or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 243

Was trying to point this aspect up in one of the earlier threads.

 

Seems like a great opportunity to take Siri to the next level. And then onto the TV.

post #82 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

 

Stock has been up almost $70B the last 2 weeks.  It was due for a slight correction.

 

No stock goes straight up.

Yeah, sure...

post #83 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Before the internet, that's what friends were for. 1smoking.gif

Well, one of the things ...

How we listen to music may have changed drastically since the advent of the iPod. I know I am much more likely to listen to music with in-ear phones, unlike when I was younger. I still find new music via friends but I am not accidentally/randomly coming across new music that tweaks my ears.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #84 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Yeah, sure...

 

Oh give me a break.  It's down about 1%.

 

And he was right: No stock goes up and up and up forever.  

post #85 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

According to @snova and @Rogifan, if Apple says nothing it means it's definitely happening. Now where is my iPhone mini* and Apple HDTV?

Give it a rest SolipsismX.  flat out lying about what I said is not helping your desire to appear open minded and fair. You are welcome to quote and post where I said what you claim and if not you by you, then anyone else is welcome to review what I said for themselves.

 

btw, need more sandbags or are you ready to start picking out condiments to go with that crow?  You have pretty much done a 180 from where you started about this can not possibly true because YOU and anyone else here is not able figure out the reported 3.2B valuation.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #86 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Give it a rest SolipsismX.  flat out lying about what I said is not helping your desire to appear open minded and fair. You are welcome to quote and post where I said what you claim and if not you by you, then anyone else is welcome to review what I said for themselves.

btw, need more sandbags or are you ready to start picking out condiments to go with that crow?  You have pretty much done a 180 from where you started.

I would love for you to explain this 180 I've done. Please cite any and all contradictory comments.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #87 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Yeah, sure...

 

Oh give me a break.  It's down about 1%.

 

And he was right: No stock goes up and up and up forever.  

most of the market is down. big whoop.  If Apple was smart they would choose today as a day to buyback some more stock if the lowered stock price had anything to do with people who don't know shit about the deal and true value to the company in the future.


Edited by snova - 5/9/14 at 11:46am
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #88 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post
 

Anybody hear seen the financials of Apple's and Beats' music business? How about Beats' headphones business?  No?  Then STFU!  You have no basis for judging whether $3.2B is too much.  

we are aligned and pretty much the same thing I have been saying. bravo. Wait and see what happens and why. Everything else on here will be noise and SWAGs.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #89 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

most of the market is down. big whoop. 

So what? Apple often trades inverse to the market, and especially on a day when a big rumor is revealed, I'd say that it's telling that the stock did not react positively.

 

Rumors about big buyouts often move stocks.

post #90 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

most of the market is down. big whoop. 

So what? Apple often trades inverse to the market, and especially on a day when a big rumor is revealed, I'd say that it's telling that the stock did not react positively.

 

Rumors about big buyouts often move stocks.

if true, then Apple would be buying today and make good use out of the buyback program funds

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #91 of 243

This is not going to happen for $3.2 billions.

post #92 of 243

Wow, the level of idiocy in this thread is astounding. Steve Jobs did not introduce an all-new, revolutionary product category every 3 years. That is fact. In fact, it was six years between the release of the iPod (2001) and iPhone (2007). Most companies go through their entire lifespan without releasing a single revolutionary new product, and a lot more than just Steve Jobs went into the ones that Apple did create.

 

Scott Forstall was a visionless, abrasive asshole who alienated his peers and who released half-baked products like Apple Maps, said they were ready for primetime, and embarrassed the company. Steve Jobs was an obsessive perfectionist who, despite being abrasive, was a visionary and excellent leader. To compare Forstall to Jobs is an insult to Jobs's memory. Tim Cook was right to fire him.

 

Under Tim Cook, Apple has ...

Released the first mobile devices powered by a 64-bit SOC.

Released the first actual, working fingerprint identification system on a mobile device.

Released a first-of-its-kind Mac Pro.

Released Apple CarPlay, the first major step towards providing a solution to in-car systems.

Released iBeacons, a technology that will become a major part of our daily lives in the years to come and which is already seeing adoption in a wide variety of venues (retail, entertainment, etc.), and will only become increasingly important as time goes on.

And so on.

 

You people who complain about Apple's lack of innovation need to get your heads out of your asses. If you think you're really smarter than the people Apple employs, why don't you apply for a job in Cupertino and show them what you can do? You think there's some magic wand that Steve Jobs could wave and *POOF* new product categories appeared? No. It's not that simple.

