or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Future iPhones may use optical image stabilization to create 'super-resolution' images

Future iPhones may use optical image stabilization to create 'super-resolution' images - Page 3

post #81 of 87
I do find this interesting, but wonder if Apple is simply patenting this as protection from competition. The best way is to improve the glass (all internal lenses are plastic), the sensor by improving pixel quality/size (size of actual pixel, not how many pixels), and the ability to shoot faster, and in lower light. 

The better the glass, the better quality of light you have. The larger aperture, the more light you can take in. Better pixels captures more of the light information- correctly, and a better processor cleans the data and shuffles it to shortage quicker making room for the next exposure. It's not the hardware's limitation to open and close the aperture quick enough, but the processors ability to shuffle the data around quick enough to allow the next exposure. The higher the resolution, and/or the increased frames per second, equates to more data shuffle, thus faster internals needed to operate. Having a faster aperture, allows the required amount of light to be exposed onto the sensor. The faster the aperture, the less you need OIS. IF I can take an exposure at 120ms, I can capture a crisp photo of a flower blowing in the wind. In order to do that, you need more light, or high ISO. But I'm never a fan of cleaning an exposure over taking a better one. Indoors that is hard, however, I think Apple can still make improvements on their flash to allow more light over a greater distance, or perhaps a flash add-on? 

Improve the hardware and you won't have to do tricks. As Apple is always looking to improve hardware, competition is left with employing the tricks, which Apple now has patented also. Apple can improve hardware at a much quicker pace, with vast more control as they design, or have a hand in designing, much of their technology. Vs competition that buys off the self parts or has little customization beyond software. 

post #82 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

^ post

Good points. May I add a feature for their software: full manual. I understand that Apple is all about simplicity, but they also make software for the professional market. the camera app will benefit greatly for many if it were to gain full manual, perhaps with custom presets. Oh, and a timer.
post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good points. May I add a feature for their software: full manual. I understand that Apple is all about simplicity, but they also make software for the professional market. the camera app will benefit greatly for many if it were to gain full manual, perhaps with custom presets. Oh, and a timer.

And that would be easy to do in Settings by switching to 'Pro' mode and have all the added features without complicating the simple mode that is standard. 

I like it! 

post #84 of 87
Quote:

And that would be easy to do in Settings by switching to 'Pro' mode and have all the added features without complicating the simple mode that is standard. 

I like it! 

I don't know if you've ever noticed this but Apple likes to leave some things to third party developers.

That way the App store remains vibrant and strong.

Adding these things for everyone whether they want to use them or not leads to bloat.

See Samsung phones where almost 50% of available storage can be taken up by things that may never be used and can't be deleted.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #85 of 87
Quote:

I like it!

I wish for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Adding these things for everyone whether they want to use them or not leads to bloat.

Very good point. And even though I would prefer for Apple to add this ability, I'm not holding my breath. For the reasons you describe.
post #86 of 87

See Samsung phones where almost 50% of available storage can be taken up by things that may never be used and can't be deleted.

“But but but but but but APPLE is the one that loads up with apps that can’t be deleted!”

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #87 of 87
Quote:

I don't know if you've ever noticed this but Apple likes to leave some things to third party developers.

That way the App store remains vibrant and strong.

Just like pano or slow mo for those who don't use it? Or worse yet, square?  Pano and slow mo is adding on new functionality. Accessing current auto settings in manual mode is not, except for UI. This would also fit into Apple's 'creative' view. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Future iPhones may use optical image stabilization to create 'super-resolution' images