or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition

Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition - Page 5

post #161 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The headphones are irrelevant, it's all about the licensing to help grow iTunes.

Will they scrap all those high priced headphones? That's a big chunk of revenue:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/dr-dre-pays-150-million-buy-beats-dre-company/

The two bought back 25% of the company for $150m in 2012.

"Dr. Dre was seen wearing his headphones in nationwide Dr. Pepper commercials and Jimmy Iovine was frequently wearing a pair around his neck during his appearances as an American Idol coach. The strategy worked and Beats By Dre quickly captured roughly 25% of the worldwide headphone market, selling over 1.5 million units and generating revenues of $500 million in 2011."

Apple could make a set of headphones that have an iPod integrated into them and wireless and cable connections for a Mac. They could improve the bundled headphone quality with the iPhone. If you save having to buy a 3rd party set of headphones, that's a selling point for the iPhone e.g iPhone with beats for $650 vs Android with some other brand headphones for $450 + $150.

It seems a waste to get rid of the hardware when that's a huge part of the brand and revenue.

I wonder if they'll perform at WWDC:

They better bring some booty. WWDC never has enough booty.
post #162 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Will they scrap all those high priced headphones? That's a big chunk of revenue:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/dr-dre-pays-150-million-buy-beats-dre-company/

The two bought back 25% of the company for $150m in 2012. .

Here's the thing about these kinds of transactions... They only work when there are people on the inside committed to the ongoing growth and sales of the product. Might not the Beats team be less committed now they've (allegedly) gotten paid? Entrepreneurs tend to get very restless if they have to report to a "boss."

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #163 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Here's the thing about these kinds of transactions... They only work when there are people on the inside committed to the ongoing growth and sales of the product. Might not the Beats team be less committed now they've (allegedly) gotten paid? Entrepreneurs tend to get very restless if they have to report to a "boss."

I agree about entrepreneurs not liking to report to someone else but the payment shouldn't be important. They already have hundreds of millions of dollars. They spent over $100m to buy back in.

There's also the matter of the acquisition being in cash or stock. With stock, they may have to commit to projects for a certain timeframe. The people in question don't own 100% of beats either, some of Apple's purchase should make its way to their competitor HTC. Dre etc own less than 1/3.
post #164 of 174
Quote:

I agree about entrepreneurs not liking to report to someone else but the payment shouldn't be important. They already have hundreds of millions of dollars. They spent over $100m to buy back in.

There's also the matter of the acquisition being in cash or stock. With stock, they may have to commit to projects for a certain timeframe. The people in question don't own 100% of beats either, some of Apple's purchase should make its way to their competitor HTC. Dre etc own less than 1/3.

If Beats owners join Apple's board, I tend to think a stock deal would be more likely.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #165 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Could it be you misunderstood my post(?)... because the video doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I think it's rather calm and laid back considering the sum and success(!)

In agreement, adding my own take on the video.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #166 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, only children think that swearing is adult.

Well, **** me it's the fountain of youth.

post #167 of 174
Quote:

HTC already sold all their stock in two lots $150 million and $200 million, thanks to Samsung's marketing hype machine they haven't turned a profit for several years now.

In an earlier post, the headphones aren't that important, the B logo on the side sure is.

post #168 of 174
Quote:

I was really getting depressed reading all of the posts on multiple threads that had a very sad and pathetic underlying racist and cultural discriminatory tone...

Indeed, there really is no reason whatsoever to have racism mixed into this rumour.
Quote:
Re: after the World Cup I was thinking which series I would really like to binge on again... and I'm at a toss up between The Wire and Breaking Bad.

I thought The Sopranos was the best series, but after seeing The Wire after that I thought they were my favourite. Then I saw Six Feet Under & Breaking Bad. Guess I now have 4 shows sharing that #1 spot.

Quote:

... and I mistakenly followed a link to to the YouTube video featuring the Dr. Dre/FB vid... the comments are nauseating!

The comments on YouTube are best not read. Wikipedia even thinks so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google#YouTube_user_comments
Quote:
On November 6, 2013, Google implemented a new comment system that requires all YouTube users to use a Google+ account to comment on videos, thereby making the comment system Google+-orientated. The corporation stated that the change is necessary to personalize comment sections for viewers, in response to an overwhelmingly negative public response—even YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim expressed disdain by writing on his channel: "why the **** do I need a Google+ account to comment on a video?". The official YouTube announcement received over 59,000 "thumbs down" votes and only just over 3,300 "thumbs up" votes, while an online petition demanding Google+'s removal gained more than 230,000 signatures in just over two months.

Quote:

...th video doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I think it's rather calm and laid back considering the sum and success(!)

...and no mention of Apple Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Profanity for one.

Oh please...  Grow up!  Will you?
What a repulsive man Dr. Dre is as shown on this video. 

That was my point indeed. No problem of using MF in a song, but seems unnecessary if one simply talks. I don't think it adds any value to the point one is making.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #169 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Indeed, there really is no reason whatsoever to have racism mixed into this rumour.
I thought The Sopranos was the best series, but after seeing The Wire after that I thought they were my favourite. Then I saw Six Feet Under & Breaking Bad. Guess I now have 4 shows sharing that #1 spot.
The comments on YouTube are best not read. Wikipedia even thinks so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google#YouTube_user_comments

...and no mention of Apple Inc.
That was my point indeed. No problem of using MF in a song, but seems unnecessary if one simply talks. I don't think it adds any value to the point one is making.

Hey, missed your input in the 500+ marathon thread above! 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #170 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey, missed your input in the 500+ marathon thread above! 1biggrin.gif

Hadn't finished the other 5 threads yet¡

...and I miss your comments on an Aperture WishList I created here.
post #171 of 174

Heineken-fueled celebration?

Q. You have just become a billionaire. What drink do you choose to celebrate this?

QQ. Even if you haven't just become a billionaire, but assuming you are quite rich and successful, why would you be drinking Heineken?

A. Champagne, surely?

AA. Nothing against Heineken. It's quite a good beer, especially if you are poor and not successful and can't afford better quality craft beers. 

post #172 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

AA. Nothing against Heineken. It's quite a good beer, especially if you are poor and not successful and can't afford better quality craft beers.

Or an iPhone.
post #173 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Heineken-fueled celebration?

Q. You have just become a billionaire. What drink do you choose to celebrate this?

QQ. Even if you haven't just become a billionaire, but assuming you are quite rich and successful, why would you be drinking Heineken?

A. Champagne, surely?

My greatest concern was the lack of judgment. The good "doctor" needs to be more cognizant of Apple's need for secrecy. If I signed an NDA after getting a billion-dollar deal done with Apple, I'd tell no one until given the "OK" by Apple. Not even family or friends.

Who knows, maybe it was a done deal until the leak and video surfaced, then Apple had second thoughts?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #174 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If Beats owners join Apple's board, I tend to think a stock deal would be more likely.

This thought reminds me a bit of the last season of House of Cards with the DollaHyde antics.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition