or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's rumored Beats buyout baffles pundits & analysts alike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's rumored Beats buyout baffles pundits & analysts alike - Page 4

post #121 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoz View Post

This deal seems weird to me. Buy Bose if you want good headphones.

Why, Tim?

Bose being even more marketing led than Beats. Good headphones my ass.
post #122 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

It would be good if you knew it all about accounting so you can understand the financial difference between buying a company and buying back stock.   

It would be good if you knew how to read a comment.
post #123 of 177
Apples New mantra if deal goes through!

"We will sell you mediocracy but make you feel you have the best.
This is the new Apple !? An illusion of the best ! And we are proud of it !

.
Iovine told us that they are definitely worth it.. So we believe him ... He is such charming guy !

... And hey whats 3.2 billion.. We have a lot more of where that came from!

Sincerely Yours
The new Apple ! "

If the deal proves to be true and goes through !
post #124 of 177
Okay. Purchase for $3.2 Million is okay; billion idiotic. A buy in the billions, means Apple would no longer by worth $10/share before the split, not because it will kill Apple, but because it would be obvious that Apple would be controlled by imbeciles.
post #125 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

Anyone else having flashbacks to when AI members were in a tizzy because Apple would never make a gold colored iPhone?

 

No.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #126 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How many people remember Jobs' statement that he had made Jony Ive basically 'untouchable' at Apple? Surely I am not the only one who has noticed that all of the recent hires and action at Apple have to do with fashion and design, outside of and beyond the control of Jony and under the control of Tim? If I was a betting person, I'd see this as Tim's way around the most powerful person at Apple, who would be Jony. Call me paranoid, but internal disagreements and power struggles are really nothing new inside large organizations and my gut tells me money is being used to sidestep Apple's internal design team. Now quick, someone call me crazy and tell me I'm wrong.

You're paranoid.

post #127 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

... because Apple's brand needs rescuing.

Very funny. For people who don't get it, Apple is the number one brand in the world, by every survey done in the last few years: most valuable, most respected, most profitable.


Edited by elroth - 5/9/14 at 1:28pm
post #128 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post
 

 

He must have, I still have the Apple Hi Fi, and it still works and sounds great I still can't get rid it because it won't die, use the people in house who designed the (Apple Hi Fi) to built headphones for 100 million dollars.

It sounds "great"? Only if you're into lower end hi-fi, then it's pretty average. It probably does sound better than Beats headphones, though, with all the unnatural thumping bass.

 

One thing Apple has never been into is really good sound. When Steve Jobs said iTunes tracks sounded as good as CDs, and when he said the newer iPod earbuds were audiophile quality, I lost hope of Apple ever trying to make products with really good sound, or even understanding what good sound is. If they really wanted good sound, they might have invested in Neil Young's Pono project, not Beats headphones.

post #129 of 177
"Rapper Lil Wayne wearing $1M custom (diamond encrusted, hyper-bling) Beats headphones." This is absolutely ridiculous [it's also stupid]. Think of how much good Lil' Wayne [or Dr. Dre, etc.] *could have done* for the poor, homeless and starving people in this country with that $1M. But then again, perhaps that kind of symbolism is what Rap/Hip-Hop is all about...
Edited by esstek - 5/9/14 at 1:48pm
post #130 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Where's the "s/"?

 

There are some statements that don't require an /s tag. They are so ludicrous that even if the person is serious it is still ridiculous.

Depends on the person. In your case - no.

“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #131 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

All the armchair quarterbacks are out in force to comment on this RUMOR. Analysts are falling all over themselves to explain, condemn, tout, or reverse engineer the RUMOR. When it turns out to be just a RUMOR then we’ll see the same goon squad writing screeds as to why the RUMORED deal fell through, how Apple once again screwed something up and is doomed.

 

Does that about sum it up as to what’s going on here? Oh, and this thread is quite humorous in its pontificating bloviation. 

 

Because it is *an* UTTER WASTE OF RESOURCES.

“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #132 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

Anyone else having flashbacks to when AI members were in a tizzy because Apple would never make a gold colored iPhone?  And then Apple did make a gold colored iPhone and it became the best selling phone in the lineup?

I see you were away for four days - thank you, Apple Insider.

“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #133 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post
 

 

He must have, I still have the Apple Hi Fi, and it still works and sounds great I still can't get rid it because it won't die, use the people in house who designed the (Apple Hi Fi) to built headphones for 100 million dollars.

It sounds "great"? Only if you're into lower end hi-fi, then it's pretty average. It probably does sound better than Beats headphones, though, with all the unnatural thumping bass.

