or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again - Page 2

post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

At work they are going to get rid of most PC's and we are moving to tablets, the process has begun.

Goodbye several thousand XP based PC's your demise can't come fast enough.

1) I remember when people said notebooks weren't real "PCs" because they lacked HW features that any all real "PCs" should have.

2) There seems to be this weird disconnect between how the device is actually utilized and this need to only include devices that can install an OS type that existed in the 90's. Since when was "PC" ever defined as requiring a mouse or a windowed OS? That surely wasn't the case when the term "PC" was first coined.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What a strange world we live in when there are people that want to say that a netbook is fully capable personal computing device but the iPad isn't.

 

It doesn't have MS Office.... oh wait!!

post #43 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It doesn't have MS Office.... oh wait!!

Another anti-Apple argument bites the dust. I wonder if those people will say that it's not the right kind of MS Office.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolim View Post
 

 

It think a good historical line will be, 2 generation of consumer procesor.

 

Its not the same a Core Solo Mac Mini than an i7 Mac Mini.

 

I cant see an iPad as a PC maybe in the future. Because today is still a companion device for a PC, more near a toy to a PC. But yes the PC was one a toy.

 

I am sure that one day we will see a PC like a toy and work with an iPad. But not today

 

It depends on what sort of work you do, where PC's are being used most.

 

Not everyone is editing 4K video, compiling massive spreadsheets or coding software on their PC's.

 

Before Internet connectivity came to the workplace the main use of work based PC's was probably Solitaire closely followed by Minesweeper.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Another anti-Apple argument bites the dust. I wonder if those people will say that it's not the right kind of MS Office.

 

I remember how hilarious it was when they said it is not a PC because you need a PC to activate an iPad. We kept telling them this can be solved with a software update.. then.. boom!! Apple updated the iOS to allow for PC free activation :lol:

post #46 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I remember how hilarious it was when they said it is not a PC because you need a PC to activate an iPad. We kept telling them this can be solved with a software update.. then.. boom!! Apple updated the iOS to allow for PC free activation lol.gif

That argument shifted its goalposts, too.


Of course, that can also be fixed with a SW update which I noted in my rebuttals, although I doubt it will happen as it's simply not needed at this point.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post
 

 

I remember how hilarious it was when they said it is not a PC because you need a PC to activate an iPad. We kept telling them this can be solved with a software update.. then.. boom!! Apple updated the iOS to allow for PC free activation :lol:

But is an iPhone connected to a bluetooth keyboard and a screen using airplay, or cables, a pc? Its powerful enough. It runs a very capable OS. Well, it does most things pretty well, or better than many pc's..

post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Cars had replaced the Horse-Carts. So.. you cant put them together. May be, you can put them together as transportation means. But...
iPad/tablets are just another form of computing enabling the users to do their daily tasks on other kind of devices.  But they are not PCs or at least not even Macs. (???)

Dont know guys... I am not comfortable 1oyvey.gif .

Don't worry about it too much, it'd bet it's probably something you ate...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #49 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But is an iPhone connected to a bluetooth keyboard and a screen using airplay, or cables, a pc? Its powerful enough. It runs a very capable OS. Well, it does most things pretty well, or better than many pc's..

An iPhone is primarily a phone. It is designed as a phone and people buy it because they need a phone. This is different from an iPad. For me a PC term controlled mainly by hardware and function.
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But is an iPhone connected to a bluetooth keyboard and a screen using airplay, or cables, a pc? Its powerful enough. It runs a very capable OS. Well, it does most things pretty well, or better than many pc's..

It's a computer and it's personal. It's easy to argue that an iPhone or iPad is more personal than some beige box running Windows.

What really matters is what it's used for. Why are people not buying traditional "PCs" as often as they used to? Are they simply not using a personalized computer device with internet access as much as before or have they replaced much of their traditional "PC" usage with another personal computing device because it's offers a better UX?

iOS has been instrumental as moving us away from browser-based connections to apps. On a traditional "PC" you're using your browser to connect to FaceBook and many other sites, but on an iOS-based device you're using a dedicated app. This ease-of-use could be a large part of why people have found traditional "PCs" so clunky and slow in comparison> Of course, the browser is still an option in iOS but the UX is better.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


Don't worry about it too much, it'd bet it's probably something you ate...

