or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly nearing $3.2B acquisition of Beats Electronics

Apple reportedly nearing $3.2B acquisition of Beats Electronics - Page 3

post #81 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

When is the last time Apple bought a well known brand and kept that brand name? If Apple was looking to get into the high end audio space they wouldn't do it through Beats. I'd love to know what they have that Apple thinks is so valuable (or doesn't want someone else to have)? If they're buying Beats to create a Spotify competitor then watch out for some other big tech company to swoop up Spotify.

Ah... you cracked it, Spotify started this rumor ... 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #82 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Lord, I hope not. Apple is capable of making their own streaming service and this simply has to be a false rumor. This would be a very poor match in terms of brands. Beats is downmarket trash compared to Apple.
What on earth are Tim and Eddy thinking? They're going to pay $3B for Jimmy Iovine and Trent Reznor? Seriously?
post #83 of 254
Quote:

Lord, I hope not. Apple is capable of making their own streaming service and this simply has to be a false rumor. This would be a very poor match in terms of brands. Beats is downmarket trash compared to Apple.

But Apple hasn't been able to make their own streaming service. Everyone else has but Apple.
post #84 of 254
OH GOD NO!!!!!!!

They make crap headphones that fall apart with crazy markup prices.

Are they still affiliated with Monster Cable?

Look up that scumbag company.
post #85 of 254
Quote:

Robert Brunner is the beats hardware designer. He was Jony Ive's boss before he left Apple and Ive replaced him. Does he come back to Apple and now work for Ive? lol.gif

Brunner works at Ammunition, an industrial and graphic design firm. It would make no sense to buy Beats if all Apple was after was product design. I am very skeptical of this rumor.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #86 of 254
Quote:

What on earth are Tim and Eddy thinking? They're going to pay $3B for Jimmy Iovine and Trent Reznor? Seriously?

Then set Jimmy up with his own version of American Idol brought you you from Space Ship Apple.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #87 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Looks beats I don't like the quality of the sound becasue they insane the base but the design is great. Maybe is patents Apple is going after and also they could probably some how use them in iWatch or Apple Watch.

Apple would not purchase a company for design patents. They can create their own designs.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #88 of 254

Another thing... Beats Electronics only had $350 million in revenue in 2011. $3.2 billion would be massively overpaying.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #89 of 254

I think it would be better if Apple bought 8tracks. 

post #90 of 254
Quote:

Brunner works at Ammunition, an industrial and graphic design firm. It would make no sense to buy Beats if all Apple was after was product design. I am very skeptical of this rumor.
Oh I know that. I just thought it was amusing that the designer of beats hardware used to be Jony Ive's boss.

Anyway Apple paying $3B for headphones makes no sense. And headphones that, even though they sell well, have a reputation as being overpriced crap. Why in the world would Apple want to tie themselves to that brand? This one is a real head scratcher to me,
post #91 of 254
Quote:

Another thing... Beats Electronics only had $350 million in revenue in 2011. $3.2 billion would be massively overpaying.

Maybe the rumor has a decimal place error ....

Oculus Rift next?
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #92 of 254
Simply put, if this deal is true, it just means Apple has lost its heart and soul.
post #93 of 254
Time has some good questions: http://time.com/93309/apple-buying-beats/
post #94 of 254
Wake me up when this passes. Beats is very mediocre

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #95 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

Simply put, if this deal is true, it just means Apple has lost its heart and soul.
If it's not true I'm surprised Apple hasn't denied it already.
post #96 of 254
Quote:

Apple would not purchase a company for design patents. They can create their own designs.

The root design of iTunes was bought - anything is possible.

post #97 of 254
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
Oculus Rift next?

I’d be fine with Apple buying it just to get it out of Facebook’s hands.

But you know Zuckerberg won’t part with anything he gets his grubby little hands on.

post #98 of 254
Quote:

I believe their sales last year were $1.2B. What were Nest and WhatsApp sales last year?
post #99 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But you know Zuckerberg won’t part with anything he gets his grubby little hands on.

Right ... I forgot that ...
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #100 of 254
Wired thinks it's Apple's best idea since the iPad. Basically argue that Apple needs to get the "cool" factor back and this is the way to do it. 1oyvey.gif1oyvey.gif1oyvey.gif

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/apple-beats-best-idea-since-ipad/
post #101 of 254
Quote:

Wired thinks it's Apple's best idea since the iPad. Basically argue that Apple needs to get the "cool" factor back and this is the way to do it. 1oyvey.gif1oyvey.gif1oyvey.gif

I think that this is the single worst rumor that I've ever read since joining this site.

post #102 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post

OH GOD NO!!!!!!!

They make crap headphones that fall apart with crazy markup prices.

Are they still affiliated with Monster Cable?

Look up that scumbag company.

No, Monster hasn't been involved in ages. They were squeezed out in a very ironic move a long time ago.

One of Iovine's many amazing talents is that he sold Interscope for huge sums and then bought it back for a fraction years later several times. He's kind of a genius at making something with a value of x be accepted as worth either 10 times x or 1/10 x.

