or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung sacks mobile design chief after tepid reception for Galaxy S5

Samsung sacks mobile design chief after tepid reception for Galaxy S5 - Page 2

post #41 of 80
But who will know when to buy the toner for the photocopiers?

Sammie should rethink this.

"Thursday's move comes after a number of publications criticized the S5's construction. The Wall Street Journal said the Galaxy S5's textured back was reminiscent of a Band-Aid, while the International Business Times led with the headline "Samsung Galaxy S5: Looks Cheap, Feels Cheap."
"

Ouch, the WSJ picked up on the bandaid theme?

1cool.gif
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Why would they fire the guy when they are spending a lot of money to promote the design of their flagship phone? They just gave a big presentation about the design of the S5 and how it's like a diamond etc. And they just released the ad campaign highlighting all the glowing reviews from Business Insider etc. They're too smart to undercut all that by firing the phone's designer. It must be a promotion as a reward for making the S5 such an awesome industrial design object.

It's all about recovery from a failure phone.  Change the leadership, promote the slow selling product and move on.

Didn't Samsung say in court their phones were not as good as the iPhone?

post #43 of 80
Copy & Paste Chief more like. HA!
post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

'Design' chief? Seriously?

That was a typo... Supposed to be "Design Thief"...

post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

have to agree, but no one really get fired from Samsung, unless they get arrested by their government but I suspect they are still on the payroll even while in jail.

Haha. Sammy would just bribe the govt for a pardon.
post #46 of 80

Samsung can redesign their phones all they want, but they shouldn't expect substantially different results until they address the elephant in the room that is Touchwiz. Samsung's software has one of the lowest quality over quantity ratios of any major OEM.

post #47 of 80
Quote:

'Design' chief? Seriously?

Designer doesn't mean at all what it used to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Because the former would have no reason for being an article here and the latter is good click bait. With the number of Samsung related articles here they might as well rename this site Samsung Insider.

What'cha you say you PM @macexpress and y'all start your own alternative Apple website together?

That... or STFU already!.....1devil.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #48 of 80

The Galaxy S5 look exactly like the iPhone 5S. Samsung must stop to copy iPhone design.

post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Sacked?? According to the source article they didn't fire him.

"Chang Dong-hoon offered to resign last week and will be replaced by Lee Min-hyouk, vice president for mobile design, a Samsung spokeswoman said on Thursday...
Chang, a former professor who studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, will continue to lead Samsung's design center which overseas its overall design strategy."

Is he being promoted as a reward for his wonderful work and expertise?

Or is he being moved off their stalled flagship phone in a way that saves face?

post #50 of 80
Quote:

"Chang Dong-hoon offered to resign last week and will be replaced by Lee Min-hyouk, vice president for mobile design, a Samsung spokeswoman said on Thursday...
Chang, a former professor who studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, will continue to lead Samsung's design center which overseas its overall design strategy."

A technicality.

Are you aware that senior managers at large firms are often given the option to resign if they sign "don't badmouth the company" agreements? (Most just make no comment at all, like Scott Forstall). The media reported that Forstall was fired--even though Apple never said that. But his silence is no coincidence.

So you are technically correct, and I know how important it is for you to split hairs 1smile.gif. The original Reuters article didn't turn that into "sacked"--but it did insinuate that it may have had something to do with the S5's reception. But at least you can say Reuters didn't claim it. AppleInsider did.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

A technicality.

Are you aware that senior managers at large firms are often given the option to resign if they sign "don't badmouth the company" agreements? (Most just make no comment at all, like Scott Forstall). The media reported that Forstall was fired--even though Apple never said that. But his silence is no coincidence.

So you are technically correct, and I know how important it is for you to split hairs 1smile.gif. The original Reuters article didn't turn that into "sacked"--but it did insinuate that it may have had something to do with the S5's reception. But at least you can say Reuters didn't claim it. AppleInsider did.

...except Chang still works for Samsung. He appears to have "resigned" only from a specific position but still serving as a Senior Manager. As of last October (2012) Forstall is no employed in any capacity for Apple AFAIK.
Edited by Gatorguy - 5/8/14 at 10:49am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #52 of 80
Quote:

Is he being promoted as a reward for his wonderful work and expertise?

Or is he being moved off their stalled flagship phone in a way that saves face?

That's entirely possible. The S5 (lack of) design wasn't what was expected. Perhaps the Peter Principle was on full display.
post #53 of 80

They might look to Ricoh or Xerox for a new design chief.

post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

That was a typo... Supposed to be "Design Thief"...

Right on... lol
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #55 of 80
Quote:

...except Chang still works for Samsung. He appears to have "resigned" only from a specific position but still serving as a Senior Manager.

I believe seppuku is a Korean tradition isn't it?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #56 of 80
The samsung designer is lousy design thief. So what I say the samsung designer are fire for thief.
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

But who will know when to buy the toner for the photocopiers?

Sammie should rethink this.

"Thursday's move comes after a number of publications criticized the S5's construction. The Wall Street Journal said the Galaxy S5's textured back was reminiscent of a Band-Aid, while the International Business Times led with the headline "Samsung Galaxy S5: Looks Cheap, Feels Cheap."
"

Ouch, the WSJ picked up on the bandaid theme?

1cool.gif

Mmm ... Another opportunity for Sammy ...

They could appropriate the Gillette Theme Song and lyrics (maybe even Sharpie, too):

🎶 Look Cheap, Feel Cheap, Be Cheap
To look cheap -- when you use your phone,
To feel cheap -- with every call you make;
Just be cheap -- get a Sammy Phone,
For the quickest, slickest con of all!

