or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again

Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again

post #1 of 71
With more than 20 million combined Mac and iPad shipments, Apple handily retained its title as the world's largest PC vendor in the first quarter of 2014, the latest data from Canalys shows.

Though lower iPad shipments in the March quarter led to an overall decline, Apple's 20-plus-million Mac and iPad units shipped in the three month span was still plenty to give it first place and a 17 percent total share, Canalys announced on Thursday. Apple already announced in its quarterly earnings report last month that it shipped 16.3 million iPads and 4.1 million Macs for the period, giving it 20.4 million total PCs.

"The fall in iPad shipments in (the first quarter) was the sharpest ever," said Canalys Senior Analyst Tim Coulling. "Apple took action during the quarter to run down its iPad inventory -- a smart move as tablet stock in the channel rose due to strong seasonal shipments in the previous quarter. Longer term, we do not believe Apple's Q1 performance points to a decline in the tablet category, despite growing pressure from larger-screen smart phones.
Though the tablet market showed slowing growth in the first quarter, Canalys expects it to continue growing as consumers adapt and replace traditional notebooks and desktops.
"Consumers, and increasingly businesses, are continuing to adapt, with tablets acting as disruptors and finding their place as desktop and notebook replacements. Apple's ecosystem and the recent launch of Office for iPad should ensure it is well placed to remain a leader for some time."

The estimates from Canalys place Lenovo in second with combined 15 million tablet and traditional computer shipments, good for 12 percent. Lenovo actually saw its total shipments increase by two percentage points from the same period in 2013, allowing it to gain ground on Apple.

Notebook and desktop declines were slowed in the March quarter thanks to businesses upgrading from Microsoft's retired Windows XP platform to more modern, still-supported operating systems from the Redmond, Wash., software giant.

Taking third was HP, while Samsung saw shipments decline and fell to fourth. Dell rounded out the top five with just under 10 million tablets and traditional computers shipped in the quarter.

Total worldwide client PC shipments reached 123.7 million units in the first quarter of 2014, a 5 percent year over year increase. Tablet shipments grew 21 percent, cooling off their recent growth trends, but tablet shipments also reached 50.8 million units, outshipping notebook PCs. In all, tablets were 41 percent of the PC market, while notebooks accounted for 38 percent.

Previous data from Canalys issued in February showed Apple with a 19.5 percent share. For that period, Apple was larger than both HP and Dell combined.
post #2 of 71
Doomed. Doomed I tell ya. Sell all your stock. They can only fall from this position!
post #3 of 71

Somehow, I am not comfortable to include iPad/tablets into PC world.  They are altogether different.

post #4 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Somehow, I am not comfortable to include iPad/tablets into PC world.  They are altogether different.

Not really when you consider what the majority of users buy the machines for.
post #5 of 71
Quote:

For many applications they are fundamentally different, however there's no question tablets are cannibalizing what would have been laptop sales in the past.

post #6 of 71
World's Number 1! Yes!!!

Of course Microshit still have 97% of those old beige boxes mostly running Windows XP, assuming they still run at all, out there but who cares?
Edited by digitalclips - 5/8/14 at 1:23pm
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #7 of 71
Quote:

The other day, some research firm was including PC laptops (windows "convertibles") into the iPad/tablet world, so what's wrong with including iPads into the PC world?

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people have replaced laptops and even desktops with iPads. Are they exactly the same thing? Of course not, but iPads have taken over many tasks that would have previously required a laptop or desktop.

post #8 of 71
If you combine tablets and PC, but you can't.
If you combine Phones, Smarphones and notebooks, Nokia is the largest PC seller
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not really when you consider what the majority of users buy the machines for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

For many applications they are fundamentally different, however there's no question tablets are cannibalizing what would have been laptop sales in the past.

Interesting!
Since i bought my ipad, 90% of my time on a computer is on the ipad.
Only if i have to do something more complicated and involved ( video editing, 3d modeling, most photo editing but not all.. Etc) i go to my desktop!
Otherwise most everything is on the ipad.
It is a computer after all !
Give it a bit more screen realestate, faster processor and more accurate pointing device. And it could take over my pc 99%... It will happen imho!
post #10 of 71
Quote:

Not picking on you as many will say the same thing but .... Oh no, not that old saw again! An iPad Air would blow a 1990 IBM PC out of the water using any metric, OK? ... So when exactly do you draw the historical line on when a PC is a PC? Are PCs only PCs after they pass the point in time when they are more powerful than an iPad? That might be a fascinating calculation as I bet it would rule out over 50% (or more) of all PCs in the famous mantra "PCs have 97% of the market".
post #11 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The other day, some research firm was including PC laptops (windows "convertibles") into the iPad/tablet world, so what's wrong with including iPads into the PC world?

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people have replaced laptops and even desktops with iPads. Are they exactly the same thing? Of course not, but iPads have taken over many tasks that would have previously required a laptop or desktop.

Cars had replaced the Horse-Carts. So.. you cant put them together. May be, you can put them together as transportation means. But...

iPad/tablets are just another form of computing enabling the users to do their daily tasks on other kind of devices.  But they are not PCs or at least not even Macs. (???)