PS: Chalk up those "reported" meetings in LA with corporate music industry during the Grammys as having happened.
post #103 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At least that would be worth it, since that tech is definitely going to be useful in the future.

post #104 of 254

After Apple locks up Beats they can snap up Monster Cable.  These premium brands will really help Apple's image.  \s

post #105 of 254
Quote:

I believe their sales last year were $1.2B. What were Nest and WhatsApp sales last year?

As the Time article pointed out, Apple makes smaller company acquisitions. This would be "out of character" for Apple and it makes little sense.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #106 of 254
Quote:

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/apple-beats-best-idea-since-ipad/

They're not known for their business savvy.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #107 of 254

Netflix: Not a chance. It's a money pit.

Yahoo: Never want to be an ISP

Beats: Doubt this one as well. Apple won't pay much over fair market valuation, never mind 3x.

Apple is building tools for Producers to create 3rd party products, in various markets.

Headphone market is not a big one.

post #108 of 254

The main reason Apple buys companies is to bring them in-house because the represent a critical component of an Apple product.

With Beats, Apple gets patented speaker technology and streaming audio.  Beats may have also had other breakthroughs that no one knows about for all that money.  I know that Apple spends every dollar as if it was their last.

This could enhance iTunes and iPhones, AppleTV, iPods, Macs, iPads

Wow... almost every single Apple product could be enhanced by Beats; not to mention iTV.

All I can say is that I trust Apple to spend their money wisely.

Time will tell.

post #109 of 254
Lol at the above comments.

People, Apple wants Beats for its MUSIC SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE.

It's an absolutely crucial purchase, and one that'll fast-track a much needed iTunes streaming music service.

Apple needs to get into the music streaming game quickly before Spotify takes over the market.

Beats' streaming system and curating service is something iTunes lacks, so I hope the seal happens.
post #110 of 254

Streaming service technology.

Seems like this is probably about "Daisy / MOG". Not about a pair of headphones.

http://www.thembj.org/2013/03/the-promise-of-daisy/

post #111 of 254

I am looking forward to referring to him as "Billionaire Dr. Dre."

post #112 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

Lol at the above comments.

People, Apple wants Beats for its MUSIC SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE.

It's an absolutely crucial purchase, and one that'll fast-track a much needed iTunes streaming music service.

Apple needs to get into the music streaming game quickly before Spotify takes over the market.

Beats' streaming system and curating service is something iTunes lacks, so I hope the seal happens.
And that's worth $3B?
post #113 of 254

As others have indicated, the only conceivable reason for this acquisition that I can see would entail content and streaming rights, and perhaps some technology tied to creating curated playlists. By all accounts, the Beats radio service is a serious contender, and the curation seems better dialed into how listeners mix and match artists and genres. Some of the mergers and partnerships out there that on the surface do not make much sense, like the Dish/Blockbuster merger, will also include extensive content rights that the media misses.

Some of the oft-noted criticisms of iTunes Radio are that it might not create relevant playlists, it repeats a lot of songs, and might mismatch genres. With the Beats streaming service, they seem to have gotten a lot of things right from the outset, and Apple might be trying to tap into that. But, how would this tie into iTunes and the iOS ecosystem, given that many of the subscribers use Beats streaming on other platforms? Also, $3 billion is quite steep for what Beats offers.

I just can't see Apple though acquiring Beats for their headphone and Bluetooth speaker lines. While they are well-marketed and sell well with high margins, they also do not have a good reputation for performance and value. Also, Beats has diluted the brand by licensing it to HTC smartphones and HP PCs. Stuff like this would seem to cheapen Apple's brand image. Also, I thought that Beats Audio was a joint venture with Monster Cable (another company known for peddling high priced products with marginal quality) -- where are they in the discussion?

For my listenings, the Beats headphones are a mess. I much prefer the Grados, which sound great and are handmade in Brooklyn.

Edited by Woochifer - 5/8/14 at 6:34pm
post #114 of 254

Of course . iTunes in an $8 BILLION/year business.  Streaming could drive that figure higher.

post #115 of 254
Quote:

And that's worth $3B?

Of course . iTunes in an $8 BILLION/year business.  Streaming could drive that figure higher.

post #116 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

What does Beats streaming have that Apple already doesn't have for streaming that is worth anything, much less $3.2 billion?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #117 of 254

Wut?  Makes no sense to me...

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #118 of 254
Apple is not in talks to buy Beats.
post #119 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Netflix: Not a chance. It's a money pit.
Yahoo: Never want to be an ISP
Beats: Doubt this one as well. Apple won't pay much over fair market valuation, never mind 3x.

Apple is building tools for Producers to create 3rd party products, in various markets.

Headphone market is not a big one.

I agree with your evaluation.

If this deal happens, there's more going on than meets the eye ...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #120 of 254
AI generated duplicate

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple reportedly nearing $3.2B acquisition of Beats Electronics