or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad ranks highest in overall consumer satisfaction for tablets, says JD Power
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPad ranks highest in overall consumer satisfaction for tablets, says JD Power

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
American consumers have ranked Apple's iPad ahead of every other tablet for a third time, according to J.D. Power's 2014 U.S. Tablet Satisfaction Study, as overall satisfaction declines thanks to new low-cost entrants.




The iPad scored five out of a possible five on J.D. Power's Power Circle ratings, the only tablet to do so. Samsung, Asus, and Amazon followed with 3 circles each while Acer brought up the rear with just two circles.

Consumers are increasingly price sensitive when choosing a tablet, weighing cost more heavily than features or brand reputation. Cheaper tablets have not only driven down the average tablet selling price -- which dropped from $390 in 2012 to $337 in 2014 -- but also overall consumer satisfaction, which dipped to 835 points last year from 853 points in 2012. Satisfaction is scored on a 1,000 point scale.

"Since the inaugural U.S. Tablet Satisfaction Study in 2012, a number of new tablet OEMs have entered the U.S. marketplace, differentiating themselves to satisfy a growing interest in owning a tablet," J.D. Power telecommunications services director Kirk Parsons said in a release. "Price has significantly impacted the marketplace. The average purchase price continues to drop and consumer expectations of tablet performance and features are different than they were for past products. Subsequently, overall satisfaction has declined, especially with ease of operation, as navigation features and functions have changed."

J.D. Power created a mild controversy last fall when the firm ranked Samsung's tablets ahead of the iPad solely on the basis of cost, despite Apple's clear wins in performance, ease of use, physical design and features. The iPad lost the cost battle again in this most recent report, but came out on top overall.
post #2 of 27
Samsung beat the mean average? That's interesting.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #3 of 27
Maybe the circles and score are not directly related, but if 830 equals 5 'Power Circles' then 3 circles should be 498.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #4 of 27

(edit: never mind...)

post #5 of 27
Touch ID, a sapphire glass display and improved speakers and iPad Air would be close to the perfect product. As it is I think it's possibly the best product ever made.

All we need now is for Apple to admit you can't get away without a file system of some sort. I heard Marco Arment talk about this recently. I'm thinking a good solution would be to have an app called Files created by Apple which contains all your files and have apps that plug into that system simply display an alias of the documents from Files they are capable of working with.

That would give business users a powerful way to view all of their documents and edit them in any app on their iPad, jumping back and fourth between apps. That'd be powerful and it would keep iOS clean and pretty simple.

And AirDrop from Redwood to iOS 8 wouldn't hurt either. I'm getting fed up using PhotoSync.

Redwood? Yep. That's my guess, and one of my favourite places I've yet to visit in the world.
Edited by Ireland - 5/7/14 at 11:03am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 27

I'm sorry, but what a stupid graphic.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #7 of 27
So cost and satisfaction go hand in hand. The old adage you get what you pay for still holds true.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post



All we need now is for Apple to admit you can't get away without a file system of some sort. I heard Marco Arment talk about this recently. I'm thinking a good solution would be to have an app called Files created by Apple which contains all your files and have apps that plug into that system simply display an alias of the documents from Files they are capable of working with.

 

Marco's a smart guy, but he doesn't seem to be able to put away his developer hat on this subject. He seems to be in the 'iPad is doomed' (or at least has peaked) crowd for some reason. 

90% of people don't need direct access to the file system. I know that for people who live and breathe computers, that makes them 'morons'. Sorry, but they're the ones who pay the bills.
For the other 10%, I'm sure that there will be an iPad Pro down the road that fits that niche need, but for Apple to design for that 10% and lose the 90 would be just plain nuts.

I'm a power user by any definition of the word. Musician and programmer who can make the damned OS sing any way I want it to, from the GUI or the command line.
And yet I now use my Mac once or twice a month, do my programming on my Wintel poc at work, and do my music and everything else on my iPad.

Granted, its because I enjoy the challenge of working around the limitations, but I'm not so blindered as to think that this is the end of the line in iOS development. 

I'm all in on the iPad.

post #9 of 27

All that seems to have happened is that J D Power looked stupid last year, realized their mistake, and fixed it.

 

Nothing to see here.....

post #10 of 27
Samsung is just riding on Apple's coattails, just as the Japanese based their success since the 1950's copying European and American designs..cf:.. Cannon making near exact copies of the Leica.
They adopt, adapt, and tweak, but they are seldom true innovators.
Their auto industries followed suit. [....no punning intended...]
post #11 of 27
And this is why sales will contract as there is no need to upgrade year after year. Except perhaps if it fold/bends.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

All that seems to have happened is that J D Power looked stupid last year, realized their mistake, and fixed it.

