or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nintendo loses another half-billion dollars as console sales slide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nintendo loses another half-billion dollars as console sales slide

post #1 of 76
Thread Starter 
Legendary game maker Nintendo reported the results of its last fiscal year on Wednesday, revealing losses of 46.4 billion yen, or $457 million, for the 12-month period ending in March.




Nintendo's tablet-driven Wii U game console was a particular disappointment, moving just 2.72 million units globally for the year. A total of 18.86 million software units were also sold during the fiscal year.

The company admitted that looking forward, the Wii U faces a "challenging sales situation." Nintendo plans to differentiate its system from competitors, like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, by focusing on titles that utilize the Wii U gamepad.

The Japanese company's handheld Nintendo 3DS continues to be a relatively strong performer in the face of smartphones, however, moving 12.24 million units. In addition, 67.89 million 3DS games were also sold over the last year.

But portable devices running Apple's iOS and Google's Android have been rapidly altering the portable gaming landscape. Gaming revenue from Google's Play Store and Apple's App Store was said to be four times greater than what Sony and Nintendo see from their dedicated gaming devices as of last August.

Wii U


Apple has made efforts to compete more directly with Nintendo for traditional gamers by allowing new Made for iPhone certified gaming controllers, which began to hit the market late last year. These accessories bring physical controls to Apple's iOS platform, allowing users more precise input in traditional-style games that may not benefit from a touchscreen.

There are also rumors that Apple may be jumping into the home game console business with a forthcoming update to its Apple TV platform. Speculation has suggested that Apple may be planning to add a third-party App Store and gaming support to its set-top box lineup -- moves that would turn the device into a sort of iOS-based game console for HDTVs.

That would place Apple in direct competition with not only Nintendo's Wii U, but also Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4, representing the current generation of gaming consoles. Those devices, which sell for much more than the $99 Apple TV, also offer media streaming functions and the ability to buy or rent content.
post #2 of 76
Why doesn't Apple just design & sell its own controller?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 76
Pro gamers are going back to PC and casual gamers are going to mobile. The console is slowly becoming what Steve Jobs called a 'tweener, and in-between device that's not as good as the ones either side.
post #4 of 76
I guess I'm tired of Nintendo rehashing their old titles - changing them up just enough to barely make the game different for it's next console.

I saw nothing in the Wii U that wanted me to upgrade.
post #5 of 76
At the bare minimum Nintendo should be porting their old games over to iOS. The success of that horrible Flappy Bird game should've been a clear indication to them for pent up demand

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Pro gamers are going back to PC and casual gamers are going to mobile. The console is slowly becoming what Steve Jobs called a 'tweener, and in-between device that's not as good as the ones either side.

In some cases but Sony and Microsoft are selling better than ever:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/microsoft-hits-5-million-milestone-for-xbox-one-as-sonys-lead-grows/

They've only been on sale for 5-6 months and are at 7 million PS4 and 5 million XBone. It's just Nintendo struggling because their audience is moving to tablets and smartphones. Sony's and Microsoft's audience isn't and while PC gaming has grown, the audience can't shift from the consoles to it if the games don't. GTA V isn't on the PC.

Nintendo has a lot of cash to keep them going but I'd say the Wii U puts them out of the console business. No way they'll make another standalone console box. They have no choice but to focus on mobile completely. IMO they should do it now and kill the Wii U off.
post #7 of 76

Apple should throw a billion dollars at Nintendo for all their games and bring them exclusively to iOS.

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

Reply
post #8 of 76
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
I saw nothing in the Wii U that wanted me to upgrade.

 

One of my biggest problems with the WiiU is that it doesn’t upconvert Wii games to 1080. Had Nintendo done that, they would have had tens of millions of launch day sales as people with Wii would have just upgraded for their EXISTING games.

 

Dolphin can do that, for heaven’s sake! You’re telling me that the actual hardware designed to play the games can’t?!

 

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
At the bare minimum Nintendo should be porting their old games over to iOS.

 

A move which would net the company tens of billions of dollars is a “bare minimum”? ;)

 

I think that’s exactly what they should do. Everything the NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube had to offer should be available in the App Store.

 

When the WiiU is superseded, then Wii games should go in the App Store. WiiU games when it’s successor is replaced. That then gives plenty of incentive to keep buying modern Nintendo hardware and games when they’re released.

 

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Nintendo has a lot of cash to keep them going but I'd say the Wii U puts them out of the console business. No way they'll make another standalone console box. They have no choice but to focus on mobile completely. IMO they should do it now and kill the Wii U off.
 

