or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple stock breaks $600 threshold as investors embrace capital reinvestment

Apple stock breaks $600 threshold as investors embrace capital reinvestment

post #1 of 61
Riding high on a strong March quarter and the announcement of an expanded capital reinvestment program, shares of Apple closed above $600 on Monday afternoon, setting a new 52-week high for the company.

The New York Stock Exchange, credit Carlos Delgado via Wikipedia.

When the markets closed at 4:00 Eastern, Apple was at $600.96. The company crossed the $600 threshold just minutes before the NASDAQ halted official trading for the day.
Apple shares closed above $600 for the first time since November of 2012, but are still off $100 from their all-time high reached in September of that same year.
Apple's shares were up more than $8 for the day to reach the mark. The company's market capitalization is now at $517.65 billion.

The company also received a strong endorsement earlier Monday from RBC Capital Markets, which issued its second price target increase in as many weeks. Analyst Amit Daryanani now predicts that Apple shares will reach at least $645 in the next year, while his "upside scenario" predicts a price of $725 per share.

Apple's all-time high came in September of 2012 when shares crossed $700 briefly. Following that, shares tumbled throughout late 2012 and early 2013.

But the stock has mounted a comeback in recent weeks, and shares are now trading at their highest levels since November of 2012. Those gains have been driven by a strong March quarter, an expanded capital reinvestment program, and a forthcoming 7-for-1 stock split.

Shares of AAPL briefly flirted with a price above $599 last week, but eventually retreated after meeting resistance at the $600 barrier. That barrier didn't hold Monday, however, as Apple managed to push past the psychological threshold with only minutes to go in afternoon trading.
post #2 of 61

Glad I didn't sell my 125 shares last year.

At this point I'm up about $14k from when I bought it late in 2012

hoping it reaches $650 and I may cash out with $20k profit

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #3 of 61

Really wishing I had bought about 1000 shares in 1997 when the stock was around $13.00. Now I'd be rich!

Well, I do own 5 shares at the moment. Bought them around $327

post #4 of 61
Congrats AAPL

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #5 of 61
Mehta happened to shares dropping in spring time, oh them predictions
post #6 of 61

I am thankful for the availability of a Self Directed Brokerage Account for my 401K. 

post #7 of 61
I was just checking the stocks and staring at the 597 in the morning and I was like "AAPL is going to go past $600 today" and I got a notification after staring at the $599 and here we are at $600.96 closed for today and raising again tomorrow! Apple is really making a good and healthy comback in sticks from end 2012. Keep it up Apple I love your products!!!
post #8 of 61

Staying long on AAPL.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 61

I'm also glad I could move my 401k into an IRA... I bought AAPL at $176, followed it down to $85 and back up again. In my personal account I bought and bought small numbers of shares from $85 up in my non-IRA account.  I then sold everything at $700, but then bought back, followed it down to $600 where I sold my personal account and have left my IRA's for the long-haul... It's been a ride.

post #10 of 61
Keep going AAPL. Become the trillion company within 12 months ....
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #11 of 61

Before I bought the stock late 2012 I wasn't really an Apple fan.  But after buying the stock and doing 'research' at Apple stores I began seeing the advantages of iOS and a closed system.  Since then I bought 2 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, MacMini, and 2 iPhone 5S.

If I do cash out on some of my shares I'll probably get an iWatch and MacBookAir. 

post #12 of 61

I can only imagine how many Apple fans will buy a few shares once this gets split to $90.

Tim Cook and the new CFO played this one perfectly.

post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowhitestripes View Post

I'm also glad I could move my 401k into an IRA... I bought AAPL at $176, followed it down to $85 and back up again. In my personal account I bought and bought small numbers of shares from $85 up in my non-IRA account.  I then sold everything at $700, but then bought back, followed it down to $600 where I sold my personal account and have left my IRA's for the long-haul... It's been a ride.

Good call. We did same when we sold our investment properties just before the boom bust (which we had owned over a decade, we never flipped) but never had the balls to sell at 700 but still very, very happy to ride all the ups and downs as they never got close to our buy in.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #14 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I can only imagine how many Apple fans will buy a few shares once this gets split to $90.

Tim Cook and the new CFO played this one perfectly.

That is the hope. I know of several already planning that.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #15 of 61
Hmmm. What would Constipation Odo say?

Good news. Still not selling some shares until after the split. I spent 6500 for 100 shares back in 2005, pre split. I'm playing with house money now 1smile.gif
post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is the hope. I know of several already planning that.

