 and I had a dead line for tax reasons to buy in 2013. I maybe should have waited for the 8 Core but no complaints so far. I have a Sony 4K video camcorder on order and have been playing with FCPro X and 4K footage I was able to download. I run the Apple 27" TB screen and love it although one day I may move to a 4K but not yet. I have a 24" Apple LCD as a second monitor too.

Being a cheap bar-steward, I have built my own RAID 0 using High Point's TB v1 dual dock and Seagate Barracuda 7200, 3TB drives and using Apple Disk Utility for Soft RAID. I am getting very good read / write speeds (see attached) and obviously TB v2 would not improve this on a 2 drive Array, the disks are the weak link. A Pegasus would have to be a 4 or 5 disk array to beat this and costs quite a lot more per MB/sec. Very cheap set up really, $400 all in, the dock is $199, drive $100 each. I look forward to SSD being this price 1smile.gif I didn't expect data rates like that using soft RAID so I am very happy. FCPro X chews through 4K ProRes 422 (HQ) data like it does HD, almost no difference, it is astounding. I have several other dual docks not running RAID, just single 3TB drives for non-speed hungry data and games etc. The only wish I have is that I had a 1TB internal SSD just for apps but I can live with my set up till costs drop for an upgrade. I just keep Apple's Apps on the internal for now. I am running the dev OS X 10.9.3 (13D55) and absolutely zero issues with anything.

The Mac Pro itself is silent, cool and gorgeous. I have mine backwards, i.e. the IO ports facing me so I can see them and easily plug stuff in and out. After years with the Aluminum monsters it is quite unbelievable. I am planning taking it on road trips in the fall to Main as it and a single screen fit in the back of my Jeep with nary a notice. A big change from the previous model which always worried me that if we ever had a head on, I'd be killed by a Mac Pro from behind! 1hmm.gif

By the way I have always had my dividends ploughed back in to more shares on auto, from the get go. In a couple of years when I reach the official retirement age I might change that. But if you have access to yours, go for it, don't wait, life is too short and the Mac Pro is superb. Seems the perfect way to spend Apple dividends too. 1biggrin.gif.

Oh and check out that new Sony 4K baby. I always had the pro models in the past but now semi retired i can't justify the $6k+ tag but this new baby one AKA '4K for 2K' is a pretty amazing piece of hardware for the price and it can take stills at 15 MP! Link below.

The Thunderbolt bridge question intrigues me, is this for Compressor sharing? I must look to that as I have a few Macs sitting around here with TB.

http://store.sony.com/4k-camcorder-with-1-sensor-zid27-FDRAX100/B/cat-27-catid-All-Advanced-Camcorders;pgid=wQlQiXOlr2RSRpMWGtjpr_Rz0000p1G__w6B?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3D4k+camcorder+with+1%22+sensor

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #85 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Some people like to know what's going on in the world around them. 

Those people (all people) need to simply get their noses out of their smart devices and newsprint and simply LOOK around them with their own eyes and not rely on others' opinions.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #86 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree with the OP.

Those research firms are all full of crap. They're merely guessing, pulling figures out of their buttholes, they're fudging the numbers to fit an agenda and their figures have been proven to be completely wrong multiple times in the past. Anybody can take various numbers and spin them, in an attempt to frame the story to their own liking. 

And as we see now, they also have no problems with completely rewriting their own rules, and re-defining exactly what a tablet is or is not. Those windows 8 monstrosities and stupid convertibles are not tablets. What a joke.

The iPad is doing incredibly well, and just wait until the new ones come out. Only a mentally disturbed individual or a very poor troll would even seriously suggest that any iPad business is "collapsing". The iPad has completely changed the game.

Reality trumps lies and made up numbers. Reality trumps paid Samsung lies, paid propaganda and fake astroturf campaigns.

My two eyes function perfectly well, and 99% of the time, I only see iPads being used wherever that I might go. This includes in various businesses, on airplane flights, on the subway, in a cafe, you name it. I don't see any Android tablets being used, but then again, I don't live in a mud hut, so your mileage might vary.

The only place that I remember seeing any windows devices was when I was watching a TV show called the Dome a while ago, and those were obviously paid product placements, because it made the whole show seem fake. A mysterious dome shaped force field floating over the town seemed far more realistic than the ridiculous suggestion that everybody in town was using various windows devices. Needless to say, I don't watch that show anymore.

