or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Berkeley Apple Store glass entrance is latest to be smashed by car [u]

Berkeley Apple Store glass entrance is latest to be smashed by car [u]

post #1 of 69
Continuing a recent trend of ramming vehicles through the all-glass front facades of Apple retail outlets, an unknown person drove their car into the 4th Street Apple Store in Berkeley, Calif. early Friday morning, and AppleInsider was sent exclusive pictures of the aftermath.

Update: The crash now appears to have been part of a burglary, rather than a simple accident. Photos sent in by reader Benjamin do not seem to show any missing devices on the store's display tables, but Berkeleyside notes that "several items" were indeed stolen.

The vehicle appeared to aim directly at the store's front doors, damaging both them and the metal security gate. The windows both above and on either side of the doors survived the impact.

Vehicular smash-and-grabs have become increasingly common at Apple stores around the world thanks to the high resale value of the merchandise on display and Apple's unwillingness to mar the stores' aesthetic with hefty security features. Apple's Kurf?rstendamm store in Berlin fell victim to such a crime last December, while the Lincoln Park outlet in Chicago and the Temecula, Calif. location have also seen similar vehicular violence.

Security gates have become more common in Apple Stores which are exposed to the street. The Temecula robbery (depicted in the video embedded above) was nearly foiled after the security gate fell down behind the thieves, effectively trapping them in the store.
post #2 of 69
Another graduate of the Bill Gates driving school I see...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #3 of 69
Apple really needs pylons in front of all outdoor stores.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sucks, but probably true. Maybe something with a decent looking design.

I hate thieves.

post #5 of 69
1) Is that @Benjamin Frost or just someone else named Benjamin?

2) I wonder if Apple could get large pieces of bullet resistance glass made for their windows. Meaning, two pieces of glass sandwiched between a sheet of polycarbonate so it would be more difficult to smash the glass. Or do that simply make it so a very large, heavy piece of material is more likely fly off the minimal hinges keeping it in place thereby still allowing thieves to enter?

Quote:

Could they just use a sledge hammer or something else to smash the glass? A car does afford them some security from the falling glass but it's not the only solution.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 69

What’s up with not having retractable… what do they call ‘em? Not balustrades…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #7 of 69
If that's the plan of attack, what's the point of a metal security gate behind the glass? It just mars the appearance of the store when closed.

An active security system is needed. How about claymores triggered by radar when it senses a large metal object approaching the window at speed? Or popup barriers like the ones in Watchdogs?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #8 of 69
Quote:

Decorative poles at the street edge of the curb would solve this without taking away from the storefront aesthetic.

Heck, do something uniquely Apple… make them look like iPod earphones coming up out of the curb.

post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Another graduate of the Bill Gates driving school I see...
/
/
/

Bill and Steve buried the hatchet long ago, so probably not. 1smile.gif

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 69
Quote:

Or a sign that says: DRIVE SAFELY

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 69
one way spikes?
post #12 of 69
Quote:

Or bone cutting laser beams at car driver neck height built in to the windows.

Actually a nice cross hatch pattern of beams would be better to ensure the car and occupants come through in perfect rectangular tubes. Of course Apple would need a disposal system just inside the windows that was artistic, functional and in keeping with the overall design of the store. The replacement window could be lowered immediately from a portcullis type design above.
Edited by digitalclips - 5/9/14 at 7:57am
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #13 of 69
I wonder what the cost in damages this has cost Apple each year. I wonder if hiring a security guard to be available at these stores with street side access would a good enough deterrent.

There are 424 Apple Stores and the average salary for a security guard is $22k per year (all other figures will be estimates). Let's say half are in malls or otherwise protected from this sort of attack. This leaves 212 vulnerable stores. Now you need 7 day a week coverage so you need at least two guys for a week so you can have one guy there per night for a 10 to 6am shift (even though this leaves the space unprotected during breaks). That's 70 hours per week which using an $11 per hour wage which I doubled for cost I get $1,540 per store. For 212 stores that's $326,480 per year at an extremely conservative estimate which I think is unreasonable for an average pay, because it leaves a store vulnerable every night, and I believe that much money could probably go to designing a better system to deter thieves.

post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlack View Post

one way spikes?

That would only prevent the car being used again after the heist.

post #15 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder what the cost in damages this has cost Apple each year. I wonder if hiring a security guard to be available at these stores with street side access would a good enough deterrent.

There are 424 Apple Stores and the average salary for a security guard is $22k per year (all other figures will be estimates). Let's say half are in malls or otherwise protected from this sort of attack. This leaves 212 vulnerable stores. Now you need 7 day a week coverage so you need at least two guys for a week so you can have one guy there per night for a 10 to 6am shift (even though this leaves the space unprotected during breaks). That's 70 hours per week which using an $11 per hour wage which I doubled for cost I get $1,540 per store. For 212 stores that's $326,480 per year at an extremely conservative estimate which I think is unreasonable for an average pay, because it leaves a store vulnerable every night, and I believe that much money could probably go to designing a better system to deter thieves.

Meanwhile I assume all those stolen products are busy transmitting GPS coordinates and screaming come and rescue me? I use Orbicule (http://www.orbicule.com) on all my equipment in addition to Apple's built in systems.
post #16 of 69
Now we know who has the best gadgets.😁
post #17 of 69
Pretty stupid.

I don't know about u guys, but I'm not really built for prison.
post #18 of 69
I'm sure they can come up with something that doesn't ruin the feel. If they're pulling down a security shutter at night, they could also have retractable pylons that looked like shiny mac pros or something
post #19 of 69
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Or a sign that says: DRIVE SAFELY

“Crash Different” with an arrow pointing to the nearest Best Buy or Microsoft Store.

post #20 of 69
Quote:

1) Is that @Benjamin Frost or just someone else named Benjamin?

That dude is in the UK, so I don't think that it's him.

post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That would work. Pop-up bollards.  (I had to search -- couldn't remember the term either). Maybe have them be an extruded apple logo to stamp the bottom of the car really well too.

post #22 of 69

Why not just use glass that doesn't break?

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #23 of 69
As for these robberies, maybe Apple should implement a system that releases knockout gas when the windows are broken, rendering the thieves (and most likely Android users, as some past Apple thieves have been), unconscious, so that they can be picked up by the cops.
post #24 of 69
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

Decorative poles at the street edge of the curb would solve this without taking away from the storefront aesthetic.

Heck, do something uniquely Apple… make them look like iPod earphones coming up out of the curb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlack View Post

one way spikes?

Retractable bollards.

post #25 of 69
They should use a deterrent approach: Upon closing they would lower a scrim over the storefront that makes it look like a Microsoft store.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

An active security system is needed. How about claymores triggered by radar when it senses a large metal object approaching the window at speed? Or popup barriers like the ones in Watchdogs?

Considering how often people want to sue Apple, it would probably be cheaper to just replace the glass.

post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Retractable bollards.

Those are effective!  

But I think the prettier solution would be a moat with an iDrawbridge.

post #28 of 69
Apple should build a moat and fill it with sharks outfitted with lasers.

Apple should put up posts spaced 3-4 feet.
post #29 of 69
Quote:

Retractable bollards.

Yeah they have used those in Europe for decades.  Not sure why we don't use them more in USA since we are allegedly so security conscious these days.  Put them up at night, take them down in the morning.

post #30 of 69
Quote:

May be some chairs made of steel?

post #31 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The thieves will arrive with rebreathers.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #32 of 69
How about better security cameras so that the license plates could actually be read so the thieves could be tracked down?

Or bricking all the machines that have been stolen the first time they attempt a software update, a sync or go to an Apple website?
post #33 of 69
I think covering the Apple logo with a "Microsoft Store" sign at night would be a sufficient deterrent.

(Cue the parade of Asus and Lenovo tablet pictures from the Peter Bright aliases)

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #34 of 69
They should have some bolerroids retract when from weight sensors sense a car. And bull it proof glass. Big that net got them well. Haha they panicked a lot in that video.
Edited by GeorgeiP5 - 5/9/14 at 9:22am
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Yeah they have used those in Europe for decades.  Not sure why we don't use them more in USA since we are allegedly so security conscious these days.  Put them up at night, take them down in the morning.

Seems the obvious solution doesn't it? Although I do like my laser them to bits idea too. 1biggrin.gif
post #36 of 69
Quote:

A lonely security guard might stop someone from using a hammer or tool to break into a store, but it probably wouldn't stop anyone from smashing their car through the gates, as in the video and it would probably put the guard in great danger, if not from the car, from any weapons these idiots might be carrying.   

Best way to stop these kinds of attacks, as per my other post, is to brick the stolen devices and go all out to catch the thieves and publicize all.   Kill the market for the stolen devices and demonstrate that you're gonna' get caught anyway and these thefts will stop.    

And there's several other potential solutions:

- although it would be a big pain:   like most jewelry stores, lock up all the devices in a vault at night.   

or

- for the store environments, create special versions of the devices that need some signal from Apple's internal networks to run.   Take them out of the store and they won't work.    Or, do it with hardware - the way coded car radios used to work after a plague of car radio thefts.  Remove them from the special dock that's used in the stores and they don't work.  

post #37 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Those are effective!  

But I think the prettier solution would be a moat with an iDrawbridge.

Molten lead ...
post #38 of 69
I work half a block down on the same street. I'll have to investigate on my way to work in only 15 mins.
post #39 of 69

Now we know why Apple is investing in sapphire production.

post #40 of 69
Quote:

Retractable bollards.

No, does not comply with Apple store image.  Why not retractable steel chairs?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Berkeley Apple Store glass entrance is latest to be smashed by car [u]