 

In regards to the Beats acquisition, which may still be a load of crap ... Apple has made a lot of smart acquisitions over the last couple years covering a wide variety of services and technologies. None of us know what's going on with this Beats deal, but if Apple is willing to spend $3.2 billion on it, it must be something important. Something they can't replicate. Something that involves the future of their business. I may disagree with the stock repurchase and the dividend increase, but aside from those two decisions Apple has proven to be very smart with its money and very deliberate in its actions.

 

So how about, instead of running around crying "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" we take a breather, see if this is even real or not (Dre's video could just be a huge publicity stunt), and trust the folks who actually know what's going on when they decide that whatever Beats has that Apple wants is worth the price Apple is paying for it.

 

And we can all pretty much take it for granted that whatever Apple's after, it's not the brand of overpriced headphones.

post #93 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post
 

None of us know what's going on with this Beats deal, but if Apple is willing to spend $3.2 billion on it, it must be something important. 

exactly.     Important enough for CEO to meet CEO face to face, 1 year ago.   The companies comments said it was an "informal" meeting in the article, which is laughable.  CEO don't go around informally meeting face to face.  If and when they do, that happens at a public event or dinner out.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #94 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interview of Iovine with Mossberg: http://live.wsj.com/video/producer-jimmy-iovine-at-d-dive-into-media/B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21.html#!B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21 (video, approx. 40 minutes)


1) He pooh-poohs Apple's included headphones. For that reason alone I'd like to see Apple do anything that will correct that.

2) This makes me think about the previous rumour of high-quality music being sold. Could Iovine be instrumental in getting that to happen?

3) Beats bought MOG earlier this year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOG_(online_music)

4) Iovine talks about how Spotify is limited. He makes a lot of good points.

5) That algorithm sounds like it's right up Apple's street.

6) I love what he had to said (starting about 28 minutes in) about how music companies will never get technology right and technology companies will never get curation right. I'm digging this idea of excellent curation and I do want to know what the next song is.

I don't mean to cherry-pick your quotes -- rather to curate them 1wink.gif


I think this could be a new buying service -- kinda' iTunes on steroids.

Think of it this way, it [Apple] knows (with your approval):
  • who you are
  • where you are
  • what you're doing
  • what kind of mood you're in
  • what stimulates your various moods
  • your credit card
  • potentially
    • How much money you have to spend
    • what you want to buy
    • what is important to you
    • who you want to buy it from
    • comparative products, sources and prices
    • what's in your shopping cart

We're talking' about a curation engine that understands you!

Of what value could that possibly be?


For those who didn't see it in the earlier thread:
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #95 of 243
I actually like the deal. Hoping it will happen.

A Facebook friend posted about the Beats streaming service about 2 months back. I liked what I saw and was thinking to myself that Apple should have done iRadio this way.

I didn't subscribe because the first sign-up screen asks for my cell number, email and other details. I wasn't ready to commit all these so quickly. If it's Apple, it would be a different story.

Was surprised to see the rumor pop up yesterday, but glad too.


As for the headphone business, I have always wondered what Apple want to do next after Earpod.

Reinventing headphones just struck me as a natural next step. It is a wearable tech product, so common that I totally forgot about it. With high enough margin in the premium headphone market, Apple should be able to reinvent it as much as they want. It would solve Beats' perception issue amongst technologists that technology is lacking behind the product.
post #96 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't mean to cherry-pick your quotes -- rather to curate them 1wink.gif


I think this could be a new buying service -- kinda' iTunes on steroids.

Think of it this way, it [Apple] knows (with your approval):
  • who you are
  • where you are
  • what kind of mood you're in
  • what stimulates your various moods
  • your credit card
  • potentially
    • How much money you have to spend
    • what you want to buy
    • what is important to you
    • who you want to buy it from
    • comparative products, sources and prices
    • what's in your shopping cart

We're talking' about a curation engine that understands you!

Of what value could that possibly be?


For those who didn't see it in the earlier thread:

No. Don't do yet another buying or recommendation engine Apple. Use human curators.
post #97 of 243
Still waiting for @snova to show where I made an absolute statement against this acquisition happening just to do a near 180 saying it will happen.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #98 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post
 

Wow, the level of idiocy in this thread is astounding. Steve Jobs did not introduce an all-new, revolutionary product category every 3 years. That is fact. In fact, it was six years between the release of the iPod (2001) and iPhone (2007). Most companies go through their entire lifespan without releasing a single revolutionary new product, and a lot more than just Steve Jobs went into the ones that Apple did create.

