or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Berkeley Apple Store glass entrance is latest to be smashed by car [u]

Berkeley Apple Store glass entrance is latest to be smashed by car [u] - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Molten lead ...

Lead? Shame on you.

Molten aluminum, please. More environmentally friendly and aesthetically pleasing. 1smile.gif
post #42 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

How about better security cameras so that the license plates could actually be read so the thieves could be tracked down?

That BMW was not being driven by its owner.

post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Continuing a recent trend of ramming vehicles through the all-glass front facades of Apple retail outlets,

how is this an "exclusive"? it's all over the local news websites (you know, websites that actually publish news).

"recent trend"? how so? this has been going on for years. can you enumerate what it is that makes this a "recent trend"? i thought not. more crack reporting from the regurgitators at appleinsider.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #44 of 69
There's black curtains draped across the entire storefront, channel 5 news is in the middle of filming their report and a bunch of apple geniuses are out on the sidewalk directing people away from the general area and deflecting any serious questions. The funny thing is that the store looks like it's gearing up for a super big product unveil.
post #45 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Retractable bollards.

Relatively expensive: Installing. Maintaining.

Simplest: Bollards. Perhaps they could be designed for sitting on.

Better yet, a reinforced concrete bench(es). Even fitted with (time-limited) Charging Outlets.

Best yet: Introduce major products daily. Nothing like People Power. Although the carnage might be upsetting to some. :p 

post #46 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What’s up with not having retractable… what do they call ‘em? Not balustrades…

Exactly. They could have some in the ground that only come up when they close the store at night. That would give Apple the clear look during the day and security at night. 

post #47 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Retractable bollards.

Relatively expensive: Installing. Maintaining.

Simplest: Bollards. Perhaps they could be designed for sitting on.

Better yet, a reinforced concrete bench(es). Even fitted with (time-limited) Charging Outlets.

Best yet: Introduce major products daily. Nothing like People Power. Although the carnage might be upsetting to some. :p 

If you are the situation like a gate that they need to open and close on a constant basis, they are probably much harder to maintain. Having them down all day and come up at night is a very low usage scenario for them. Also, Apple spends a ton of money on their store fronts. Protecting them and the stores is worth some extra cost. Also if one fails to go up or down, it isn't critical as long as it doesn't block a door or something. I really think they should go this route. 

post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Why not just use glass that doesn't break?

Looks like the car blew the doors off their hinges. The glass breaking was secondary. Probably why they aimed for the doors: hit them at the center at speed....

post #49 of 69
Retractable pylons for sure. To be deployed after closing.
post #50 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

Retractable pylons for sure. To be deployed after closing.

Couldn't they still break in with a sledge hammer? Where would these retractable stanchions be placed since I'm not sure Apple can destroy the sidewalks outside all their stores in order to install these underground. I see a lot of engineering issues and red tape involved.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #51 of 69
The definition of irony: Using $40,000 worth of BMW to steal $8000 worth of gadgets.

I hear they smashed a $1,000,000 helicopter landing in the front yard of the guy who they stole the BMW from...
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #52 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

If you are the situation like a gate that they need to open and close on a constant basis, they are probably much harder to maintain. Having them down all day and come up at night is a very low usage scenario for them. Also, Apple spends a ton of money on their store fronts. Protecting them and the stores is worth some extra cost. Also if one fails to go up or down, it isn't critical as long as it doesn't block a door or something. I really think they should go this route. 

At roughly $500 apiece, costs may not appear significant. But needing about half a dozen per store, the cost of construction, maintenance, and the liability insurance, let alone getting local approval adds up pretty quickly.

Then there are the affects of environmental conditions. They are not highly recommended in areas affected by extreme weather conditions, particularly in rainy, freezing northern or tropical climates, where rain, snow, ice, and even ocean mist can play havoc, not only to the stainless steel posts, but the mechanisms needed to operate them. 

I can imagine that installing them on a storefront sidewalk, particularly with the congestion that an Apple store brings, could cause more havoc and thus liabilities than a standard light post.

I would suggest that a solid concrete park bench would be a more attractive alternative. And if J Ives had a say in the design, I might even want to get one for the front of my place.

P.S. Perhaps a compromise. 

A single retractable bollard installed right INSIDE the front door would probably suffice. Better yet, reset the glass door so that the bollard can still be installed IN the store and NOT in the public sidewalk in front of the store. Attempting to drive a vehicle thru the front door would be severely jolting. Effect of weather and maintenance are significantly reduced and the liabilities would be equally affected.

Of course this does not stop those who take the sledge hammer approach. But being all glass, and the limiting number of people that are capable of 'tossing a hammer' far enough away to heed the effects of the crashing shards, should be enough of a discouragement. Especially on camera.

Edited by Onhka - 5/9/14 at 12:11pm
post #53 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder what the cost in damages this has cost Apple each year. I wonder if hiring a security guard to be available at these stores with street side access would a good enough deterrent.