Dont know guys... I am not comfortable :no:.

post #12 of 71
Mixing Apple with Oranges. Riiiiiight....

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #13 of 71
Quote:

Cars had replaced the Horse-Carts. So.. you cant put them together. May be, you can put them together as transportation means. But...
iPad/tablets are just another form of computing enabling the users to do their daily tasks on other kind of devices.  But they are not PCs or at least not even Macs. (???)

Dont know guys... I am not comfortable 1oyvey.gif .

You made the case thank you

In the discussion you allude to then yes you would group cars and horse and cart contraptions as transportation. In this case the word is PC used in this context as a personal computer.

If PC = Personal Computer what on earth is an iPad if not a personal computer?

Now, if Scamsung tries to include fridges I'd have a problem with that 1wink.gif
Edited by digitalclips - 5/8/14 at 1:37pm
post #14 of 71
Quote:

I'm totally comfortable with it.

As a matter of fact, I'd claim that an iPad is more of a PC, than a traditional PC is. An iPad is the ultimate PC. PC stands for personal computer of course, and what's more personal than having your own little iPad to carry out your computing needs on? And a touch interface is far more personal and intuitive than using last century's input methods (mouse etc.)

post #15 of 71
Quote:

Exactly. And at some point in the past the same applied to laptops v desktops. Yes they are different and could be separated into individual groups  but at the same time they are all computing devices that perform many overlapping tasks. The iPad is just a different kind of computer. I could easily argue that iPhones should be included as they are computing devices with the added cell phone functionality. They cost the same as the majority of low end pc's and perform many computing functions better.  

post #16 of 71
Quote:

Cars v sports cars v SUV? I just think you can group them and separate them at will. There is no one right way to look at it. We have discussed the differences ad nauseam here before and the result is always... 'it depends'. Like with iPhone sizes perfection is relative.

post #17 of 71

Yes!! the old iPads are not PCs debate. It used to be that you need a PC to use an iPad so they are not PC. Then it was because you cannot develop for the iPad on the iPad. Now, since both of these issues are gone we need new reasons.. suggestions?!

post #18 of 71
Quote:

I agree with you for the most part.  It's obvious that tablets are a form of computer, but they're a different product segment and cause distortion of the numbers.  Not to mention, why are we stopping with tablets when there are phones that bridge the gap?  Is the Galaxy Mega a tablet?  What about the Xperia Z Ultra?  Both of those have screens larger than 6 inches and are basically only "phones" because they have a dialer.  And if we include those, then why not the smaller smartphones?  They are more similar to tablets than tablets are to traditional PCs after all.

post #19 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolim View Post

Have you been living under a rock from 2009? 

post #20 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yup, a tablet is more personal computer than a laptop or desktop or underdesk computer.

Even more personal computer is a handheld computer which some people mistakenly call smartphone (just because one of it's least used features is phone calling).

I suppose the ultimately personal computer is a wearable computer, e.g. wrist computer. People occasionally share handheld computers but very seldom wearable computers.

post #21 of 71

The definicion Personal Computer is more about computing power than be more personal to you.

SuperComputer, Mainframes, WorkStations, Personal Computers....

post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMember View Post

Have you been living under a rock from 2009? 

No and you?

And iPad i dont think it can be iqual as a PC. Until it can do the same things is more a companion to a pc than a pc

post #23 of 71
Quote:

No and you?

And iPad i dont think it can be iqual as a PC. Until it can do the same things is more a companion to a pc than a pc

and what are these things?

post #24 of 71
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yes!! the old iPads are not PCs debate. It used to be that you need a PC to use an iPad so they are not PC. Then it was because you cannot develop for the iPad on the iPad. Now, since both of these issues are gone we need new reasons.. suggestions?!

DigitalClips

Not picking on you as many will say the same thing but .... Oh no, not that old saw again! An iPad Air would blow a 1990 IBM PC out of the water using any metric, OK? ... So when exactly do you draw the historical line on when a PC is a PC? Are PCs only PCs after they pass the point in time when they are more powerful than an iPad? That might be a fascinating calculation as I bet it would rule out over 50% (or more) of all PCs in the famous mantra "PCs have 97% of the market".

Give me an logic answer to this and agree with you

An Example my 10 inch laptop cannot create apps for the iPad but i'm sure was included on that list

Edited by iMember - 5/8/14 at 2:07pm

post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You made the case thank you

In the discussion you allude to then yes you would group cars and horse and cart contraptions as transportation. In this case the word is PC used in this context as a personal computer.

Now, if Scamsung tries to include fridges I'd have a problem with that 1wink.gif

What I totally meant was... iPad still has to grow and usecases are yet to come out.  Its not yet that matured.  For me, still, a Mac/PC is more useful.  iPad is more of content consumption right now. There are better content creation apps there for iPad ... bus stilll they are yet to mature.  Its not a Mac/PC yet.

post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

and what are these things?

Have a big screen to use Photoshop or to code with Dreamweaver or XCode?

Attach to a big storage to use 400gb files.

See a webpage while changing the CSS style without have to put one app to sleep and wake another

post #27 of 71
Quote:

I'm totally comfortable with it.