Apple is going to sell a ton of iPads when the new models come out soon and I'll be one of those sales, because it's time for me to upgrade, and I definitely plan on getting a new iPad in some months from now, whenever they get released.

Anybody who believes in the numbers coming from any of those research firms is a moron. 
the only places i see windows tablets are the show "elementary" and "hawaii 5 O", csi : crime scene investigation (las vegas), and any show that needs to show a USB stick. contents... all apple products tend to have the logo covered , or in a case...

the tv show "Criminal Minds" uses iPads. the show "super fun night" used samsung products... sadly i think that show is cancelled (inam not sure about that) in any case i liked the show, but not the samsung devices LOL.
post #87 of 150

Is apple's tablet business collapsing... NO! However, these constant classification arguments are just silly! Netbooks didnt have detactable screens or a touch friendly OS, Win 8 hybrids do. They can legitimately be classified as tablets, separate the dock and it's a tablet. On the other hand, if they lumped hybrids in the PC column instead, then PC sales would have been up y/y. You can't have it both ways.

>7" computing device sales...

77M Msft (3M win tablets/hybrids + 75M win pcs)
20M Apple (16M ios tablets + 4M macs)
20M Google (20M legit android tablets/<1M chrome os pcs)

Net usage...

13.7% IOS tabs + OSX
12.2%  Win RT 8/8.1 tabs + Win 8/8.1 OS
 2.1% Android tabs + chrome OS

post #88 of 150

A good article.  I think 'collapsing' is a strong word to use for either Apple or Samsung.  The tablet industry is going to head toward reduced sales and eventually flatten out at a decent baseline level.  Its not like there is going to stop being a demand for them- its just not going to be the same demand as during the first few years where many people just didn't have one.

 

Wanting tablets to be included with PC's would be more believable if the view was consistent.  Adding tablets to be included with PC's would allow the favorable headline of 'PC sales are absolutely booming, largely due to the iPad and other tablet PC's gaining substantial market share'

Unfortunately that would also mean you have to include those other PC's in all the data that wouldn't be as 'Pro-Apple'   Web usage statistics would now get dramatically skewed less pro-Apple as the majority is still done on 'traditional' PC's.  Dominant share of web sales?  Not really, as I think only between 17-30% of sales was done on 'tablets.'  So the headline would have to change from "Apple gets 80% of tablet online shopping" to "Apple gets 15% of online sales"

 

If IDC is switching views back and forth to whichever side has a negative Apple outlook that is pretty dubious.  Daniel wanting to flip his definition back and forth on numerous occasions is at least understandable since he's supposed to just pick whichever selectively skews things most pro-Apple on any given article.  At a minimum it is entertaining...  Seeing a huge rant article about why tablets need to be included as PC's one month, followed by headlines seperating data from the two in regards to online sales, followed by a huge rant claiming the data is biased because they are including exactly the data in the way DED originally suggested.....

 

I don't even believe they included all PC's, laptops, or even netbooks- only ones that are capable of being stand alone tablets?  The T-100 is probably a poor choice for the author's argument.  It is sold as a tablet.  They keyboard is sold as an optional accessory.

post #89 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
 

When a product is shipped, does its manufacturer get paid by whoever they're shipping it to? If a company ships 50 million tablets, do they get the revenue when it's shipped, or only when the front-end shop sells the tablet?

As they say, "it depends". Seriously though, it depends upon the contract. In some cases, payment is due when the product is shipped, in others it's when it leaves the distributor for the front-end shop. And there are other variations.

 

Apple's statistics report actual sales numbers when they have them, such as sales at Apple Stores or through the on-line store. I have heard (don't know for sure) that product held by distributors (e.g. Ingram) isn't counted until it ships from them to the front-end shop. 

 

Other manufacturers report numbers differently. Samsung, for example, reports shipments and not sales.

post #90 of 150
I wonder how have phablets influenced the market? with Samsung marketing a 6.3" phone (besides its 5.95" Note 3), and second-tier (mostly Chinese) manufacturers flooding 5.5-6.5 phones at low prices, where is this information in the analysis?
post #91 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post
 

Apple's statistics report actual sales numbers when they have them, such as sales at Apple Stores or through the on-line store. I have heard (don't know for sure) that product held by distributors (e.g. Ingram) isn't counted until it ships from them to the front-end shop. 