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/8/14 at 12:10pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #58 of 80
Quote:

The better description is probably "bumped upstairs" - which is what you do when you don't want to fire the schmuck but nevertheless get him out of the way. School of the Art Institute? What a disgrace for such a notable institution.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #59 of 80
I don't agree the samsung CEO. I am voting samsung CEO out in the stock and bond because the Samsung CEO is very evil and thief. I am not going to buy any crap samsung products no more in the my United States of America. So my next TVs are be sony instead samsung. I do like Japanese cars, TVs, speakers, stereo, and apple products.
post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

The better description is probably "bumped upstairs" - which is what you do when you don't want to fire the schmuck but nevertheless get him out of the way. School of the Art Institute? What a disgrace for such a notable institution.

I guess American schools have had spies entering their rolls a lot over the years as part of their deep cover training, from KGB to Samsung, can't blame the schools. 1wink.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #61 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

I don't believe he had the nerves to make that statement. How much of dignity has this guy got left ?

Notice how Samsungs been trying lately through ads / reports lately to show they were indeed "Original" ?

Part of there mind share damage control I suppose. People that realise Samsung copied off Apple have dignity issues buying there products. They are trying to fix that by making false claims.
The only thing I'd buy is a screen from them but 3D is bad and smart hub is not-so-smart hub
post #62 of 80
Quote:

It must be a promotion as a reward for making the S5 such an awesome industrial design object.

I think you're right. They promoted him as far away from industrial design as they could.

Sure, they probably have to pay him more, but it's going to save a lot on lawsuits and patent violations.

Oh, I'm not saying the next guy isn't going to copy. They're just hoping he's better at hiding it.

post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm ... Another opportunity for Sammy ...

They could appropriate the Gillette Theme Song and lyrics (maybe even Sharpie, too):

🎶 Look Cheap, Feel Cheap, Be Cheap
To look cheap -- when you use your phone,
To feel cheap -- with every call you make;
Just be cheap -- get a Sammy Phone,
For the quickest, slickest con of all!

They would never steal that song it is too patriotic for them... You need a song which is more evil sounding.

post #64 of 80
But they made it look more like an iPhone, what could have gone wrong.
post #65 of 80
Quote:

That's entirely possible. The S5 (lack of) design wasn't what was expected. Perhaps the Peter Principle was on full display.

They expected a design?  Wow, that would be unique.  I fear that there will be no "break-through" design in Samsung until Apples next designs come out as product.  I'm guessing the new guy will do alright if Apple does come out with something new since there will be something to copy.

post #66 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPad View Post

I think you're right. They promoted him as far away from industrial design as they could.

Boom!  Very funny comment!

post #67 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambira View Post

They expected a design?  Wow, that would be unique.  I fear that there will be no "break-through" design in Samsung until Apples next designs come out as product.  I'm guessing the new guy will do alright if Apple does come out with something new since there will be something to copy.

There have been 2 iPhone designs that Samsung didn't copy. iPhone 4(S), and iPhone 5(s)
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #68 of 80

I'm surprised that Samsung waited so long but I'm sure they appreciate his loyal service and the revenue stream that he helped create for them, no matter how ill founded it may have been from a design and originality perspective. It's a good way for Samsung and a valued employee to both save face and to start moving in new directions. Maybe Samsung is waking up to the fact that they cannot endure being vilified by their largest customer, not trusted by their business partners, and morally offensive to future customers if they intend to be a world class premium products company and thought leader. All the negativity is dragging them down and isolating them on a moral level if not on a financial level. I'm sure that all of the other Android aligned companies hate their guts and even Google just tolerates them because of their market share. Sure they can keep hiding behind heavily discount pricing, copytition, and pretending to be Apple's equal, but they haven't shown that they are up to the task despite having started as the huge Goliath in their battle with Apple. They picked the low road and that's where they will stay until they get their act together and prove their worthiness. Maybe this is a baby step in the right direction. Settling their differrences with Apple through a cross licensing agreement would be another way to cleanse the stink off their hands and get them back on the high road to respectability. They can do it if they really want to. Apple and Microsoft eventually came to terms and each company's creators had a deep mutual respect for one another up until the very end of Steve Jobs' time on earth. Anything is possible and I hope that it does work out. A strong competition on a level playing field is always the best scenario for us as customers.  

post #69 of 80
Quote:

I believe seppuku is a Korean tradition isn't it?

It's Japanese and is from the Samurai Bushido honour code.

post #70 of 80
Samsung on Thursday replaced mobile design leader Chang Dong-Doom with deputy Ver Min-yuck.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMage View Post

Seems more like a promotion than a sack - why not fix the headline?
Because the former would have no reason for being an article here and the latter is good click bait. With the number of Samsung related articles here they might as well rename this site Samsung Insider.

No.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACT View Post

But their commercials said the 5S was such a great phone!

The 5S is the iPhone. Is it really that hard to type SGS 5?

Thanks to Samsung's deceitfulness, which you're well aware of, it's easy to confuse the two.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Samsung Insider...

No; this is Apple Insider.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #74 of 80
"Lee, who came in to work only on Wednesday afternoons every other week, has said he wishes to spend more time with his family."
post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

HA! Could have fooled me. Every other article is about Samsung on SamsungInsider and not Apple. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #76 of 80
Quote:

Quote:

HA! Could have fooled me. Every other article is about Samsung on SamsungInsider and not Apple. 

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #77 of 80
Quote:

SamsungInsider...with all the latest news on Samsung!

post #78 of 80
Quote:

Quote:

SamsungInsider...with all the latest news on Samsung!

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #79 of 80
Quote:

SamsungInsider

post #80 of 80
Quote:

Quote:

Apple Insider

Correct.

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung sacks mobile design chief after tepid reception for Galaxy S5