or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple - Page 5

post #161 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't owe you an apology because I called you a liar. I would owe an apology if you hadn't lied, but you did, twice.

First lie: You stated that Big Hype was correct in regards to Apple releasing a new product category every two years.

Second lie: You then contradicted your previous sentence and stated it was every three years.

You guys have to be trolling to jack these thread because I have a heard time believing you can't even keep track of what you write in a 9 word comment.

You know you're absolutely right and I stand to be corrected- my memory must be failing but I forgot when I swore on a bible as I was about to testify under oath.
My lawyer forgot to object because everyone else understood what I was referring to except you who took it as lies. My apologies to the court.
You can now attack another poster and high jack the thread with your utter nonsense.
Good evening.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #162 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post
That contradiction is potentially disastrous for apples image !

 

Indeed it is.

 

I use Apple product's because they're the best around.

 

I would never use anything low end like Beats.

post #163 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't owe you an apology because I called you a liar. I would owe an apology if you hadn't lied, but you did, twice.

First lie: You stated that Big Hype was correct in regards to Apple releasing a new product category every two years.

Second lie: You then contradicted your previous sentence and stated it was every three years.

You guys have to be trolling to jack these thread because I have a heard time believing you can't even keep track of what you write in a 9 word comment.

You know you're absolutely right and I stand to be corrected- my memory must be failing but I forgot when I swore on a bible as I was about to testify under oath.
My lawyer forgot to object because everyone else understood what I was referring to except you who took it as lies. My apologies to the court.
You can now attack another poster and high jack the thread with your utter nonsense.
Good evening.

thanks.. and best regards to you pazuzu.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #164 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Indeed it is.

I use Apple product's because they're the best around.

I would never use anything low end like Beats.

Me too ! But if Apple acquire Beats and turn them into gold, then they are good ?

Besides, they are selling well as a premium brand already. Apple certainly know their numbers since AppleStore carry Beats.
post #165 of 243
post #166 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

pazuzu,
leave it. He is an addict. He won't stop.  Have mercy on him, he does not even acknowledge he has an addition. 
As far as winning a debate, my pea brain tells me that debates are decided by the audience, not the debaters.  Everything is on record as to what was said, if anyone gives a damn to review. Don't fall for his weasel game 
and waste your time. Let him be in the world that he has 
chosen to spend all his waking hours on. Its all he has got. Only he can decide when its time to seek help.  If you have any compassion, please leave him alone.  I'm sure you have better things to spend your time on in your own life then he does and its not our job to get him to seek help. 

I spoke to soon. I've always thought of AI as a civil discussion on here- not a debate to be badgered belligerently.
Anyone who never admits they're ever wrong? That speaks miles. Leave it alone.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #167 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

After watching almost the entire Iovine interview, it looks like he's a bit of a braggart about his curation solution, but where's the proof? Isn't it really just a scheme to employ a bunch of DJ's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

That's the Reality Distortion Field mastery and the in-need-of-personality-transplant attribute that goes with it that Jobs built Apple with, that they've been missing since.

Excellent point. The curation model intrigued me yet I didn't even consider that it might not be as good as he claimed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

pazuzu,
leave it. He is an addict. He won't stop.  Have mercy on him, he does not even acknowledge he has an addition. 
As far as winning a debate, my pea brain tells me that debates are decided by the audience, not the debaters.  Everything is on record as to what was said, if anyone gives a damn to review. Don't fall for his weasel game 
and waste your time. Let him be in the world that he has 
chosen to spend all his waking hours on. Its all he has got. Only he can decide when its time to seek help.  If you have any compassion, please leave him alone.  I'm sure you have better things to spend your time on in your own life then he does and its not our job to get him to seek help. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

You know you're absolutely right and I stand to be corrected- my memory must be failing but I forgot when I swore on a bible as I was about to testify under oath.
My lawyer forgot to object because everyone else understood what I was referring to except you who took it as lies. My apologies to the court.
You can now attack another poster and high jack the thread with your utter nonsense.
Good evening.

More passive-aggressive comments, I see.. Do you really think this will help your positions? When you're defeated you should learn from it so you don't make the same mistakes again, but to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Anyone who never admits they're ever wrong? That speaks miles.

Absolutely correct, even if ironic coming from the guy that claims Steve Jobs released new products every two year and every three years.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #168 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

But if Apple acquire Beats and turn them into gold, then they are good ?

 

It makes zero sense for Apple to take a brand that has a not so good reputation with many people and to try to turn a turd into gold.