Nothing to see here.....

I agree that we're not going to be shocked by Apple being number one but I don't think JD Power made a mistake, per say. I think they ran their numbers and those were the results. No miscalculation or skullduggery at play.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Touch ID, a sapphire glass display and improved speakers and iPad Air would be close to the perfect product. As it is I think it's possibly the best product ever made.

All we need now is for Apple to admit you can't get away without a file system of some sort. I heard Marco Arment talk about this recently. I'm thinking a good solution would be to have an app called Files created by Apple which contains all your files and have apps that plug into that system simply display an alias of the documents from Files they are capable of working with.

That would give business users a powerful way to view all of their documents and edit them in any app on their iPad, jumping back and fourth between apps. That'd be powerful and it would keep iOS clean and pretty simple.

And AirDrop from Redwood to iOS 8 wouldn't hurt either. I'm getting fed up using PhotoSync.

Redwood? Yep. That's my guess, and one of my favourite places I've yet to visit in the world.

Actually that is the reason for doc in the cloud, they do not need to be resident on the device, yes I know what happen when it not connect to the internet. Like some app already on the ipad they store things locally until you connect and synce things back up again. I remember people complaining about doing away with the floppy drive then the CD drive and so on. The funny thing I had not use a floppy as a way to move or store files since the 90's I was already using the network and file servers and wireless long before other were I could not see an reason way back why you need physical media to store your files and move them around. 

 

My only issue about cloud storage is you now place your stuff where others could possibly get hold of it.  But I do no think you need a file system if you document are stored on a server some place you can access at any time.

post #14 of 27

There is an old saying which is pigs do not know pigs smell so they have no problem making everyone else deal with their smell. This is what happens in consumer electronic industry you go a bunch of pigs making it all smell bad and drag the entire market down. Yeah Apple maybe able to do well, but as more and more people buy the garbage and realize it smells bad they will not bother to come back again. All the pigs in the market make it hard for the rose to be enjoyed.

post #15 of 27
How does Apple vs. Android satisfaction rate among people who have used BOTH? Very different numbers I am certain.

I know so many people who have such problems with Android--but have never tried an iPhone and quite rightly feel that ANY smartphone is awesome compared to when we had none. So they say they LOVE their phone despite the frequent problems with malware, battery drain, and lack of the apps I love that they can't have.

It's exactly like people who used to love their always-crashing PC laptop because it's better than the one before... and have never tried a Mac.

It falsely makes one think the experience is nearly as good as Mac/iOS.
post #16 of 27

Surprised by these number. Seems only Amazon tablets seem to get a lot of praise.

 

Of course, the cheaper the tablet, the worse it is.

 

Many tablets just freeze.

 

There are two kinds of tablets. Those for productivity/near/sometimes laptop replacement (iPad) and tablets for consumption, excluding the Windows Slate.

 

The vast majority of tablets are probably the 7" variety used for consumption.

 

Still, surprised by the numbers based on observed reviews.

post #17 of 27

All the little birdies go "Cheap, cheap, cheap."  Most global consumers are all pecking around for low-cost Android tablets.  Most consumers don't care if a tablet is made out of plastic.  They're only looking to save a bunch of bucks.  So many people consider the cost of an iPad as outrageously high and the price gap of the iPad is considered much larger than the performance and feature gap of the iPad.  It looks as though Apple is going to force the Android manufacturers into fingerprint recognition whether they like it or not.  That's a smart move on Apple's part because only Samsung might be able to keep pace and the other Android tablet makers will be left out for the most part.  Apple needs to make sure that Touch ID is a must have feature for business tablet users.  Still, all that matters to the media is how the iPad is losing market share to all Android tablets and how Apple has lost its tablet edge.  Hearing this gets so many people filled with glee that Apple is a dying company.

post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And this is why sales will contract as there is no need to upgrade year after year. Except perhaps if it fold/bends.

It depends on what functionality comes out, and what's important to an individual.  I don't need to wait until it folds or bends, but will upgrade when the iPad includes fingerprint scanner - the convenience is worth it to me, but can understand it may not for everyone .  

When you include Apple's increasing distribution, it's not a forgone conclusion contraction will happen soon.

post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree that we're not going to be shocked by Apple being number one but I don't think JD Power made a mistake, per say. I think they ran their numbers and those were the results. No miscalculation or skullduggery at play.

Really? No miscalculation or skulduggery? Apple bested Samsung last year with 5 stars on four out of five attributes: performance, ease of use, tablet features, and physical design, but got two stars for 'cost' (compared to Samsung's four stars on that metric).

 

Considering that 'satisfaction' is a highly subjective measure, the four in which Apple was the best are each subjective measures (with 'cost' being the only objective number in the construction of an overall performance ranking), how exactly did Samsung win that race? Especially when they provide absolutely no information on weightings of the various attributes?

 

Nah, it was a stupid ranking by any measure. And they realized it.

post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? No miscalculation or skulduggery? Apple bested Samsung last year with 5 stars on four out of five attributes: performance, ease of use, tablet features, and physical design, but got two stars for 'cost' (compared to Samsung's four stars on that metric).

Considering that 'satisfaction' is a highly subjective measure, the four in which Apple was the best are each subjective measures (with 'cost' being the only objective number in the construction of an overall performance ranking), how exactly did Samsung win that race? Especially when they provide absolutely no information on weightings of the various attributes?

Nah, it was a stupid ranking by any measure. And they realized it.

I'm not saying what they measure or much weight they give to each category is reasonable, but I see no evidence to suggest that JD Power made a calculation error, were being paid by Samsung, or had it in for Apple. Not thinking their testing methods are reasonable is something else entirely.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
 
... no evidence to suggest that JD Power ... were being paid by Samsung, or had it in for Apple. 

Whoa. Hold on there.

 

Where did I say anything about Samsung paying them, or that they had it in for Apple!? That's nonsense.

 

If you're going to quote only one person in a reply, it behooves you to be careful about making attributions or inferences about what they said and did not say.

post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Whoa. Hold on there.

Where did I say anything about Samsung paying them, or that they had it in for Apple!? That's nonsense.

If you're going to quote only one person in a reply, it behooves you to be careful about making attributions or inferences about what they said and did not say.

How else am I to interpret these comments: "Really? No miscalculation or skulduggery?"?

It sounds like you're disagreeing with my previous comment where I clearly stated I don't think JD Power is doing any such thing and therefore likely didn't make any mistakes, as you put it, in their calculations.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #23 of 27

There is no spoon ... I mean tablet

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Marco's a smart guy, but he doesn't seem to be able to put away his developer hat on this subject. He seems to be in the 'iPad is doomed' (or at least has peaked) crowd for some reason. 
90% of people don't need direct access to the file system. I know that for people who live and breathe computers, that makes them 'morons'. Sorry, but they're the ones who pay the bills.

I have to agree. At one of the All Things D talks, probably 10 years ago, Steve Jobs said the file system--specifically Finder--was someday going to be something that only the pros used. He told Walt Mossberg that he expected average users would use Spotlight Search to access documents, emails, and even Apps. Why? Because that's how you access things on the web: you type into a search box. You're not forced to manage file system to get to your content. Steve was talking about this long before iOS was released. He was talking about his vision for Mac OS X.

If you think about it: he is correct. The World Wide Web is so vast, there is no practical way people are going to memorize URLs or find HTTP resources (which are really files on servers) by their hierarchical locations within a site directory. And hyperlinking isn't the most direct way to find things. Search engines make sense. Spotlight works just like that: you'll never lose a file again.

The post-PC philosophy that iOS embraces is: content, not files. For example, when you plug in a SD card from your camera into an iPad, it opens iPhoto and treats the SD card as a camera: you see pictures and videos, not a file directory. Camera operating systems also hide the files system from you, showing the pictures, not files.

Microsoft doesn't apparently doesn't get the post-PC philosophy because they're busy creating a touch file explorer for Windows Phone 8.1. 1rolleyes.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I'm not saying what they measure or much weight they give to each category is reasonable, but I see no evidence to suggest that JD Power made a calculation error, were being paid by Samsung, or had it in for Apple. Not thinking their testing methods are reasonable is something else entirely.

 

When you mentioned calculations/miscalculations it brought me back to my dislike of the graphic.

 

83% gets you 5 stars.

 

82% gets you 3 stars.

 

It becomes easier to see why Samsung slipped ahead of Apple last year. A hair difference on any of the levels seems to get a star or two booted from your overall score.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How else am I to interpret these comments: "Really? No miscalculation or skulduggery?"?

I have no advice to give you on interpretation, except to say that over-interpreting things is silly.

post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have no advice to give you on interpretation, except to say that over-interpreting things is silly.

OK, let me restart. I disagree with your "mistake" designation for last year's results as the only way I could there being an error is either in their calculations or in judgement, both noted earlier. I don't see any evidence to support either.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPad ranks highest in overall consumer satisfaction for tablets, says JD Power
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad ranks highest in overall consumer satisfaction for tablets, says JD Power