 

Other manufacturers report numbers differently. Samsung, for example, reports shipments and not sales.

 

To be fair, Samsung can't do what Apple does with regard to the Apple Store and Apple's online operation, since Samsung doesn't have a substantial self-owned retail presence. Apple largely reports numbers shipped when it comes to the non-Apple retail channel, like Samsung. 

 

I suspect that rumors of Samsung shipping tens of millions of products that aren't sold are exaggerated. Samsung's a public company whose records are open to investors' inspection; shareholders would be going after them if there were anything fishy going on.

 

Unless we find a few million S5s buried in a landfill in New Mexico, that is. 

post #92 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

To be fair, Samsung can't do what Apple does with regard to the Apple Store and Apple's online operation, since Samsung doesn't have a substantial self-owned retail presence. Apple largely reports numbers shipped when it comes to the non-Apple retail channel, like Samsung. 

I suspect that rumors of Samsung shipping tens of millions of products that aren't sold are exaggerated. Samsung's a public company whose records are open to investors' inspection; shareholders would be going after them if there were anything fishy going on.

Unless we find a few million S5s buried in a landfill in New Mexico, that is. 

Of course it's exaggerated but with Sammy, you never know since they've lied before.
post #93 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


That's why I admire people who have no mobile phone. They live in the present.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #94 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

That's why I admire people who have no mobile phone. They live in the present.

I've linked this before -- but, it's always worth reminding ourselves.




The problem with the "camera you have with you" is that you always have it with you!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #95 of 150
Another excellent DED analysis, which unlike IDC's reports is backed by actual facts.
Maybe IDC should be renamed IDK...
post #96 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

Decided to check out Appleinsider to see if anything is new. Same o'l, same o'l, Samsung bashing, nothing is better than an iPad, Apple is our lord and savior in a sea of evil companies trying to copy what they have achieved.

 

In what what is Samsung being "bashed"? Or is that just a "sympathy for the devil" appeal to pity Samsung as a misunderstood corporation being persecuted by any effort to research the truth of what is actually happening in the world? Are you a fan of IDC/Gartner, or what exactly has you so upset that you have to hate on AppleInsider for offering you the truth?

 

The subject of the article here is the quite obvious manipulation of estimated sales data, with a clear agenda. The article isn't about anyone copying Apple's products because they don't have original ideas that are better. It's a factual observation that everything being written about the sales of tablets--the market where people are making choices just like you, but just not like your personal opinion--is wrong.

 

Your favorable opinion about Kindle Fire is not under attack. But you can't really have an "opinion" about what the tens of millions of tablet buyers are doing, because the facts aren't swayed by your personal opinion.

 

If Amazon were selling meaningful numbers of tablets, it would be announcing those sales, not hiding behind BS like the Fire's "relative rank" in Amazon sales, something it also shared with the Zune, Xoom and other huge failures.

 

It's also quite embarrassing for you comment on the article without having even read it. And if you did read it, and all you can offer is contempt for the truth and a quick turnaround segue into how great Amazon's failing, low-priced iPad copy is and how much contempt you carry for Apple, well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 

post #97 of 150
To DED - should IDC (and the other so called "research" firms) be referred to S.E.C., D.O.J., F.B.I or any other regulatory agency for their willful misleading of the public and subscribers? What they are doing is essentially stock manipulation and fraud to consumers. Why should they continue to get away with this type of manipulative reporting and not get investigated/punished.
post #98 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

The only place that I remember seeing any windows devices was when I was watching a TV show called the Dome a while ago, and those were obviously paid product placements, because it made the whole show seem fake. A mysterious dome shaped force field floating over the town seemed far more realistic than the ridiculous suggestion that everybody in town was using various windows devices.

 

Somewhat OT...

 

Yeah, "Under The Dome" is returning for a second season.  I didn't watch more than an episode  or two, either, but I wonder... will the town continue to sport last year's (failed) MS products, as the storyline dictates?

 

For that matter, the premise that folks are trapped in a slow-death circumstance (per the book), and only have MS products to rely upon doesn't really encourage me to use MS products.  In fact, subliminally, it's the opposite.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Reply
post #99 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

A good article.  I think 'collapsing' is a strong word to use for either Apple or Samsung.  The tablet industry is going to head toward reduced sales and eventually flatten out at a decent baseline level.  Its not like there is going to stop being a demand for them- its just not going to be the same demand as during the first few years where many people just didn't have one.

