or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google updates Maps app for Apple's iOS with new navigation options and Uber integration

Google updates Maps app for Apple's iOS with new navigation options and Uber integration

post #1 of 52
Search giant Google on Tuesday unveiled a major update to its native Maps application, adding a slew of new navigation features such as lane guidance and walking time as well as the ability to book a ride from car hire service Uber directly from the app.

Google's latest update to Maps is a boon for both drivers and commuters who use public transportation. Those who spend their time in a car, for instance, can now have the app's turn-by-turn directions feature tell them which lane to drive in based on their route.

Public transportation aficionados will find that walking time has been added to transit routing, and the app will automatically show the next scheduled bus or train departure. Those who prefer a car service, meanwhile, can access Uber directly from the route options display.

The app's search options have also been updated. Points of interest such as hotels and restaurants can be sorted by rating, and users can now search using their voice.

Other enhancements include the ability to save offline maps to a custom list, a redesigned navigation mode, a new scale bar, iPhone and iPad contacts integration, Google Account support for saving new places, and new pin dropping functionality to share or save locations.

Google Maps version 3.0.0 is available now as a free, 13.4-megabyte download from the App Store.
post #2 of 52

I used Uber for the first time 2 weeks ago. The map they have embedded in their own iPhone app looks like it uses Google and it is pretty sweet because you can see where all of the near by rides are positioned and when your ride approaches you can see it live in real time.

I'll have to check out the new Google feature, but I'm curious why they bothered since the Uber implementation is so full featured already.

Anyway the Uber experience was good all around. I can certainly recommend it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #3 of 52
Apple really needs to step up with their maps system.
post #4 of 52

Yawn.  Perfectly happy with Apple Maps, thanks.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Byun View Post

Well, they made the lines and street names thinner and more elegant, and lowered the contrast in iOS 7. What more so you want? /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 52
Originally Posted by Joseph Byun View Post

The only thing I’d wish for is saving to the NAND of a set of directions when not connected to the Internet. So that when you go and do something else and Maps falls out of the device’s RAM you can still go back and see how to get where you’re going.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #7 of 52

Forget NSA, Big Google is watching you !

Am I the only one that find that integration more than a little creepy ?

post #8 of 52
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

What do you fund creepy about it?
post #9 of 52
Google maps: still the best mobile application ever built.
post #10 of 52
Google Maps is irrelevant for iOS users now WWDC will introduce new Apple map features to put the last nail in Google map's coffin.
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only thing I’d wish for is saving to the NAND of a set of directions when not connected to the Internet. So that when you go and do something else and Maps falls out of the device’s RAM you can still go back and see how to get where you’re going.

I believe, if you enter a search address and scroll down to the bottom, there is now a "save for Offline use" button.

I haven't tried this yet..

https://gigaom.com/2014/05/06/heres-the-button-to-save-google-maps-to-use-offline/

post #12 of 52
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
I believe, if you enter a search address and scroll down to the bottom, there is now a "save for Offline use" button.

Oh, I mean Apple’s; sorry. Context didn’t show that.

post #13 of 52
Still no terrain mode?
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Google Maps is irrelevant for iOS users now WWDC will introduce new Apple map features to put the last nail in Google map's coffin.
You have really high hopes for a unannounced and unreleased update. Google maps is the defacto mapping program right now. Most iOS users use Google maps and don't even consider apple maps a real choice.
post #15 of 52
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post
You have really high hopes for a unannounced and unreleased update.

It’s… Apple. And yeah, it’s announced.

Google maps is the defacto mapping program right now.

Nope.

Most iOS users use Google maps and don't even consider apple maps a real choice.

Uh… nope.

post #16 of 52
Quote:

Nope.

Uh… nope.

I have so many trolls on my "Block" list now, every time I open a new AI page it looks like a sea of shut posts by these people.

May be about time for you to be reinstated as a mod. ;) 

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #17 of 52

Apple gets spanked again.  I hope the Cook regime can keep up.  So far, no so good.

post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have so many trolls on my "Block" list now, every time I open a new AI page it looks like a sea of shut posts by these people.

May be about time for you to be reinstated as a mod. ;) 

TS is not impartial enough to be an effective mod, IMO.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #19 of 52
Google is absolutely crushing everybody in the Maps arena. Is there anyone who can even compete with them here?

The amount of information and data they have is unparalleled.
post #20 of 52
Quote:

You have really high hopes for a unannounced and unreleased update. Google maps is the defacto mapping program right now. Most iOS users use Google maps and don't even consider apple maps a real choice.