You’re right about more things than can be counted, Marvin, but not this. The WiiU suffered from a design crew hit on the head with a brick and a marketing crew hit on the head with a dump truck full of bricks. I don’t think one failure says much about Nintendo. Their last flop this bad was in the ‘80s.

post #9 of 76
I have a Wii U, and really like it. I don't get time to play games a lot so it has enough to keep me going. Nintendo always wants to have a lower cost console, and I think it hurt them this time because they didn't have a new differentiator like the Wii did to entice gamers to buy it. The second screen (GamePad) just wasn't as well received as it could have been. The GamePad is great for some games, but it is under-utilitized by others. The DS took a while for devs to figure out how to make good use of a second screen, so hopefully the same will happen with the Wii U.
post #10 of 76
One iOS/Android Super Mario Bros game with a few IAPs and they'll turn that half billion loss into a billion dollar gain.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #11 of 76

How about that. Ten replies and nobody has yet called this NintendoInsider.  ;) 

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #12 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How about that. Ten replies and nobody has yet called this NintendoInsider.  1wink.gif  

You did...the spell is broken. 😃

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

At the bare minimum Nintendo should be porting their old games over to iOS. The success of that horrible Flappy Bird game should've been a clear indication to them for pent up demand
Bingo! Excellent point. 1smile.gif this is what every company should be thinking. Get on iOS or die. Even MS has put Office on iOS.
post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

How about that. Ten replies and nobody has yet called this NintendoInsider.  ;) 

 

So what does this have to do with Apple? Yet MORE reporting on un-Apple related things. They've already missed a shit load of stories this morning yet they continue to spew out crap unrelated to Apple. 

 

I seriously think they need to change the name of their site to something else. Really, they report on everything so I think the site needs a new name. Maybe TechInsider or something. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

At the bare minimum Nintendo should be porting their old games over to iOS. 

They will go bankrupt before they realize that they should have started THIS ^ in 2009.

post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Pro gamers are going back to PC and casual gamers are going to mobile. The console is slowly becoming what Steve Jobs called a 'tweener, and in-between device that's not as good as the ones either side.

 

As has already been pointed out. This isn't exactly true, but it is close enough.

 

Serious gamers have always bought PCs, Playstations, or XBoxes.

 

The problem with Nintendo is that their demographic, casual gamers and kids, has been consumed by smartphones and tablets. Both of these demographics are heavily into the smartphone and tablet hardware market now. Couple this with the new Amazon Fire TV and an upgraded AppleTV with an app store (we all know it is coming soon) and the casual gaming market for not only handheld hardware will be lost, but so will the casual gaming hardware market for the TV. They aren't going to get these markets back any more than point-and-click cameras, MP3 players, or netbooks are going to. 

 

Nintendo is a doomed company unless they finally wake up and realize that they will never be big in hardware any more. They need to forget about hardware and focus on games. I find it very telling that EA announced that they did so well that they are considering a stock buyback, but Nintendo lost money, and it all seems to be because of their hardware fixation.

post #17 of 76

Idea for Tim Cook:

 

Give Nintendo few billion dollars for exclusive rights to Nintendo games. All future Nintendo games will be for iOS and they can then stop hemorrhaging money and Apple will attract more buyers for their hardware.

post #18 of 76

If CandyCrush can make Billions in revenue a year imagine how much Zelda, Mario, Metroid, ect could make?

 

What a lost opportunity for Nintendo.

 

King that makes CandyCrush netted over $500M from that single game last year. 

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Reply
post #19 of 76
To me, the new Wii U controller looks huge and plasticky. The games look pretty good from what I've seen so far. But the only reason my son plays the Wii instead of the PS3 is due to the Mario games. That seems to be Nintendo's ace in the hole.

I agree that N could do pretty well to port that fat plumber over to iOS.
post #20 of 76

I didn't think the Wii U was that big of a deal.

 

They didn't market it very well.  For the last year if I go to Best Buy or some place, they had demos for the other consoles and not the Wii U.

 

I actually went to  a GameStop with my friend regarding getting something for his son.  I tried out the Wii U, playing Kranky Kong with the nunchucks.  I decided I needed to buy it immediately. 

 

Got the WindWaker edition and I love it.  Actually I haven't had that much fun with playing games in a long time.

 

Also.  I think Nintendo shouldn't port games over to iOS.  I really don't like iOS gaming, and have never had anything really draw me in like it did with DS/3DS games.  There's just something about making software for specific hardware. 

 

Can't wait for Marion Kart 8.

post #21 of 76
Why can't I upload a photo from my iPhone?
post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I guess I'm tired of Nintendo rehashing their old titles - changing them up just enough to barely make the game different for it's next console.

I saw nothing in the Wii U that wanted me to upgrade.