Wanting tablets to be included with PC's would be more believable if the view was consistent.  Adding tablets to be included with PC's would allow the favorable headline of 'PC sales are absolutely booming, largely due to the iPad and other tablet PC's gaining substantial market share'
Unfortunately that would also mean you have to include those other PC's in all the data that wouldn't be as 'Pro-Apple'   Web usage statistics would now get dramatically skewed less pro-Apple as the majority is still done on 'traditional' PC's.  Dominant share of web sales?  Not really, as I think only between 17-30% of sales was done on 'tablets.'  So the headline would have to change from "Apple gets 80% of tablet online shopping" to "Apple gets 15% of online sales"

If IDC is switching views back and forth to whichever side has a negative Apple outlook that is pretty dubious.  Daniel wanting to flip his definition back and forth on numerous occasions is at least understandable since he's supposed to just pick whichever selectively skews things most pro-Apple on any given article.  At a minimum it is entertaining...  Seeing a huge rant article about why tablets need to be included as PC's one month, followed by headlines seperating data from the two in regards to online sales, followed by a huge rant claiming the data is biased because they are including exactly the data in the way DED originally suggested.....

I don't even believe they included all PC's, laptops, or even netbooks- only ones that are capable of being stand alone tablets?  The T-100 is probably a poor choice for the author's argument.  It is sold as a tablet.  They keyboard is sold as an optional accessory.

So you start by complementing DED for a 'good article' and then degenerate into criticising him repeatedly for ranting.

Nothing like engaging in stereotypical trollish behaviour. You might just as well have written 'I like Apple but' to save us the effort of reading any further.
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 5/5/14 at 9:50am
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #100 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post

If running Office (or most Android apps for that matter) is a primary decider for you, why are you even looking at the Amazon Fire? Hardware wise that tablet may be the bomb, but there isn't much software and the version of Android Amazon uses is unrecognizable from the original and much more restricted.

I agree, it really depends on the intended usage. I have an iPad mini retina that is an absolute beast, display quality and performance are amazing. I recently purchased a kindle fire HDX so that I can do my heavy reading on. I have just enough apps on it to give me a break and catch up on news and such while reading or watching TV. The performance is impressive, but overall the screen (even with higher PPI etc) just is not as nice and clear, the apps are very limited and the OS (based on Jelly Bean) while more stable than the previous kindle I had is still not as smooth or intuitive as IOS. So it is an expensive companion to help me save batter and space on my iPad which I use for work.  But an iPad replacement it is not. 

post #101 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
 

 

I would defiantly pull the trigger on the Kindle HDX. I have the little one, the 7" model and I absolutely love it. 200 dollars for a tablet that contains a Qualcomm 800, 2GB RAM, 1080P and Miracast (wireless desktop, works extremely well too) is pretty amazing. Even though people complain about the lack of Google Play Store, I personally don't miss it as I am chugging along just fine using MoboGenie as my app store, Pro Launcher 2 to replace FIreOS's UI and SideBar for smoother multitasking.

 

....

an absolute pleasure to read eBooks (install Mantano Reader, best eBook reader on the market),

 

...

of course watching movies using VLC to stream from my 1TB Google Drive using ES File Explorer,

....

 

. There are of course many more apps but I just wanted to list the stuff that I use the most on my Kindle.

 

....

An iPad Mini would have also been nice and very portable but I gave mine to my daughter and the price for a new one was just a little on the high end for what I would use it for, the Kindle just made more sense. Anywhooo I highly recommend the Kindle HDX.

Relic,

I got to hand it to you for "sticking it to Amazon (the man)" by taking advantage of their business model.  Buying their HW at or below cost, then turning around and gutting their plans to recoup costs by hacking it to not use any Amazon content or services.  Good thing everyone is not as clever as you or Amazon's stock would plummet. 


Edited by snova - 5/5/14 at 9:55am
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #102 of 150
]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Just to clarify - are you suggesting that AppleInsider is not biased?

If so, that is possibly the most risible statement I've heard in my whole life.

Amusing that you mention people getting defensive and angry, when the mildest criticism of Apple is enough to get plenty of the regulars here foaming at the mouth.