 

Scott Forstall was a visionless, abrasive asshole who alienated his peers and who released half-baked products like Apple Maps, said they were ready for primetime, and embarrassed the company. Steve Jobs was an obsessive perfectionist who, despite being abrasive, was a visionary and excellent leader. To compare Forstall to Jobs is an insult to Jobs's memory. Tim Cook was right to fire him.

 

Under Tim Cook, Apple has ...

Released the first mobile devices powered by a 64-bit SOC.

Released the first actual, working fingerprint identification system on a mobile device.

Released a first-of-its-kind Mac Pro.

Released Apple CarPlay, the first major step towards providing a solution to in-car systems.

Released iBeacons, a technology that will become a major part of our daily lives in the years to come and which is already seeing adoption in a wide variety of venues (retail, entertainment, etc.), and will only become increasingly important as time goes on.

And so on.

 

You people who complain about Apple's lack of innovation need to get your heads out of your asses. If you think you're really smarter than the people Apple employs, why don't you apply for a job in Cupertino and show them what you can do? You think there's some magic wand that Steve Jobs could wave and *POOF* new product categories appeared? No. It's not that simple.

 

In regards to the Beats acquisition, which may still be a load of crap ... Apple has made a lot of smart acquisitions over the last couple years covering a wide variety of services and technologies. None of us know what's going on with this Beats deal, but if Apple is willing to spend $3.2 billion on it, it must be something important. Something they can't replicate. Something that involves the future of their business. I may disagree with the stock repurchase and the dividend increase, but aside from those two decisions Apple has proven to be very smart with its money and very deliberate in its actions.

 

So how about, instead of running around crying "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" we take a breather, see if this is even real or not (Dre's video could just be a huge publicity stunt), and trust the folks who actually know what's going on when they decide that whatever Beats has that Apple wants is worth the price Apple is paying for it.

 

And we can all pretty much take it for granted that whatever Apple's after, it's not the brand of overpriced headphones.

 

Thanks for bring some sanity to the subject

post #99 of 243
First the rumors of a 5.5 inch Phablet iPhone - something they said they'd never do and now this Beats thing! I've tried out Beats headphones, they're crap! Flashy with poor build quality and terrible overtly bass heavy sound. They lack the quality and excellent industrial design of most Apple products. I hope this doesn't happen, Beats are not worth the outlay!
post #100 of 243
"High end headphones". That's laughable.
post #101 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't mean to cherry-pick your quotes -- rather to curate them 1wink.gif


I think this could be a new buying service -- kinda' iTunes on steroids.

Think of it this way, it [Apple] knows (with your approval):
  • who you are
  • where you are
  • what kind of mood you're in
  • what stimulates your various moods
  • your credit card
  • potentially
    • How much money you have to spend
    • what you want to buy
    • what is important to you
    • who you want to buy it from
    • comparative products, sources and prices
    • what's in your shopping cart

We're talking' about a curation engine that understands you!

Of what value could that possibly be?


For those who didn't see it in the earlier thread:

No. Don't do yet another buying or recommendation engine Apple. Use human curators.

You misunderstand -- What beats does human-driven curation based on you, your, mood, the moment!

Watch the linked Walt/Jimmy video!

http://video-api.wsj.com/api-video/player/iframe.html?guid=B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21&mg=reno64-wsj

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/14 at 12:18pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #102 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

First the rumors of a 5.5 inch Phablet iPhone - something they said they'd never do and now this Beats thing! I've tried out Beats headphones, they're crap! Flashy with poor build quality and terrible overtly bass heavy sound. They lack the quality and excellent industrial design of most Apple products. I hope this doesn't happen, Beats are not worth the outlay!

There are more than one Beats headphone. The original Beats by Dre are he only ones I'm aware of being overly bassy

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #103 of 243
We may laugh now.

But if Beats could market regular headphones for a premium, what can they do when Apple put its build quality and high tech into Beats ? ^_^
post #104 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Still waiting for @snova to show where I made an absolute statement against this acquisition happening just to do a near 180 saying it will happen.