I ate the headline.

post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolim View Post

The definicion Personal Computer is more about computing power than be more personal to you.
SuperComputer, Mainframes, WorkStations, Personal Computers....

As I said earlier, how do you draw the time line on that argument? An iPad Air would blow away a 1990 IBM PC for power. So at some point in the quite recent past, using your logic, PCs were not PCs because they were less powerful than a current iPad.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It depends on what sort of work you do, where PC's are being used most.

Not everyone is editing 4K video, compiling massive spreadsheets or coding software on their PC's.

Before Internet connectivity came to the workplace the main use of work based PC's was probably Solitaire closely followed by Minesweeper.

And after the internet came about a third of the time employees were online was not related to the work they were hired to do. In fact when Ron Johnson and his team of mighty men studied what the employees of JC Penney's home office did during the day, they found that the staff watched 5 million YouTube videos in a single month.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

And after the internet came about a third of the time employees were online was not related to the work they were hired to do. In fact when Ron Johnson and his team of mighty men studied what the employees of JC Penney's home office did during the day, they found that the staff watched 5 million YouTube videos in a single month.

Holy Crap!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #55 of 72
Once Apple's OSX/iOS passed 17% it had passed a point on the curve where it needed to hit to become generally accepted by consumers. This feat passed by without anyone noticing . . . Big things are in store for Apple; that which came with difficulty before will not come much more easily.

2013 was a good year for Apple, but it will pale in comparison to 2014.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #56 of 72
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post
Last time I checked, an iPad has no access to its file system. An iPad can't email various types of attachments. An iPad can't download or transfer various file formats. And an iPad lacks the ability to use something as simple as a mouse for fine media editing.

 

Last time I checked, absolutely no one intelligent 1. wanted any of that, B. needed any of that, and Third. cared about A MOUSE ON A TABLET.

 

Take your trolling elsewhere.

post #57 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

Last time I checked, an iPad has no access to its file system.

Nope, because needing to access a file system to organize files is as foolish at those that wouldn't adopt the iPod because it had its own hierarchal system instead of letting you drag and drop items onto a mounted discs. Those other PMPs didn't fair so well.

Also not that Apple (and MS) has moved away from this with their desktop OS.
Quote:
An iPad can't email various types of attachments.

It sure can.
Quote:
An iPad can't download or transfer various file formats.

Again, it can.
Quote:
And an iPad lacks the ability to use something as simple as a mouse for fine media editing.

"As simple as a mouse" is probably the dumbest thing I've read in a forum in the past year.
Quote:
But yeah, let's include it as a PC so some survey can proclaim Apple the #1 PC seller. This website always gives me a good chuckle.

Keep ignoring how the iPad is hobbling the traditional "PC" market. Apple already owned it with Macs with now it's being attacked at the lower-end of the scale with people realizing they really just a need a fast car, which makes paying for a slow, clunky truck not designed for their personal computing needs a worthless endeavor.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #58 of 72
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post
Must have hit a nerve.

 

Yep, the “stop telling lies” nerve.


Stop telling lies.

 
So, if no one wants a file system, why bother with one on a real computer?

 

Because you don’t comprehend in the slightest what you’re talking about.

 

People dont do any serious media editing on a tablet… …Cant do it on an iPad

 

Prove it. Prove it. I’ll wait. You can’t.

 
Sorry, if these are inconvenient truths for you. Adios.  

 

Don’t you have a Prius to be showing off, Al? “I’m leaving, therefore I’m right” always gets a laugh out of me, though.

post #59 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

So, if no one wants a file system, why bother with one on a real computer?

1) You lose all credibility by saying iPads are fake and therefore can't be used for anything real.

2) Gee, why the **** do some people need a big as bed in their truck with the ability to pull a trailer but most people just need a car for commuting and shopping? It's almost like there are a wide range of automobiles that serve different purposes. What a fucking concept¡
Quote:
Why does Apple have a file system in OSX?

Why has Apple deprecated Finder with iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, many other apps, and every app that uses iCloud?
Quote:
Oh yeah, because people use them. But, they must all be stupid people. All those poor billions of computer users are just idiots in your twisted world.