As a matter of fact, I'd claim that an iPad is more of a PC, than a traditional PC is. An iPad is the ultimate PC. PC stands for personal computer of course, and what's more personal than having your own little iPad to carry out your computing needs on? And a touch interface is far more personal and intuitive than using last century's input methods (mouse etc.)

What I totally meant was... iPad still has to grow and usecases are yet to come out.  Its not yet that matured.  For me, still, a Mac/PC is more useful.  iPad is more of content consumption right now. There are better content creation apps there for iPad ... bus stilll they are yet to mature.  Its not a Mac/PC yet.

post #28 of 71
Good for apple - they are number one in the world! So many people have said they're dumb, doing everything wrong, terrible business model, going down in flames.. This seems like it was impossible to happen, but somehow here they are. It's simply because they under promise and over deliver. Making and keeping customers is the old fashioned way to make a great company.
post #29 of 71
Quote:

DigitalClips

Give me an logic answer to this and agree with you

An Example my 10 inch laptop cannot create apps for the iPad but i'm sure was included on that list

It think a good historical line will be, 2 generation of consumer procesor.

Its not the same a Core Solo Mac Mini than an i7 Mac Mini.

I cant see an iPad as a PC maybe in the future. Because today is still a companion device for a PC, more near a toy to a PC. But yes the PC was one a toy.

I am sure that one day we will see a PC like a toy and work with an iPad. But not today

post #30 of 71
Quote:

No and you?

I do agree with you but you have to agree with me too

Lenovo said they sold 15000000 PC's wich probably only 30% from those were actually pc's, and the rest was under iPad fuctionalities

post #31 of 71
Quote:

True. Are they PCs or post-PCs, after all?

If they are PCs, then post-PC theory goes down the toilet. I don't mind this definition (considering tablet as a PC) - after all, PCs are evolving all the time, from old-school desktops, to towers, to SFFs, to AIOs, to laptops... to tablets. And with Office, Lync, Skype... and other traditionally-PC applications being available on tablets, they are getting at least as functional PCs as netbooks were, back in the days.

However, if we are in post-PC era, then tablets are not PCs... they are standard-bearers of that post-PC era, right?

So... what will it be?
post #32 of 71
Quote:

I do agree with you but you have to agree with me too

Lenovo said they sold 15000000 PC's wich probably only 30% from those were actually pc's, and the rest was under iPad fuctionalities

Like Netbooks right? Yes I agree with you.

post #33 of 71
Quote:

Most people consider a iPad a laptop surrogate, but no one in their right mind considers a dumb phone to be a PC. I mean no one … ever.

post #34 of 71
Quote:

Have a big screen to use Photoshop or to code with Dreamweaver or XCode?

Weird.. My iPad mirrors on my Apple TV connected TV/monitor without an issue. Oh.. and I can use my iPad as a second screen for my Macbook if I want to.

There are equivalent apps available in the app store. They may not be as feature rich but they do the functions. There is no standard PC definition that says a PC must run x,y, and z software to be a PC.

Quote:

Attach to a big storage to use 400gb files.

Only 400GB?! I have complete access to my 2TB NAS from my iPad locally and over the internet.

Quote:
See a webpage while changing the CSS style without have to put one app to sleep and wake another

Again, check the app store. There many apps that let you edit webpages and view them within the app itself.

Next..

PS. I am not saying the iPad should or should not be considered a PC. My point is those who say it is not a PC need to come up with better arguments. All the arguments I hear are software related and only used by very small percentage of people.

Edited by NasserAE - 5/8/14 at 2:57pm
post #35 of 71
Quote:

It think a good historical line will be, 2 generation of consumer procesor.

Its not the same a Core Solo Mac Mini than an i7 Mac Mini.

I cant see an iPad as a PC maybe in the future. Because today is still a companion device for a PC, more near a toy to a PC. But yes the PC was one a toy.

I am sure that one day we will see a PC like a toy and work with an iPad. But not today

Agreed and i think iOS 8 will change that

post #36 of 71
And not to mention - the average selling price of iPads most likely beats any desktop or laptop average selling price. I like seeing this metric, combining tablets and laptops and desktops. It seems like you can combine any products you want in a survey, unless apple comes out ahead. Then it gets drowned out by the android and windows fans. But, when you combine the three, you get a good picture of the dent apple is really making in the computer world. Crazy that this is the same company that looked like it was beat 10 years ago.
post #37 of 71
Funny. An iPad is not the same as a PC And vice versa. You can't do a lot of things on the iPad as you would with the PC. I own both, always on the PC. Hardly even touched the iPad. It's just sitting there collecting dust.
post #38 of 71
Quote:

At work they are going to get rid of most PC's and we are moving to tablets, the process has begun.

Goodbye several thousand XP based PC's your demise can't come fast enough.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #39 of 71
What a strange world we live in when there are people that want to say that a netbook is fully capable personal computing device but the iPad isn't.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #40 of 71
Quote:

No and you?

Apple is about to overtake Nokia in total phones sold, Samsung overtook them a few years ago.

Back in the days when Symbian ruled the smartphone segment Nokia was number one.

Those days are long gone.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again