I don't waste my time with people who are trying to set me up with weasel games.  Anyone who has (or wants to) carefully review our dialog can see your change in positioning. very surprised to see you taking on this approach, I am shocked to see you heading down this path used so often by trolls here and the things you have been posting about this for the past 2 days. It's out of character for you.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #105 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You misunderstand -- What beats does human-driven curation based on you, your, mood, the moment!

Watch the linked Walt/Jimmy video!

Yes, then we are in "violent" agreement.
post #106 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So NOT every 2 years? You can't even keep you lie straight with a less than 10 word response. Shameful.

And that 3 year difference between the iOS-based iPhone and iOS-based iPad was only ONCE, NOT the very 3 year occurrence you have claimed.

ANNND on top of that the iPad was in dev before the iPhone, it was just on the back burner, so the one "concession" you could give him doesn't hold up well either.  He's just factually wrong. 

post #107 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I don't waste my time with people who are trying to set me up with weasel games.  Anyhow who is carefully reading our dialog can see your change in positioning. very surprised to see you taking on this approach, I am shocked to see you heading down this path used so often by trolls here.

You've accused me of lying on many occasions now and have yet to back up these claims.

I think your problem is a lack of reading comprehension (as opposed to just being a troll). I was trying to get you to come to that realization yourself, however, you seem adamantly opposed to backing up your accusations.

This is what I see from you: I write, "I don't see how this benefits Apple. Could someone clue me in?" Yet you seem to read, "Apple won't buy Beats and anyone that thinks so is an asshole."

So, please, show me where I made an absolute statement that the deal won't happen and where I'm now saying it will happen. I'll take either one of those. I'm certainly not going to back off since you've made it your mission to call me a liar.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #108 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

 If Apple was smart they would....

Just so you know...this is when the world stops listening.


Edited by pmz - 5/9/14 at 2:10pm
post #109 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

"High end headphones". That's laughable.
Replace high end with high priced.
post #110 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

If you're telling me that a $500B company like Apple, a company responsible for one of the most radical reinventions and redefinitions of the music industry in decades, doesn't have the internal talent to take on a task like the one you're getting at any better than a headphones maker and start-up streaming service, then Apple has far worse problems that I thought.

 

I think it's become one of those conundrums that nobody really knows how to advance the business.  I'll say this, if Apple really is buying Beats, it's not for the company at its present, but for its future.  They would need to have substantial and articulate visions that Apple has bought into philosophically.  Then, even if Apple thought they could do it on their own, something obvious, it might be too late.  They heard the pitch, probably under some Non-Disclosure Agreement scenario and in order to keep the vision away from competitors or run afoul of violating the IP of Beats, they have to now be the buyer.  (just my little theory)

post #111 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I thought it was the Department of Redundancy Department.
This message brought to by the Needless Corrections Bureau.

Ha ha ha! Right you are. I get a quite a few quotes from that era misremembered. Wonder why? : )

In Ft. Leavenworth, KS (yeah, yeah, I know, I know), they have the famous Junior Junior High school:


General George S. Patton Jr. Junior High School

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #112 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

We may laugh now.

But if Beats could market regular headphones for a premium, what can they do when Apple put its build quality and high tech into Beats ? ^_^

As much as I am convinced this has absolutely nothing to do with Beats's second-rate headphones ... you are absolutely, 100% correct. Beats is currently able to sell crap as gold. Imagine if Apple were to take that brand and actually make that crap not crap anymore, and still sell it at a premium? (Of course, the counterargument is that Apple could in all likelihood do that already without spending the extra money on the Beats brand.)

 

Again, I don't think the headphones are a primary, or even secondary, concern for Apple. It may just be an added bonus.

 

Or, and here's a fun thought: maybe Apple is trying to save us all from Beats by Dre? This could be their way of cleansing the world of that brand.

post #113 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

We may laugh now.

But if Beats could market regular headphones for a premium, what can they do when Apple put its build quality and high tech into Beats ? ^_^
What experience does Apple have in high quality audio? Buzzfeed claims Jimmy Iovine will oversee Apple's music strategy. If true that means Cook and the Board don't have confidence in Eddy Cue's ability to oversee Apple's future music strategy.
post #114 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

 If Apple was smart they would....

Just so you...this is when the world stops listening.

sorry? come again? what are you trying to say?

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #115 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


You misunderstand -- What beats does human-driven curation based on you, your, mood, the moment!

