or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Longtime Apple PR chief Katie Cotton to retire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Longtime Apple PR chief Katie Cotton to retire

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
After an 18-year tenure at Apple, Katie Cotton, the company's vice president of worldwide corporate communications, will be leaving the Mac maker, it was announced on Wednesday.


Katie Cotton speaks with Steve Jobs, Phil Schiller and Jony Ive. Photo via Inc..


Cotton's upcoming departure was confirmed by Apple in a statement to Re/code. One of the most powerful executives at the company, Cotton has been in charge of public relations under the rule of both Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and current Chief Executive Tim Cook.

"Katie has given her all to this company for over 18 years," Apple spokesman Steve Dowling said. "She has wanted to spend time with her children for some time now. We are really going to miss her."

Dowling is seen as a likely candidate to replace Cotton, according to sources who spoke with The Verge. Another potential successor is Natalie Kerris, as both she and Dowling have been at the company for more than 10 years.

Cotton also spoke out on her own departure, admitting that the decision to leave was "hard," as her long employment at Apple has made the company "a part of (her) heart."

The forthcoming departure from Cotton is the latest in a string of longtime high-ranking Apple employees who have decided to exit the company. In March, it was announced that Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer will exit at the end of September, while last month it was also revealed that Human Interface director Greg Christie will be leaving the company in a planned exit later this year.

Other noteworthy exits from Apple in recent years include former retail chief Ron Johnson, who left for an ill-fated stint as CEO of JC Penney; Scott Forstall, who was ousted from the company after struggles with the launch of iOS Maps; and John Browett, who was fired after a short tenure serving as Johnson's replacement.

The company's hardware engineering head, Bob Mansfield, announced his retirement in mid-2012, but the senior vice president was later convinced to stay. As of last July, Mansfield is no longer a part of Apple's executive team, but he continues to work on special projects.
post #2 of 23
Congrats on her service and a happy retirement. I assume it's retirement at any rate.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #3 of 23
That's Phil Schiller, not Scott Forstall...
post #4 of 23
I'm not sure Phil Schiller would appreciate being called Scott Forstall in that picture above?!
post #5 of 23
I wonder what her "options" package looks like. Yes, I'm jealous, but good for her.
post #6 of 23
No doubt she will leave with a FAT ASS goodbye package. 18 years on top of Tim buying up stock at prices made up by the goddamn tooth fairy. Yeah sweetie I'm a miss you like I miss my mom beating my southern tail with an extension cord.
1smile.gif
post #7 of 23
Wow. This is big news. According to Adam Lashinsky's book Inside Apple, Cotton was one of only 4 Apple execs present at Steve Jobs burial service. The other three were Tim Cook, Jony Ive and Eddy Cue.
post #8 of 23
No comment.
post #9 of 23

I think Cook is cleaning out the stables. First Brower. Then no taking back Johnston. Forstall. Then the CFO. Now the head of their (abject) PR.

 

I hope that the next on the list will be the ad agency, and then the legal team.

post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think Cook is cleaning out the stables. First Brower. Then no taking back Johnston. Forstall. Then the CFO. Now the head of their (abject) PR.

I hope that the next on the list will be the ad agency, and then the legal team.
No taking back Johnson? How do we know Ron Johnson wanted to go back to Apple?
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow. This is big news. According to Adam Lashinsky's book Inside Apple, Cotton was one of only 4 Apple execs present at Steve Jobs burial service. The other three were Tim Cook, Jony Ive and Eddy Cue.

What about Phil?

post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
No taking back Johnson? How do we know Ron Johnson wanted to go back to Apple?

I'll grant you that was a stretch on my part, based on some vague rumors that people were reporting at that time.

 

I'll take the departures of just the other ones. :D

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

What about Phil?
According to that book those were the only Apple executives there.
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'll grant you that was a stretch on my part, based on some vague rumors that people were reporting at that time.

I'll take the departures of just the other ones. 1biggrin.gif
Don't forget the guy running Apple maps.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Don't forget the guy running Apple maps.

As I recall, that was Forstall?

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

No doubt she will leave with a FAT ASS goodbye package. 18 years on top of Tim buying up stock at prices made up by the goddamn tooth fairy. Yeah sweetie I'm a miss you like I miss my mom beating my southern tail with an extension cord.
1smile.gif

For a snarky remark like that, we should look forward to seeing your mom beat your sorry southern butt with an extension cord. Bare-ass please, so we can see if she leaves big, red welts. And if Katie Cotton is good wearing spiked heels, maybe she can do a tap dance up and down your back for good measure. No getting yourself off on the pain, though. /s

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #17 of 23
Time to get off high-pressure work.
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

As I recall, that was Forstall?
I can't remember his name, but someone high up in the maps org was fired by Eddy Cue.
post #19 of 23
Anti-Apple Headline Service:

Top Leadership Abandoning Apple's Sinking Ship After a Mere Two Decades Trying to Slow the Decline
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think Cook is cleaning out the stables. First Brower. Then no taking back Johnston. Forstall. Then the CFO. Now the head of their (abject) PR.

I hope that the next on the list will be the ad agency, and then the legal team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'll grant you that was a stretch on my part, based on some vague rumors that people were reporting at that time.

I'll take the departures of just the other ones. 1biggrin.gif

All of it was a stretch. People retire all the time. I'm happy she chose her kids over work. Hopefully there is an open door if she wants to return
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

All of it was a stretch. People retire all the time. I'm happy she chose her kids over work. Hopefully there is an open door if she wants to return

Hmm... even Browett and Forstall?

 

I guess you must subscribe to very different set of news services compared to mine.

post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm... even Browett and Forstall?

I guess you must subscribe to very different set of news services compared to mine.

Fair enough but both were fired for strong reasons and not Cook cleaning house.
post #23 of 23
She got tired of having to say “Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans.”
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Longtime Apple PR chief Katie Cotton to retire