or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition

Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition - Page 3

post #81 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

NO, it doesn't.

However, it does appear that your trying to block out the very fact that African Americans are far more successful in the music biz (and in general) than you give them credit for. Their cultural idiosyncrasies and fun with colorful language shouldn't discriminate against them from enjoying Apple tech just like all of us Lilly-White-Bread-Old-Folks around here. If anything, I think their inclusion and cultural influence will take some of the brand-heat off of the "traditional" Apple fans (see LWBOF above).

As much as it pains me to say, SJ is dead and his personal taste in music is not future-forward and all inclusive, what with Dillon, Beatles, U2, Cold Play etc. making up his playlists. Across Europe, Asia and South America the black influence on musical tastes among the younger generation is hard to ignore and has been trending continuously for some time now.

If the addition of Dr. Dre and the South Central dudes adds another level off "cool" to get the young'ns interested in saving up and owning Apple/Beats stuff... I'm not going to be the idiot that says it shouldn't happen.

Sheeeeeeeeet!.... and certainly not for any cultural differences of opinion or language usage......... 1smoking.gif

Is that you Spike Lee?

Where's the new Apple TV?

And still waiting for SolipsismX to prove his accusation:
"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...

"And yet they haven't loved Google Wallet which you claimed was the exact same thing and kept posting...
post #82 of 174
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
Then you're a clairvoyant?

DUDE! You can’t just say that to a clear person; what’s wrong with you?! :lol: 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #83 of 174

Well 

I guess it's a done deal.  Whether the video in question was low brow or not is irrelevant.   One can easily 

infer from watching the video that the deal has indeed been done and the Financial Times report is correct that 

loose ends are being tied up. 

I'm on record for thinking that this is a good thing.   Jimmy Iovine has sway within the industry that Apple needs to 

maintain dominance.   I think there's on opportunity to create synergy between subscription services and music ownership 

I don't think the two need to be mutually exclusive. 

I'd love to be able to subscribe to the Beats Music Apple product for a monthly fee through my Apple ID.  Should I end up purchasing 

enough music to cross a threshold my monthly subscription fee would be waived creating a win/win for music lovers. 

I think Hi Rez audio is coming.  I'm looking for 24-bit support in the next Apple TV and Airport Express.   I could even see Beats Headphones employing some wearable tech in the future.  

It's time to skate to where the puck is going. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #84 of 174

Can we set some facts straight?

1. Dr. Dre WAS a rapper; his last album was in 2001. He may still rap but he’s really an entrepreneur, producer, businessman and philanthropist.

2. Tyrese is NOT a rapper; he’s an R&B singer and actor.

The term rapper” can be loaded and inflammatory, so the least the writer of this article should do is aim for accuracy. Some folks on this thread are reacting to the hip hop/rapper imagery which is emotional and irrational and obscures the business facts. 

Regardless of what some may think of hip hop, this acquisition (if true) is a business decision. Music remains an integral part of Apple’s strategy and acquiring/partnering with Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine surely has a sound business basis. All we can do right now is speculate.

Let’s wait until the ink is dry and an official announcement made before we start shedding Apple stock and jumping off rooftops because we think Tim Cook may have lost his mind.

By the way, the Dr. Dre/Tyrese partying simply means someone probably didn’t follow the rules of the non-disclosure agreement.

post #85 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Well 

I guess it's a done deal.  Whether the video in question was low brow or not is irrelevant.   One can easily 
infer from watching the video that the deal has indeed been done and the Financial Times report is correct that 

I'm on record for thinking that this is a good thing.   Jimmy Iovine has sway within the industry that Apple needs to 
maintain dominance.   I think there's on opportunity to create synergy between subscription services and music ownership 

I'd love to be able to subscribe to the Beats Music Apple product for a monthly fee through my Apple ID.  Should I end up purchasing 
enough music to cross a threshold my monthly subscription fee would be waived creating a win/win for music lovers. 

I think Hi Rez audio is coming.  I'm looking for 24-bit support in the next Apple TV and Airport Express.   I could even see Beats Headphones employing some wearable tech in the future.  