 

One thing Apple has never been into is really good sound. When Steve Jobs said iTunes tracks sounded as good as CDs, and when he said the newer iPod earbuds were audiophile quality, I lost hope of Apple ever trying to make products with really good sound, or even understanding what good sound is. If they really wanted good sound, they might have invested in Neil Young's Pono project, not Beats headphones.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha!!!....hahahahaha!!.....hahaha!...haha...ha

 

Thanks for the laugh.

“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #134 of 177
Completely missed in the discussions- biometrics and the ear as opposed to biometrics and the wrist! I think Apple is very slick and forward thinking. Watch out!
post #135 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSmoke View Post

Completely missed in the discussions- biometrics and the ear as opposed to biometrics and the wrist! I think Apple is very slick and forward thinking. Watch out!

 

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #136 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Cook can be criticised as much as any other manager. He's already hired the guy from Penney. The people here who criticised that move, mostly British, did in fact know more about that company than the leader of a $50B company. Cook != Jobs. Cook was a great COO. May not be a great CEO.


Jobs hired Eric Schmidt to the Apple BoD - he made huge hiring mistakes also.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenoz View Post

This deal seems weird to me. Buy Bose if you want good headphones.

Why, Tim?

Bose is crap, buy Seinheiser or Grado.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #137 of 177

Beats headphones are amongst a handful of the very worst sounding. Apple will get slated if they sell these rubbish headphones. First, Apple use poorer quality D-A chips in their flagship iPod Classics, now they expect us to take the acquisition of the company behind the worst headphones as a good move for music reproduction.

 

Jonathan Ive, you visited my company in London back in the 80's when you were just starting out. Please, please don't fall for the hype surrounding these awful headphones.

post #138 of 177

Sound quality is a lot easier to improve than market share or branding is.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #139 of 177

Apple has lost considerable value under Cook and I've been critical of him for that. But I think this may be a corporate magic trick, a case of brilliant misdirection. I can't believe Apple will actually purchase Beats for $3.2B. It has to be total BS or there's an aspect to the story nobody publicly knows. It's a square peg in a round hole, simply doesn't fit!

post #140 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post
 

Apple has lost considerable value under Cook and I've been critical of him for that. But I think this may be a corporate magic trick, a case of brilliant misdirection. I can't believe Apple will actually purchase Beats for $3.2B. It has to be total BS or there's an aspect to the story nobody publicly knows. It's a square peg in a round hole, simply doesn't fit!

 

Why would Dr. Dre and his actor buddy post that video that was subsequently removed? I think something happened.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #141 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSmoke View Post

Completely missed in the discussions- biometrics and the ear as opposed to biometrics and the wrist! I think Apple is very slick and forward thinking. Watch out!

Several weeks ago, I suggested that the ear was possibly key to Apple's wearables, not the iWatch.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #142 of 177
The negative press on Apple is incredible! They were criticized for having so much cash and not returning it back to investors. Then they were punished for losing marketshare due to expensive phones. Next they are ridiculed for releasing cheap phones made of plastic. Then there was an uproar on financial engineering to boost stock price. I think shortly thereafter they were criticized for not taking chances and making big purchases like Facebook and google. So today there is an uproar because they spent 3 weeks worth of earnings to buy beats headphones. It's funny to hear people say that apple has tarnished their brand by associating with beats when they have been selling the beats headphones online and in their stores for a while now. They have 160 billion and will make another 10 this quarter. Why are people outraged over this?? We have seen celebrities, athletes, musicians showcase those headphones for years and I have never heard the media attack the brand until Apple got involved. I don't know who they have crossed but this company is public enemy number one!
post #143 of 177

Some people just can't stand success if they aren't involved. Let them be pissed. It makes laughing at them all the more fun.

post #144 of 177

This makes perfect sense to me.

I was reading a report online recently that said that Beats started to sell well when a majority of the people that bought iPods threw away Apple's included $1 earphones and bought Beats products. Dr. Dre said he was unhappy because he tried to create great hip hop, but Apple's headphones destroyed the experience he was trying to pass on to his fans. So he started Beats, and Beats thanks Apple for those crap earphones, which is what helped to boost the Beats brand originally. Now people aren't only using Beats products with iPods, but also with iPhones. And we know how big a market that is.
 

I would guess that Apple's marketing space overlaps about 80% of Beats marketing space, but a huge majority of Beats users buy music through iTunes.

Music audiophiles have always complained about digitally compressed music, and they want "clear" sound from their headphones, which they get with Koss, AKG, Audio-Technica etc. They want audiophile recordings, and expensive branded gear. This is why all the analysts fail to understand what is going down with this deal, because most of them live in this world. They don't want to hear music with bass unless it's coming from a cello, double bass, or a saxophone.