No, Apple Insider is not biased. Biased means unfairly prejudiced. You, on the other hand, have a bee in your bonnet.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #103 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

Relic,

I got to hand it to you for "sticking it Amazon" by taking advantage of their business model.  Buying their HW at or below cost, then turning around and gutting their plans to recoup costs by hacking it to not use any Amazon content or services.  Good thing everyone is not as clever as you or Amazon's stock would plummet. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookieman2013 View Post
 

I agree, it really depends on the intended usage. I have an iPad mini retina that is an absolute beast, display quality and performance are amazing. I recently purchased a kindle fire HDX so that I can do my heavy reading on. I have just enough apps on it to give me a break and catch up on news and such while reading or watching TV. The performance is impressive, but overall the screen (even with higher PPI etc) just is not as nice and clear, the apps are very limited and the OS (based on Jelly Bean) while more stable than the previous kindle I had is still not as smooth or intuitive as IOS. So it is an expensive companion to help me save batter and space on my iPad which I use for work.  But an iPad replacement it is not. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookieman2013 View Post
 
Quote:

I agree, it really depends on the intended usage. I have an iPad mini retina that is an absolute beast, display quality and performance are amazing. I recently purchased a kindle fire HDX so that I can do my heavy reading on

 

That is a curious decision - if optimal reading is your goal, why would you get the Fire HDX instead of one of the e-ink based Kindle devices?  The HDX has no advantage (slightly bigger screen) over your iPad mini.

post #104 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post
 

 

 

Not so much optimal reading, I wanted and e reader that also allowed me to have apps and the ability to surf the net or view email when I was taking a break from reading. The kindle gets the abuse and battery burn during the weekend and the iPad does the heavy lifting during the week.   

post #105 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by alai1 View Post

I wonder how have phablets influenced the market? with Samsung marketing a 6.3" phone (besides its 5.95" Note 3), and second-tier (mostly Chinese) manufacturers flooding 5.5-6.5 phones at low prices, where is this information in the analysis?

 

"phablets" and anything else with a mobile network capable of placing phone calls, are categorized as "smartphones."

 

There is no missing number of smartphones. If anything, they are more over-reported than tablets.

post #106 of 150
Quote:
Not so much optimal reading, I wanted and e reader that also allowed me to have apps and the ability to surf the net or view email when I was taking a break from reading. The kindle gets the abuse and battery burn during the weekend and the iPad does the heavy lifting during the week.

 

 

Then why not buy another iPad  - and have more apps to run?  Makes no sense to me.

post #107 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

 well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 

 

Just to clarify - are you suggesting that AppleInsider is not biased?

 

If so, that is possibly the most risible statement I've heard in my whole life.

 

Amusing that you mention people getting defensive and angry, when the mildest criticism of Apple is enough to get plenty of the regulars here foaming at the mouth.

Euphonious,

 

please don't take Daniels comments out of context.  Lets look at the whole paragraph including the TOPIC sentence. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post
 

 

It's also quite embarrassing for you comment on the article without having even read it. And if you did read it, and all you can offer is contempt for the truth and a quick turnaround segue into how great Amazon's failing, low-priced iPad copy is and how much contempt you carry for Apple, well you've just proven that the problem with "bias" isn't AppleInsider, but in your own noggin, where the truth is contemptible and the Apple logo makes you defensive and angry. 

 

regarding foaming at the month.  Any praise for Apple makes people come here foaming at the mouth with evidence they didn't even bother to read the whole article.  This is the whole point of what Daniel said. Please don't remove that part. That was the whole point of the paragraph and why that was stated first. 


Edited by snova - 5/5/14 at 10:15am
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #108 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by glop007 View Post

To DED - should IDC (and the other so called "research" firms) be referred to S.E.C., D.O.J., F.B.I or any other regulatory agency for their willful misleading of the public and subscribers? What they are doing is essentially stock manipulation and fraud to consumers. Why should they continue to get away with this type of manipulative reporting and not get investigated/punished.

 

We have freedom of speech. I think journalistic criticism is a powerful enough response to marketing companies publishing data like this. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much interest in criticism in the tech community. 