 

Apple is the most valuable brand in the world, they can just do it themselves, screw beats.

 

If this is about the streaming business only, then maybe that's ok, I don't have any huge issues with that, but if this is about the headphones, then I think that the whole thing sounds disastrous.

post #169 of 243
True story:

Human-assited curation example:

1966, we three IBM reps are in a serious meeting with Henry Dearman, Director of Data Processing for REECO, the prime contractor for the Nevada [atomic] test site.

At one point, Henry calls his secretary, Sherry, into the room and says:  "Write a letter to what's-his-name -- you know what I want to say!"

A few moments later Sherry returns with a letter -- Henry, glances at it and signs it.

We all look around at each other and all laugh -- Sherry gets a Standing O!


That's what I'm talking' about!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #170 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple is the most valuable brand in the world, they can just do it themselves, screw beats.

Assuming Iovine's humanized lists work can Apple really do that themselves in a short time frame, like before the next music-focused event that typically happens in the Autumn?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #171 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

thanks.. and best regards to you pazuzu.

To you too Snova.
And you're absolutely right - it keeps spewing nonsensical venom-can't stop! Must be Very upset because I've disproven his 3 year claim. Note I don't call it a lie.1cool.gif
Edited by pazuzu - 5/9/14 at 2:12pm
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #172 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

True story:

Human-assited curation example:

1966, we three IBM reps are in a serious meeting with Henry Dearman, Director of Data Processing for REECO, the prime contractor for the Nevada [atomic] test site.

At one point, Henry calls his secretary, Sherry, into the room and says:  "Write a letter to what's-his-name -- you know what I want to say!"

A few moments later Sherry returns with a letter -- Henry, glances at it and signs it.

We all look around at each other and all laugh -- Sherry gets a Standing O!


That's what I'm talking' about!

 

That's precisely what I hope to see once real usable artificial intelligence is unleashed. The same kind of "mind reading" and predictive thinking that one gets from a close associate or assistant.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #173 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

 

After watching almost the entire Iovine interview, it looks like he's a bit of a braggart about his curation solution, but where's the proof? Isn't it really just a scheme to employ a bunch of DJ's?

  That's the Reality Distortion Field mastery and the in-need-of-personality-transplant attribute that goes with it that Jobs built Apple with, that they've been missing since.   

Bingo!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #174 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Assuming Iovine's humanized lists work can Apple really do that themselves in a short time frame, like before the next music-focused event that typically happens in the Autumn?

 

If this is about the streaming biz, or music curating, then I'll feel a lot better about the whole situation. I just hope that the hardware part is not involved in any way, shape or form.

post #175 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


Bingo!

 

And it makes me wonder if Tim is subconsciously seeking those same kinds of personalities to fill Steve's void? (not to get to psychoanalytical)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #176 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It makes zero sense for Apple to take a brand that has a not so good reputation with many people and to try to turn a turd into gold.

Apple is the most valuable brand in the world, they can just do it themselves, screw beats.

If this is about the streaming business only, then maybe that's ok, I don't have any huge issues with that, but if this is about the headphones, then I think that the whole thing sounds disastrous.

You see, 60% of the high end headphone market believe Beats give them what they want. They voted with their money.

It's the technologists who declare that the Beats headphones are not up to par. They could be basing their opinions on earlier products, or they have different needs and standards. The numbers show that the market (segments) like Beats. So that's that.

Whether it's headphone or streaming service, I am pretty sure Apple execs will evaluate their options appropriately.

If they inject their tech expertise, then the headphones will likely appeal to tech heads better, hence not crappy anymore.

If they set Beats service loose on iTunes, then they will manage the transition to streaming services.

Either or both ways, Apple decide where they want to go.

Acquiring Beats won't damage their brand.
Edited by patsu - 5/9/14 at 2:16pm
post #177 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If this is about the streaming biz, or music curating, then I'll feel a lot better about the whole situation. I just hope that the hardware part is not involved in any way, shape or form.

It is, which I think Apple could use so hope there is some sort of deal to get that to happen with Apple. It doesn't have to be a rental music service. This could benefit anyone, since we're talking about better Genius Playlists.

Note that Iovine has been in talks with Apple/Jobs since as far back as 2001 so being in talks could mean anything, something, everything, or nothing.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/9/14 at 2:20pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #178 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Note that Iovine has been in talks with Apple/Jobs since as far back as 2001 so being in talks could mean everything, anything, or nothing.