Consumers cannot tell the difference between middling-quality and high-quality audio.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #86 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

What clowns

What a terrible deal by Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Has Cook and the board lost their minds? This is really making me think hard about the Apple stock I currently hold. Don't do it Tim! 1oyvey.gif

Quote:

God help us.

Let me get this straight... they are "clowns" why? Because they are happy and want to celebrate the biggest deal in his and their friends life? Because they maybe had a little too much beer and are happy? I'd like to see all of you when your favorite team wins a big game or championship and how you act in your homes or at the bar! Guess you are always calm and never get excited.

A lot of this (to me) is subliminal racism. If Beats were owned by Bono or Robert Plant I think a lot of people here would have zero problem with the alleged deal. But for heavens sake, not some rappers, not some guys from the city... not these guys, it's the downfall of Apple. Small minded people. I don't own anything from Beats, but there is no question Beats is a huge brand and whether you like Dr. Dre, Hip-Hop or the headphones themselves, their products are extremely successful and make a ton of money. Jimmy Iovine is a business and music legend and so is Dr. Dre. Don't be such typical Apple elitist and snobs, get off your high horses. Sell your stock and Apple products today, Tim and Apple won't miss you. Amazing.

post #87 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Let me get this straight... they are "clowns" why? Because they are happy and want to celebrate the biggest deal in his and their friends life? Because they maybe had a little too much beer and are happy? I'd like to see all of you when your favorite team wins a big game or championship and how you act in your homes or at the bar! Guess you are always calm and never get excited.

A lot of this (to me) is subliminal racism. If Beats were owned by Bono or Robert Plant I think a lot of people here would have zero problem with the alleged deal. But for heavens sake, not some rappers, not some guys from the city... not these guys, it's the downfall of Apple. Small minded people. Beats is a huge brand and whether you like Dr. Dre, Hip-Hop or the headphones themselves, their products are extremely successful and make a ton of money. Jimmy Iovine is a business and music legend and so is Dr. Dre. Don't be such typical Apple elitist and snobs, get off your high horses. Sell your stock and Apple products today, Tim and Apple won't miss you. Amazing.

Apple represents quality. Their mantra has been quality over quantity and quality over sales. A second-rate headphone company does not represent quality.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #88 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

it might be a huge brand but there is nothing classy about it. And a lot of people considerate overpriced junk. Why would Apple want to be associated with that?

This race card bullsht is BULL-SHT.

I'm a black guy. I like hip hop. I listen to hip hop music. I've used beats, I've gifted beats.

I've also been following apple for 10 years, have stock and work in IB.

To me, this is a HORRIBLE DEAL.

And it's not so much that it's a company with little real value to Apple, or that is was built by and is associated with black people, but that it's rumored to be acquired at a 3.2 B price tag.

And of course, in the vein of hip hop, the first comment from Dre himself references the East-West coast conflict, peppered with profanity. This is a horrible message to send to Apples user base and investors.

It's a snuff at Job's legacy in many ways.
post #89 of 174
Quote:

Well 

Puck u!

Seriously? Hi Rez sound through crappy Beats? Logitech makes better sounding headphones.
Edited by pazuzu - 5/9/14 at 9:19am

post #90 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Consumers cannot tell the difference between middling-quality and high-quality audio.

Very true.  Disclaimer  I own Beats Pro Headphones  

http://www.beatsbydre.com/headphones/pro/beats-pro.html 

I'm 100% sure that I could have found some better headphones at $400 but I only paid half through employee purchase.  Aside from being far too heavy they sound better than most cheaper headphones as they should. 

If I was actually going to spend $400 these PSB M4 would be on the short list 

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760M4U2/PSB-M4U-2-Black.html

Eventually I plan to get some Planar Headphones as they are coming down in price. 

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=102 HE-500 from Hifi Man or 

Oppo PM-1  https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-1/ 

I realize that i'm a dying breed of people that want to listen to their audio as pristine as possible with great playback.   It's expensive no matter which way you look at it.    Most people just don't care enough.   I'm ok with that . 

- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #91 of 174
For all of you doubters, look back to the aquisitions Apple made before it launched iTunes. Everybody thought they were crazy for getting into music at a time the music industry was in its death throws. I admit that I did, too, before I understood what they were trying to do.
post #92 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelock View Post

For all of you doubters, look back to the aquisitions Apple made before it launched iTunes. Everybody thought they were crazy for getting into music at a time the music industry was in its death throws. I admit that I did, too, before I understood what they were trying to do.

Unless Beats has developed some spectacular secret technology, I can't see it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #93 of 174
Quote:

Very true.  Disclaimer  I own Beats Pro Headphones  
http://www.beatsbydre.com/headphones/pro/beats-pro.html 

I'm 100% sure that I could have found some better headphones at $400 but I only paid half through employee purchase.  Aside from being far too heavy they sound better than most cheaper headphones as they should. 

If I was actually going to spend $400 these PSB M4 would be on the short list 
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760M4U2/PSB-M4U-2-Black.html

Eventually I plan to get some Planar Headphones as they are coming down in price. 

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=102 HE-500 from Hifi Man or 
Oppo PM-1  https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-1/ 

I realize that i'm a dying breed of people that want to listen to their audio as pristine as possible with great playback.   It's expensive no matter which way you look at it.    Most people just don't care enough.   I'm ok with that . 

Excuse me sir- I hate to burst your bubble but
audiophiles do not buy or own Beats.

post #94 of 174
Quote:

I remember those days.   Glad Apple didn't listen. 

Quote:

Or Bose for that matter.   My bubble cannot be burst because it's fortified with 

Audio Research , Wilson & Dynaudio :D

Ok ..I don't own any of this stuff but that's the dream before my ears fade. 

- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #95 of 174
For all of you doubters

Except this is inherently different.

post #96 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I put up a poll here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/179341/will-apple-buy-beat-electronics

What good is a poll?

As to the value of this purchase, it probably has a long tern strategy most here complaining can't see. Probably a short term strategy too, as this gives Apple a strong foot hold in streaming and another avenue to market for hardware. I can see the Beats/Apple tie up leading to all sorts of new audio products.
post #97 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Hmmm. Why does the tone of most of the panic stricken posts here and elsewhere on this subject remind me of the right wing's feelings about the president?
Could it be paranoia? If this tie up is real I see considerable advantage for Apple over the long run. However our president is a fool with total disrespect for the constitution. Big difference there guy and honestly pointing out the dangers of the current presidency is not right wing at all, it is called being honest.
Quote:
What is similar?... What could it be?

Nothing really.
post #98 of 174

I wonder if the video is a publicity stunt to capitalize on false or planted rumors. Having Apple buy beats doesn't make much sense to me unless they plan to keep it as a separate entity and to keep it out of the hands of the competition if it takes off.

post #99 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by izaiahmazin View Post

This race card bullsht is BULL-SHT.

I'm a black guy. I like hip hop. I listen to hip hop music. I've used beats, I've gifted beats.

I've also been following apple for 10 years, have stock and work in IB.

To me, this is a HORRIBLE DEAL.

And of course, ...peppered with profanity. This is a horrible message to send to Apples user base and investors.

Says the guy who uses profanity in his first sentence, way to live up to your own standards. And since I am a "brown" man, my skin is not black, thanks for letting us know you speak for all of us and anyone with an opposing opinion is not allowed. I speak for me and my point has been made earlier and I stand by it.

post #100 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

I wonder if the video is a publicity stunt to capitalize on false or planted rumors. Having Apple buy beats doesn't make much sense to me unless they plan to keep it as a separate entity and to keep it out of the hands of the competition if it takes off.

So what prevents Apple from buying HTC or Xiaomi or a similar Android phone manufacturer so they get a toehold in the low-end Android phone market? Then could flood the market with cheap phones, decimating Samsung.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #101 of 174
So you advocate snob appeal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Apple's flash was always backed up by substance. Beats flash is only flash. If it happens, what a mistake.

If you want headphones, but Jerry Harvey Audio.