Watch the linked Walt/Jimmy video!

http://video-api.wsj.com/api-video/player/iframe.html?guid=B135580F-2DC6-47CD-8BAD-924E07AB6C21&mg=reno64-wsj

 

Hmm... that interview with Walt explains a lot. Apple is buying a person. But come on! $3.2 billion?! Is Tim going to have Jimmy Iovine run iTunes like a completely separate business, like how 3M has many diverse divisions that all need to prove their worth to the company or they are spun off or shut down?

 

If Apple is going to be in the business of acquiring other businesses now for growth, versus growing the business themselves, shouldn't they also be seriously looking into buying AT&T, Hulu (or Netflix), and other such core (as in the case of iPhone business) or peripherally important (as in headphones) businesses?

 

Personally, I see this as a defining and significant departure from Apple's strategy until now.


Edited by SpamSandwich - 5/9/14 at 12:52pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #116 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Buzzfeed claims Jimmy Iovine will oversee Apple's music strategy. If true that means Cook and the Board don't have confidence in Eddy Cue's ability to oversee Apple's future music strategy.

That's an interesting proposition. Getting a bona fide music guy who has had success with running a company sounds like a brilliant move to me. Apple clearly has the infrastructure for iTunes set up so could this be the next step? Still wonder what the $3.2 billion would be for but I do love the idea of getting Iovine as an executive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

sorry? come again? what are you trying to say?

Come on! You can't be that daft?! You're "If Apple was smart they would..." is right up with "If Steve Jobs were alive…" comments. Here's a more reasonable way you could have written your sentence. "This might be a good time for Apple to buy back some stock."

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #117 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

sorry? come again? what are you trying to say?

Come on! You can't be that daft?! You're "If Apple was smart they would..." is right up with "If Steve Jobs were alive…" comments. Here's a more reasonable way you could have written your sentence. "This might be a good time for Apple to buy back some stock."

I guess I am daft then per your analysis and expert guidance. After all, you have 16000 posts in the same period I have only had 1100.  I know when to quit trying to reason with an addict .  You win.  I'm done.

 

and if the poster wanted to put things into full context,  they would have posted my entire sentence which stated the condition at the very end.

"If Apple was smart they would choose today as a day to buyback some more stock if the lowered stock price had anything to do with people who don't know shit about the deal and true value to the company in the future."


Edited by snova - 5/9/14 at 12:51pm
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #118 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

 
If you're telling me that a $500B company like Apple, a company responsible for one of the most radical reinventions and redefinitions of the music industry in decades, doesn't have the internal talent to take on a task like the one you're getting at any better than a headphones maker and start-up streaming service, then Apple has far worse problems that I thought.

I think it's become one of those conundrums that nobody really knows how to advance the business.  I'll say this, if Apple really is buying Beats, it's not for the company at its present, but for its future.  They would need to have substantial and articulate visions that Apple has bought into philosophically.  Then, even if Apple thought they could do it on their own, something obvious, it might be too late.  They heard the pitch, probably under some Non-Disclosure Agreement scenario and in order to keep the vision away from competitors or run afoul of violating the IP of Beats, they have to now be the buyer.  (just my little theory)

I think that that's a reasoned assessment.

Most here, including myself, are looking at this from the perspective of a techie, shareholder, experienced Apple customer with an understanding of their products and services.

But there are different perspectives -- the creatives -- the consumers of music/media ...

And, yes, the self-entitled youth of today who believe they are due the constant satisfaction of every need and desire (a never-ending I'm so bored, are we there yet?).

This latter group will mature and moderate their sense of entitlement to a degree ... but, these are the customers and leaders of the future.
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 5/9/14 at 1:11pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #119 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

We may laugh now.

But if Beats could market regular headphones for a premium, what can they do when Apple put its build quality and high tech into Beats ? ^_^
What experience does Apple have in high quality audio? Buzzfeed claims Jimmy Iovine will oversee Apple's music strategy. If true that means Cook and the Board don't have confidence in Eddy Cue's ability to oversee Apple's future music strategy.

Jimmy has 40 plus years of experience and connections in the music industry -- Eddy doesn't have the time to attain equivalent chops!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #120 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If they earned $1B in 2013, with Apple's muscle that $3.2B outlay won't be long in being recovered.

it is not their earnings .. It is their total rev revenue!

A guesstimate to their earnings would be about aprox 250 tp 300 million !

Apples New mantra if deal goes through!

We will sell you mediocracy but make you feel you have the best.
This is the new apple !? An illusion of the best ! And we are proud of it !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Beats deal defenders cite 'humanized' music subscription service as benefit to Apple