There is only one idiot here. Wake up.
Quote:
And no one cares about using a mouse on an iPad because A) People don't do any serious media editing on a tablet, but rather a PC/Mac. B) Can't do it on an iPad, even if they wanted to C) All the above.

People do serious media on the iPad but you're weirdly ignoring the fact that most people don't do any on any personal computer. Your argument that people buy traditional "PCs" to do media editing is fucking BS. If you need a vehicle to haul lumber because you're a carpenter then you don't buy Prius for your work vehicle, you buy the appropriate automobile. This is no different from the "PC" market so you fear that people buying iPads will eventually make it impossible for you to buy a traditional "PC" is unfounded. Stop panicking and start thinking.
Quote:
Sorry, if these are inconvenient truths for you. Adios.

I hope that means you're leaving. Don't be liar anymore than you have already.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #60 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

Last time I checked, an iPad has no access to its file system. An iPad can't email various types of attachments. An iPad can't download or transfer various file formats. And an iPad lacks the ability to use something as simple as a mouse for fine media editing. But yeah, let's include it as a PC so some survey can proclaim Apple the #1 PC seller. This website always gives me a good chuckle.

So new definition, user access to file system defines a PC? I have to laugh though, in the years (and that's from when they first appeared) I've had to deal with end users on PCs the number one issue was the users had no clue how to save or find anything. The file system was a total mystery to them. "I don't know where it went". LOL
Edited by digitalclips - 5/8/14 at 5:33pm
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by erann View Post

I suppose the ultimately personal computer is a wearable computer, e.g. wrist computer. People occasionally share handheld computers but very seldom wearable computers.

The ultimate personal computer will be implanted and biologically merged with the user. Graphene and carbon nanotube electronics will allow this.
post #62 of 72
I remember when they told us a Mac wasn't a PC.
post #63 of 72

Are the $300 notebooks/laptops/netbooks included in the "PC" totals for other companies? If so, then you have to include the iPad. Because they can't do any more than the iPad does.

 

It's as portable as these small laptops (put it in a bag, but not a pocket), does what they do, and is in the same general price range.

 

Phones are even more portable (pocket size) than the $300 laptops, so they wouldn't be included.

 

It's really not that hard.

post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

XXXXcut to the BS >>>> And no one cares about using a mouse on an iPad because A) People don't do any serious media editing on a tablet, but rather a PC/Mac. B) Can't do it on an iPad, even if they wanted to C) All the above.

1) Check out Todailies from Light Iron. Here's a write up from a year ago. http://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-video-editing-tools-for-editors/todailes-digital-dailies-ipad-app/

or

2) From the editor of Iron Man (what's up with iron and film???)... Dan Lebental is a man who has worked on editing hit Hollywood movies like Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Elf, and Cowboys & Aliens. Today Lebental launched a new editing app for filmmakers, TouchEdit, which he has described as “a 21st century version of the moviola,” designed to bring the simplicity of editing real film to the iPad.

3) I don't even know where to start with professional audio apps... just a ton, and almost all exclusive to iPad due to Andgroin Android lagging problems, and many easier and better integrated than from a PC.

4) Photography apps galore including Lightroom integration. There's even apps that turn an iPad into a configurable controller for your Mac (for all kinds of media software) that makes a mouse rather dated as an input device. Besides, many (most?) professional photo post-production and retouchers all have Wacom tablets anyway.... so you can keep your mouse.

5) Last but not least, the #1 reason given why many millions have bought MacBooks to run Windows? The best touch track pad on any computer known to man, thus doing away with absolutely needing to take a mouse along. Apple took that tech to the logical next step on the iPad.

Suffice it to say... you're either
a) a blind, uneducated AND woefully inexperienced idiot if you still believe that you "need" a PC and mouse at all times during the creation, editing and previewing of visual and audio media... or
b) what TS labeled you above: a sorry a** troll...

"... or all of the above!"
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #65 of 72

I was just reading this article and thinking.  Now, I may not be a typical user, but I have to say this:  For the first time in my life, I use my smartphone (I happen to be an iPhone user) more as a computing (email, social media, short messaging) and media consumption (videos, streaming music) and photography device way more than I use it to make phone calls.  

 

If we start including smartphones, too, into the "computer" count, I wonder where that would put Apple in the mix?

post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post
 

 

Weird.. My iPad mirrors on my Apple TV connected TV/monitor without an issue. Oh.. and I can use my iPad as a second screen for my Macbook if I want to.

 

There are equivalent apps available in the app store. They may not be as feature rich but they do the functions. There is no standard PC definition that says a PC must run x,y, and z software to be a PC.

 

 

Only 400GB?! I have complete access to my 2TB NAS from my iPad locally and over the internet.

 

 

Again, check the app store. There many apps that let you edit webpages and view them within the app itself.

 

Next..

 

PS. I am not saying the iPad should or should not be considered a PC. My point is those who say it is not a PC need to come up with better arguments. All the arguments I hear are software related and only used by very small percentage of people.

 

I think is better work on a Apple Cinema Display than work on a TV. And i think is even better to work on 2 Apple Cinema Display. Sorry I want glamour. When i work.

 

Good luck working with that 400gb files with your iPad on the go, like  a Macbook

 

You can try do all that with an iPad. You will be more productive doing those things on a MacPro or a iMac.

 

I will be using an iPad to work if i can do all that i need to do. I only can use for read emails, i cant even use it to answer emails.

 

If i need to carry a keyboard with my iPad, I think i will be better with a MacBook Air.


Edited by chocolim - 5/9/14 at 2:52pm
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

It depends on what sort of work you do, where PC's are being used most.

 

Not everyone is editing 4K video, compiling massive spreadsheets or coding software on their PC's.

 

Before Internet connectivity came to the workplace the main use of work based PC's was probably Solitaire closely followed by Minesweeper.

 

You are very right. I am saying that you will need a PC for work that you cant use an iPad for.

 

An iPad is not a PC replacement, yet. There are people today that dont need a PC, so there are fine with an iPad.

post #68 of 72

Interestingly enough, I ran into a problem in this regard this very morning.

 

In applying for a grant, they asked to attach a file of the relevant 501c information. Of course, this was impossible from the iPad. I could open the file in my e-mail, of course, but moving it from there to Safari wasn’t possible.

 

I imagine iOS 8 or 9 will fix this, and it will be done without access to a filesystem in any capacity.

post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

Last time I checked, an iPad has no access to its file system. An iPad can't email various types of attachments. An iPad can't download or transfer various file formats. And an iPad lacks the ability to use something as simple as a mouse for fine media editing. But yeah, let's include it as a PC so some survey can proclaim Apple the #1 PC seller. This website always gives me a good chuckle.

Chuckle off to Buffalo.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #70 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

 

Weird.. My iPad mirrors on my Apple TV connected TV/monitor without an issue. Oh.. and I can use my iPad as a second screen for my Macbook if I want to.

There are equivalent apps available in the app store. They may not be as feature rich but they do the functions. There is no standard PC definition that says a PC must run x,y, and z software to be a PC.


Only 400GB?! I have complete access to my 2TB NAS from my iPad locally and over the internet.


Again, check the app store. There many apps that let you edit webpages and view them within the app itself.

Next..

PS. I am not saying the iPad should or should not be considered a PC. My point is those who say it is not a PC need to come up with better arguments. All the arguments I hear are software related and only used by very small percentage of people.

I think is better work on a Apple Cinema Display than work on a TV. And i think is even better to work on 2 Apple Cinema Display. Sorry I want glamour. When i work.

Good luck working with that 400gb files with your iPad on the go, like  a Macbook

You can try do all that with an iPad. You will be more productive doing those things on a MacPro or a iMac.

I will be using an iPad to work if i can do all that i need to do. I only can use for read emails, i cant even use it to answer emails.

If i need to carry a keyboard with my iPad, I think i will be better with a MacBook Air.

Rather than vomit lies, shut up and go away.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #71 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


Rather than vomit lies, shut up and go away.


Why do you think i am lying?

Maybe for you is hard to have two cinemas display. But it isnt if you are good in what you do.

post #72 of 72
iPad is an EMPPC - an Even More Personal Personal Computer. Dontcha kno?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Combined iPad, Mac shipments make Apple world's largest PC vendor once again