Beats look good, but sound poor.
This can often be compared to high end audio marketing, where psychology is used to sell products that the vast majority of people can't identify a real difference in.
Quote:
(A proud owner of JH16's, and other various Westone, Ultimate Ears & Earsonics products)

Yep snob appeal.
post #102 of 174
Quote:

A lot of this (to me) is subliminal racism. If Beats were owned by Bono or Robert Plant I think a lot of people here would have zero problem with the alleged deal. But for heavens sake, not some rappers, not some guys from the city... not these guys, it's the downfall of Apple. Small minded people. I don't own anything from Beats, but there is no question Beats is a huge brand and whether you like Dr. Dre, Hip-Hop or the headphones themselves, their products are extremely successful and make a ton of money. Jimmy Iovine is a business and music legend and so is Dr. Dre. Don't be such typical Apple elitist and snobs, get off your high horses. Sell your stock and Apple products today, Tim and Apple won't miss you. Amazing.

They are clowns because they could not even properly announce the deal. Posting it on FB before it is announced? How stupid can you be

And the 'Oh My God' reactions tell me Apple severely overpaid

What a messed up deal and strategy for Apple. Baffling

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #103 of 174
Who is on a high horse here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please don't post uninformed nonsense. (Ok... redundancy...)

Tesla took a loan from the DoE, every cent of which was paid back a while ago.

As to 'government subsidies,' quite apart from the fact that $7,500 is a small amount in the scheme of things for a typical Tesla vehicle,
It is a terrible waste of money that goes to subsidize people that can afford the cars in the first place. Tesla has zero sales to middle class America because the car isn't useful to people that have more limited living arrangements. It frankly is a disgusting waste of money and serves as a way to rob for the poor to enrich the already wealthy.
Quote:
what about, say the free bandwidth that taxpayers provide for the TV you watch, the local monopoly that the government allows for the cable you subscribe to,
since when is cable or TV free?
Quote:
funding that led to the internet that led to companies like Amazon, Google, and Apple that you no doubt patronize, ¢40 on every medical equipment/hospital/pharmaceutical dollar that comes from Medicare/Medicaid despite the fact that you use (of will use) those services,
Notice the word all there? Mediocre does not exist to underwrite the rich! Big difference
Quote:
the deposit insurance subsidy that the banks get that protect your money, the defense dollars that the Boeings, GEs, UTCs, Lockheeds, Honeywells etc get that protect you...... I could go on.
What does ant of this have to do with taxing the middle class to support the rich. This is exactly what this program does.
Quote:
Get off your high horse. Or I dare you to live completely free from a single government dollar ion your daily life.

Wake up buddy because you don't know what you are talking about.
post #104 of 174
Quote:

Apple doesn't need to pay for style, they need to buy technology and IP that leapfrogs and/or cuts the hamstrings of their competitors. If this deal punches a hole in Samsung or Android, it might be worth it.

In the case of Samsung it does give them another vector of attack. I'm not sure why people mis this, but with the beats brand they can offer what amounts to a low end iPhone. Thus Samsung would be hit from above and below.

That is just one course of action and use for the beats brand. Apple could also get into hardware manufacturing that isn't strictly Apple focused, for example audio and AV gear.
post #105 of 174
Quote:

I'll report the piece that I added to my previous reply:

Deleted

Give it a rest bud as you simply don't know what you are talking about. The governments underwriting of Tesla has nothing in common with anything you described. In its simplest form it is nothing more than funneling tax payer money to the wealthy and frankly needs to stop as soon as possible.
post #106 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Give it a rest bud as you simply don't know what you are talking about. The governments underwriting of Tesla has nothing in common with anything you described. In its simplest form it is nothing more than funneling tax payer money to the wealthy and frankly needs to stop as soon as possible.

Did you forget your meds today?

Add: The trouble with folks like you, caught up in your class warfare rhetoric, is that you cherry pick the facts, ignoring the simple reality that it's not only Tesla that gets the $7,500 subsidy, but the lower-priced, more 'middle-class' Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt too.

Edited by anantksundaram - 5/9/14 at 11:23am
post #107 of 174
Wtf Tim
Is the jimmy manipulating apple? or is this apple truly seeing that much value in this crapy wanabe brand.
post #108 of 174
Quote:

In the case of Samsung it does give them another vector of attack. I'm not sure why people mis this, but with the beats brand they can offer what amounts to a low end iPhone. Thus Samsung would be hit from above and below.

