or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nintendo loses another half-billion dollars as console sales slide

Nintendo loses another half-billion dollars as console sales slide - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It certainly looks nice, though the racer lineup is pretty pathetic given the scope of the Mario franchise. I remain interested in the new Super Smash Bros, but not enough to justify a WiiU purchase outright. And Pikmin 3 would be fun to play; I certainly enjoyed the first two.

Hmm. I’m not sure where you’d get that. Nintendo is basically the Apple of gaming.

I was thinking the age of those that would be interested would be quite young. Sorry not my area of knowledge.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #42 of 76
I most definitely would not hold my breath for Nintendo to develop games for their competitors' consoles/devices. They literally have billions in reserve to sustain them for quite a while. 3DS sales remain very strong and will keep Nintendo going until Wii U sales pick up.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/nintendo-not-doomed/

For those of you still on the fence about buying a Wii U, and if the current games lineup and some great stuff coming very soon aren't enough to entice you (but really, compared to many of the Apple products you've all shelled out for, $300 bucks is a steal), then I would recommend you wait for a couple months. To coincide with Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Zelda, X, Project Cars, Watch Dogs (and others, but those all come to mind immediately), and countless indie projects, a $50 price reduction is very strongly rumored to be coming. Seriously, the system is tons of fun; you won't be disappointed.
post #43 of 76

1st Nintendo game on iOS this time next year is my guess.

post #44 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

1st Nintendo game on iOS this time next year is my guess.

They really have nothing to lose by leveraging old platform titles that are no longer sold.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #45 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They really have nothing to lose by leveraging old platform titles that are no longer sold.

They are still selling them on the Nintendo Network, that's the problem. If you have a Wii U, Wii or 3DS you can get all their old, successful games. I'm telling you, there won't be Nintendo games on any mobile platform for a very long time. The Wii U isn't dead yet and Nintendo is expecting sales to pick up. The only way any of that will change is if the current president/CEO of Nintendo, Sarotu Iwata steps down or is replaced by the far more popular and forward-thinking Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.
post #46 of 76
Nintendo had a great hardware idea in the Wii & squandered it. There was so much untapped potential there that Wii hackers were begging them to take advantage of but they failed.

The WiiU should have been the WiiHD & included features like motion tracking of a user's head to create a 3D effect for certain single player games, or wearable IR LEDs to create motion tracking & achieve what the Xbox has but in a more reliable form. Nintendo isn't failing at the console market because people are loosing interest in consoles, they are failing because they are stuck on the same old business model they introduced back in the 1980s/90s.
post #47 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

The Wii U isn't dead yet and Nintendo is expecting sales to pick up.

They've been saying that since the first losses started rolling in.

Not a good indicator, just saying.

post #48 of 76
Apple should buy Nintendo, make a way to download virtual console games to AppleTV or iOS, create a digital for disc exchange to get downloadable version of current optical drive games, and link up all Ninetndo connect and Nintendo WiFi games with GameCenter. Perhaps even a Mac based console emulator?
post #49 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Nintendo had a great hardware idea in the Wii & squandered it. There was so much untapped potential there that Wii hackers were begging them to take advantage of but they failed.

The WiiU should have been the WiiHD & included features like motion tracking of a user's head to create a 3D effect for certain single player games, or wearable IR LEDs to create motion tracking & achieve what the Xbox has but in a more reliable form. Nintendo isn't failing at the console market because people are loosing interest in consoles, they are failing because they are stuck on the same old business model they introduced back in the 1980s/90s.

As much as I love Nintendo (rivaled only by my love for Apple and DC Comics), I am afraid that I completely agree with you.
post #50 of 76

I don't Nintendo's loss is a reflection of console gaming itself, but the type of audience that Nintendo caters to, compared to Playstation and Xbox.

post #51 of 76
I think I should clear up some of the air around the wii u. Not alone is it a fun console to play, but the increasing VC store is awesome. most of the old classics are available and I still love to play, considering they actually were challangeing. I just picked up a XB1 and I'm not impressed at all. People make fun of NIN for rehashing old titles, but it's those old franchises that make me still buy a nintendo console. I love Mario, Zelda and Metroid and to this days have played every major console release of each title and beat them.