You can put my name on that list too.

post #17 of 61

Well my post got yanked.  That was a first.

All I pointed out was that the headline is editorializing.  

How do we know that "investors embrace capital reinvestment?"  Maybe that's not the main reason -- Apple has been repurchasing shares for a while, while the stock did not rise that much.

Reasons for a rise now?  Repurchases are only a small part, I think.  New products.  Good profits.  And the popping bubble of some of its competitors.  Safety of the stock relative to other techs.  Good fundamentals.  And shaking off the irrationality that punished AAPL for good performance while rewarding stocks like Amazon's for bleeding money/no profits.

Do not delete if you want my unsolicited opinions free of charge lol.

post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

How do we know that "investors embrace capital reinvestment?"  Maybe that's not the main reason -- Apple has been repurchasing shares for a while, while the stock did not rise that much.

Reasons for a rise now?  Repurchases are only a small part, I think.  New products.  Good profits.  And the popping bubble of some of its competitors.  Safety of the stock relative to other techs.  Good fundamentals.  And shaking off the irrationality that punished AAPL for good performance while rewarding stocks like Amazon's for bleeding money/no profits.

New products? What new products do we know about now that we didn't before the earnings call?
post #19 of 61

We 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

New products? What new products do we know about now that we didn't before the earnings call?

I meant we know new products are coming by the end of the year.

Therefore, in my opinion, the closer we get to the end of the year OR the unveiling of said products, the more the stock will rise.

And then of course it will go down the day after the unveiling or Dec 31, but that's beside the point.

I will also point out just for the heck of it that I bought my first APPL shares closer to 11.

post #20 of 61

Two years ago, I bought about 40 shares total at $535, $585, and $615. Glad I didn't sell when it dropped below $500. Now I just need to figure out the right time to sell.

post #21 of 61

Bought my first shares of AAPL at 6.29. Kind of funny in the 80's thought they would be worth nothing. Bought again in 2007 at 89.60. Again in 2009 at 85.30 my largest purchase. Bought in again 2013 at 429. 

Second best for me GE in 2009 at 7.10. Have to love post Jack Welch and the company being driven into the ground. 

post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Bought my first shares of AAPL at 6.29. Kind of funny in the 80's thought they would be worth nothing. Bought again in 2007 at 89.60. Again in 2009 at 85.30 my largest purchase. Bought in again 2013 at 429. 

Second best for me GE in 2009 at 7.10. Have to love post Jack Welch and the company being driven into the ground. 

Good for you! I hope you bought a truckload at $6.29.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 61

The real question is, after the split- how long until it hits $200?

so far this year we have increasing revenues, increasing profits on existing product lines.

a new product in a new category guaranteed by Tim Cook before the end of the year.

continued repurchase of shares causing increased stock price even with unchanged market cap.

decent dividend that will increase annually.

post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

so far this year we have increasing revenues, increasing profits on existing product lines.

a new product in a new category guaranteed by Tim Cook before the end of the year.

continued repurchase of shares causing increased stock price even with unchanged market cap.

I can imagine $100 post-split within 6 months (possibly sooner), but I wouldn't make any bets to that effect. It really depends on how any new products are received.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

$165 per share will make Apple a trillion dollar company. $200, at the current number of share adjusted for the split, would put Apple's market cap at $1.2 trillion. Or you can look at it as $200 x 7 = $1400 per share right now. That's a very long ways away even with nothing but hits every years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I can imagine $100 post-split within 6 months (possibly sooner), but I wouldn't make any bets to that effect. It really depends on how any new products are received.

$100 is only $700 per share readjusted. We've been there and I agree that 6 months is doable but i'd range it for a year.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

$100 is only $700 per share readjusted. We've been there and I agree that 6 months is doable but i'd range it for a year.

What time frame would you allow for a $200 per share scenario?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 61
Quote:

For Apple to be a $1.2 trillion dollar company? I couldn't even fathom a guess.

post #28 of 61
Quote:

Before I bought the stock late 2012 I wasn't really an Apple fan.  But after buying the stock and doing 'research' at Apple stores I began seeing the advantages of iOS and a closed system.  Since then I bought 2 iPads, 2 Apple TVs, MacMini, and 2 iPhone 5S.

If I do cash out on some of my shares I'll probably get an iWatch and MacBookAir. 

