or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly nearing $3.2B acquisition of Beats Electronics

Apple reportedly nearing $3.2B acquisition of Beats Electronics - Page 6

post #201 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I don't believe it at all. I would start selling my Apple shares if it turns out to be true - it's incomprehensible.

I don't believe it either. I think someone at Beats is attempting to strong-arm Apple or create a bidding war for their trash audio product company.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #202 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

USA Today has confirmed through their own sources that this is not a rumor. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/05/08/report-apple-to-acquire-beats/8868913/

Until Apple confirms it, it is nothing but a rumor.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

post #203 of 254
Horrible idea. It would be the first time I'm truly concerned by a decision made by Cook

The hardware is crap

The brand is a joke

They are nowhere with music services

How does this not fall into the "no to a thousand things" bucket?

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #204 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that this is the single worst rumor that I've ever read since joining this site.

Same here. The worst

post #205 of 254

post #206 of 254
post #207 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Right, only the rumours that aren't real Apple should rush to comment on, as you've stated many times in this thread.

Rogifan wrote, "Obviously the rumor is legit otherwise Apple would have denied it by now."

Rogifan wrote,"If it's BS why isn't Apple denying it?"

Rogifan wrote,"Why would Apple want this rumor to persist if it's complete BS?"

You've also failed to realize how fucking new this rumour is and Apple's history of not operating with knee-jerk reactions to everything so even if they deny it tomorrow morning that's a more than adequate response time.
Everyone on CNBC this morning is panning it. Becky Quick wondered if everyone who wants Beats headphones already has them and her sidekick Joe Kernan said his kids are on their 2nd pairs already because they're plastic and break easily. Jon Fortt can't figure it out. He thinks the headphones are crap and stuff Apple would never design, Beats doesn't have any valuable IP and he thinks it's backwards looking acquisition. Andrew Ross Sorkin was basically pleading with Tm Cook NOT to do this, calling Beats a fashion accessory and a crappy product; that if Apple's going to spend the money then buy the best like Spotify.

I'm sorry but if Apple wasn't talking to Beats, if none of this was true I think they would have denied it by now. Because it's not making Apple look good. It's making them look like they're worried about their "cool" factor and are buying a brand to try and get some of that back; it looks like a money grab - wanting the revenue/profit stream from overpriced crap headphones; and that Apple is out of ideas, especially when it comes to iTunes.

All we can hope for at this point is the deal falls through or Apple comes to their senses. If Apple goes through with it they will be the laughing stock of Silicon Valley.
post #208 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Horrible idea. It would be the first time I'm truly concerned by a decision made by Cook

The hardware is crap

The brand is a joke

They are nowhere with music services

How does this not fall into the "no to a thousand things" bucket?
All we can hope is whoever came up with this idea has his/her senses knocked into them. I have a hard time believing Beats has some secret technology or stuff in the pipeline that is worth $3B.
post #209 of 254
Whatever happened to "skating to where the puck will be, not where it is right now"? Spotify is THE issue here. Whether or not a Beats deal would be good for Apple is up for debate (obviously). But the puck is not with iTunes anymore, despite the fact that it's still making (lots of) money. Spotify has no barriers to entry with their ad tier. iTunes Radio has nothing on Spotify's service.

All I can say is that I'd love to see Spotify choke on Apple, Beats or no Beats.
post #210 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

why would Apple NEED to transfer the rights? All they need to do is acquire Beats as a wholly owned subsidiary.  Leave the Beat brand alone and pull the puppet strings in their favor. 

I doubt the music companies would be so naive as to not have anticipated such a thing. I'd be shocked if a change in ownership didn't automatically trigger a renegotiation of licensing rights. This wouldn't be their first rodeo.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #211 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Everyone on CNBC this morning is panning it. Becky Quick wondered if everyone who wants Beats headphones already has them and her sidekick Joe Kernan said his kids are on their 2nd pairs already because they're plastic and break easily. Jon Fortt can't figure it out. He thinks the headphones are crap and stuff Apple would never design, Beats doesn't have any valuable IP and he thinks it's backwards looking acquisition. Andrew Ross Sorkin was basically pleading with Tm Cook NOT to do this, calling Beats a fashion accessory and a crappy product; that if Apple's going to spend the money then buy the best like Spotify.

I'm sorry but if Apple wasn't talking to Beats, if none of this was true I think they would have denied it by now. Because it's not making Apple look good. It's making them look like they're worried about their "cool" factor and are buying a brand to try and get some of that back; it looks like a money grab - wanting the revenue/profit stream from overpriced crap headphones; and that Apple is out of ideas, especially when it comes to iTunes.

All we can hope for at this point is the deal falls through or Apple comes to their senses. If Apple goes through with it they will be the laughing stock of Silicon Valley.

These are the same clowns that said 12 months ago that Samsung is eating Apples lunch and that Apple is doomed.

Fuk these azzholes.  They don't know jack sheet.  These are the same losers that said to sell Apple at $380-$420.  Look how idiotic they look now. 

post #212 of 254
I just downloaded the app -- setup is one of the best UXes I've seen on an iPad.