 

Well stated.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #179 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If this is about the streaming biz, or music curating, then I'll feel a lot better about the whole situation. I just hope that the hardware part is not involved in any way, shape or form.

Redux: The Verge has a 90 second video clip where they 1) state it all as a fact which "could be announced as early as next week," 2) comment on how Beats owns over half the premium headphone market, and 3) how Apple would be buying Beats for the brand name, not the IP. Very interesting stuff and an incredible investment for a company Dre and Iovine started in 2008.


Going on the second point alone, and the previous comment about Beats pulling in around $250 to $300 million in profits last year a $3.2 billion purchase wouldn't be crazy, unless a lot of the multiple billion dollar buys we usually see with companies that are lucky to turn a profit.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/9/14 at 2:35pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #180 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Redux: The Verge has a 90 second video clip where they 1) state it all as a fact which "could be announced as early as next week," 2) comment on how Beats owns over half the premium headphone market, and 3) how Apple would be buying Beats for the brand name, not the IP. Very interesting stuff and an incredible investment for a company Dre and Iovine started in 2008.
 
Going on the second point alone, and the previous comment about Beats pulling in around $250 to $300 million in profits last year a $3.2 billion purchase wouldn't be crazy, unless a lot of the multiple billion dollar buys we usually see with companies that are lucky to turn a profit.

 

I wasn't able to watch the video, since they're doing some work in my area, and my connection is really slow at the moment, but your #3 scares me, because that means that Apple is just buying into a trend. So they don't have any valuable IP that is worth buying, but Apple just wants their brand name?

 

Some Apple haters claim that Apple is successful just because of marketing or that it's trendy, but that couldn't be further from the truth of course, because we all know that Apple's success is based on decades of delivering stellar products.

 

Beats were whoring themselves out to any two bit Android player who wanted to include it on their phones. I don't see anything special at all about Apple acquiring that brand. It would devalue the Apple brand and lower my opinion of the company. And I don't think that I'm the only one who believes that, because this rumor and this whole beats deal is pretty polarizing, no matter which forum you go to read about it.

post #181 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Redux: The Verge has a 90 second video clip where they 1) state it all as a fact which "could be announced as early as next week," 2) comment on how Beats owns over half the premium headphone market, and 3) how Apple would be buying Beats for the brand name, not the IP. Very interesting stuff and an incredible investment for a company Dre and Iovine started in 2008.
 
Going on the second point alone, and the previous comment about Beats pulling in around $250 to $300 million in profits last year a $3.2 billion purchase wouldn't be crazy, unless a lot of the multiple billion dollar buys we usually see with companies that are lucky to turn a profit.

 

Again, from my perspective if Apple meant to keep this acquisition secret and intends to maintain the Beats name and placement in their stores, I suppose there is theoretically nothing wrong with this purchase. If Apple rebrands crummy headphones as Apple product, this would be nothing but bad news.

 

Also, for Apple's sake I hope there was a financial penalty attached to that Dr. Dre video that was posted to Facebook. Surely Apple insisted they sign an NDA during this process? We all know in our guts that Jobs would've killed the whole deal (I'm assuming there actually is a deal for the sake of argument) with such a blatant leak.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #182 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

Indeed it is.

 

I use Apple product's because they're the best around.

 

I would never use anything low end like Beats.

Can we stop with this?

 

Beats are good headphones. Overpriced but good. Many people who have no idea what they're listening to will proclaim them bad because other people said they're bad.

 

They're good quality, stylish headphones that sell good, and attract an attractive market who have disposable cash. Whatever tech they have can go into improving earpods and Apple can take the knees out of competitors like HP who made the Beats brand a big part of their identity (especially in those profitable Ultrabooks). 

 

I still think this is mostly about the streaming service, however. 

post #183 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I wasn't able to watch the video, since they're doing some work in my area, and my connection is really slow at the moment, but your #3 scares me, because that means that Apple is just buying into a trend. So they don't have any valuable IP that is worth buying, but Apple just wants their brand name?

Some Apple haters claim that Apple is successful just because of marketing or that it's trendy, but that couldn't be further from the truth of course, because we all know that Apple's success is based on decades of delivering stellar products.

Beats were whoring themselves out to any two bit Android player who wanted to include it on their phones. I don't see anything special at all about Apple acquiring that brand. It would devalue the Apple brand and lower my opinion of the company. And I don't think that I'm the only one who believes that, because this rumor and this whole beats deal is pretty polarizing, no matter which forum you go to read about it.

Well just whoring themselves to Android devices would be something complementary to Apple since the latter won't do it.