Youngsters, many who have probably never heard music that wasn't compressed or wasn't created with Autotune, don't know that music can sound better than that, and they certainly don't want "clear" music. They buy most of the music that is sold today, and they want a heavy bass beat, and they get that by buying music with iTunes, and listening through Beats products. For this crowd, Apple and Beats are like peanut butter and jam. Each of these is good by itself, but they go together naturally, and create a completely different taste, a taste that many can't live without. That is a lifestyle marketer's dream, and both these companies are experts when it comes to this kind of marketing.

Apple user since 1984
Reply
Apple user since 1984
Reply
post #145 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It was a joke about the printers... so I guess I was being sarcastic. I'm just not sure if it's for the same reason attributed by you.

I took it as sarcasm, because back in the day, the Apple LW's were some great stable printers. It took quite a long time after Apple stopped producing them to find one on the market that was just as reliable and printed as well.

So what's your reason?
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #146 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post

Beats was in pursuit of spreading 24/96 audio as the new standard, something Apple was recently rumored as doing. It does seem like a lot of $$ to get a competitor out of that space though.

When Bob Lefsetz rumored it back on April 1st I figured it was an April Fool's joke...maybe not?

It does seem like a lot of money to pay for a Brand. If it's a licensing thing, maybe there's more to it.

As for 24/96 or 24/192, there is some significance from a mixing point of view, but like the upgrade from VHS (200 lines) to SVHS (400 lines) to SD (480i) to HD (720p) and beyond people don't know something is better until they experience it. If we paid as much attention to audio as we did to video, we would have a "HD" version of earbuds by now.

Most headphones below 30$ are ultra-cheap 20hz to 20,000hz frequency response, which are garbage. The best earbuds you can get currently 8hz to 24,000hz and cost 30$ or more. But they're still connected with analog connectors. Even Expensive USB connected headphones require software in the USB device (eg laptop) to enable anything beyond stereo.

Like, what is really needed is to standardize on mini-Toslink for the data connection and then power the headphones from the analog signal.
post #147 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgb113 View Post

Beats was in pursuit of spreading 24/96 audio as the new standard, something Apple was recently rumored as doing. It does seem like a lot of $$ to get a competitor out of that space though.

When Bob Lefsetz rumored it back on April 1st I figured it was an April Fool's joke...maybe not?

It does seem like a lot of money to pay for a Brand. If it's a licensing thing, maybe there's more to it.

As for 24/96 or 24/192, there is some significance from a mixing point of view, but like the upgrade from VHS (200 lines) to SVHS (400 lines) to SD (480i) to HD (720p) and beyond people don't know something is better until they experience it. If we paid as much attention to audio as we did to video, we would have a "HD" version of earbuds by now.

Most headphones below 30$ are ultra-cheap 20hz to 20,000hz frequency response, which are garbage. The best earbuds you can get currently 8hz to 24,000hz and cost 30$ or more. But they're still connected with analog connectors. Even Expensive USB connected headphones require software in the USB device (eg laptop) to enable anything beyond stereo.

Like, what is really needed is to standardize on mini-Toslink for the data connection and then power the headphones from the analog signal.

I've watched HD. SD is fine for me—it's generally cheaper on iTunes. If it's a good film, it won't make any difference.

Most people are happy with their headphones, and would notice little or no difference with more expensive ones.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #148 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

John Gruber doesn't know jack sheet.  Same guy who said Samdung was going to destroy Apple 12 months ago.

 

 

you must be mistaken -- Gruber has never, ever said that Samsung would destroy Apple. he's apple's biggest support.

 

also, he's updated his stance on this deal:

Quote:

If anything, as Micah Singleton argues at The Daily Dot, Beats’s brand stature among black Americans might help explain why this deal makes sense for Apple: 73 percent of black smartphone owners in the U.S. are on Android. Beats has brand appeal that Apple does not.

 

The other thing Beats has that Apple wants: its relationships in the entertainment industry. $3.2 billion? I still don’t know about that. But I’m no longer confused about what Beats has that Apple would want.

post #149 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post


I took it as sarcasm, because back in the day, the Apple LW's were some great stable printers. It took quite a long time after Apple stopped producing them to find one on the market that was just as reliable and printed as well.

So what's your reason?

 

Apple used to make some damn good printers but near the end, around 98/99 Apple's laser printers were just not cutting it. Totally not up to the rest of the market. I have always pictured Jobs touring and coming across this laser printer factory and asking, "We still make laser printers?"... and the next day they were gone.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #150 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

John Gruber doesn't know jack sheet.  Same guy who said Samdung was going to destroy Apple 12 months ago.