 

It would be difficult to build a case against groups that publish information and then change their figures after the fact to keep a story going. It's publicly reported, and anyone with the curiosity to investigate can. I am a bit disappointed that nobody else in the industry finds this sort of thing worthy of mention.

post #109 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post
 
Quote:
Not so much optimal reading, I wanted and e reader that also allowed me to have apps and the ability to surf the net or view email when I was taking a break from reading. The kindle gets the abuse and battery burn during the weekend and the iPad does the heavy lifting during the week.

 

 

Then why not buy another iPad  - and have more apps to run?  Makes no sense to me.

it kind of makes sense to me.   I have a hard time buy nice things for myself. When I do, I take very good care of it and try to make it last. 

Its like having a very nice sports car that you keep in mint condition, under car cover and only take out on sunny days.  For the not so nice days, you take the cheap beater.  I think that is why the poster has a nice iPad and a beater Kindle.   Given more budget, I think we would all like to own just the nice stuff.  I'm not sure I have made a good analogy here, but that is the one that came to me first.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #110 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post
 

 

 

Then why not buy another iPad  - and have more apps to run?  Makes no sense to me.

The consideration is simply price, the Kindle was much cheaper for my needs, if I had my druthers and didn't care about price I would have the iPad Air and the Mini. 

post #111 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookieman2013 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post
 

 

 

Then why not buy another iPad  - and have more apps to run?  Makes no sense to me.

The consideration is simply price, the Kindle was much cheaper for my needs, if I had my druthers and didn't care about price I would have the iPad Air and the Mini. 

tookieman2013,

I appreciate your honesty. 

regards.

 

btw, I find that if I complain often enough about the crap I bought for myself, someone that loves me often give me what I really wanted as a gift. Bless their hearts. 


Edited by snova - 5/5/14 at 10:46am
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #112 of 150
Quote:
The consideration is simply price, the Kindle was much cheaper for my needs, if I had my druthers and didn't care about price I would have the iPad Air and the Mini. 

 

Thanks for the info.  For some reason I was under the impression that you had gotten the larger Fire HDX - which is about the same price as an iPad Mini (non-retina).  You're right - the HDX is $60 cheaper than iPad Mini retina and $160 cheaper than iPad Air.

post #113 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post
 
Quote:
The consideration is simply price, the Kindle was much cheaper for my needs, if I had my druthers and didn't care about price I would have the iPad Air and the Mini. 

 

Thanks for the info.  For some reason I was under the impression that you had gotten the larger Fire HDX - which is about the same price as an iPad Mini (non-retina).  You're right - the HDX is $60 cheaper than iPad Mini retina and $160 cheaper than iPad Air.

not that I trying to promote HDX in any way, but currently Amazon is blowing them out for $199. Which would be $100 cheap than Mini, $200 cheaper than Mini Retina, and $300 cheaper than the Air.   

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #114 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwolf View Post
 

 

Thanks for the info.  For some reason I was under the impression that you had gotten the larger Fire HDX - which is about the same price as an iPad Mini (non-retina).  You're right - the HDX is $60 cheaper than iPad Mini retina and $160 cheaper than iPad Air.

I understand the questions, I probably should have given more info, therefore making my though processes seem more realistic.  My retina is 4G LTE which cost $529, my HDX is 4G LTE as well, but cost $329 and Amazon let me pay for it over five payments, so I went for it. Without the payments and price incentive I would have saved my pennies. 

post #115 of 150
Dan, you The Man. I bestow upon you the noble title of Fluff Demolisher.
post #116 of 150
it's clear to anyone with a brain that IDC, Gartner, and SA "cook the books" to make their paying clients look good and badmouth Apple at every opportunity since they know Apple will never pay their bribes. just like it is clear that Samsung constantly lies about its sales figures.

but none of the media - tech or traditional - call them out for any of it. they've all devolved to regurgitators and bullshitters (aka pundits), while checking facts is real work. and sensationalism sells, not real analysis.

so called web journalism, for tech at least, is a joke.
post #117 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it's clear to anyone with a brain that IDC, Gartner, and SA "cook the books" to make their paying clients look good and badmouth Apple at every opportunity since they know Apple will never pay their bribes. just like it is clear that Samsung constantly lies about its sales figures.

but none of the media - tech or traditional - call them out for any of it. they've all devolved to regurgitators and bullshitters (aka pundits), while checking facts is real work. and sensationalism sells, not real analysis.

so called web journalism, for tech at least, is a joke.