Apple could learn a few things from this app.

It's faster than lightening -- touch and immediately hear!

Combine this with my existing iTunes match, about 20,000 songs, music videos, podcasts ... they may be on to something.

BTW, to begin to understand the "follow the money" aspect:

http://www.asymco.com/2014/05/09/measuring-not-getting-the-cloud/#disqus_thread
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #213 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I just downloaded the app -- setup is one of the best UXes I've seen on an iPad.

Combine this with my existing iTunes match, about 20,000 songs, music videos, podcasts ... they may be on to something.

Do you think Apple would basically replace iTunes with someone else's music app?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #214 of 254
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Mind copying the text of that here? I’m not about to give Gizmodo a page hit.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #215 of 254

Dr. Dre can buy the Clippers after all.

post #216 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

Dr. Dre can buy the Clippers after all.

I thought Magic Johnson's group wanted to buy them?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #217 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Do you think Apple would basically replace iTunes with someone else's music app?

I think they could to some extent -- especially the iCloud and mobile components.

We have lots of music from (impossible to find) old records * thai is now on iCloud via iTunes match -- it is quite user-unfriendly and slow to access via iTunes on the Mac or the Music app on iDevices. The Beats app UX is far superior -- it seems to anticipate what you want to do,

Also, they could combine the iTunes Match subscription, with a streaming Beats subscription & you could 1-tap add the song to your purchased iCloud media.

Beats, has a social component, that if well-implemented, could be quite attractive to the millennial and young adults.

* Here's what I mean by an impossible to find record:

We tried for years to buy this, with no luck -- all I could remember were the melody and a few lines of the lyrics. Finally, I ended up singing a few bars to a guy in a record store -- and he remembered it too -- and ordered it!

Shazam couldn't even find it!

Edit: Lovey is now in the iTunes Music store -- it wasn't there, the last time I looked. But, the iTunes version has slightly different lyrics.

Shazam recognized the iTunes version ... Odd!

Another use for old recordings is that they preserve a moment in history, For Example:

The whole family watched the Kentucky Derby last Sunday -- and everyone enjoys the official song "My Old Kentucky Home" by Stephan Foster. I took the occasion to show how some things have changed in my lifetime:

In my childhood, the song started:

"Oh, the sun shines bright in my old Kentucky home,
   Tis summer -- the darkies are gay ... "

This is obviously racist and would/should not be used today. It is difficult to find a recording with the original words -- we happen to have one.
Quote:
"My Old Kentucky Home" became the official state song of Kentucky on March 19, 1928, by an act of the Kentucky legislature.[6] In 1986, Japanese students visiting the Kentucky General Assembly sang the song as a gesture of respect, but Carl Hines (D-Louisville), the only black state representative at the time, was quoted as saying that the lyrics "convey connotations of racial discrimination that are not acceptable". Within days, Hines sponsored House Resolution 159, which revised the lyrics to emend the word "darkies" to "people" at all official state functions involving the performance of the song.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Old_Kentucky_Home
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/14 at 8:56am
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #218 of 254
This video appears to have Dr. Dre excited about being the first billionaire in Hip Hop.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #219 of 254
Those folks at Beats are shady ones.
It wont be a surprise for me if all of this is to sell Dre's stock in a higher price...
post #220 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolim View Post

What do you base that off of?

post #221 of 254
I haven't read the entire thread. but here's a video that is revealing:

@ about 16 minutes in they start to discuss the [then] new Beats service.

http://video-api.wsj.com/api-video/player/iframe.html?guid=B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21&mg=reno64-wsj
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/14 at 9:59am
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #222 of 254
Quote:

Another thing... Beats Electronics only had $350 million in revenue in 2011. $3.2 billion would be massively overpaying.

In 2011 they did. In 2013, they had revenue of 1 billion. Great buy, Apple. Beats are the headphones of choice for 90% of the 18-25 yo demographic. And they sell at Apple margins. Just the hardware alone would make the $3billion plausible.
post #223 of 254
Quote:

@ about 19 minutes in they discuss the [then] new Beats service.

http://video-api.wsj.com/api-video/player/iframe.html?guid=B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21&mg=reno64-wsj

Could you describe it for those of us with data plans that prevent the heavy use of streaming video?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #224 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolim View Post

It wont be a surprise for me if all of this is to sell Dre's stock in a higher price...

Who's he selling those shares to? It's a private company.
post #225 of 254
$3.2 billion for mal-designed hardware and pseudo music? Not even worth $200 million. I have to agree with the market analysts who wrote that this makes no sense. The only reason would be to eliminate a competitor - but what a price.
This is the kind of headline you would expect on April 1st, but not now.
post #226 of 254
Quote:

Could you describe it for those of us with data plans that prevent the heavy use of streaming video?

All other services are search engines with algorithms that pull from those search engine results. Beats' system is "humanized" by having real people make lists and connect songs and artists in a natural way.

post #227 of 254
Quote:

Quote:

@ about 19 minutes in they discuss the [then] new Beats service.