That is just one course of action and use for the beats brand. Apple could also get into hardware manufacturing that isn't strictly Apple focused, for example audio and AV gear.

If Apple manufactures a Beats phone under the Beats brand (with no Apple branding), I could see a value to that.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #109 of 174
Quote:

If Apple manufactures a Beats phone under the Beats brand (with no Apple branding), I could see a value to that.

Cannibalizing potential iPhone sales?!

No way.

post #110 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So nothing. I’ve made no comment as to that.
You are just being dense. This is a company they bought not people. A company that frankly has many products that mesh well with Apple. Wake up!
Quote:
Is Apple lacking in style? No. Do they perform too well and need to perform worse? No.
They do need to perform better and frankly this will help with that.
Quote:
Why would they want Beats if the products are style over performance?
Actually it isn't completely about style. The hardware is tuned for a type of music in some cases and others are actually well rounded devices.
Quote:
Would trusting the executives that ousting Jobs was the right thing have been the right thing?
Even Jobs himself acknowledged that in the end it was a good thing for both him and the company.
Quote:
Oh, yes. This idea should therefore NEVER come into question…

I really don't think you have a clue about the industry they are buying into. Consider this Apple for a long time was considered low class in the audio world because the compressed iTunes files supposedly lost much of the "information" that makes good music so rewarding. The problem is that much of the market is built around snob appeal and often no noticeable difference in technical performance. Yet given this reality Apple, ITunes and the iPods succeeded. Now ask yourself why?

The why is pretty easy, most people aren't snobs. They don't have dedicated "listening rooms" set up in their houses with ten of thousands invested in audio hardware. Rather the common use of music is to listen to it in the back ground while doing something else. Apple effectively went after the general consumer with iTunes and iPods thus cornering a huge portion of the market. They did that by covering all genres. As it is they have a massive library that is unmatched by being inclusive of all of these different categories.

So when you get onboard here and rail against the association with Rap you just demonstrate that you don't have a clue as Apple has been associated with Rap for years. Further you bury yourself by seemingly implying that the beats hardware is only good for Rap. That isn't true no more than saying an iPod is only good for Reggae, classical or whatever.

People have preferences and tastes that often are not what appeals to us personally. There is nothing wrong with that. Consider professional studios for a minute, not every engineer is making use of the same headphones in these studios. So you have to ask yourself why, could it be taste, or maybe the physical make up of the individual listening. I won't even get into the difference in sound one can hear simply by shifting headphones, earpieces or whatever around on ones head. In the end Beats sells a device that works well for the people that buys them. If they didn't sales would be non existent.
post #111 of 174
Quote:

Again the world is not filled with snobs. Consumers don't care about quality as much as some because they don't use music in the same way. If you are working in the kitchen, garage or shop, the music is there for fill, it isn't there so you can experience the technical excellence of the artist. Hell if the average person sings along any idea of high quality goes out the window. Most people realize that they can't sing, matching the abilities of their favorites, but that doesn't stop them from singing. Again it comes back to a different use for music, where it is often used to relieve stress or boredom.

I just find it amazing that so many apply their own definitions of quality to justify the hatred for this deal. Often they just don't grasp that they are a tiny minority when it comes to users of music. In the end that is what this is all about, the users of the music.
post #112 of 174
Dre puffs the chronic, but someone at Apple is smoking crack to pay 3.2 billion for Beats.
post #113 of 174

Shouldn't they be drinking malt liquor?

post #114 of 174
Quote:

Cannibalizing potential iPhone sales?!

No way.

An Android phone, not an iOS phone. One that would serve the lower-end market that Apple will never want to touch otherwise.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #115 of 174
Nice post!
Quote:

Actually I don't recommend that anybody drink. If you do have to drink don't do so to the point of getting drunk.
Quote:

A lot of this (to me) is subliminal racism.
No it is blatant racism. Many people here are demonstrating that they either don't know what they are talking about or are complete racist. There isn't much room to maneuver here, the opinions expressed can only be the result of one or the other. Frankly I suspect about a 50/50 mix here, as some of the comments are just plain stupid.
Quote:
If Beats were owned by Bono or Robert Plant I think a lot of people here would have zero problem with the alleged deal. But for heavens sake, not some rappers, not some guys from the city... not these guys, it's the downfall of Apple. Small minded people. I don't own anything from Beats, but there is no question Beats is a huge brand and whether you like Dr. Dre, Hip-Hop or the headphones themselves, their products are extremely successful and make a ton of money.
It isn't just one product either!
Quote:
Jimmy Iovine is a business and music legend and so is Dr. Dre. Don't be such typical Apple elitist and snobs, get off your high horses. Sell your stock and Apple products today, Tim and Apple won't miss you. Amazing.