As a separate brand, Beats will have more leeway and flexibility in execution.


They certainly won't brand crappy products as Apple products though. That's just common sense.
Edited by patsu - 5/9/14 at 3:34pm
post #184 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post
 

Can we stop with this?

 

Beats are good headphones. Overpriced but good. Many people who have no idea what they're listening to will proclaim them bad because other people said they're bad.

 

They're good quality, stylish headphones that sell good, and attract an attractive market who have disposable cash. Whatever tech they have can go into improving earpods and Apple can take the knees out of competitors like HP who made the Beats brand a big part of their identity (especially in those profitable Ultrabooks). 

 

I still think this is mostly about the streaming service, however. 

 

What a great strategy for Apple to try and emulate what their failed competitors have been doing, like including the beats brand into their products. 

 

And if beats are considered high end, then I must be ultra-high end, because I would never use any beats headphones. I don't really care about their price, I have plenty more expensive headphones than any beats, it's just that I don't like their image. I'm not urban, I don't listen to hip hop and I don't associate beats with quality or good audio. Beats is a newcomer and I see it more as a trend.

 

I'll stick with quality brands like AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics etc., that have been around for a long time and know what they're doing, and that have proven themselves.

post #185 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If this is about the streaming biz, or music curating, then I'll feel a lot better about the whole situation. I just hope that the hardware part is not involved in any way, shape or form.

Redux: The Verge has a 90 second video clip where they 1) state it all as a fact which "could be announced as early as next week," 2) comment on how Beats owns over half the premium headphone market, and 3) how Apple would be buying Beats for the brand name, not the IP. Very interesting stuff and an incredible investment for a company Dre and Iovine started in 2008.


Going on the second point alone, and the previous comment about Beats pulling in around $250 to $300 million in profits last year a $3.2 billion purchase wouldn't be crazy, unless a lot of the multiple billion dollar buys we usually see with companies that are lucky to turn a profit.

Here's an article was exactly the opposite take than the verge video:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2153702/get-to-know-beats-music-the-streaming-service-that-could-make-apple-spend-billions.html
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #186 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

Can we stop with this?

Beats are good headphones. Overpriced but good. Many people who have no idea what they're listening to will proclaim them bad because other people said they're bad.

They're good quality, stylish headphones that sell good, and attract an attractive market who have disposable cash. Whatever tech they have can go into improving earpods and Apple can take the knees out of competitors like HP who made the Beats brand a big part of their identity (especially in those profitable Ultrabooks). 

I still think this is mostly about the streaming service, however. 

I dug around a bit. The earlier headphones may be crappy but the newer ones seem pretty good. So that's good to know.
post #187 of 243

I personally wouldn't pay for a music subscription. I would pay for an iBooks subscription though - read all you can eat for $5/month, that would be awesome. If all music purchasing were to become online subscription, and no one offered tracks for sale any more (i.e. there was just no way to own music any more), it would be interesting to see to see how the public reacts to that.

post #188 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a great strategy for Apple to try and emulate what their failed competitors have been doing, like including the beats brand into their products. 

It's the execution that count. Apple also used an OEM MP3 platform but iPod ends up in a different place from the rest.
Quote:
And if beats are considered high end, then I must be ultra-high end, because I would never use any beats headphones. I don't really care about their price, I have plenty more expensive headphones than any beats, it's just that I don't like their image. I'm not urban, I don't listen to hip hop and I don't associate beats with quality or good audio. Beats is a newcomer and I see it more as a trend.

I'll stick with quality brands like AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics etc., that have been around for a long time and know what they're doing, and that have proven themselves.

Beats is considered high end because people paid good money for their products, and quality is decent now. Some people may not like it because it's "bassy". Then again perhaps that's what the teens want. If Beats tune their headset as neutral as everyone else, they would lose their attractiveness to these people.

I use Sennheiser myself. I probably will use Beats headphone too after Apple have worked their magic. Apple was the new kid on the block to MP3 players at one point.
Edited by patsu - 5/9/14 at 3:33pm
post #189 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I'll stick with quality brands like AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamics etc., that have been around for a long time and know what they're doing, and that have proven themselves.

 

I haven't checked, but does Apple sell other high-end headphones in the Apple Store or online?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #190 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post


I use Sennheiser myself. I probably will use Beats headphone too after Apple have worked their magic. Apple was the new kid on the block to MP3 players at one point.

 

I'm assuming Beats will stay Beats (with little to no measurable difference compared to what they sell now).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #191 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post


I dug around a bit. The earlier headphones may be crappy but the newer ones seem pretty good. So that's good to know.

 

Everything I've read indicates their headphones are still bass-heavy, which might be fine for hip-hop, but bad for rock, classical, etc.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #192 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

I haven't checked, but does Apple sell other high-end headphones in the Apple Store or online?

They do have some various different brands that they sell, but not all brands are represented of course.

 

The most expensive headphones that Apple sells seems to be the Beats Pro, which is $450. The top seller is the Apple earpods with remote for $29.

 

http://store.apple.com/us/accessories/all-accessories/headphones#!&s=topSellers

post #193 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

I'm assuming Beats will stay Beats (with little to no measurable difference compared to what they sell now).

 

 

Nah, Apple have bigger scale. Compared to pre-acquisition, new Beats will be able to source better parts at the same price because of the volume and other Apple contracts. If they have tech sharing, then there will be other improvements as well.

Their production schedule can also be tightened *significantly* (basically roll out h/w faster and more predictably). This is because suppliers prioritize their orders for strategic customers.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 

 

Everything I've read indicates their headphones are still bass-heavy, which might be fine for hip-hop, but bad for rock, classical, etc.


Yes I don't expect that part to change because that's the personality of the Beats headphones. They should be good for gaming and watching movies too, which is probably why the teens like it.

It is fine because if they want, Apple may roll out its own brand of neutral sounding gears.

I would not be surprised if headphones become the first wearable gears Apple rollout.


Edited by patsu - 5/9/14 at 3:54pm
post #194 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I wasn't able to watch the video, since they're doing some work in my area, and my connection is really slow at the moment, but your #3 scares me, because that means that Apple is just buying into a trend. So they don't have any valuable IP that is worth buying, but Apple just wants their brand name?

Some Apple haters claim that Apple is successful just because of marketing or that it's trendy, but that couldn't be further from the truth of course, because we all know that Apple's success is based on decades of delivering stellar products.

Beats were whoring themselves out to any two bit Android player who wanted to include it on their phones. I don't see anything special at all about Apple acquiring that brand. It would devalue the Apple brand and lower my opinion of the company. And I don't think that I'm the only one who believes that, because this rumor and this whole beats deal is pretty polarizing, no matter which forum you go to read about it.
if Apple is buying Beats for the brand or because they think it will inject some cool factor into Apple them we have problems in Cupertino and I fear for the future of the company.
post #195 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Or the contrarian view is Cook the bean counter won't touch beats headphones

I disagree with this comment.
Quote:
if Apple is buying Beats for the brand or because they think it will inject some cool factor into Apple them we have problems in Cupertino and I fear for the future of the company.

I agree with this comment.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #196 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


if Apple is buying Beats for the brand or because they think it will inject some cool factor into Apple them we have problems in Cupertino and I fear for the future of the company.


Buying Beats for the brand is not a problem. What they do with the acquired brand is more interesting to see. We don't know it yet.


I don't know why you think Cook is a bean counter. This $3.2b acquisition rumor (if confirmed), and the investment in Sapphire manufacturing say otherwise.
 


Edited by patsu - 5/9/14 at 3:52pm
post #197 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm assuming Beats will stay Beats (with little to no measurable difference compared to what they sell now).
It blows my mind why Apple would want to be associated with an overpriced crap product. Every negative stereotype of Apple fits Beats to a T.
post #198 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


It blows my mind why Apple would want to be associated with an overpriced crap product. Every negative stereotype of Apple fits Beats to a T.


Have you used a Beats headphone say... for movies and gaming ? I am going to try soon.

post #199 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post


Buying Beats for the brand is not a problem. What they do with the acquired brand is more interesting to see. We don't know it yet.



I don't know why you think Cook is a bean counter. This $3.2b acquisition rumor, and the investment in Sapphire manufacturing says otherwise.

 
When has Apple ever purchased another company for its brand? From everything we can tell there is no valuable IP or other technology that Beats has. Maybe it's the deals they have with the record companies but how likely is it that those would transfer to Apple? So basically you have Apple spending $3B to get young people whose parents overpay for crappy headphones to think Apple is cool.
post #200 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

if Apple is buying Beats for the brand or because they think it will inject some cool factor into Apple them we have problems in Cupertino and I fear for the future of the company.

 

All Apple has to do is continue making the best products that they can. If they do that, then the rest takes care of itself. 

 

If Apple tries to buy something mainly based on it's perceived "coolness" factor, then I would argue that Apple has abandoned their mission directive and lost it's soul.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple