or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Pictures of your computer setups for 2002

Pictures of your computer setups for 2002 - Page 8

post #281 of 725
Didn't mention - this is the 800 MHz SuperDrive model with 512 MB of RAM.

Damn this thing is sweet. Lots of play in the display though - twists a little too easily I think. Oh well, having some RAM installed in the inner slot tomorrow, I'll have the guys check it out. Putting a 512 MB stick in that inner slot, which will give me 768 MB total. (now have a 256 MB full size chip to sell...)

I got this for $2799 CDN. Got a deal on it when it was at the old price, so it ends up being $250 less than current retail. Can't complain there...

Anyway, I'm hard at "work" tonight re-ripping a lot of my CDs. I'm going for quality this time around and doing everything at 320 kbps. I'm averaging 10-12x, which is higher than I thought I'd be getting. I'm impressed.

So here's the up-to-the-minute new setup pic:

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
post #282 of 725
Again. I really have to see if you do really like this machine

You are getting 12x on ripping eh? I get 22x (max) on my Dual Gig @ 192KHz

Hey, I remember someone told me that I shouldn't use cheap brand CD like Gigastore.....he seems having conflict with himself

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #283 of 725
Hey, I had a bunch left over to get rid of, give me a break.

I don't use them for audio CDs though, just data. (priorities...)

Oh, and how much did your top of the line PRO tower cost, Leonis??
post #284 of 725
dbl post...

post #285 of 725
Hey murbot.. I guess you missed my reply on the way bottom of this old thread:

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001240&p=2" target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001240&p=2</a>

Anyway, I just wondered how much you paid for your desk (and where you got it). I saw it on <a href="http://dwr.com/" target="_blank">http://dwr.com/</a> for like $400 or something (for some sawhorses! :eek: ) ! Also, what do you have on top of it there? I always thought it looked nice.

Also, you should take your nice desk out of the corner there.. it's bad feng shui.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: bradbower ]</p>
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #286 of 725
[quote]Originally posted by murbot:
<strong>Oh, and how much did your top of the line PRO tower cost, Leonis?? </strong><hr></blockquote>

A LOT!
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #287 of 725
Sorry, I did miss your post at the other thread...

I wouldn't spend anything near $400 for a desk - I'm assuming you're talking US dollars too. Yikes, that's like $630 CDN...

I picked this desk up at IKEA. Can't really remember exactly what I paid, but it was something like $140-150 CDN (less than $100 US).

The table top and easels came as a set, but damn if I can think of the name for you. Sorry...

I know about the corner thing - not much choice here I'm afraid. When we're in the new house though, I'm getting a brand spankin' new office. I'll be sure and situate the desk in a "power" position. (thought I read that feng-shui thing anyway, so I'm facing the door and will see people as they come in)
post #288 of 725
Murbot,

Did you order the mac before the price hike or did you finagle a deal on the old price point (after the price hike) using one of your contacts?

Inquiring minds want to know.
IBL!
IBL!
post #289 of 725
I have actually been waiting on this iMac for almost a month. I had put my deposit down on it before the price hike, so I got it for the original deal I had made.

So it was originally $2799 for a $2899 iMac, but of course it looks even better now getting that price on a $3049 iMac.

Hey, with that $250 savings, and the $150 rebate on an iPod... I could get a 5 GB model for net $200 CDN! (plus taxes of course) Hmmm, do I want a third iPod?

Nah, I'll wait until the 20 GB one comes out...

post #290 of 725
[quote]Originally posted by murbot:
<strong>Sorry, I did miss your post at the other thread...

I wouldn't spend anything near $400 for a desk - I'm assuming you're talking US dollars too. Yikes, that's like $630 CDN...

I picked this desk up at IKEA. Can't really remember exactly what I paid, but it was something like $140-150 CDN (less than $100 US).

The table top and easels came as a set, but damn if I can think of the name for you. Sorry...

I know about the corner thing - not much choice here I'm afraid. When we're in the new house though, I'm getting a brand spankin' new office. I'll be sure and situate the desk in a "power" position. (thought I read that feng-shui thing anyway, so I'm facing the door and will see people as they come in)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, wow. That's a great deal! I must have seen the designer originals on that expensive site, and I guess IKEA really DOES make affordable "knockoffs" of good designer stuff. I love IKEA!

BTW, I would never spend that much on a desk either. Or at least never again, or not with my own money... My mom bought me a $500 desk when we moved to put my computers on and still have room to do my homework.. what a waste of money. I lament ever telling her I liked it in the first place (it was a surprise purchase).

Can't wait to see your new office, though.
post #291 of 725
Hey iPad, nice PC you've got there. BTW, I got your IM, I was just away. I've got a PC ready to go but am awaiting a Duron from a guy on Ars...he has been very hard to contact even though he's a nice guy and giving me a nice price (no, it's not a scam, he's a well known guy). I'm getting so impatient (bought the parts on March 1) for it to work that I am ready to buy from NewEgg or something. Heh, wanna sell your TBird cheap?

Maybe I'll get pics up of the PC if I ever get a CPU.
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
Member #14
post #292 of 725
Hey, sorry about the delay with the pics, haha, still haven't gotten them up, my friend the cold (it's almost 70 outside too, so beats the hell out of me how i obtained such a animous eater, but I got to miss school so it's all good) attacketh me this week so I haven't had a chance to borrow my dad's camera, but tommorrow (i swear).

MacAddict:
Hey thanks, how much are you paying for the Duron btw? These days they're so cheap that saving a few bucks or two doesn't really make much of a difference, $50-60 for 1.2ghz. But yeah, I feel your pain, took me forever to get my mobo rma'ed a few months ago, no CS for two weeks.

As for my Thunderbird, I don't actually have it right now since I did the trade with my friend so the only spare part I have right now is a Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR on my shelf.

Heard about your XP frying, that sucks dude. Well good luck on getting that Duron, i'll talk to you on AIM later or something like that.
I'm back...
I'm back...
post #293 of 725
[quote]As for my Thunderbird, I don't actually have it right now since I did the trade with my friend so the only spare part I have right now is a Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR on my shelf.<hr></blockquote>

Heh, same as me. I'm gonna be using that $48 Visiontek GF2 GTS-V. Great deal.

I hope the guy I'm negotiating with on the Duron is a quick shipper. I'm gonna be patient though because $30 for a 900MHz Duron can't be beat...
Member #14
Member #14
post #294 of 725
hey radar, check <a href="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_blank">www.pricewatch.com</a>

durons are going for $30 retail, not including shipping. don't take too much crap from this shipper.
post #295 of 725
*bump*

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Fobie ]</p>
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
iBook 800 with 10.2.6 - Various PC's with OpenBSD 3.3
post #296 of 725
Yeah, I always check Pricewatch and stuff for this kind of thing. There's actually a Duron going for $29 right now...plus $13 shipping.

This guy seems pretty cool though. He actually is a graduate of the school I go to (small world, eh?).
Member #14
Member #14
post #297 of 725
[quote]Originally posted by iPad:
<strong>Hey, sorry about the delay with the pics, haha, still haven't gotten them up, my friend the cold (it's almost 70 outside too, so beats the hell out of me how i obtained such a animous eater, but I got to miss school so it's all good) attacketh me this week so I haven't had a chance to borrow my dad's camera, but tommorrow (i swear).
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well time's running out for that swear...
post #298 of 725

That's mine.
(no, the cow isn't mine, only the computer )

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
post #299 of 725
The purpose of this exercise is to accentuate the cheesier parts.
post #300 of 725
[quote]Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic:
<strong></strong><hr></blockquote>

That's called show off, you know?

You are missing the cube

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #301 of 725
[quote]Originally posted by Leonis:
<strong>

That's called show off, you know?

You are missing the cube

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe...well, if I can find a Cube for around $600 - $700, I might pick one up.
post #302 of 725

I'm back...
I'm back...
post #303 of 725
hell, in the 8 pages i'm sure my set is in there somewhere....but just to be safe....

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #304 of 725
I need a bigger desk.
*** Voted "Biggest Asshole" and "Role Model Of The Year." ***
post #305 of 725
Shanny, your pic makes me sad. My monitor which is the same as your....is broken

Oh. How's that IOGear KVM switcher? Do you see ghosting on the screen with this? Mine is the Startech. Even using the preminum cables there are still terrible ghosting...
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #306 of 725
Nah, Leonis. I don't experience any ghosting with it. My problem seems to be a 3-5 second lag from the time I switch over to the time I can use the keyboard and mouse. And that REALLY pisses me off! But what do you expect for the price you pay for those.

Dr. Bott made a kickass KVM switch.
post #307 of 725
You mean a desk like this? And yes, this is my setup

post #308 of 725
Yall need to give me a digital camera fo real! Im gonna have a G5 by the time I post my setup.

BTW, my dad bought a Dell. *sigh*
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #309 of 725
What's wrong with that? My Dell rules.
Tho I do like my Macs better, considering I have 3 of them. Sold the 9600/300 to buy the 733 used. I practically stole that thing. I like stupid people. :cool:
post #310 of 725
[quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:
<strong>
BTW, my dad bought a Dell. *sigh*</strong><hr></blockquote>

What'd he get the Dell for?
post #311 of 725
For his computer at work. Replaced his Quadra with one. What a fool.
post #312 of 725
[quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:
<strong>Yall need to give me a digital camera fo real! Im gonna have a G5 by the time I post my setup.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Buy a scanner you cheap bastard!

post #313 of 725
post #314 of 725
A scanner? that wouldnt be much good....it would just make a crappy @$$ image of it......then Id have to go develop ONE single photo from a camera...

Anywayz I have a scanner. Too bad it wont ****ing work with my G4 & OS X!!!
post #315 of 725
Oh no! You know what an empty desk at Murbot's house means... So what's next Murbot 800Mhz TiBook? Dualie G4? Or will you buy a cheap replacement (700 Mhz iBook) to tide you over for the next upgrade of Power Mac's? :cool:
"One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity"
"One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity"
post #316 of 725
What a surprise, a new machine for murbot.
post #317 of 725
He's getting an eMac
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #318 of 725
eMac?! I don't think so Tim.

I've gone back to my roots.

Got me one a dem shiny new PowerBooks! After getting a pretty surprising tax return, I decided to grab one of these beauties. Didn't go full bore, got the "low end" model, 667 MHz. (sounds funny to call it low end with how fast this thing seems).

Here it is:

And unfortunately I may be reaching the 4 digit post club sooner than I had hoped:

Yee haw, life is good.

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
post #319 of 725
I have the same poster
Only morons use signatures
Only morons use signatures
post #320 of 725
Mr. Murbot really needs to do either one of the following:

1) Go and get some therapy

2) Donate his money to his friend (me)
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Pictures of your computer setups for 2002