 

You clearly have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Tell me, why was Mario Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U one of the most highly rated games- ever? Every review was dripping with praise. It was one of the most creative, and genius games I've ever played. Is that cause Nintendo changed it up "just enough"? No, it's because Nintendo uses the familiarity of its franchises, then creates games that are truly something special, going above and beyond- the visuals are merely a skin, the games are filled to the brim with new mechanics and the ideas are often brand new. Thats why the upcoming Mario Kart has also been in development for so long- when Nintendo could have easily "rehashed" it much earlier and got a shitloaf of sales as its system-seller. Same with the upcoming Smash Bros, which has been in development forever. Nintendo shares Apple's philosophy- release things when they're ready. The Wii U has some of the best, and most original games this generation. So many are very highly You didn't want to upgrade because you superficially wrote Nintendo off, without actually caring about quality. What do Xbox/PS4 has that would motive you to upgrade? Its just more of the same. So stop trolling. What an idiotic comment to make in face of all the recycled FPS/driving/etc franchises that obviously you dont mind on other consoles. 

post #23 of 76

You know this was coming, so I'll indulge you. Apple should just buy this company outright. Culturally, they're a perfect match for each other.

post #24 of 76

I know for a fact that Nintendo could make a windfall profit by porting their Mario and Zelda titles over to the iOS platform...no doubt. HUGE demand for this!!

post #25 of 76
Give me rocksmith on the appletv and I'm sold (throw in assassins creed for goo measure). So I can skip the next gen consoles
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

I know for a fact that Nintendo could make a windfall profit by porting their Mario and Zelda titles over to the iOS platform...no doubt. HUGE demand for this!!

That is their last, best hope. That or merge with Blackberry and add a real keyboard ... Ok that was facetious.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

Give me rocksmith on the appletv and I'm sold (throw in assassins creed for goo measure). So I can skip the next gen consoles

I have to think the next Apple TV will support 4K too.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I have a Wii U, and really like it. I don't get time to play games a lot so it has enough to keep me going. Nintendo always wants to have a lower cost console, and I think it hurt them this time because they didn't have a new differentiator like the Wii did to entice gamers to buy it. The second screen (GamePad) just wasn't as well received as it could have been. The GamePad is great for some games, but it is under-utilitized by others. The DS took a while for devs to figure out how to make good use of a second screen, so hopefully the same will happen with the Wii U.

I also love my Wii U. The GamePad is absolutely fantastic, but many developers do not utilize it to its fullest capacity. Obviously all the party games use it in fun and interesting ways, but others don't. Rayman is an example of it done right and was so terrific that I recommend that to everyone. My Wii U collection is now even larger than my Xbox 360 ever was. I think for anyone even considering buying a Wii U, they should grab one. They will not be disappointed. So much fun! Mario Kart 8 is going to be awesome and I simply canNOT wait for its release. The Wii U has made me excited for video games again in a way that I have not been for years.
post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


That is their last, best hope. That or merge with Blackberry and add a real keyboard ... Ok that was facetious.

People have been waiting for Nintendo to port the Mario series as sell as Zelda to the iOS for a long time. But since Nintendo sells their proprietary Nintendo DS systems for playing these titles specifically, they are not allowing this to happen. They are keeping the Mario ecosystem, a closed one, and only playable on Nintendo branded hardware or consoles.

post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
They are keeping the Mario ecosystem, a closed one, and only playable on Nintendo branded hardware or consoles.

 

And that's working out real well for them, isn't it?

 

Nintendo needs to swallow their damn pride and recognize that the gaming industry and gaming trends have changed. 

 

It's time for Nintendo to join 2014 and release their titles for iOS.

 

I love Nintendo games, but I'm not interested in buying any Nintendo hardware. This is not 1985 anymore. I would definitely buy some Nintendo titles to play on my iOS devices though, and so would many millions of other people.

post #31 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

And that's working out real well for them, isn't it?

 

Nintendo needs to swallow their damn pride and recognize that the gaming industry and gaming trends have changed. 

 

It's time for Nintendo to join 2014 and release their titles for iOS.

 

I love Nintendo games, but I'm not interested in buying any Nintendo hardware. This is not 1985 anymore. I would definitely buy some Nintendo titles to play on my iOS devices though, and so would many millions of other people.

Yes I agree with this. I love Nintendo's titles, but I have not owned a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo. Not even a mobile console since the Game Boy!

post #32 of 76
Nintendo could port all their titles to every other device, but then they would never have any success again in the hardware business. Its essentially what Sega did after the Dreamcast flopped.

Seems a bit drastic though, to throw a whole business away when your latest version of a console is a dud. The Game Cube wasn't that great and at the time it seemed like they were going to die in hardware. But then the Wii came out and everyone bought it, even non gamers bought it.

If the next console fails, then they need to give up. Right now they just need to minimise losses and work on a plan for the next console or other device.
post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Yes I agree with this. I love Nintendo's titles, but I have not owned a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo. Not even a mobile console since the Game Boy!