IDC, and probably the others you mentioned, earns the vast majority of their revenue from individual and institutional investors buying/subscribing to their research reports. They're not public relations firms. If their data is truly as inaccurate and intentionally slanted to make Apple look bad as DED would like you to be believe then investors wouldn't spend thousands of dollars buying the research would they? That would make no sense since it would be useless.
http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Interactive_Data_(IDC)
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #118 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


So you start by complementing DED for a 'good article' and then degenerate into criticising him repeatedly for ranting.

Nothing like engaging in stereotypical trollish behaviour. You might just as well have written 'I like Apple but' to save us the effort of reading any further.

 

It is a good article, and fairly accurate.  I think saying the tablet market is 'collapsing' is overly dramatic and that Daniel has it fairly right, Apple is flat to falling, and Samsung is falling faster.  Samsung falling faster isn't necessarily good news for Apple as the tablet market future doesn't look like it is going to be gaining for either side.

 

I do criticize his 'media is biased against Apple' argument- mostly based on what I wrote.  A few months ago he was ranting against them not including iPad sales in PC's due to an anti-Apple bias.  Now they include them and he rants against that as anti-Apple bias.  I would have zero argument with it if he had a consistent argument (whether or not I agreed with that argument).  As long he continues to change his view from article to article depending on which method is more pro-Apple I think he deserves a little chiding.  If IDC is doing the same thing (in the opposite direction) they deserve more than a little chiding.

post #119 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


I've linked this before -- but, it's always worth reminding ourselves.
 


That video reminds me of how I've always thought phones should be as programmable as possible when it comes to alert methods. You could have it only immediately audibly notify you in the case of emails that are marked urgent, calls from your kids, etc. to ensure that if something is an emergency you are reachable. Then everything else could wait until later under a given setting. The video also reminds me why I have always preferred to live in areas where less developed parks and trails are within driving distance. Unfortunately from my perspective even the national parks in the US feel a bit commercialized compared to back country areas.

post #120 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

A good article.  I think 'collapsing' is a strong word to use for either Apple or Samsung.  The tablet industry is going to head toward reduced sales and eventually flatten out at a decent baseline level.  Its not like there is going to stop being a demand for them- its just not going to be the same demand as during the first few years where many people just didn't have one.

Wanting tablets to be included with PC's would be more believable if the view was consistent.  Adding tablets to be included with PC's would allow the favorable headline of 'PC sales are absolutely booming, largely due to the iPad and other tablet PC's gaining substantial market share'
Unfortunately that would also mean you have to include those other PC's in all the data that wouldn't be as 'Pro-Apple'   Web usage statistics would now get dramatically skewed less pro-Apple as the majority is still done on 'traditional' PC's.  Dominant share of web sales?  Not really, as I think only between 17-30% of sales was done on 'tablets.'  So the headline would have to change from "Apple gets 80% of tablet online shopping" to "Apple gets 15% of online sales"

If IDC is switching views back and forth to whichever side has a negative Apple outlook that is pretty dubious.  Daniel wanting to flip his definition back and forth on numerous occasions is at least understandable since he's supposed to just pick whichever selectively skews things most pro-Apple on any given article.  At a minimum it is entertaining...  Seeing a huge rant article about why tablets need to be included as PC's one month, followed by headlines seperating data from the two in regards to online sales, followed by a huge rant claiming the data is biased because they are including exactly the data in the way DED originally suggested.....

I don't even believe they included all PC's, laptops, or even netbooks- only ones that are capable of being stand alone tablets?  The T-100 is probably a poor choice for the author's argument.  It is sold as a tablet.  They keyboard is sold as an optional accessory.

So you start by complementing DED for a 'good article' and then degenerate into criticising him repeatedly for ranting.

Nothing like engaging in stereotypical trollish behaviour. You might just as well have written 'I like Apple but' to save us the effort of reading any further.

Hey, I, too compliment DED when he writes a good article, and criticize him when he rants, elides or misrepresents facts, cites himself, etc.

No comment on this particular article.

I don't consider myself a troll and think I have far less biases and agenda than DED.

I do point out that DED's habit of posting comments to his own articles under the pseudonym @Corrections [blocked] is disingenuous at best -- providing trollish support for his own agenda/articles while, frequently, demeaning dissenters,
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/5/14 at 3:02pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad business isn't collapsing, but the rest of the tablet industry sure is