The flip side of this is that the audio industry has a very large segment of its market built around snob appeal in the first place. You see this in some of the posts where brand XYZ is what I use because it is the best. It is a mentality that is hard to deal with. Especially when people discount how headphones and earphones behave based on an individuals physical characteristics.

In the end I have to agree, Apple doesn't need you guys! Actually it is probably embarrassing for Apple to have such a large number of customers demonstrate this much ignorance or racism.
post #116 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

They are clowns because they could not even properly announce the deal. Posting it on FB before it is announced? How stupid can you be

And the 'Oh My God' reactions tell me Apple severely overpaid

What a messed up deal and strategy for Apple. Baffling

They did not say Apple bought them in the video.

Someone else leaked that.

post #117 of 174
Quote:

Apple represents quality. Their mantra has been quality over quantity and quality over sales. A second-rate headphone company does not represent quality.

Then explain iTunes, iPod and the compressed music. Apple has taken its share of arrows for years because of the poor audio quality of the iTunes library. That never stopped the main stream customers from coming though. The reality is if you want to make money you go after the mainstream market not the snob market.
post #118 of 174
Quote:

Again the world is not filled with snobs. Consumers don't care about quality as much as some because they don't use music in the same way. If you are working in the kitchen, garage or shop, the music is there for fill, it isn't there so you can experience the technical excellence of the artist. Hell if the average person sings along any idea of high quality goes out the window. Most people realize that they can't sing, matching the abilities of their favorites, but that doesn't stop them from singing. Again it comes back to a different use for music, where it is often used to relieve stress or boredom.

I just find it amazing that so many apply their own definitions of quality to justify the hatred for this deal. Often they just don't grasp that they are a tiny minority when it comes to users of music. In the end that is what this is all about, the users of the music.

It's not a matter of snobbishness that people cannot generally tell the difference between relatively low and high-quality audio.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #119 of 174
Quote:

Then explain iTunes, iPod and the compressed music. Apple has taken its share of arrows for years because of the poor audio quality of the iTunes library. That never stopped the main stream customers from coming though. The reality is if you want to make money you go after the mainstream market not the snob market.

Again, you conflate "quality" with snobbishness, which is a logic failure.

If it helps, think of the word "quality" being the same as "aspirational", which is why Apple won't sell a cheap-ass plastic phone.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #120 of 174
Quote:

And why would that be? Contrary to popular opinion Beats does have some good headphones. Are they the best? Well that is an interesting question isn't it. In the end it comes down to what sounds right for the individual owner.

In any event you reinforce my perspective that audiophiles are indeed part of the snob audio equipment culture. I've followed the industry for a long time, especially some of the magazines associated with the market and frankly it got to the point that I just used the articles as a source of humor and something to laugh at. It is an industry where reviewers dream up differences in amplifiers costing thousands sometimes tens of thousands of dollars that nobody can really hear.

Now admittedly headphones do have rather significant differences but the thing people mis is that every one of these headphones sound different on a different head. Buying a headphone based on a review is foolhardy to say the least. Beyond that how you wear headphones can dramatically impact the quality of the sound. If there was a perfect headphone for all possible uses, every professional out there would be using the same model of headphones. They don't of course because we all have preferences, we all have different ears and different heads.

Turn it around and look at the audio world from the other end. If one perfect microphone existed we wouldn't have the several 100 on the market to choose from at this moment in time. It would be a mistake to consider one microphone perfect for every need just as it is a mistake to assume that one headphone is superior to every other out there.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Dr. Dre, Tyrese share Heineken-fueled celebration of Apple's alleged Beats acquisition