I can't tell you the last time I bought a xbox game other then titanfall and again, not impressed, and actually beat that game. I sti have some games in their original wrappers not even opened. These newer games just don't so it for me anymore. they aren't challanging and for the most part lack that memorable feel that nintendo games have.

So at the end of the day. F*** Sony and MS. keep doing what your doing Nintendo. You'll always have a fanboy and a loyal customer with me.
post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusMaximus View Post

I think I should clear up some of the air around the wii u. Not alone is it a fun console to play, but the increasing VC store is awesome. most of the old classics are available and I still love to play, considering they actually were challangeing. I just picked up a XB1 and I'm not impressed at all. People make fun of NIN for rehashing old titles, but it's those old franchises that make me still buy a nintendo console. I love Mario, Zelda and Metroid and to this days have played every major console release of each title and beat them.

I can't tell you the last time I bought a xbox game other then titanfall and again, not impressed, and actually beat that game. I sti have some games in their original wrappers not even opened. These newer games just don't so it for me anymore. they aren't challanging and for the most part lack that memorable feel that nintendo games have.

So at the end of the day. F*** Sony and MS. keep doing what your doing Nintendo. You'll always have a fanboy and a loyal customer with me.

Thank you. Me too. I second all of those notions. Actually having a Wii U is the only way to enjoy all the great games playable on the system, including all the classics.
post #53 of 76
Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post
Thank you. Me too. I second all of those notions. Actually having a Wii U is the only way to enjoy all the great games playable on the system, including all the classics.

A simple way to ensure retention of users would be for them to keep forward-compatibilizing previous purchases. I don’t know if they already do (if so, bravo), but say you purchased a classic game on the Wii. If that’s portable to the WiiU (and upward further), in addition to the single previous console worth of physical backward compatibility, Nintendo would be assuring digital purchase compatibility, which goes a long way in people’s minds.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #54 of 76
There are 3 companies in the world that I would consider worthwhile acquisition targets for Apple - both in terms of offering ways to cover gaps in Apple's strategy, and in terms of helping Apple compete effectively with the competition.

These three are Yahoo, Echostar, and Nintendo.

Yahoo because they have expertise in cloud and internet services, which Apple has usually found it difficult to crack, because it allows Apple a foothold in Search to turn the screws on Google, and most importantly, because Yahoo has made valuable investments in Internet companies around the world that can be leveraged by Apple. Yahoo is struggling in search, but if they become default search engine in iOS, just that one change would be enough to reverse the tide. The culture is also a good fit.

Echostar runs Dish Network, gives Apple back door access to distribution rights for TV Content, allows Apple to bypass cable and DSL options using satellite to deliver TV content to users. It also owns Slingbox, which will be extremely valuable in the future as time and place shifting become valuable add-ons to a future iTunes based TV service. If Apple doesn't own this IP, it will probably be forced to pay a lot to Echostar for this.

Nintendo has valuable content, which can be monetized on a very large scale by Apple. Having this content on exclusive basis will also help Apple create significant differentiation vis-a-vis the Play Store. Also, while Apple has made huge strides in software development, it still is lagging behind in games, both on iOS and the Mac Platforms. Buying Nintendo when it is weak is probably a cheaper alternative for the long run.

From valuation perspectives also, these deals make some sense - While these companies have higher multiples than Apple, they "yield" more than what Apple earns on its cash holdings, in terms of earnings. Apple has till now not shown any interest in large deals, but these are the deals it should be looking at, if it ever decides to do large deals.