Can you expand on that a little since you don't cite any proof? I, like many iOS users, haven't used Google maps for a couple years, now. I live in the tri-state area, and, for my use, Apple's maps have been flawless. I've used it for travels from DE to ME without a single problem. I even prefer it over the navigation system in my new Infiniti G50 because the UI is so much better, which, IMO, outweighs the benefits of the integration between nav & vehicle.

That's just me.

Edited by Dickprinter - 5/6/14 at 3:06pm

post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

Apple gets spanked again.  I hope the Cook regime can keep up.  So far, no so good.

If nothing else, Apple put a tremendous amount of pressure on Google to improve their product.  Google Maps on iOS has gotten a lot better since Apple Maps was released.  GM now has turn by turn directions, for example.  If it wasn't for Apple, I doubt we would have seen as many improvements this quickly.  So even if I don't like AM, I'm glad they're still working on it.

post #22 of 52
Anyone who didn't keep up with the latest Google map vs Apple map should check this out...not to mention the indoor map Apple is expanding...http://readwrite.com/2014/03/12/apple-ios-8-fix-maps#awesm=~oD9K41LwqpZE8h
post #23 of 52
Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post

Here’s another one, SpamSandwich. 

OI. QUOTED PERSON. GO AWAY.

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post
TS is not impartial

I’ll agree with this part 100%. :lol: Look, I’m all for giving anything a fair shake, and you’d see that far more offline than not. This is an Apple website, I am an Apple fan, and if you’re going to lie about Apple here, I don’t see what right you have to continue. :\

Were it a generic tech website, that’s a completely different story.

post #24 of 52
Quote:

Here’s another one, SpamSandwich. 

OI. QUOTED PERSON. GO AWAY.

I’ll agree with this part 100%. :lol: Look, I’m all for giving anything a fair shake, and you’d see that far more offline than not. This is an Apple website, I am an Apple fan, and if you’re going to lie about Apple here, I don’t see what right you have to continue. :\

Were it a generic tech website, that’s a completely different story.

Dude, while humorous at times, your short, one word answers just piss people off. It does no one any good when you dispute a statement that is not backed up with any truth or citation....with an answer that also has no proof or citations. In fact, you're just as bad, IMO, even though you are defending the same company and are here for the same reason as I'm a member of AI; because we love all things Apple.

It's just contradiction and solves nothing. 

post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Google is absolutely crushing everybody in the Maps arena. Is there anyone who can even compete with them here?

The amount of information and data they have is unparalleled.

Nokia's Here Map is quite good in many ways.

Public transport, walk, speed limits, whole countries usable offline with full functionality.

On the downside, satellite views are not as HQ as Google Maps - at least not everywhere - and street view is much more limited.
post #26 of 52
Quote:

Nope.

Uh… nope.

Why is Google maps ranked 18th in free apps on the app store? While I will not waste my time arguing which service is better its fact that millions of iOS users prefer Google maps to apple maps. Humans are creatures of habit they will use an inferior product simply because they are use to it. Making a better product does not always win the race
post #27 of 52
Quote:

Why is Google maps ranked 18th in free apps on the app store? While I will not waste my time arguing which service is better its fact that millions of iOS users prefer Google maps to apple maps. Humans are creatures of habit they will use an inferior product simply because they are use to it. Making a better product does not always win the race

And where does Apple Maps rank? Where do you get the info that backs your claim that iOS users prefer Google maps over Apple's embedded app? The true measure of which is more popular and used most is the statistic showing which app is utilized more on iOS devices. And AFAIK, we, as consumers and users, are not privy to that information.

And do you realize you just stated that Apple's map app is better than Google maps? That's what I get from this quote: "Making a better product does not always win the race".

post #28 of 52
Quote:

Dude, while humorous at times, your short, one word answers just piss people off. It does no one any good when you dispute a statement that is not backed up with any truth or citation....with an answer that also has no proof or citations. In fact, you're just as bad, IMO, even though you are defending the same company and are here for the same reason as I'm a member of AI; because we love all things Apple.

"No it isn't." (I couldn't resist...one of my all-time favorite Python routines)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 52
Quote:

Dude, while humorous at times, your short, one word answers just piss people off.

No it doesn't.
Quote:
It does no one any good when you dispute a statement that is not backed up with any truth or citation....with an answer that also has no proof or citations.

Yes it does.