Apple can easily pay for the deal in Stock.  They have $45B of it lying around.

When did JOHN GRUBER ever say something like that!?!? I think you're thinking of the wrong person......
post #151 of 177
I think that they are in talks, but the promotion/pr savvy Mr Iovine decided to do a little extracurricular negotiation via the media.
post #152 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post
 

Apple has lost considerable value under Cook 


You need to go fact check this - Apple stock was $326 when Cook took over as CEO.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #153 of 177

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #154 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post


It does seem like a lot of money to pay for a Brand. If it's a licensing thing, maybe there's more to it.

As for 24/96 or 24/192, there is some significance from a mixing point of view, but like the upgrade from VHS (200 lines) to SVHS (400 lines) to SD (480i) to HD (720p) and beyond people don't know something is better until they experience it. If we paid as much attention to audio as we did to video, we would have a "HD" version of earbuds by now.

Most headphones below 30$ are ultra-cheap 20hz to 20,000hz frequency response, which are garbage. The best earbuds you can get currently 8hz to 24,000hz and cost 30$ or more. But they're still connected with analog connectors. Even Expensive USB connected headphones require software in the USB device (eg laptop) to enable anything beyond stereo.

Like, what is really needed is to standardize on mini-Toslink for the data connection and then power the headphones from the analog signal.

not compared to Facebook overpaying for whatsapp, that purchase must be classed as the worst purchase ever made by that zuckerberg megalomaniac. sugar mountain hmmm i wonder if he does that drug, might explain a thing or two

 

this is peanuts in comparison

post #155 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post
 

not compared to Facebook overpaying for whatsapp, that purchase must be classed as the worst purchase ever made by that zuckerberg megalomaniac. sugar mountain hmmm i wonder if he does that drug, might explain a thing or two

 

this is peanuts in comparison


It really is apples to oranges.  Facebook paid a lot, but they paid in overpriced Facebook stock so maybe it balances out.   Apple will be paying cash for a business that will probably pay for itself in just a few years via earnings.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #156 of 177

No matter what really happens at this point, one has to admit Apple just got hundreds of millions of dollars worth of free press coverage.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #157 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumormill View Post

The negative press on Apple is incredible! They were criticized for having so much cash and not returning it back to investors. Then they were punished for losing marketshare due to expensive phones. Next they are ridiculed for releasing cheap phones made of plastic. Then there was an uproar on financial engineering to boost stock price. I think shortly thereafter they were criticized for not taking chances and making big purchases like Facebook and google. So today there is an uproar because they spent 3 weeks worth of earnings to buy beats headphones. It's funny to hear people say that apple has tarnished their brand by associating with beats when they have been selling the beats headphones online and in their stores for a while now. They have 160 billion and will make another 10 this quarter. Why are people outraged over this?? We have seen celebrities, athletes, musicians showcase those headphones for years and I have never heard the media attack the brand until Apple got involved. I don't know who they have crossed but this company is public enemy number one!

 

Half of Beats might be the wrong kind of dark (the Fast and the Furious type), all the boards are lit up across the internet Tim Cook can't get the benefit of the doubt even though he is one of the best CEO's in the world right now.

post #158 of 177

Just downloaded the MOG and Beats software has anyone used it? Also using Logic, Soundtrack or Vox the original software the playback quality on a Mac was is far beyond the iTunes playback, in part because of virtual sound effects available, with all the new audiophiles coming out of the woodwork because of Beats, why isn't anyone interested about the lack of virtual sound effects/instruments in iTunes playback. This lack of sound quality seems to be more critical when using iTunes at the desktop.

post #159 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Just downloaded the MOG and Beats software has anyone used it? Also using Logic, Soundtrack or Vox the original software the playback quality on a Mac was is far beyond the iTunes playback, in part because of virtual sound effects available, with all the new audiophiles coming out of the woodwork because of Beats, why isn't anyone interested about the lack of virtual sound effects/instruments in iTunes playback. This lack of sound quality seems to be more critical when using iTunes at the desktop.

Virtual sound effects? What does this mean?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #160 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


Virtual sound effects? What does this mean?

 

Audio software like Reason, Logic Pro, MOTU and Vox (beta version), come with sound compressors, EQ, reverb, THX, Dolby surround sound (ie..concert hall), and various other sound manipulators which can be saved and applied any audio sound. Virtual sound effects replace in software what was once a hardware unit in a rack in a sound studio.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's rumored Beats buyout baffles pundits & analysts alike