These companies are in many ways, the struggling underdogs in their respective sectors. A healthy dose of backing from Apple can do wonders to change their fortunes.
post #55 of 76
Quote:

A simple way to ensure retention of users would be for them to keep forward-compatibilizing previous purchases. I don’t know if they already do (if so, bravo), but say you purchased a classic game on the Wii. If that’s portable to the WiiU (and upward further), in addition to the single previous console worth of physical backward compatibility, Nintendo would be assuring digital 
purchase
compatibility, which goes a long way in people’s minds.
yes they have already implemented that system. A VC purchase to be ported to the wii u is only $1.00 to $1.50 to be upgraded to the wii u version. basically one that was optimized for 1080p. which if you ask me I'm fine with. some of the pricing for the older games could be adjusted. But at the end of the day, $5 for a classic game is better then the $20 download of an original xbox game.

ohh I also though I should mention that the wii u doesn't need to download and save the game to the consoles memory, like the other 2 do. so that right there is a huge plus. having to "install" a game on a console is pointless. that's what the disc is for. at that point I might as well as get the PC/Mac version, God knows it'll run better anyway.
post #56 of 76
Originally Posted by ClaudiusMaximus View Post
A VC purchase to be ported to the wii u is only $1.00 to $1.50 to be upgraded to the wii u version.

AHHHHHHHH NO THAT’S AWFUL!

basically one that was optimized for 1080p.

Wait, it gets upconverted, too? Eh… fine, the payment makes sense… :grumble: Thanks for the info!

But at the end of the day, $5 for a classic game is better then the $20 download of an original xbox game.

Except maybe Halo, as overhyped as it is. Oh, did you see that they remade Halo graphically? Now there’s an idea… Think they changed the physics engine, too, but that’s understandable. Anyway, if Nintendo is so set on having so many psychotic remakes these days, why not announce Super Mario 64 WiiU at E3 this year, being like 64 DS in scope but graphically updated to be all WiiUy and beautiful?

Though some think they’ll be announcing new hardware entirely this year, which sort of makes sense.

ohh I also though I should mention that the wii u doesn't need to download and save the game to the consoles memory, like the other 2 do.

Oh, yes; I’ve never understood that about the Xbox or Playstation. Rather, I have understood it, but its necessity in being there only serves to underline the insurmountable limitations of modern consoles.

having to "install" a game on a console is pointless. that's what the disc is for.

Well, you’re seeing here the same problem that Apple decided to ignore: discs are slow. 

at that point I might as well as get the PC/Mac version, God knows it'll run better anyway.

Hey, if you’d be so kind as to point me to a PC/Mac version of The Last of Us* (not the lesbian children expansion), feel free. One word, man: exclusives. I’m 100% fine with it regarding Nintendo properties because that fits their company personality. But Nintendo and Sony (the former in particular) would be served better releasing at least a PC version of every single game.

Oh, speaking of consoles again, 720p. Nintendo does every game in 1080, but the PS4 and Xbone are stuck at 720. 720p30. Not 60. 30. How is that good? How is that even acceptable? Lower resolution and FAR fewer assets on screen than a PC game. Never understood any company but Nintendo in this regard. But hey, that’s what you get when you steal technology from the innovator. 

*Then again, TLOA is just a movie, so I’m not really sure why I’m interested in playing it. From the playthroughs I’ve watched, it just looks like it feels good to handle. Haven’t had a modern game like that in a while.

post #57 of 76
Quote:

Oh, speaking of consoles again, 720p. Nintendo does every game in 1080, but the PS4 and Xbone are stuck at 720. 720p30. Not 60. 30. How is that good? How is that even acceptable? Lower resolution and FAR fewer assets on screen than a PC game.

Why spend the extra money on optimization for 1080p 60 when legions of people will buy the game at 720 30? Especially when the majority don't care and would sadomasochistically prefer it?

"60 FPS Doesn't matter! At least the fake tessellation that they never properly implemented but I can't tell the difference is in here!"

Considering how much console games average, and how publishers are so deathly afraid to release Digital numbers for their PC games, as far as I'm concerned why do more?

post #58 of 76
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post
Why spend the extra money on optimization for 1080p 60 when legions of people will buy the game at 720 30?

And people wonder why I hate Sony and Microsoft.

post #59 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

There are 3 companies in the world that I would consider worthwhile acquisition targets for Apple - both in terms of offering ways to cover gaps in Apple's strategy, and in terms of helping Apple compete effectively with the competition.

These three are Yahoo, Echostar, and Nintendo.

Yahoo because they have expertise in cloud and internet services, which Apple has usually found it difficult to crack, because it allows Apple a foothold in Search to turn the screws on Google, and most importantly, because Yahoo has made valuable investments in Internet companies around the world that can be leveraged by Apple. Yahoo is struggling in search, but if they become default search engine in iOS, just that one change would be enough to reverse the tide. The culture is also a good fit.

Echostar runs Dish Network, gives Apple back door access to distribution rights for TV Content, allows Apple to bypass cable and DSL options using satellite to deliver TV content to users. It also owns Slingbox, which will be extremely valuable in the future as time and place shifting become valuable add-ons to a future iTunes based TV service. If Apple doesn't own this IP, it will probably be forced to pay a lot to Echostar for this.

Nintendo has valuable content, which can be monetized on a very large scale by Apple. Having this content on exclusive basis will also help Apple create significant differentiation vis-a-vis the Play Store. Also, while Apple has made huge strides in software development, it still is lagging behind in games, both on iOS and the Mac Platforms. Buying Nintendo when it is weak is probably a cheaper alternative for the long run.

From valuation perspectives also, these deals make some sense - While these companies have higher multiples than Apple, they "yield" more than what Apple earns on its cash holdings, in terms of earnings. Apple has till now not shown any interest in large deals, but these are the deals it should be looking at, if it ever decides to do large deals.

These companies are in many ways, the struggling underdogs in their respective sectors. A healthy dose of backing from Apple can do wonders to change their fortunes.

That's a well-considered post. I didn't know about Echostar, but I like the idea of Apple buying Yahoo! and Nintendo. Nintendo didn't become famous for its hardware but for its games. Therefore, for it to have exclusive releases on iOS seems the perfect fit.

Moving to Squaresoft: I hope Final Fantasy VII gets released on the iPad later this year, perhaps with the larger iPad. 

Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
post #60 of 76
We need Nintendo to succeed.

Nintendo is the Apple of gaming with the competition blatantly ripping them off.

Wii U is failing because Nintendos ad department need to be fired. I know Nintendo fans that still don't know the Wii U exists.
post #61 of 76
Quote:

So do adults play with this stuff? I honestly thought it was all about teens and younger.
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So do adults play with this stuff? I honestly thought it was all about teens and younger.

I bought a 3DS XL and the new Zelda game in December specifically to play that one game. It was a lot of fun.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #63 of 76

Playing digital games seems to be caught between two kinds of stigma these days. The old “fat, ugly, slob and skinny dork” genre of players and the new “every single game on the market doesn’t cater to my personal homosexual, feminist, and minority demands so I will protest the existence of all games until they appeal to absolutely no one” tirades going on. Never mind an industry that either recycles nigh identical games every year (Call of Honor 63, Medal of Duty 45, Madden NFL 1865: Civil War Edition, etc.) or writes movies and sticks a few buttons in front of you and calls it a game. Or the companies that do both while buying smaller ones and destroying their franchises for all eternity, giving players ludicrously dumbed down versions of said games for no other reason than to make money)

EA needs to burn.

On the sidelines, as always, are casual gamers, who do nothing to promote unique or innovative game scenarios, gameplay styles, or levels of interaction.