Quote:

A one word rebuttal from a credible, well known contributor such as TS is all it takes to set the record straight. The original troll doesn't deserve a longer answer with citations to rebut the drivel they post.
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"No it isn't." (I couldn't resist...one of my all-time favorite Python routines)

Mine too, and I'm reminded of it each and every time I see a simple, contradictory reply.

I have to admit, some of the posts here also remind me of the Upper-Class Twit of the Year sketch. 

I bet some here would lose to all of the twits in the second to last challenge. :lol: 

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

Nope I've been with you all along, concerned about every Google change, which I know will increase their spying capability.   Google's spying is scary particularly when Apple assists Google to rob your iOS Calendar, Notes and Accounts files, via Googles Apple assisted Gmail setup.

As for the best Maps, both Apple Maps and Google's Maps have  their strong and weak points.   Both can lose me!

But I have to keep Google Maps around for their extremely useful street view.

post #32 of 52

I care about the efficiency of turn by turn directions.  I hate when mapping applications lead people around in circles, such as saying to drive 3 blocks straight ahead, make a U-turn, then drive 3 blocks straight ahead, then turn left.  I could have just (legally) turned right in the first place!!  Or when a program tells you to take a long winding route on 3 different freeways when you could stay on the same freeway and get to your location faster.  Has anyone compared the frequency of ridiculous directions given by Apple Maps vs. Google Maps?

post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I care about the efficiency of turn by turn directions.  I hate when mapping applications lead people around in circles, such as saying to drive 3 blocks straight ahead, make a U-turn, then drive 3 blocks straight ahead, then turn left.  I could have just (legally) turned right in the first place!!  Or when a program tells you to take a long winding route on 3 different freeways when you could stay on the same freeway and get to your location faster.  Has anyone compared the frequency of ridiculous directions given by Apple Maps vs. Google Maps?

I've had similar occurrences with the traditional GPS units also.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 52
Quote:

The "defacto mapping program" on a platform that does not let users set it as the default mapping program? The only reason a user would use GMaps is if the additional accuracy outweighs the hassle of having to manually copy-paste addresses from other apps. Apps on iOS can integrate with Google Maps (or with any other third-party app) only if they explicitly hard-code support, and you can be pretty sure that the default browser on iOS won't do that.

post #35 of 52
Quote:

Nope.

Uh… nope.

Hate to cross you TS, but you are right only as far as the US, and probably a few other countries are concerned.

In India, iOS Maps does not even return search results. That  makes it pretty much useless for navigation and the only thing I can use it for is to virtually fly over Battersea Power Station in London or something.

To get from one place to another and to find places, Google Maps is the only real choice we have. I tried Nokia's Here Maps but they weren't as good.

post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Anyone who didn't keep up with the latest Google map vs Apple map should check this out...not to mention the indoor map Apple is expanding...http://readwrite.com/2014/03/12/apple-ios-8-fix-maps#awesm=~oD9K41LwqpZE8h

"...sources close to Apple say that in iOS 8, Maps will introduce public transportation options for buses, trains and subways for most major cities in the U.S.—including Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco"

Whoopie. Meanwhile, those of us who reside anywhere that's not a major American city...

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #37 of 52
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #38 of 52
It does no one any good when you dispute a statement that is not backed up with any truth or citation....with an answer that also has no proof or citations.

But you’ll notice that I only do that when the answer is so blindingly obvious that it isn’t worth the energy on our part to disprove.

Why is Google maps ranked 18th in free apps on the app store?

Why is that question relevant?

…they will use an inferior product simply because they are use to it.

Humans are also lazy. They often won’t seek out a change unless they have to, and when what they’re changing to is worse than what they have…

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

In India, iOS Maps does not even return search results.

Hmm. What do you mean by this? Results when searched for in a search engine on a computer? Results when looking for a location using the service itself? I can’t imagine either is true, and in fact know it not to be. You’ll have to be more specific.

post #39 of 52
What I'd really like to see in Apple maps (especially for OSX) is for it to be programmable, scriptable and controllable by track point files -- Especially 3D Flyover ...

You can Jerry rig iOS Maps to kinda' do this as the examples below, show -- but it would be great if Apple provided direct support for manipulating their Maps apps procramatically/procedurally.

Edit: Oh, and 3D Flyover for Washington DC ... really!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/7/14 at 7:41am

post #40 of 52
Should have embeded Lyft not Uber!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google updates Maps app for Apple's iOS with new navigation options and Uber integration
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google updates Maps app for Apple's iOS with new navigation options and Uber integration