I'm still watching it, but here goes:

Jimmy tells Walt that what the Beats Service offers is [a personal] curation that is based on your listening history, and current interests (mood, event, genre, artist, style, etc.) -- Beats selects the next song you hear and tells you what it is. Beats is dynamically curating a custom playlist for you at that specific point in time. The experts know what you like, and what you want to hear -- and are presenting the music especially for you.

Boom!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #228 of 254
Quote:

Quote:

All other services are search engines with algorithms that pull from those search engine results. Beats' system is "humanized" by having real people make lists and connect songs and artists in a natural way.

Yes!

You go to the gym on Friday -- When you wake up Friday morning, a special, curated, @SolipsismX playlist for you, today, at the gym is on your iDevice.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/14 at 10:22am
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #229 of 254
Quote:

Jimmy tells Walt that what the Beats Service offers is [a personal] curation that is based on your listening history, and current interests (mood, event, genre, artist, style, etc.) -- Beats selects the next song you hear and tells you what it is. Beats is dynamically curating a custom playlist for you at that specific point in time. The experts know what you like, and what you want to hear -- and are presenting the music especially for you.

Boom!

It was an enjoyable video. It certainly gives some insight into how this could benefit Apple with something they don't current have. Toward the end he makes a good comment about technology companies never really understanding how to curate.

post #230 of 254
Quote:

Boom!

And Apple wasn't able to connect those dots on their own? Ouch... That is a failure to understand the customer, IMO.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #231 of 254
Quote:

And Apple wasn't able to connect those dots on their own? Ouch... That is a failure to understand the customer, IMO.

1) Iovine talks about that very thing in the video. He says music companies will never get technology right and technology companies will never get curation right. He does praise Apple but notes they are limited in that area. I think he may be onto something.

2) I can completely see how Apple wouldn't even conceive of hiring people to manually make lists that connect songs in a natural way based on culture and mood.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/9/14 at 10:27am

post #232 of 254
Quote:

Quote:

Boom!

Not just Apple -- Google, FaceBook, Spotify and all the other tech companies.
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #233 of 254
Quote:

1) Iovine talks about that very thing in the video. He says music companies will never get technology right and technology companies will never get curation right. He does praise Apple but notes they are limited in that area. I think he may be onto something.

2) I can completely see how Apple wouldn't even conceive of hiring people to manually make lists that connect songs in a natural way based on culture and mood.
http://www.macstories.net/stories/why-beats-music-matters/
post #234 of 254
Quote:

Quote:

Exactly! Augmented [creative] computer intelligence 1biggrin.gif

Though, I think if Jobs were alive and well and heard the Iovine pitch today -- he'd. likely, go for it ...

A natural evolution:  Apple the Personal Computer;  Apple Computer;  Apple;  --> myApple.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/14 at 11:02am
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #235 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

And this video explains it all:

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #236 of 254
Quote:

Quote:

We can only hope...

:lol:

post #237 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

Quote:

What am I not understanding if iTunes Radio is not a music streaming service like Spotify?

Nothing like it. With Spotify I control what I listen to. Like a song? Listen to the whole album. Then listen to the band's whole catalogue. Then find a related artist and listen to thier catalogue. Download the lot into your phone. And it's only 3 days into the month.

You can't do anything like that on iTunes. Especially with radio.

Spotify is not competing with iTunes Radio. It's competing with iTunes music sales.

It's not the streaming, but the "rent all" rather than "buy one" model that Apple needs to catch up with.

With Spotify I rent everything for $15 a month.

With Apple I can buy 1 album a month for the same.

I don't like subscription models. Who does. But I'll go with renting everything.

iTunes should try to get to a stage where they can offer a subscription service with a rent to buy option: subscribe to buy. Pay $20/month to listen to anything you want, and get 30% discount if you want to buy the drm free version of something so you can own it for ever. I'd go $25 a month easy.

$40/month if it covered movies?

You're the exception, not the rule. Most people barely buy one album a year, let alone twelve. Radio is good enough for the majority.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #238 of 254
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

And this video explains it all:

Meh.

Streaming is great and all, but nothing is going to beat a custom playlist of your favourite tracks. I'm not excited about this rumour; headphones and streaming aren't very interesting to me. At best, you'll discover music you enjoy, but inevitably, it means having to listen to music you don't.

The number of people who go out of their way to buy superior headphones is tiny. Most stick with what comes with their phones.

The number of people who pony up money for a streaming service is similarly tiny. Most listen to the radio or buy the odd song.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #239 of 254
More hype than fact. It actually plays like something a music industry hack would cook-up in order to try to put Apple in a corner to take the deal. And at the same time drive up Beats stock price for a quick & profitable insider sale.
post #240 of 254
Apple has finally completed its transition to being the new Microsoft. Instead of innovating like they used to under Steve Jobs, now they merely buy companies that are already making products they like. This is how Microsoft got many of its products, like Office and Internet Explorer. They didn't invent them, they bought them. The bottom line is, those who can innovate, do; those who can't, acquire. Welcome to mediocrity, Apple.
Edited by popnfresh - 5/10/14 at 3:17pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly nearing $3.2B acquisition of Beats Electronics