I’d love to see rich, engaging, in-depth alternate history games, for example. Either from the perspective of the nations involved or playing as an individual in one of them. But you’re not gonna see that anytime soon, because Generic Space Marine Shooter 86 has to be released! ‘Course Paradox does great work with the former. Victoria II is one of my favorite games. Sure wish the map was based on vectors redrawable by the player rather than set provinces based on the modern day world, however. As processing power (hard drive space) increases and code can become more intelligent and versatile, I can only see such games getting better at modeling, oh, I don’t know, a fascist uprising in Hyderabad in an 1820s where India has been freed from the British with a military and social structure resembling that of Hitler, for example, and how the AI countries around the world would realistically deal with that.

post #64 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why doesn't Apple just design & sell its own controller?

Because they don't want to spread to thin being the end all and be all.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #65 of 76
Quote:

Quote:

Originally decades ago games were for kids but in the mid 90s, Sony realised that kid gamers in the 80s would be getting into late teens/early 20s and still wanted to play games so they made the more grown up Playstation. Nintendo's successor the N64 didn't do nearly as well as the Playstation. The Playstation 2 sealed the deal and is the best-selling games console of all time. Over time, all age ranges have found some form of gaming that appeals.

There are game industry stats here for 2013:

http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/esa_ef_2013.pdf

There's an even split across all ages and gender but this includes all types of games. Older women players are Candy Crush's biggest audience. Some game players from years ago turned into game developers and decided to make games they'd want to play themselves and they sometimes take on more immersive themes that don't appeal as much to younger players, one of the best examples being:

"Over here Booker!
This is where we have to go
What is going on? Elizabeth, what do you mean this is a doorway?
I'll have to show you
I'm probably gonna regret this
A city at the bottom of the ocean?
Ridiculous.
Look at that, thousands of doors
opening all at once
my god!
they're beautiful! / The stars?
What is that? / It's a key
Where did it come from?
It's always been there, I just couldn't see it.
See, not stars
They're doors / Doors to?
everywhere!
All that's left is the choosing.
What are all these lighthouses?
Why are we- who are-? / There are a million million worlds, all different and all similar
Constants and variables
What?
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city
How do you know all this? / I can see them through the doors
You, me, Columbia, Songbird
Sometimes, something's different, not the same
Constants, and variables
Yes
Look/ It's us
Not exactly. We swim in different oceans but land on the same shore
It always starts with a lighthouse
I, I don't understand
We don't need to, it will happen all the same
Why? / Because it does, because it has, because it will
There are so many choices? / And they all lead us to the same place
Where it started.
No one tells me where to go
Booker, you've already been
Wait a minute, I know this place
I was here
We all make choices but in the end our choices make us."

This game follows on from their earlier one about scenarios that play out during the conflict between different philosophies:

"What is the difference between a man and a parasite? A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?' A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?' A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

On the surface, I once bought a forest. The parasites claimed that the land belonged to God, and demanded that I establish a public park there. Why? So the rabble could stand slack-jawed under the canopy and pretend that it was paradise *earned*. When Congress moved to nationalize my forest, I burnt it to the ground. God did not plant the seeds of this Arcadia - I did.

What is the greatest lie ever created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship? No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism. Whenever anyone wants others to do their work, they call upon their altruism. Never mind your own needs, they say, think of the needs of... of whoever. The state. The poor. Of the army, of the king, of God! The list goes on and on. How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"? It's the "king and country" crowd who light the torch of destruction. It is this great inversion, this ancient lie, which has chained humanity to an endless cycle of guilt and failure. My journey to Rapture was my second exodus. In 1919, I fled a country that had traded in despotism for insanity. The Marxist revolution simply traded one lie for another. Instead of one man, the tsar, owning the work of all the people, *all* the people owned the work of all of the people. So, I came to America: where a man could own his own work, where a man could benefit from the brilliance of his own mind, the strength of his own muscles, the *might* of his own will. I had thought I had left the parasites of Moscow behind me. I had thought I had left the Marxist altruists to their collective farms and their five-year plans. But as the German fools threw themselves on Hitler's sword "for the good of the Reich", the Americans drank deeper and deeper of the Bolshevik poison, spoon-fed to them by Roosevelt and his New Dealists. And so, I asked myself: in what country was there a place for men like me - men who refused to say "yes" to the parasites and the doubters, men who believed that work was sacred and property rights inviolate. And then one day, the happy answer came to me, my friends: there was *no* country for people like me! And *that* was the moment I decided... to build one. "