An exclusive for iOS would be good but I worry their main audience are mostly an Android demographic now, not iOS, or am I wrong?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


An exclusive for iOS would be good but I worry their main audience are mostly an Android demographic now, not iOS, or am I wrong?

I think that you're wrong, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that you're wrong. Where did you ever get that crazy idea?

 

Nintendo is obviously Japanese, and iOS is huge in Japan. Japan is not some third world country that flocks to Android like certain poor countries do. Look up the iOS stats and marketshare for Japan (iPhone, iPad), compared to other countries and you'll see what I mean.

 

As far as games in general goes, the audience is all mostly iOS. That's where the consumers with money are. Nintendo would obviously be concentrating on releasing their titles for iOS before anything else, unless they wish to continue losing money.

post #35 of 76
Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

Can't wait for Marion Kart 8.

 

It certainly looks nice, though the racer lineup is pretty pathetic given the scope of the Mario franchise. I remain interested in the new Super Smash Bros, but not enough to justify a WiiU purchase outright. And Pikmin 3 would be fun to play; I certainly enjoyed the first two.

 

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
An exclusive for iOS would be good but I worry their main audience are mostly an Android demographic now, not iOS, or am I wrong?

 

Hmm. I’m not sure where you’d get that. Nintendo is basically the Apple of gaming.

post #36 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

If CandyCrush can make Billions in revenue a year imagine how much Zelda, Mario, Metroid, ect could make?

 

What a lost opportunity for Nintendo.

 

King that makes CandyCrush netted over $500M from that single game last year. 

 

Which means that ONE Nintendo title on the App Store could potentially offset the company-wide losses for the calendar year.

 

Unbelievable how stubborn they are. Stereotypically, the Japanese are notorious for this behavior....running things into the ground instead of ever admitting defeat, and making any rational attempt to salvage things. Nintendo is likely no exception, and will drown before ever reach for the life preserver that sitting right in front of them.

post #37 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How about that. Ten replies and nobody has yet called this NintendoInsider.  1wink.gif  

I came her specifically to look to see who would make that comment. I guess that only happens (in a serious manner) when the company is despised.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #38 of 76

I'd suspect unless Apple release their major AppleTV update with support for iOS 7 controllers, Amazon's FireTV might start eating more of the market share from Nintendo and Apple. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why doesn't Apple just design & sell its own controller?

 

They are probably biding their time. It's better to let others try and fail then to build your own by learning from the failures. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

So what does this have to do with Apple? Yet MORE reporting on un-Apple related things. They've already missed a shit load of stories this morning yet they continue to spew out crap unrelated to Apple. 

 

I seriously think they need to change the name of their site to something else. Really, they report on everything so I think the site needs a new name. Maybe TechInsider or something. 

 

It has to do with Apple because Apple's pretty much owning the casual gaming market, which Nintendo used to be the dominant market leader. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
 

You know this was coming, so I'll indulge you. Apple should just buy this company outright. Culturally, they're a perfect match for each other.

 

I agree, I'd love to see Apple buy Nintendo and but I wouldn't let Nintendo do hardware. They don't seem to have a good grasp on that considering the losses they've kept gathering on their consoles. 


Nintendo has the best creative first-party libraries of games on the planet. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
 

People have been waiting for Nintendo to port the Mario series as sell as Zelda to the iOS for a long time. But since Nintendo sells their proprietary Nintendo DS systems for playing these titles specifically, they are not allowing this to happen. They are keeping the Mario ecosystem, a closed one, and only playable on Nintendo branded hardware or consoles.

Nintendo won't have a choice unless they drop out of the console market and only focus on handheld gaming market to stop bleeding from its console devision, they won't have enough money to fund development of further Mario and other first party IPs they have.

 

However, that handheld market is pretty much dominated by Apple/Google, Nintendo won't survive long there.  Android devices are getting cheaper and cheaper while increasing its quality every year. The most recent is nVidia Shield. 

 

Mario and other IPs will show up on other consoles as the last resort. 

post #39 of 76
My son has a Wii. What we found disappointing is that recent multiple platform games are available for both 3DS and WiiU but not Wii such as the latest Lego or don't have all the functions on Wii such as Disney infinity. I guess they hope we will purchase a WiiU but nothing I have seen has really sold the upgrade. Hands on at the local toy store has done nothing to make us want to upgrade either. Perhaps if they did more to sell the advantages we might change our mind.
post #40 of 76
Originally Posted by Dachar View Post
nothing I have seen has really sold the upgrade.

 

1080p, full backward compatibility, modern connectivity support (as you mentioned), playable without taking up a television in the house…

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nintendo loses another half-billion dollars as console sales slide