There are 424 Apple Stores and the average salary for a security guard is $22k per year (all other figures will be estimates). Let's say half are in malls or otherwise protected from this sort of attack. This leaves 212 vulnerable stores. Now you need 7 day a week coverage so you need at least two guys for a week so you can have one guy there per night for a 10 to 6am shift (even though this leaves the space unprotected during breaks). That's 70 hours per week which using an $11 per hour wage which I doubled for cost I get $1,540 per store. For 212 stores that's $326,480 per year at an extremely conservative estimate which I think is unreasonable for an average pay, because it leaves a store vulnerable every night, and I believe that much money could probably go to designing a better system to deter thieves.

Meanwhile I assume all those stolen products are busy transmitting GPS coordinates and screaming come and rescue me? I use Orbicule (http://www.orbicule.com) on all my equipment in addition to Apple's built in systems.

yes, given that you cannot access iAnything without giving up your device serial number and location, the next loud crash you hear will be the SWAT team breaking down the bedroom door of some unfortunate individual who bought an iPad mini retina and MacBook Air on craigslist for a 'really good price"

post #54 of 69
Something like this maybe?

http://www.cyclehoop.com/product/public-bike-pump/public-bike-pump/

Maybe also put bicycle racks outside that double up as pylons.
post #55 of 69
We have retractable bollards in some places and they work fine. Some are even out on the port so they handle fairly extreme weather conditions well, if installed properly (think damp, salty and high traffic).
If Apple use the polished steel look, they would fit in fine with the Apple aesthetic.

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

post #56 of 69

Love to see a picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

We have retractable bollards in some places and they work fine. Some are even out on the port so they handle fairly extreme weather conditions well, if installed properly (think damp, salty and high traffic).
If Apple use the polished steel look, they would fit in fine with the Apple aesthetic.

Love to see a picture

post #57 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple really needs pylons in front of all outdoor stores.

"You must construct additional pylons..."

post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Sucks, but probably true. Maybe something with a decent looking design.

I hate thieves.

Quote:

Apple shouldn't have to do any of this. People are insane! Go get a job instead of stealing things you bums!
post #59 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Love to see a picture

Love to see a picture
I wasn't planning on going to the waterfront for a while, but I will see what I can do. :-)

post #60 of 69
There was a similar incident at a Microsoft store, where they had about 30 Microsoft Surfaces on display.

When the cops arrived and found the windows broken out, they looked in and found 60 Microsoft Surfaces.
post #61 of 69
Originally Posted by longterm View Post
When the cops arrived and found the windows broken out, they looked in and found 60 Microsoft Surfaces.

As well as money equivalent to the amount needed to repair the glass. :lol:

post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

No, does not comply with Apple store image.

A Walled Garden then?

post #63 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Couldn't they still break in with a sledge hammer? Where would these retractable stanchions be placed since I'm not sure Apple can destroy the sidewalks outside all their stores in order to install these underground. I see a lot of engineering issues and red tape involved.

There is a metal security gate in that picture. i.e. To stop anyone who might want to throw a heavy rock / use a sledge hammer. Hence the reason cars are being used; to break though that security gate.

Which is why pylons / bollards (retractable or not) are being suggested to stop the cars.

post #64 of 69
Quote:

There should be some kind of building-code bylaw to not have all-glass facades at ground-level. For example http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/374886/stolen-jeep-used-as-ram-in-metrotown-jewelry-store-robberies/, this mall also has an Apple store, but the store is on the upper level, so no smash-and-grab is possible. Yet the Jewelry stores on the lower level? They just rebuilt the damaged store AND then put the concrete pylons at the mall entrances that didn't previously have them.

Honestly it seems illogical to have all-glass anything. Plenty of condo and office buildings are all-glass exteriors, but they are incredibly energy-inefficient in doing so.
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

There should be some kind of building-code bylaw to not have all-glass facades at ground-level. For example http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/374886/stolen-jeep-used-as-ram-in-metrotown-jewelry-store-robberies/, this mall also has an Apple store, but the store is on the upper level, so no smash-and-grab is possible. Yet the Jewelry stores on the lower level? They just rebuilt the damaged store AND then put the concrete pylons at the mall entrances that didn't previously have them.

Honestly it seems illogical to have all-glass anything. Plenty of condo and office buildings are all-glass exteriors, but they are incredibly energy-inefficient in doing so.

FUD!

post #66 of 69

I guess this was Dr. Dre in a drunken rage after Timmy reneged on his deal due to the Facebook video.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #67 of 69
Oh my god that video of the Temecula robbery is hilarious... Destroying a BMW to steal what looked like a few iPhones? Idiots.
post #68 of 69

Google car?

post #69 of 69
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
Google car?

Yeah, what happens to their self-driving cars when, uh… when Google Maps and Google Internal Maps get confused? :lol:

“Okay car, I need to pick up some milk.”
“Calculating”

*ten minutes later*

~CRASH~

*screaming*

*thump thump* *thump thump*

“We have arrived.”

You open the door, reach out, pick up a gallon of milk from the wall fridge in the dairy aisle of the grocery store, and close the door.

“Charged to Google Wallet. Returning home.”

*thump thump* *thump thump*

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Berkeley Apple Store glass entrance is latest to be smashed by car [u]