"For every choice, there is an echo. With each act, we change the world. One man chose a city, free of law and God. But others chose corruption. And so the city fell. If the world were reborn in your image, would it be paradise, or perdition?"

The second game takes on the alternate view of the first and the 3rd game above shows a parallel world where the scenarios are completely different but the characters have parallel roles. Choices made at different times and in different worlds can have the same outcome. The problem with games is they have to add gameplay mechanics that appeal to multiple audiences to sell the game so it's fair to say that games all involve elements that appeal to a younger audience and the company that made these is no longer together. Some games come with an 18 rating so very explicitly exclude a younger audience but kids end up playing them because the parents have the perception that games are all for kids.

The above game isn't on the Wii U, it doesn't look like any of the series is available on Nintendo consoles:

http://www.destructoid.com/2k-boston-s-chris-kline-says-bioshock-like-game-would-be-welcome-on-the-wii-98832.phtml

"In a recent interview with Gamasutra, 2K Boston's Chris Kline commented that he believed that a game like BioShock could be a success on the Wii, as long as audiences were properly introduced to more complex content."

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/newswire/2009/every-gaming-system-has-its-fans-but-women-like-wii.html

"Wii: The best-selling of the three systems, appeals to boys age 6-11 and women age 25-34. Usage of Wii by women 35+ is much higher than with the Xbox 360 and PS3. Games such as Wii Fit, Guitar Hero and Rock Band appear to have engaged an older female gamer like never before.
Usage of Wii by the 18-24 age group, considered the core/hardcore gaming segment, is low for both genders compared to the other two consoles."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali 
We need Nintendo to succeed.

Nintendo is the Apple of gaming with the competition blatantly ripping them off.

Wii U is failing because Nintendos ad department need to be fired. I know Nintendo fans that still don't know the Wii U exists.

Apple wouldn't make hardware as poorly as Nintendo. Sony is closer to the Apple of gaming. You can even see this in their ads:

Nintendo is:

The Wii U failed because it doesn't offer much over the Wii and people think it's a Wii accessory. The ad is funny because all the way through, they keep trying to make it clear that it's a new product. The end is classic 'just look for the "U" on the box'.

The reason Nintendo is failing is because they aren't able to compete with Apple in the casual gaming market so they can't be the Apple of gaming, Apple is. If they want to take Apple down then they need to start acting like them. Build compelling hardware and have an end-to-end ecosystem that properly targets their core demographic. Women like to read books, why not make a 7"-8" tablet that lets women play casual games like Candy Crush, Nintendo titles and have romantic novels? The same device lets kids play fun and educational games and they sell controllers for multiplayer that they can play at school or in the car and it'll play movies in the car so Nintendo can have charging units and headrest accessories, TV docks that give them access to kids movies and TV shows.
post #66 of 76
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
[Bioshock]

Self-aggrandizing pseudo-intellectual nonsense. The first one was a fair venture into horror and social mores, but Infinite was utter garbage on every level. Oh, and that includes gameplay, which, like so many modern games, it doesn’t have much of.

…as long as audiences were properly introduced to more complex content.”

So where does Bioshock fit into that? :lol::p 

Apple wouldn't make hardware as poorly as Nintendo. Sony is closer to the Apple of gaming. 

I don’t see how they made hardware poorly. What they did do is revolutionize gaming multiple times over the last few decades, and every time their technology was… appropriated… by Sony and Microsoft. 

The Wii U failed because it doesn't offer much over the Wii and people think it's a Wii accessory.

The good news is that Nintendo will NEVER make such a mistake in marketing ever again. They’ve failed at marketing so spectacularly that you think the first part of your sentence is correct (the second certainly is)!

The reason Nintendo is failing is because they aren't able to compete with Apple in the casual gaming market so they can't be the Apple of gaming, Apple is.

The 3DS is doing marvelously, as has the DS. I maintain, however, that they’ll want to use far more powerful ARM chips in their next handheld.

Thing about Nintendo is that their franchises are the power. Their franchises sell the hardware, even the 3/DS’ anemic spec list (which becomes meaningless in gameplay). THAT’S what makes them the Apple of gaming. That and the actually trying new things and not stealing from competitors.

Women like to read books, why not make a 7"-8" tablet that lets women play casual games like Candy Crush, Nintendo titles and have romantic novels?

Does that sound at all like a good idea, though? Really?

post #67 of 76
Quote:

Self-aggrandizing pseudo-intellectual nonsense. The first one was a fair venture into horror and social mores, but Infinite was utter garbage on every level. Oh, and that includes gameplay, which, like so many modern games, it doesn’t have much of.

I thought some of that at first but the way they tied them together was very well done. Pseudo-intellectual would still be better than none at all that you see in games where it's only gameplay like jumping around, racing or shooting. Gameplay focused games have their place but story-driven games do too and I would say more important for younger audiences. Bioshock Infinite has 10,000 lines of dialog with excellent character development and a story arc.
Quote:

So where does Bioshock fit into that? lol.gif1tongue.gif

The storyline is complex:

http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Rapture_Storyline
http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Columbia_Storyline
Quote:

The good news is that Nintendo will NEVER make such a mistake in marketing ever again.

I don't think they'll make a console box again. The Wii U is powerful enough for the games they make so it would be a disaster to do another box. The Wii U right now is dead in the water with such low sales and no developer support. They can't follow that up with another box with a new name. They need to focus on where they still do well, which as you say is the DS market.
Quote:

Quote:
Women like to read books, why not make a 7"-8" tablet that lets women play casual games like Candy Crush, Nintendo titles and have romantic novels?

Does that sound at all like a good idea, though? Really?

It achieves two things: it gives them a fresh appeal in the mobile side and it successfully moves them out of the console box market without too much bother. They just wind down the Wii U. This is an area they only compete with generic tablet/smartphone makers and they don't have enough AAA games. It's not like they have to come anywhere near the sales volumes either to be considered a success. The 3DS is only ~10m per year:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1312.pdf

Apple sells over 200 million iOS devices every year. It saves fragmenting the games library.
post #68 of 76
The storyline is complex:

But hardly self-consistent. Just once I’d like to see a game handle 4, 5, and 6 dimensional travel correctly. It’d do so well. A movie, even! Back To The Future, of all things, is the closest we’ve come, I think.

…so it would be a disaster to do another box.

I just don’t see how that follows. :\

Apple sells over 200 million iOS devices every year. It saves fragmenting the games library.

I don’t get why they wouldn’t just port to iOS, then, instead of making their own tablet. There’s nothing else to be innovated in the tablet realm in terms of gaming, particularly if the device is designed only for games.

post #69 of 76
Quote:

But hardly self-consistent. Just once I’d like to see a game handle 4, 5, and 6 dimensional travel correctly. It’d do so well. A movie, even! Back To The Future, of all things, is the closest we’ve come, I think.

All time travel representations are going to have continuity problems, even Back to the Future:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/16532/the-plot-holes-and-paradoxes-of-the-back-to-the-future-trilogy
http://whatculture.com/film/10-plot-holes-that-almost-ruined-back-to-the-future.php

Bioshock also has parallel universes overlapping. You can't have two versions of one person existing at the same time and not have problems.