Too bad I didn't know more people like Wardc above back in 2000 to try to buy as much Apple stock as we could. I knew back then that Apple was making a comeback even though at that time everyone was still making fun of anyone using Apple products.

The thing that told me they were going to make a lot of money was getting my first iPod around 2000 to replace my walkman. Don't think many people realize how revolutionary this was at the time. Everyone else was still using cassette tape or CD and this made it possible to finally carry a ton of music with you if you did a lot of travelling around as I did since I was in the military at time. My walkmans would always breakdown within a year or less because I always had to have music when I went running and they couldn't take all the stress not to mention tape wearing out or cd's getting cracked or scratched, etc... That's also when I got my first Macbook laptop. No one got a Mac laptop back then even though they were the coolest and made out of titanium. Windows was a juggernaut overshadowing Apple was going to fade away. Anyways probably should've spent more time trying to make more money to buy Apple stock than trying to explain to all my friends and coworkers why I use Apple products and why they are superior to what they are used to...

post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Um, the stock has risen over 55% since they announced the $60B last April.   From $385 to $601.  Pretty sure the buyback/dividend/split is part of the rise.  Especially since the last 5 quarters only 1 quarter showed earnings growth.

post #30 of 61
Quote:

Lets slow down son.  

Even $100 won't be a guarantee and you want DOUBLE of that?  At todays prices that would be $1400 a share.

post #31 of 61
Quote:

Lets slow down son.  

Even $100 won't be a guarantee and you want DOUBLE of that?  At todays prices that would be $1400 a share.

1) Of course he wants it to double. He wants it to make him as wealthy as possible. What share holder wouldn't? Montgomery Brewster? 1biggrin.gif

2) He was just asking a hypothetical based on @iObserve's comment.

post #32 of 61
Since everybody is patting themselves on the back for timely purchases of AAPL, I guess I should be the counter-example:
Last spring I sold my Apple to buy Windows.

(In my defense, I had tripled my money and the old house needed 20 windows as it was drafty in the winter cold and summer heat. I still have a toe in, but up days make me nostalgic more than happy now...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #33 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Last spring I sold my Apple to buy Windows.

My first reading of that assumed you meant to write Microsoft.

post #34 of 61
Quote:

Mine, too. But he did that on purpose.
post #35 of 61

Fandroids have been very quiet in the past 2 months. Not that I'm complaining. I'm guessing people are starting to finally wakeup to the superiority of Apple's ecosystem. Even the ANALcysts can't spin Apple down anymore.

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #36 of 61
I see bozo Fred Wilson is at it again. http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/05/05/apple-fred-wilson-arrington/

One question I have is: he says Apple is doomed because they're too entrenched in hardware and hardware is increasingly becoming more of a commodity. Yet at the same time he knocks Apple for not being a bigger cloud player. Um, hello, isn't the cloud becoming more and more of a commodity? It seems every time I go to a tech site Google or Amazon are cutting their cloud pricing and then competitors follow suit. Who's making decent money in the cloud space right now?

And as far as hardware goes...people have been saying that about Apple since forever. I remember in the early 2000s Gartner wrote a white paper saying that Apple should get out of the hardware business and license OSX because they'll never be able to compete with companies like Dell. When are these people going to get a clue that Apple isn't selling hardware, they're selling products and experiences. Apple's hardware isn't commodity when the software it runs doesn't run on any other hardware.

I guess Fred must be pissed because he sold his stock back when it was ~$90/share.
post #37 of 61
Sog35, I sometimes wonder if that is how all of us can afford Apple's products.
post #38 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hmmm. What would Constipation Odo say?

If he found out AAPL broke $600 while Timmy Cook was in charge, his forehead would explode.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 61
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Mine, too. But he did that on purpose.
Yeah. I've used that joke a lot. It helped ease the pain of divesting myself of AAPL... :P
I bought at 170 and sold around 550. I was sure it was a peak but the stock continued a nearly vertical accent to 700 before collapsing!
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #40 of 61

The 7 for 1 split is genius, psychologically.

10 for 1 and we'd still be stuck at the same levels because people would just mentally move the decimal point. Oh, $53? That's the old $530. 

But with 7 for 1, you don't have people hanging onto those undervalued numbers. Most people can't easily eyeball a 1/7th division quickly, so they have a chance to revalue the stock without the gut feeling that is just somehow isn't worth more than x because that's where it had been sitting. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple stock breaks $600 threshold as investors embrace capital reinvestment