The meaningful statement I take from the story is about common choices across different people and locations in the same timeline:

http://www.businessinsider.com/check-out-these-celebrities-and-their-ridiculous-historical-dopplegangers-2012-8?op=1

In different countries and throughout history you see the same political events happening, the same social and economic changes. All outcomes from common sources, some things different some things the same.
Quote:

Quote:
 …so it would be a disaster to do another box.

I just don’t see how that follows. 1hmm.gif

They typically have a lifespan for each box. The Wii U only came out just over a year ago. If sales continued to fall (which I suspect they will), they can't drag it out for another 5 years. However, they then have to design a compelling box for not only new customers but the few million current Wii U customers who won't be too receptive to it having just bought the Wii U.
Quote:

I don’t get why they wouldn’t just port to iOS, then, instead of making their own tablet. There’s nothing else to be innovated in the tablet realm in terms of gaming, particularly if the device is designed only for games.

They'd have to make a controller but that wouldn't be such a big deal. It's risky if the software doesn't sell as many copies as they hope - they still have visibility to contend with in the App Store and they are subject to Apple's store rules. Not to mention multiple device performance profiles to deal with. Then there's 3rd party games - with their own tablet and store, they make money from 3rd party titles.
post #70 of 76
Theyd have to make a controller

Why? Onscreen controls.

…they still have visibility to contend with in the App Store…

Nintendo would have to worry about visibility? Really?

Then there's 3rd party games - with their own tablet and store, they make money from 3rd party titles.

You think they wouldn’t by porting directly?

post #71 of 76
Quote:

Quote:
They
d have to make a controller

Why? Onscreen controls.

They work fine for a lot of DS-like games, maybe even Mario Kart but some games need multiple simultaneous inputs and when you hold a device to use the accelerometer, that leaves you with 1 thumb on each hand.
Quote:

Quote:
…they still have visibility to contend with in the App Store…

Nintendo would have to worry about visibility? Really?

They'd have a marketing budget but for someone visiting the store, Nintendo wouldn't be guaranteed a promotional banner for a new title like they'd have in their own store.
Quote:

Quote:
Then there's 3rd party games - with their own tablet and store, they make money from 3rd party titles.

You think they wouldn’t by porting directly?

If it was an Android OS, quite possibly but I reckon 3rd parties would at least additionally sell titles in Nintendo's store as they'd also have less of a visibility problem. Nintendo can have a carefully curated set of titles, they wouldn't compete on quantity.
post #72 of 76
If it was an Android OS, quite possibly but I reckon 3rd parties would at least additionally sell titles in Nintendo's store as they'd also have less of a visibility problem. Nintendo can have a carefully curated set of titles, they wouldn't compete on quantity.

Oh, I mean specifically the back library of third party games formerly on dedicated Nintendo hardware.

post #73 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Yes I agree with this. I love Nintendo's titles, but I have not owned a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo. Not even a mobile console since the Game Boy!

Then you don't "love" Nintendo's titles, since you haven't bothered to purchase anything they put out in the last 20 years, which includes dozens upon dozens of masterpieces. It's like all these people who "love" Apple, because they have some ancient Apple hardware and don't actually buy any of their products- they just "love" them so they can troll them on messageboards. 

post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Then you don't "love" Nintendo's titles, since you haven't bothered to purchase anything they put out in the last 20 years, which includes dozens upon dozens of masterpieces. It's like all these people who "love" Apple, because they have some ancient Apple hardware and don't actually buy any of their products- they just "love" them so they can troll them on messageboards. 

I bought a 3DS XL just to play the newest Zelda game. Does that make me a Nintendork?
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/18/14 at 4:29pm

post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I bought a 3DS XL just to okay the newest Zelda game. Does that make me a Nintendork?

Yes!

post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yes!

Than I gladly accept that as that game was awesome. If only had I played it whilst taking Rohypnols I could play it again for the first time.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nintendo loses another half-billion dollars as console sales slide